Warmer Winter Winter Warmer | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Old Ale

A old ale with american hop varietals that has a complex citrus and caramelized toffee aroma and underlying notes of chocolate.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

3.22/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

Found a few bombers of this at Decicco's, so I figured I'd give it a try. This is my first CCB beer as well, out of 750ml bottle.

A- Pours a deep reddish/brown, and is rather murky looking. Has a nice fluffy and light head that faded rather quickly.

S- Sweetish smell of brown sugar/malt/booze. I also catch a wiff of the spice and hops that are present.

T- Definetely tastes of carmel and fig, and finishes with a hoppy bitterness combined with a good balance of brown sugar taste.

M+D- The mouth on this beer is very nice. For 10% it is very palateable, and not too boozy.

While it is a solid beer, it really doesn't match well with my tastebuds. It is a nice complex beer, but the different flavors don't really blend too well together.
I actually drank half of it, and that Vacu-Vin'd the other half so I could taste it again. Tried it again the following night, and felt the same

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

3.3/5  rDev -14.9%

Prologue: I am reviewing the 2011-2012 version of this brew, which claims 11% ABV% as opposed to the 10% listed per Beeradvocate.

A-pours a murky, muddy, brown maple syrup into my Cigar City snifter with an aggressive creamy tan head that quickly rose to a couple inches. The head recedes slowly, leaving a nice sheen of lacing.

S-Super sugary sweet, molasses and fermented dried plum /apricot.

T-A sugar bomb overwhelms pretty much everything else going on here, but aside from this there is a yeasty breadiness, some spice, and the tiniest hint of hops crying out to be noticed

M-Thick, chewy, and sloppy.

O-I wish I had cellared this, because something is just not quite right as I work my way through this bottle. Not horrible by a long shot, but as I finish this thing I feel like I ought to go brush my teeth 3 or 5 times to ensure that I don't wake up tomorrow with a mouth full of cavities. Way too sweet right now. The smell leads one to think this could be brilliant, and I hope this brew will mellow with time.

Salud!

3.32/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pours a dark brown body with garnet highlights, sticky tan head that stays around awhile, and a decent amount of lacing.

S: Nose is very sweet with notes of caramel, malts, candy sugar, dark fruits, & overripe berries.

T: Again, the upfront flavor was very sweet. The taste was of raisins, candy sugar, caramel, hint of molasses, and slight spices. ABV is hidden well, and not noticable hop bitterness.

M: Full body, smooth texture, medium carbonation.

D: Although I liked this beer, it was extremely sweet and hard to finish. I had a 750ml bottle and between my husband and I, we had a difficult time drinking it because of the overly sweetness. I think if we had it with dessert or split it between 4 people it would have been less of a problem.

3.36/5  rDev -13.4%

Thanks to cbutova for sharing this one, this was the most recent vintage and listed as 11%.

Pours a hazy dark red, big ol beige head sticks around quite well and leaves some lacing.

Straight up dark fruits in the scent, big red grape and raisins specifically. Good strength but a little average.

Taste is an improvement, more complexity. Lots of dark fruit, caramel and toffee. Pretty decent hop power; resin, citrus and some grapefruit noticeable, a little heavy-handed with the sweet malts though.

Good mouthfeel, very sweet but 11% is well-hidden, drinks smooth.

Not bad but a little forgettable... sweetness drags it down a bit which I've noticed often with Cigar City.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%

Couldnt taste any hopps. Was hoping for more from their description. But it was strong and had (warming) qualities. Very bready with strong alcohol. No head, wasnt expecting one. If the hopps came through i would be crazy happy.

Warmer Winter Winter Warmer from Cigar City Brewing