Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 771 | Ratings: 3,997
4.98/5  rDev +10.4%

This was one of the best cinnamon spiced beers I've ever had! The flavors that came from this were perfect. The alcohol heat was well hidden by the chiles in the back. I will definitely be going to Huna day next year!

4.98/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours pitch black, bubbling up a great one finger dark brown head, lingers for a while until it turns to a thick sticky lacing.
Huge cocoa in the smell, lots of cinnamon and vanilla, milky and dark chocolate, fig, raisin, veggie chilli pepper, lower coffee notes, faint wood. The smell is incredible, with just a small hint of booze.
Roasty robust taste, huge with dark chocolate, riddled with dry plums and figs, spicy with a lot of woody cinnamon, rich vanilla, even faint licorice. Mellows down and gets a bit sweeter, with sticky molasses and toffee, only to be balanced perfectly in the end with some roasted coffee, dark malts and faint smoked woodiness. The chillies bring a nice warm prickle in the back of the throat, just enough so you know they're there. Taste really brings up all that's written on the label, amplified, rich and perfectly balanced.
Thick body, very smooth, with a very tiny bit of booze present, nowhere near disturbing. Full complex aftertaste, extra roasty.
A huge imperial stout, unique, worth any effort and future budget-hole to get again.

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

A Huge thanks to DarthKostrizer and his pregnant wife who wanted to save this til after the baby, but I talked her out of it cuz her trademaster husband can get more!!

Thick soy saucy looking. Pitch black. Oily. Very viscous. Brown grease left while swirled. Thick Brown head. Excellent retention and spotty lacing.

Kind of even smells like a mild soy sauce for a second then amazing Bitter chocolate brownies with a hint of earthy pepper. Faint leather and oak. Fantastic big nose.

Wow. Flavor has So much going on. Bitter chocolate brownie, dark earthy green chili. Big changes and variation from beginning to end. Earthy robust coffee along with espresso. Just delicious.

Full bodied velvety smooth, creamy viscous mouthfeel

Overall this is just a phenomenal stout! So big, bold and complex. I really liked Marshal Zhukov and this is even much better. A must find. Share with others!

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

So, for my 100th review I thought I'd review a special beer.

The beer is awesomely black. No head. Mysterious.

In the nose you get chocolate, chili, some cinnamon, and a few other smells I can't identify. The smell adds to the mystery.

Only in your mouth can you truly appreciate the complexity of this beer. The layers of flavor are nothing short of astonishing. So much going on that every sip is a new experience. Wow.

In the mouth it is a smooth, creamy, well-balanced treat. Almost velvety.

This is one of the most drinkable beers I've had, much less one with such a high ABV. I just wish they made this one more often.

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

This is the best Imperial Stout I have tasted I had on tap at the 2011 release and also opened a bottle at the Jackie O's One Funky Afternoon bottle release. The bottle that I had opened was damaged a little in shiping and some air got into the bottle so it tasted a little flat but was still hands down one of my favorite beers. Pour it in a glass and it looks like motor oil with a dark chocolate brown head. You can smell the chocolate and what ever peppers they used in brewing. Chocolate came through strongest in the taste for me along with the peppers, hints of coffee as well. Like I said one of my favorite beers I just wish more would have made it back with me from spring break.

4.96/5  rDev +10%

Bottle received in a trade with jgam115, thanks a bunch man, this was goddamn amazing. Shared with stillmatic2232.

Pours a deep dark opaque black, with a copper orange-ish brown head that looks like straight up cinnamon. Holy crap, coolest looking head ever. Unfortunately, it dissipates in less than a minute, which I could have expected given how big and chock full of crap this one is. Not much lacing.

Smells heavenly. Huge cinnamon aroma, with lots of fudgy chocolate, some vanilla, and a slight pepper aroma.

The taste is even more over the top delicious. Honestly tastes like a cinnamon roll studded with little pieces of pepper and drizzled with copious amounts of chocolate syrup and vanilla frosting. The flavors come together incredibly well, with cinnamon leading the way and dominating the conversation. There's a slight pepper twang at the end of each sip that builds up in the back of your throat, and leaves your lips a little tingly.

Honestly, probably the best mouthfeel on a beer I've ever had. Just the right amount of thickness in the body- viscous and chewy without being overbearing. Low carbonation, insanely creamy. No alcohol burn is present whatsoever.

This is next level. I can't believe a beer like this exists. If you haven't tried this, do everything you can to get your hands on some.

4.96/5  rDev +10%

Just on my way back from the 2013 event and was lucky enough to have this on an unlimited tap. After having the 11 and 12 I knew this was one of my all time favorites. The 2013 did not disappoint. Pours a deep brown/black with a thick brown/red velvet head. Smells of vanilla, marshmallow, cinnamon, chili, chocolate and a little roast. Spices come through first on the taste then mellows into a nice caramel vanilla with a bit of burnt cacao. Fantastic overall and it seems to get better every year.

Thanks CCB for making great beer! See you in 2014.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

the Hunahpu is the best, plain and simple, out of all the big stouts(DL, IST, Darkness, etc), Hunahpu releases a very smooth well rounded chocolatey malty flavor that just puts any other beer to shame,i strongly suggest finding this beer and trying it, my favorite hope its your too

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured this beer into a stemmed tulip glass from a bottle.
Beer is dark brown to black with carbonation the creates tan swirls on the surface of the beer. The beer has strong legs that grab to the side of the glass. The glass had a coating of residue on the sides when finished.
The aroma was amazing for a beer. I also got the olive aroma, but I thought it smelled more like green olives.
The taste was quite interesting. Strong bitter dark chocolate flavor.
Had a smooth finish without lingering bitterness. I got some sweet malt/ coffee flavor that balanced it out. Was not overly sweet like Ive had with other stouts. Very well balanced, made you want more. I liked the the mouthfeel very much. I thought that it could coat the tongue a little more.
This beer was great as small servings with a break in between. I didnt have enough. Possibly the best beer i have had to date. Definitely is my favorite stout.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer was worth waiting in line with 5000 other beer advocates for a few bottles of this Imperial Stout.

A. Dark body with a copper head.

S. There is plethora of smells from chocolate to malts.

T. Starts of with malt and hops and finishes with chocolate coffee taste.

M. Warm and almost overwhelming with all the taste. Surprisingly the 11% alcohol was not noticeable.

O. This is a great complex beer from a great brewery!

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

A - This beer defines black. The head alone is darker than most stouts. Absolutely amazing head retention and lacing. The best appearance I have seen on a stout yet.

S - Chocolate is the first thing that comes out to me, followed up by some dark roasted malts and coffee. Chile, and vanilla are there as well, just not as strong. Maybe even a hint of dark fruits in there as well. Very complex aroma full of a big diversity of smells.

T - Wow. You will never have a beer like this one. As complex as the aroma was, this is more. Balance of flavors completely shifts. Chile and roasted malts, coupled with chocolate and vanilla backing it up. Cinnamon, some more citrus-like fruit as well as the dark fruit (maybe dark cherry).

M - Not as thick as the pour indicates, but man this is still thick. Smooth as silk too. No alcohol noticeable, finish is sweet, slightly drying and leaves you with a sweet chocolate chile taste.

O - This is by far the best beer I have had. I am struggling to find a flaw so that this isn't straight 5's. I can't find much wrong with it. The aroma is deeply complex and perfectly balanced, the taste changes exactly as it needs to so as to keep you interested and stays just as complex and balanced. The mouthfeel is the only thing I can find a flaw in with the thin-ness of the body, but even that is still amazing.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this is a 2011 bottle?

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

I had both the 2014 and 2016 version at Cigar City.

Pours inky black and THICK with a thin tan head.

The smell is incredible - vanilla, cinnamon, bitter chocolate, pepper heat, atop an amazing Imperial Stout base of roasted malts. The 2014 version smelled sweeter, with less pepper and spices, and more of a milk chocolate characteristic.

Taste is unbelievable. The backbone is this great Imperial Stout flavor, but on top is chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mild pepper heat on the back end. Again, the 2014 version was for more mellow on the spices but equally good.

Mouthfeel is thick and oily. The peppers liven it up if you let it linger.

This is my favorite beer to date, BY FAR. I decline to give it a perfect review since I might come across something better someday.

South Sound Tasting Notes

Pours black with brown head, very apropriate for an imperial style. Smell is chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate covered cinnamon. Taste is- you guessed it- chocolate, with cinnamon and dark cherry, some cedar character and some slight barley char. Very well balanced and the depth of the flavors keeps me sipping. Mouthfeel is appropriately thick! THICK IS GOOD FOR RIS (I'm talking to you, you bird-lipped Southampton RIS). Medium carbonation is near perfect for the body to make this truely decadent; as preferred, this RIS coats the mouth in rich flavors (ahem, JKBM, take note). Overall, wow, if I weren't such a homer this would get a perfect 5, but that honor is reserved for my favorite reserve series RIS. I love how the flavors are balanced, yet seemingly take turns coming to the forefront of your palate's attention. A true joy to drink!

9-20-2010
From tasting notes, 750ml bottle. Pours black, black, black with dark tan head; light only shows through the very edges of the glass. Looks like Abyss when poured. Smells like cold coffee and chocolate. Taste is sweet brown sugar with tart grain astringency and chocolate bitterness to balance it out. Cold coffee, malt sugar, restrained hops, and bitter dark chocolate on the mid-back tongue; very slight smoke flavor makes itself known only when you aren't looking for it, kind of tastes like burnt coffee a bit but in a pleasant way. The sweet and sour balancing act is great, there is a lot going on in this beer. I think the sour I'm picking up is the cherry and oak notes that keep playing hid and seek. There is a lot going on here in the taste department, one of the best RIS I've had to date. Extremely well balanced yet still very flavorful, and very drinkable. This is a great desert beer and I wish I could get my hands on a bottle to save for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, something of that nature.

4.94/5  rDev +9.5%

2013 bottle.
Consumed with a dark gumbo.

The nose is chilis and chocolate.
Taste is same but with some great dark cherry flavor creeping in. Well balanced. Dry finish.
Mouthfeel incredibly thick. Wow!

As a St. Louis boy, it pains me to say, but this is better than abraxas, mainly because the cinnamon is overpowering in abraxas imo. Great job, cigar city. Hope to try a ba version someday!

4.94/5  rDev +9.5%

Wow. I'll start it off by saying get your hands on this now.

Most stouts are described as pouring like motor oil, but this thing is legit. It's so thick and creamy with just a touch of carbonation and head lacing. The spices are strong in the smell and leads you to think it'll be a spice bomb with overt sweetness. However, the taste is phenomenal and extremely well balanced. There's cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate, and coffee; none are overpowering. There's just a touch of sweetness balanced by a great bittering finish.

For once, a beer lives up to the hype. I will be getting my hands on as many of these as I can.

As of 1/3/15 -
Had a vertical consisting of '12, '13 and '14 (Batch1.)

All were world class but there was a noticeable fall-off in the cinnamon / chilies as it ages - as expected. Conversely, the mouth feel improved. Cannot wait to try the 2014 Batch 2 and the 2015 offerings.

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

2014 bottle poured into a snifter. After much hype surrounding this beer, I was super excited to try this! It pours jet black and almost looks like motor oil. Very little head when poured into the snifter. The smell is somewhat sweet with aromas of vanilla, cinnamon and chilies. For a flavored stout, you get the sweet taste to start and finishes with cocoa and vanilla flavors, as well as some heat from the chilies. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth. Overall, this is a complex beer but super delicious; one to savor for sure! In my opinion, this one lives up to the hype, cheers!

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

2014 bottle, makeup batch- thick pour, good nose, slight cinnamon and spicyness from the chillis. Still complex delivering layers of flavor with some vanilla and chilli with cinnamon in the background. Almost more drinkable than when fresh. Outstanding a little after a year in the bottle. Tempted to open another.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Just attended the festival this past weekend and it was worth the hype. I had the opportunity to try a 2011 at the event and most everyone I spoke with said that this years batch is just phenomenal. The beer is darker than anything I have ever had before and the subtle notes of chili are apparent along with the dark coffee taste. I am extremely thankful that I brought enough home with me to enjoy one every couple of months.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Growler shared by HOPSHUNTER - thanks!

Pours black with a one-finger dark brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells amazing. Vanilla and smooth chocolate notes meet up with deep and dark malt flavors with just a hint of underlying heat. Tying everything together are hints of cinnamon. What really seals the deal for me in the aroma department is not what is included but in what levels it's included. Everything present plays off of each other perfectly.

Tastes great. Roasted malt flavors and robust dark chocolate kick things off and are joined shortly by mild hints of vanilla. The vanilla serves to sweeten things up a bit until near the end of the sip when an earthy heat that builds on itself enters into things and carries through to a mildly bitter ending. The cinnamon doesn't make nearly as much impact as it does on the nose.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very smooth thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass absurdly quickly and could easily have five more trying to dissect everything going on in this beer.

Overall this is one of the most well done and interesting beers I can remember having. I look forward to trying this again someday and hoping that it's as good as I remember it being. Do yourself a favor and make it a point to try this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

two 3oz pours From 750ml bottle 2014 vintage.
At Zwanze Day 2016, Green Bench Brewery, St Petersburg, Fla. epic bottle share.
Finally got a change to try this. After hours of Cantillon and Saisons my pallet exploded with this. I knew it was one of the best flavored Stouts out there but wow it was even better then i ever imagined. Again probably helped by all the Sours i've been drinking all day. Come on CCB please brew more of this!

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to BastionShaw for this beast of a bottle!

Pours a coffee brown, with the darkest head that anyone in the tasting circle had ever seen. About 1/2 a finger worth of head on my pour. Smell! I wish I could smell this beer forever. Each whiff brings a different smell be it Ovaltine, Blackened peppers, tobacco, dark dark chocolate. The smell alone is phenomenal. Onto the taste, with the first sip you get a burst of deep roasted chocolate and as you let that that linger you get a grilled pepper flavor that dances in your mouth. Every sip is different from the next. The mouthfeel is nice but not in your face. The chilies play a good role in letting the tingling sensation coat your mouth without burning your tongue. Also this beer leaves your mouth feeling dry like a tannic wine, but it works! Overall I am ecstatic I got to try this beer and would love to snag another bottle!

Stuff is fucking magic
Pours like motor oil from a 750 ml bottle. Thick viscous and syrup scent of fudge brownies and cinnamon wafts from the snifter could this actually be above the hype...
Taste is decadent brownies with cinnamon and spice just the right amount on everything and mixed together the way you wish you had a Mexican grandma to make brownies for you
Feel is nice and mouth covering don't want to stop drinking this
Overall near perfect stout and the spice just makes everything so sinfully delicious and decadent. Like I just had my way with a brownie that fell into a can of Mexican spiced chocolates.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Jet black with a dark dark tan head. Head recedes slowly but surely into a ring. Practically stains the glass.

S- Oh wow! Smells incredible! You can smell everything in its place, the chiles, the coco, the vanilla, and of course the cinnamon gives a great complexity.

T- This beer is awesome! So much complexity, but everything is very balanced. You get everything and it all has its place and none of it is overbaring at all. Truly awesome flavor.

M- For something so big and bold it goes down so easy its scary.

O- Easily one of my all time favorites, blew me away.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Enjoyed in a snifter at CCB taproom.

A: Pours motor oil black with a nice tan head. Good retention.

S: Slightly sweet and lots of chocolate. The cinnamon, vanilla and chiles are subtle but you can pick them up. Wonderful.

T: Serious chocolate up front followed by the cinnamon and vanilla. I realized that the warmth I was getting was from the chiles and not necessarily the alcohol. Wow, I'm not sure if I have experienced so much going on in a beer. Given all the flavors in this beer it is extremely well balanced. One of the better i've had for this style.

M: Thick, very smooth and chewy. Low carbonation.

D: Very drinkable given the ABV. Could have a couple but i'm sure it sneaks up on you. Glad I picked up a few 750's to age and enjoy later.

Thanks CCB for another fine beer!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing