Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Ratings: 4,141 |  Reviews: 803

I've had this beer multiple times seeing as I live about 15 minutes from Cigar City. Poured into my CC tulip.

A- Black like motor oil. The thickest beer iv'e ever poured.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and hints of vanilla and chili peppers.

T- One word : perfect

M- Like I said before, motor oil.

D- Very drinkable for a stout of such high alcohol percentage. Perfect brew to share with a good friend.

Received today in a trade with mikesgroove. Thanks Mike you are a very generous man!

Poured into my DFH Signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with no light able to penetrate at any point. Thick dark brown one half finger head that recedes to a lacing relatively quickly. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very complex, even when still cold. I smell a lot of bitter chocolate up front followed with a dose of vanilla. Good amount of sweetness from the vanilla. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Taste: Everything comes through here! This is simply amazing. Chocolate and vanilla just punch your tongue. Its amazing how much these flavors come out in this beer! At the end of the sip I taste the little twang from the chili peppers. Cinnamon flavor does not particularaly stand out to me. The beer is not overly sweet but the base seems like a great stout as well.

Mouthfeel: The best part of the beer! So thick and motor oil like. Great heavy body but still some nice carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly!

L: Dark and chocolaty
S: Depends on the year. Each year smells of spices. Some are more subtle
T: Amazing. Coffee, dark chocolate, spice, cinnamon or nutmeg. Slight vanilla depending on the year
F: THICK
O: Had the great fortune to try 2013 - 2016. Loved 13 the best. Each year this beer just developed more and more. If you can trade for it, do it. Won't be disappointed.

Review taken from most recent batch.

2011 batch - 5.0

Thanks to black13 for sharing some of this at a recent tasting. Also thanks to urwithdave and coastiesimon for hooking me up with bottles of this. 750ml bottle split into a pair of Portsmouth snifters and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Black sludge pouring into my glass. After the heavy pour, it's as black as they come with a big light brown (not dark tan) head. Top notch lacing. One of the sexiest looking stouts I've ever seen. 5/5

S: Like sniffing an open bottle of vanilla extract. Banana Cream pie but not in a Belgian yeast sense. A dessert in a glass is what I'm now expecting. 5/5

T: Load's of vanilla, cookie crumbs, and decadent chocolate fudge heavy on the milk fat. It should be noted that I can't discern the chiles at all. A diabetic coma waiting to happen in a death by sweets kind of way. There's a place for that kind of beer, and tonight it's in my glass! 5/5

M: Huge full body that comes off thick and chewy. Despite the massive head, the carbonation is kept to a minimum and this stays smooth and silky. 5/5

O: A beer I will trade for every year. I've never had the barrel aged version of this beer, but I am hard pressed to believe this can get any better. As far as non-barrel aged stouts go, this is as elite as it gets. I've never given a perfect five for a big stout... Until now. The 2010 batch was superb. I don't know how, but this is better. One of those beers that simply doesn't need to be aged. Get it, and drink it, NOW! 5/5

2010 Batch - 4.47

Thanks to Arbitrator for sharing a bottle of this at a tasting the first time I had it. I knew that I absolutely HAD to secure a bottle of my own after sipping on a couple ounces. That way, my wife and I could sit down with a snifter each and truly appreciate this beast. That is exactly what we are doing at the moment!

Viscous motor oil liquid on the pour, this stuff literally "glug-glugs" into our matching pair of Portsmouth snifters. Side note - I need to get my oil changed in my car. Even the head on this is as dark as I've ever seen. My wife referred to the head as "chocolate mousse" in appearance. I wish I could be original and come up with my own descriptor, but that really is a perfect mental image. I do want to comment that there appears to be a touch of red highlights to the head. Black as pitch, thick as used motor oil, and the darkest head I've ever seen spells perfect score on appearance in my book.

Raw cocoa on the nose is accompanied by the vanilla bean. The big coffee that can usually be found on big stouts is missing here. Maybe a little chili is there as well, but that might just be power of suggestion. Also missing is any whiff of alcohol. Try as I may to find the ETOH, I simply can't do it.

Wow! There is a TON going on taste wise. Chocolate doesn't get any more bitter than this. Strong nuances of vanilla, spicy chili pepper, and what seems to be a bit of lactose culture show up in a supporting role. It should be mentioned that the chili isn't tasted as much as its felt. The back of the tongue and soft palate feel the warmth on the finish. Unique and delicious.

Ramnuts hosted the tasting where I tried this the first time. In his own words..."I can feel it coating my tongue!" Well said Frank. I can't say it any better myself.

This is a big beer that needs to be savored. That said, I did not feel as if my 12+ ounce pour was over-bearing or heavy. I possibly could have had another, but the one was enough. A simply fantastic big stout that might just have no equal. It would be an absolute travesty if this never gets brewed again. One can only hope that this will be a regular release. If it is bottled next year let me be the first...ISO: Hunahpus '10.

Fantastic beer that I would love to have again!

A rich and complex Imperial Stout. Just enough heat to make it exciting but it doesn't linger on the palate which allows you to enjoy the nibs, vanilla and cinnamon that follows. Awesome brew! I should move to Tampa.

Chocolate, cinnamon on the nose and taste. Mild chili burn. Layers of flavor that linger long after you are finished. This is how you do a stout!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing