Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Ratings: 4,142 |  Reviews: 803
3.35/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Ah, Hunaphu's. After hating the MZ I got, I was dreading this, but I can say easily that this one is much better.

A- Motor oil black and a thin but heavy brownie-batter head. Sticks to the side of the glass. This stuff is thick.

S- Deep, impenatrable darkness. Intense dark roast coffee and bitter chocolate. A very nice nose.

T- Very sweet- reminds me a little of Dark Lord and of course of MZ. However, the chili spice comes out on the finish and does a pretty good job cutting through the stout. I like it. A little goes a long way, but I like the mild heat that builds. The cinnamon is nice on the tongue, makes it taste a bit like graham crackers.

M- Thick, syrupy, and too sweet. The chile is delightful though and brings this one along, saving it from being too much. Carbonation is too low for my tastes.

O- 2oz is all you need. Chile is nice- saves the beer from being the trainwreck that MZ is. I'd have this one again. Not worth trading an arm and a leg for, but the uniqueness makes this worth seeking out. YMMV.

3.36/5  rDev -25.5%

I'm sad because I had wanted to try this for some time, but it was nasty. Best way I heard it described was that it tastes like molé and smoky, I will vouch for its uniqueness. It had a smokiness to it as well that I have yet to taste in any other beer, but it just didn't taste good to me. My favorite stouts are founders breakfast and evils biscotti Imperial stout in case that gives you a frame of reference. Still, I was grateful to get to finally try it.

3.38/5  rDev -25.1%

2013 release, served in snifter

A - Black, creamy dark brown head, finger length... not much lacing

S - Milk chocolate

T - tastes like an imperial milk stout

M - Rich and creamy

O - Very disappointed, I would have much preferred the 4 KBS I traded for this... the beer is very one dimensional to me. I served the beer at 55 degrees and over an hour drank this beer and let it warm to room temp. It smells like carbonation was rushed if that makes sense to home brewers. I did not get any of the spice or vanilla... it just tastes like a creamy chocolate milk stout... not that that is bad, I just expected a lot more from this... I think this is the first beer where I gave the highest rating due to the appearance... due to it's price/rarity and what it is trading for I would give the beer a 2 out of 5.

3.4/5  rDev -24.6%

Not worth the hype in my opinion. This has to be one of the roughest imperial stouts I have ever drank, and it's only 11%. While I admit that it has some bold flavors, it was not pleasant or drinkable by the likes of my palate.

3.42/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Wow, what a lack of carbonation in this black and brown beer. Aroma didn't give much in the chili department, it had lots of roast though.

Taste gave some chili flavors, very minimal though. Mild Mexican chocolate. Cinnamon is there. Very thick viscosity. I gotta say, most of this series of beer I've had has been pretty underwhelming given its reputation.

3.45/5  rDev -23.5%

This is a review of the one released December 2011. My sister and brother-in-law brought it with them from Tampa.

Appearance: black and syrupy, low head formation, but dark tan/brown foam (never seen head this dark!)

Aroma: big notes of molasses, dark chocolate, soy sauce, rum, vanilla, and pipe tobacco

Flavor: full malty sweetness (almost cloying), but the burnt sugar, coffee, smokiness, rich roast, and cocoa notes do balance it out a little bit; laced with vanilla, tobacco, and cinnamon (in the background); finishes sweet with long-lingering caramel, roast, and molasses

Mouthfeel: full (almost syrupy) body, mild carbonation, some alcohol warmth, but most of the warming comes from the chili spice that slowly builds

Other comments: Woah. It is almost shocking how dark and thick this beer is when it emerges from the mouth of the bottle. I actually did a double-take. I have never seen a beer this dark. Drinks like a meal. I'm glad I tried it, but I probably wouldn't buy it again.

3.47/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a flat looking crude black and brown, almost no head on it, nothing to provide lace or retention. Aroma, didn't pull any chile or cinnamon out of this one, just smelled like a lot of two row and roasting, which is fine.

Taste, muted chile flavors, nowhere near what a good chili beer should have. Solid roast flavor, chocolate was mild. Thickness of the beer was substantial, but for all the discussion about how complex this beer is, I found it to be extremely run of the mill and straightforward. Some chocolate malt, some minor bland chili additions, I don't know where the notion of cinnamon comes, maybe you just have to drink these uber fresh. Unfortunately, I didn't pull any of those flavors out of the fresh rum barrel one either. Didn't really see what the big difference between this and Marshall Zhukov was, other than that one is even more sludge like.

Just flat out, one of the more disappointing top 100 beers I've ever come across. Not a bad beer, but really not a great one either. Take a standard giant stout, make it limited, blam.

No wonder so many of these are on ebay vs. drinking them yourself.

3.47/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.49/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

2016 bottle poured black during a spiced stout share. The nose was mainly chocolate with some faint sweet vanilla. The body was very thing and felt like flat cola. Some cocoa, a little bit of sweetness and hardly any heat. Maybe we had a bad bottle but that was not a very good beer.

3.5/5  rDev -22.4%

This tastes like charcoal. High quality charcoal, but still charcoal.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing