1. We need your support. Become a Premium member now for as little as $1.99 a month. And, if you join this month you can help us beta test our new app!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

#73

Ratings: 4,346 |  Reviews: 837
4.79/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Everything great in an imperial stout, deep brown to black, creamy tan foam. And a subtle hint of spices and chili peppers. A great example of how to add a lot of flavor and spice to a beer and not ruin it.

4.29/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Would I buy this again? Yes, but only one bottle cellared at a time. Do t see any reason to cellar for extended period of time or collect for verticle.

4.54/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.45/5  rDev -24.5%

2-1-19: 2017 version from bottle at home. The heat with this one is mild. I can definitely taste the cinnamon. This seems a bit thin. For me the hype doesn't quite match the taste. Maybe I need to try this fresher.

4.27/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I finally got to try this whale after a trade. I thought it was similar to Abraxas. I had a 2017, and may have bunkered it too long with the flavors becoming much more mild than other reviewers indicate.

Honestly, I've had plenty of other better beers within this category that are not on the Top 250 list such as Prison Barrel Aged Wham Whams or some of the Evil Twin or J Wakefield Stouts.

Beer pours black with a caramel color head. Smell of pepper and vanilla, but very subtle. I was expecting a much stronger nose.

Good solid thick mouthfeel similar to chocholate fudge, but no tingling from the peppers. I wanted something stronger and more flavorful.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I finally landed this whale. I have wanted to drink this beer for the last five years. I am looking forward to this review. I popped the top off and a hiss emitted. The beer is 52 degrees and served in a tulip glass. The beer just glugged out of the bottle as I poured it into the glass. This thick beer produced a two finger dark brown head. The retention on the head is phenomenal. The head dissipated slowly and left no lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is SRM 38 nearly black. The beer is opaque.

The initial aroma I got from the beer is dark roasted malts, dark roasted coffee, and dark chocolate. Next, I smell vanilla, molasses, chili, raisins, bready, char, and leather. The beer has this earthy garden aroma that I get on the backend.

Holy Moly! The flavors in the beer are dark chocolate, dark roasted malts, chilis, vanilla, molasses, raisins, anise, char, leather, earthiness, smokiness, char, bready, and a vegetal note.

The mouthfeel of the beer is chewy and dry.

The body of the beer is full, low carbonation, and a full finish.

What an incredible beer. Knowing this beer being is not barreled aged is utterly amazing. The harmony in the beer is like a fine-tuned instrument. Beers like this are why I love Imperial Stouts.

4.49/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Fascinating and very complex beer! The chilis come through, but are not overpowering. This is a sipping beer, and I'm glad I had a small pour at the brewery. Great stuff--I've been to Cigar City a number of times, but this is the first time I've seen Hunahpu's on tap. Hooray!

4.37/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very pretty looking. Pitch brown in all the right ways. Love the little lacing patches that linger after each drink. Lots of cinnamon on the nose to go with dark almost leathery chocolate. Mexican heat heat too - brightens up the same notes from the nose and adds some notes of chiles.

3.58/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.41/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.01/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Did this blindly with Abraxas & Mexican Cake.

This beer is pitch black with no highlights whatsoever. Along with the ring of caramel colored crown attached to the glass, it has islands in the middle. Looks great. 4.75

The smell has peppers, but they are more green pepper like more than anything. Vanilla mixing in there as well. This one is the most underwhelming smell of three. But still prefer it to #2. (Mexican Cake) 3.75

The taste brings a sweetness mixing with a soy like presence. Still more green pepper like to me than spicy peppers. 3.75

The mouthfeel is thick and full bodied. Coats the mouth nicely and fudge like before turning dry quickly. No burn or tingling whatsoever from the peppers, leaving me wanting more of that aspect but still very solid on the other elements. 4

Overall, I like the thick fudge like body this beer brought and how it coats the mouth, but it wasn’t something that blew me out of the water. And when I drink stouts with peppers, I want them to at least provide a tingle, if not a little burn and this one just didn’t bring that. 3.75

Update finishing the bottle. This beer still looks great. Pitch black and forms a pinky width of tight dark mocha colored crown. 4.75

In the taste I’m getting more of a sweetness like vanilla cake batter and brownies with less soy influence. Bumping up to 4.

Gonna bump the mouthfeel up to 4.25. It seems a lot thicker with a clean palate.

Because of these bumps, I’m bumping the overall to 4.

4.56/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing