Jai Alai IPA | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

#633
4.5

Ratings: 8,158 |  Reviews: 1,574
4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Orange amber body. Slight, off-white head. Not much retention or lacing. Not sure to chalk it up to the growler.

S: Bright, fruit, semi-bitter citric hops. Pineapple, grapefruit, orange, tangerine. Somewhat hidden pine and floral notes. Slight caramel malt backbone coming through.

T: Not quite as assertive as the nose lead on. The citric notes are somewhat muted and blurred while the malt is a bit more amped up.

M: Smooth, medium bodied. Good carbonation. Crisp finish.

D: Fairly good brew. Eager to try it on tap once it lands here in PA. The trick that the nose played on first sip was a bit disappointing, but all things considered I was pleased.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Boom!!! world class IPA

appearance: red-amberish

smell: strong hop aroma and citrus notes

taste: heavy citrus/grapefruit flavor, very solid IPA along with all of their others. loved the strong citrus taste!

mouthfeel: medium bodied IPA, decently balanced

drinkability: overall one of the best. I would love to try this with some other top IPAs. Very very close to being double.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to RoyMunson for sharing this brew.

A: Pours a coppery amber, hazy as he'll. Medium sized head with a bit of retention and some lacing.

S: Plenty of oranges, grapefruit, pineapple with some pine and resin to support. Real juicy. A bit of sweet malt but not much there.

T/M: Nice crisp bitterness, nice hard water. More of the grapefruit thane orange and pineapple and some more resin than pine. Pleasantly balancingats that don't get big or sticky. Body is around medium with nice carbonation.

D: drinks easy and is nice and tasty.

Pours a nice reddish amber in color. Nice quarter inch of frothy head forms on the pour. Leaves very nice, spotty lacing on the entire inside of the glass.
Smell is floral, citrusy hops. Smells very enticing and welcoming.
Plenty of hop goodness in the flavor. Nice bitterness in the flavor.
Medium mouthfeel. Very nice and easy drinking. Would like to have a brewery like Cigar City local to me. They are very creative and solid in everything they do.
Will continue to seek out more of their beers.

2.38/5  rDev -44.4%

Wow. Am i surprised by all the positive feedback on this beer. I found it to be worse than unmemorable. The flavor was too strong for a standard ipa, very alcohol tasting and not enough sweetness or bitterness to balance it. Aroma was nothing special and the mouthfeel was average. Color is a typical amber. There's not much I can say about this beer.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Cigar City - Jai Alai IPA
Cigar City Brewing
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.50 %
9/25/09 European Street Jax Beach, FL

4/4.5/5.0/4.0/5.0
A very sessionable but stronger IPA - EXCELLENT!. Not to overly hopped, and definetly more on the citrus hop spectrum which is my preference. Nice stronger ABV to slow you down and not fill you up.

Golden Copper in color, nice head reduced to bumpy cratered cap. Nice aromas of dark citrus fruits dancing with nice sweet malt. Taste follows aromas, hop forward taste with balanced caramel and toffee support. Mouthfeel is a medium+ body supported by medium level carbonation.

4.71/5  rDev +10%

Yet another tap filled bottle courtesy of THE NutBrown. Thanks Alan!

A nice hiss when I popped the cap, it pours a clear and bright copper colour with a good 1 finger head of foam. This is a really bright coloured brew...I almost need to get the shades out it is that bright. ;^)

Let's see how this puppy smells. First I get a butt load of hop aromas, some citrus and some pine, then I get some caramel malt sweetness and some nice fruity tones. Very nice indeed.

First sip and another mmm. The hops are in full force during the intial taste(pine and grapefruit) and return big time in the finish. In between, I get a good solid malt profile with lots of caramel and some toasty notes with a hit of some tropical fruit goodness like mango. Yummy and I'm glad I decided to drink this near room temperature as I'm getting the full monty of flavours here and now.

This tastes like it is dry hopped or maybe they used hop oils? Whichever, I'm finding it hard not to drain this bottle in mere minutes as this is *so* damn tasty and silky smooth and balanced that it's actually scary. In a very good way.

The mouthfeel is excellent where it is...a lightish medium and the carbonation is decidedly light but that makes the liquid glide over you tongue and down the throat with ease and total enjoyment. And...as far as head retention and lacing go, it bows down to nobody. Read a solid 1/2 inch layer with 1/3 of the beer remaining in the glass and a ring of lacing after every sip.

Drinkability? Wow. Can any American IPA be more drinkable than this one? I've had quite a few IPAs over the years and Jai Alai *has* to be in the top 2 of all time for me.

Floridians should be very proud to have a brewery like Cigar City and I'm very happy that my buddy NutBrown was able to send me this wonderful tap offering from the great state of New York. This is an amazing brew!

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Clear copper color with a near-white frothy head. Froth was wavy with some periodic bubbling. Very nice looking glass of ale.

Faint tobacco, sweet citrus, and leather on the aroma. I did not have tobacco on my mind, as this is a CC beer, but it was became apparent to me as it warmed up. The aroma on this one took me a while to figure out. Some whiffs I liked, some I did not as much.

A nice pleasant peach/citrus note hit me first, followed by a dense rye/sourdough maltiness. I usually like my IPAs to be more hop forward, but I enjoyed the maltiness in this one. The hops really shined toward the middle-back. The only part that I found off-putting was the faint tobacco flavor...not really my thing. Long lasting pink grapefruit along with the rye (?) made for a very interesting finish. Quite resiny or chalky mouthfeel and felt on my teeth. I drank my pint with no problem, and could have had another.

All in all, a very solid effort from these Tampa guys. Lots of hype for the new kids on the block, with a darn good IPA. I give them credit for crafting an IPA different than most you would find brewed in the Southeast.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Small, white head with little lace. The body is clear with a copper-brown color.

S - Fruity citrus, lots of pineapple and apricots, balanced by a good dose of caramel and toasted malt.

T - Lots of caramel malt sweetness battles with an equally big hop flavor. The fruity hops blend with malt sweetness and border on cloying. The malt character finished a bit darker that it initially tasted, with a hint of roast barley and tobacco.

M - A moderately thick, oily body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - Well balanced and, if anything, a bit on the malty side despite the big hop aroma. Very drinkable, this combines a great hop character with rich, thick malt and almost comes across as an east coast DIPA like DFH 90min.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Growler from Cigar City shared at a BA tasting thanks to mfielden.

A - Clear copper-amber color with a nice off-white head and great lacing.

S - Sweet malt, floral hops, and light fruits. Maybe a touch of honey.

T - Wildflower honey, caramel, earth, citrus and floral hops. Pretty tasty.

M - Palate pretty good for the style; medium body and with some nice smooth carbonation.

D - Average-plus for an IPA.

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

Man, oh, man. After all the times I have had this beer, I finally decided to sit down and review it. 32oz growler poured into my Cigar City pint glass.

This one pours deep amber with a rusty hue. Perfect clarity. A rocky off-white head rose two fingers high and slowly dissipated to a thick quarter-inch cap of foam. Some of the best lacing I have seen. There is a ring all the way around the glass from the initial pour.

Smell is amazing. Citrusy. A bit of mint and pine aroma comes through. Tropical fruits are there as well. Maybe mango?

Taste is very refreshing. Nice and fruity with a fairly harsh yet enjoyable citrus edge. Sharp grapefruit on the finish. I love this beer.

Very smooth mouthfeel. Could perhaps use a bit more carbonation, but this might be unique to this growler. A sticky finish that puckers my mouth up.

The drinkability of this one is extremely high given its ABV. I shudder to think what Wayne and Joey would do with a DIPA considering their IPA is pushing about 7.5%. Goood to the last drop.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Reviewed with my pops on 9/6/09 served out of a wine glass.

Appearance: cloudy amber/orange poured little head. Very spotty lacing.

Smell: Piney, dried logan fruit and subtle hints of citrus hops.

Taste: opens with a mild bittering hop with hint of malts.Malts profile intensifies from the middle to the end as floral hops be come more prominent in the finish leaving a floral, malty and slightly minty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied at most, minimal carbonation and rather silky smooth.
Drinkability: I would defintely have this again and definitely worth a try. Cigar city's brew have been very consistent in their line of beers.

Got this one in trade from Jw347. Thanks, Jonathan.

A-Pours a clear amber with light honey overtones.

S-somewhat piney and resinous with a small spicy note that I can not identify.

T-Piney hops and toasty malts. Deep roastiness beyond what you would expect from the nose. Very nice.

M-Medium bodied with moderate bitterness.

D-Very tasty. Wish I had more.

HV

3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

Had this one a couple of times thanks to mfielden; thanks Mark. Dark amber color with a thick white head that retains well. Toasted grain and caramel aroma. Moderately hoppy nose, but leaning toward the malty side; the hops have a resiny, citrusy character with a touch of tropical fruit. The taste is decidedly East Coast, very balanced between caramel malts and citrusy hops, with malts taking precedence slightly. Mango and grapefruit hop flavors appear mid-palate, but never truly shine due to the heavy malt backbone. Bittersweet in the finish. Solid stuff, but not my favorite take on the style.

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap at New World Brewery,Ybor City, Tampa, 6/20/09, in a Cigar City Pint Glass.

Pours a deep orange almost amber color with a massive eggshell head of around two fingers. The head is slow to recede, leaving a tacky lacing in its wake.

Smells of tropical fruits. Apricot,orange,tangerine, and a dash of resinous pine.

Tastes of citrus and pine with a malt backbone to balance things out although still a bit to the hop side.

mouth feel is right on, good carbonation.

drinkability gets a dangerously good from me. reminds me of some Pisgah brews. just goes down too easy to go with the quality. one of the better IPA's I've had.

Put FL on the must have map!

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Growler obtained at CCB on 6/19, consumed same day. Poured into a tulip.

A: Hazy burnt orange color. One and a half fingers of light kahki head appears then receeds to a quarter inch, and leaves awsome thick lace.

A: Great blend of cascade and simcoe hops. Grapefruit, orange, mango, and lime are present as well. Sweet malts give it an excellent balance.

T: Very nice balance here. Caramely from the malts, and crisp citrus from the hops.

M: Medium body, rather resinous mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Huge marks on drinkability here. 7.5% ABV can get dangerous, but this is sessionable. I really like this beer. I little heavier than most IPA's but the taste is soooo refreshing. I can't wait to review the ceadr and flora versions of this one. Kudos to Wanye and Joey for crafting a very fine beer. Skal.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

What is it with these guys from Tampa! My second 32ounce growler of the night and again I am floored. Served cold and poured into a pint glass.

The pour was perfect, no other way to put it. Rich amber in color with a light copper touch to it. Perfect head rises up to about an inch and a half and never really settles down below that level. Sticky lace all over this thing, just dripping down the sides of the glass. Pungent orange and citrus notes just rip through the air. Intense pineapple and some subtle sweet biscuit like notes as it warms. Just fresh, crisp, resin filled goodness. As I take a sip, wave after wave of crushing fresh hops just collide on my tongue, remarkable. Lots of ornage with a light biscuit like flavor mid palate before a sticky, dry hoppy finish just wins me over. Insanely drinkable, almost too drinkable as it went down like candy.

Overall not sure what else I can say here, this is easily one of the best and most solid IPA;s I have come across. I would love to have this one on tap everyday

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Another beer I had on tap a few times in Tampa, even had notes, but am having to finish this growler off before its no good. Previous tastes made me feel very strongly about this IPA. Pours a burnt orange color with a solid 1 1/2 finger head. Nice sticky lacing left on the glass after a few sips. A real pleasant floral hop aroma, some nice pine and a little less bitter grapefruit citrus hints too. A solid bitterness in the taste, much more pine based than the hop aroma would lead one to believe. Well balanced though. I am normally more of a fan of the stronger citrus hop taste, but this pine works very well. Fair carbonization helps lighten up this rather strong & dense IPA. A very smooth drinker, easily a sessionable IPA for me. Obviously freshness of hops is key to IPAs, and this growler was poured at the brewery a few days ago, but wow, I wish we had this locally, I'd buy it all the time.

