Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Big Sound Scotch Ale | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Spring

Big Sound Scotch Ale is dedicated to our good buddy Gino, the most Punk Rock Bagpiper you will ever meet, and the rest of the men and women of the Tampa Bay Pipes and Drums. Brown in color, Big Sound has huge notes of dark sweet toffee with underlying mild notes of coffee in the aroma. The flavor starts with a slight note of cherry and then opens into a goliath of malt character with notes of dark sweet toffee, coffee and mild notes of toasted bread in the finish. Big Sound Scotch Ale pairs well with Haggis, Highland Games, Huge Heads, Enormous pillows and of course Bagpipe Music.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%

My abject thanks to moose3285 for sending me my first full bottle of Cigar City. After swigging a sample of Capricho Oscuro in Florida in February, the wife & I have been itching to try a full bomber of CC. This is the one!

Pours black with red highlights, if that's possible. Smells of sweet scotch ale, if that's a smell. It's good. My wife has attached the glass to her upper lip for aromatherapy purposes.

And action. Damn. I'm having a hard time using English to describe this, perhaps if I knew French, Latin, or poetry, it would suffice. Dark, scotch-infused malts are dominant, & bring a full, rich feel to the brew, although rich isn't a strong enough word. There's other more subtle notes, but who cares? That top-level of taste is downright fantastic.

I'd say this is a sipper - maybe a fast sipper, since the glass is vanishing rather quickly. No apparent alcohol. Smooth. No temper at all.

Top-notch brew. I was wondering if this brewery could live up to a four-month memory of a couple of mouthfuls of their beer, & it has, easily. Mike, I hope you like Minnesota beer, because you might be getting a lot of it in the future, my friend!

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

Grabbed this on my most recent trip to Tampa at the brewery itself.
Pours a really deep brown color that's almost black. A think white sheen forms and laces rather well, but is never more than about 1/10". A quick glance at this beer would likely make you think it was a stout.
The smell is huge! Sweet and malty, lots of roasty and wood-based flavors. Vanilla, molasses, and berries.
The flavor also carries the same punch. Toffee sweetness with vanilla, molasses, a little cocoa, bourbon (I know there's none in here - but it carries the flavor), and a little bit of tobacco smoke.
It's a sipper, but much in the same way Old Chub is. It has a hint of heat that's really needed to keep you from downing it too quickly.
Our champagne bottle disappeared quickly and I really, really wish I had another one.
This is probably the best scotch ale I've had to date, and while it might not be a classical example of the style guidelines - I love it. It's like an Old Chub, but even better.
I'll probably be trading for more of these...

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Poured a murky dark brown with tan highlights, nice dirty white cap leaving behind tan bubbles and light lacing

S: Smoke, peat, candy, caramel a little booze sting on the nostrils with rich toffee and chocolate

T: Upfront is a rather bold peat backed with caramel apple, light candy, toffee and chcocolate appear almost instantly as well. The finishing taste brings cocoa, toffee and caramel with a light booze sting, sticky and sweet. holy crap this is how I like Wee Heavys!

M: Big body, well carbonated, sweet and sticky, full of flavor and very robust

O: If every Wee Heavy tasted and felt like this I might change my name to Wee-Man

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle shared by starrdogg, next to bourbon and rum barrel big sound. Thanks a lot Matt, very cool lineup.

A: Nice brown color with crimson highlights, it has a decent head with just a ring forming with a tan color.

S: Has a very rich and quite perfect to style scotch ale smell. A light smoked peat aroma yet still kind of sweet in a confectionary way. Super malty and has the toasted malt 'grapenuts' smell.

T: Taste is very rich like a layered cake with espresso and a semi-sweet BBQ smoke notes. Super tasty, some lighter sweet malts too. I'd say that the scotch is more like a highland park sort of honey-peat as opposed to a super smoky islay. Great, really quite tasty.

M: Very nice, smooth and satisfying. Slick over the palate.

Overall this is very nice, and certainly worth a try if you like scotch ale! This and Robert the Bruce would probably be my two examples of the style to present to a new beer enthusiast.

4.46/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. Beer is a gift from MHorridge during my recent trip to Tampa. THANKS!
the beer pours a rich dark mahogany with deep garnet notes and no light passing through the glass. A very minimal beige head foams up and fades to nothing instantaneously after the pour. NO head remains during the sampling. I hit the appearance a bit for the lack of good foam.
The aroma is lots of malt and sweetness with caramel and brown sugar and bits of molasses. No hints of any hop presence and the booze is well hidden too.
First sip reveals a pretty thick body with sticky coating texture and very fine yet tingly carbonation. The beer coats my palate after each sip and maintains the flavor and a bit of roast in my mouth.
Flavor is sweet and malty as expected with lots brow sugar and molasses. I get some rich dark chocolate and dark fruit with fig and raisins. I dont get any hops here, and I also dont get any black peppery booze or heat for that matter.
This is a complex, thick and smooth brew that is very enjoyable and is a bit of a sipper due to the thickness, but not something that burns after each sip. Glad to have got this bottle back with me from Tampa.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5