Poured a cloudy golden orange with a two-finger head that dies quickly but leaves some lace. A heavier than usual smell of citric and floral hops; hints of grape and heavier fruits. Medium-bodied and smooth, but great hop presence w/ both the citric fruit flavors as well as a great dry backbite. Decent malts tucked in as well, but what surprised me was the higher-than-usual ABV. They really hide it here and it creeps in a little on the end, but I give Kudos. Glad I saw it on bottle or else I'd think this was a session IPA and get a little crushed.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

Many thanks to Gillard for sending me some stuff from this brewery, which I have been looking forward to trying for quite some time. This came in a large swing top bottle. Color is a dark orange, close to copper, with a sizable white head. Hints of pine and grapefruit in the smell; which never become too heavy. Resiny hops that taste like a combination grapefruit and tree sap are balanced out by a larger than expected malt presence. Despite the somewhat high alcohol level, this has been a session beer for me; at least for tonight. Jai Alai is a really respectable IPA from Cigar City. It reminds me somewhat of Victory's HopDevil IPA, which is also a really great, balanced version of the style. I look forward to seeing what else this brewery has under their belt in the future. Cheers

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on tap at Oldsmar Tap House. Pours hazy orange with a nice creamy head, definite carbonation (bordering on more than I would like). Upfront hops, slight citrus and a nice pine scent. Decent hop bite with a good malt backing, very balanced. Drinkability is high. Perfect for a summer afternoon, and I will definitely be on the look out for more of it. Looking forward to an increase in distribution as the popularity of Cigar City increases in the Bay Area.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%

This wonderful brew was consumed at the Lost Kangaroo Pub in Bradenton, Florida.

A- Dark amber, one finger head due to a gentle pour. Excellent lacing with micro bubbles that cascade down the glass. Very appealing.

S- Hops Hops Hops! Grapefruit and other citrus notes.

T- Reminiscent of ruination, slightly more balanced, though. Strong hop presence. Tastes fresh. Good God, Cigar City is busting onto the scene with some exceptional brews!

MF- Relatively creamy. Zingy hops.

D- Phenomenal. I'm unaware of the ABV, but it seems pretty strong for an IPA. Wonderful brew, can't wait for sixers.

Okay, now that i know it's 7.50%, it is right at what i expected. A strong IPA that could have been classified as an Impy IPA. Very Very fresh. The freshest IPA i have ever had. Thank you, Cigar City.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to the waiter at Mr Dunderbak's in Tampa for recommending this wonderful beer. In a pint glass the beer was a slightly hazy cherry amber color. It had a medium-sized white head and some specks of lacing. Very nice floral and citrus aroma. Hops came through well in the taste, mostly grapefruit, but also a bit of pine. Very well-balanced with malt. This is a well-brewed beer. Wish I could get it here in Maine.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

A big thanks goes out to Screach for bringing this gem to the May Austin BA tasting event!

Pours from the mini-growler an attractive, burnt copper-orange body with a well-retained patch of light tan foam. Leaves some splotches of lacing along the inside of the glass. Fantastic aroma on this IPA, with big, fresh notes of pine needle, resin, cotton candy, and toffee malts. Mouth watering profusely...

Great usage of hops, and although that is to be expected for an IPA, the brewers at Cigar City really knew what they were doing with this beer. Lots of piny, leafy, fresh hops in the mix, balanced by a solid backbone of caramel and biscuit. Lingering hoppiness rounds out a medium body with a good carbonation level. Jai Ali drinks nicely, and measures up to many of the other top-notch IPA's out there. Would gladly have again.

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to markwise for the 32oz growler. My first taste from the CCB and I must say I'm hooked! Dark hazy amber pour with a thick off white head and spotty lace. Color is a little too dark for an IPA. Caramel and citrus on the nose. Nice resinous body & great balance. Earthy resinous hops with a twist caramel malts. Long bitter finish.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing