Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 771 | Ratings: 3,994
4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Stone RIS snifter.

A: pours a thick dark black, with a 2 finger mocha foam that stays for awhile. very carbonated.

S: chocolate and coffee hit the nose right away, a little bit of vanilla and a little of the chilies are noticeable.

T: smooth and delicious, semi-sweet chocolates, hints of hotness from the chillies smoothed out by the vanilla.

M/D: Exceptionally tasty, the carbonation is just right, it works well with this beer. a spicy and sweet beer. delicious.

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to steppnrazr and cyrusthepup for hooking me up with a couple bottles of this. Two exceptional BAs.

2011 Edition 750mL bottle poured into Cigar City snifter on April 14, 2011.

A- Poured vigorously into the bottom of the snifter. Thick and oily, like draining the oil in your car. Absolutely no head, no matter how hard I tried. Acceptable lacing, given the ABV.

S- Immediate chocolate presence, followed by a nice vanilla and and coffee smell. Let it warm up significantly, the cinnamon and chile pulls through at the end. Impressed.

T- Sweet vanilla chocolate up front, followed almost immediately by a nice cinnamon and spice from the chiles. The chiles mask the alcohol beautifully, and create a heat I wish more stouts had.

M- Thick and creamy, with medium-low carbonation. Coats the mouth and throat without overwhelming, leaving a nice lingering flavor.

O- Considering this beer's exceptional status going in, I was more that pleasantly surprised that all the ingredients in the bottle are displayed in both taste and smell. I didn't think I would love the chiles, but I was proven wrong. Give this beer time to warm to a little below room temperature, and it becomes a frontrunner for my favorite non-bal stout. A very well balanced beer that is worth seeking out.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours black as night with a dark brown head. The head goes away almost immediately and leaves some lacing. The beer is super viscous and clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Initially I smell very sweet roast with hints of dark chocolate and dark fruit. After that I pick up the peppers as well as some alcohol.

Taste: Very sweet roast hits the tongue first. This is followed by dark chocolate, some chili pepper spice, cinnamon, and some dark fruit notes. The finish is roasty and sweet, the flavors blend together well.

Mouthfeel: This one just coats your mouth. Very thick and viscous with just the right amount of carbonation (mild). The finish is mildly dry.

Drinkability: I would have this one again and again. I'm super excited that I got to try this! I thought it was very well balanced. Great Beer Gland I got to try this one!

4.98/5  rDev +10.4%

2011 bottle, opened in 2011.

A – Black body with the one of the darkest heads I’ve ever seen. The head has super-fine bubbles and holds up well with nice retention and lace. The beer is incredibly viscous with better legs than most red wines.

S – Dark brown sugar, cinnamon, espresso, ancho chilies, light booze.

T – This beer is what a billionaire's milk chocolate should taste like. Chocolate covered espresso beans, delicious raisiny ancho chilies, cinnamon, soft pepper heat, toffee, and vanilla. The flavors are soft, complex, well balanced and prominent. An absolutely beautiful flavor profile.

M – Stunningly smooth, medium/full body. Great sweet vanilla / spicy chili / bitter cocoa finish with a touch of warm booze.

O – Fantastic balance and flavor. It’s rare that a brewer posts an ingredient bill as complex as this on the bottle and everything comes through. It's even rarer that those flavors come through so clean and incredibly well integrated. Tip of the hat to CCB, job well done.

4.36/5  rDev -3.3%

2011 batch 750mL capped bottle with a pretty cool label poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/10/11

A: Pours a motor oil thick jet black with very dark brown voluminous head that reaches upward to fill the glass. One of the darkest heads that I have ever seen. Next to no light gets through this when held up to the light. This looks absolutely amazing, head hangs around for a while and leaves plenty of dark lacing around the glass.

S: Doesn't smell incredibly strong at first. Sweet with lots of dark malt and roasted barley, a touch of cinnamon and alcohol. Bourbony vanilla and lots more cinnamon come out as it warms up.

T: Very unique stout, roasted barley with lots of thick chocolate coats my tongue as the chilies make my mouth tingle. The cinnamon and vanilla are in there as well, just not as powerful as the flavor from the chocolate and chilies. The additions of the cacao nibs, chilies, vanilla, and cinnamon combine incredibly well with each other to create a truly unique and delicious taste.

M: Extremely full bodied, very thick and smooth like a true RIS should be. Some carbonation is able to penetrate through the thickness and create a slight tingle on my tongue. The chilies add a pleasantly mild, lingering sting on my lips as the alcohol warms my gut.

O: Overall, this is a great RIS. Delicious, smooth and packed with diverse flavors. You can really taste and smell all the additions of cacao nibs, chilies, vanilla and cinnamon. I will be seeking more bottles of this when it comes out again next year.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

750ml bottle into tulip snifter.
2010 vintage.

Pours black with a beautiful, thick and frothy dark brown head.

The aroma is quite complex, but rich cocoa, chocolate and vanilla stand out the most. I'm picking up only hints of the chili and cinnamon, though I probably wouldn't be able to identify it is such had I not known what it was. There are also some faint dark fruit notes.

The taste is of chocolate and light vanilla, followed up by some cinnamon heat and faint, almost smoky, chili notes. Very enjoyable. I really enjoy the chili and cinnamon notes, as it adds enough burn to let you know it's there, but doesn't become over-whelming.

The mouthfeel is just wonderful. An incredibly thick body, with just enough carb to keep it from becoming too heavy.

I really enjoyed this stout very much and I definitely now understand the love for it, though I probably won't actively seek any more of it.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%

I got this in a trade from kmurray8621. Thanks for the trade and the opportunity to try this beer! I've been saving it for a special occasion and decided to crack it for National Beer Day.

750ml bottle poured into the Chimay signature chalice I had on hand.

Look: black body with a dark red, very thin head that ends up being a few bubbles hugging the sides of the glass after a short while. The head color is very interesting. Its kind of a cinnamon colored and is something I haven't seen before. There's no lacing except for brief spots clinging to the side for dear life. Very nice looking Imperial stout.

Smell: roasted malt, chocolate, and vanilla stand out with some tobacco and hints of chilies once it reaches room temperature.

Taste: alcohol soaked dark fruit, some chocolate from the cacao nibs blended well with the vanilla, roasted and chocolate malt, a bit of smokiness, and a bit of spice from the chilies. The spiciness is luckily fairly subdued, since I don't do heat very well. The cinnamon I am really struggling to find and really can't. Perhaps the age has taken that out?

Feel: full bodied, which is apparent even when I begin the pour. The alcohol is apparent but not overwhelming. It is sweet without being cloying, thankfully. There's no heat from the chilies.

Drinkability: certainly a sipper, since this full flavored beer is clearly meant to be savored.

Overall: I really enjoyed this one. While some of the ingredients don't seem to mesh well in theory, in practice they are all quite nicely and really present something new and unique for the style. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and will seek it out again and am going to be looking for General Zhukov in the future, too! Well done, Cigar City! Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Sampled initially at Tryst in Delray Beach, also have a few bottles that will be sampled in the future

From Notes:

A: Absolutely amazing pour. Ominous pitch black oil, huge deep brown head (almost purple), retention is surprisingly good given the ABV

S: Complex to say the least. Chocolate, fudge, vanilla, coffee, lactose, cinnamon, and dark fruit to name the main notes. Overall sweet smelling, but definitely has lots of depth

T: As I suspected, a sweet beer, and alcohol is pretty well hidden. Vanilla, fudge, chocolate, coffee, and cinnamon come the the front. I never really picked up on the peppers, but then again, there is so much going on.

MF/O: Thick and oily feel to it. Smooth and creamy despite the moderate carbonation.

Overall, a stout that should be grouped in with the best, but I never really got that "wow" factor that I was expecting. I still prefer the Abyss and KBS over Hunahpu's, but let's see what some cellaring does to this

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%

750mL bottle from this year's release. The beer and the Cigar City snifter it was poured in are both courtesy of Whartonallboy. This one was allowed to warm from the fridge for about half an hour before being opened.

Hunahpu's pours the typical solid stout black, with at most a finger and a half of *dark* caramel foam topping it. Retention is decent, but lacing is barely there. The nose is a bit muted, but what is there is intoxicating. Rich chocolate is the centerpiece, and it's buoyed by notes of cinnamon and peppery spice. The aroma may have been a bit dull, but that wasn't the case once the beer hit my lips. What would have been a deep dark chocolate base is brought much closer to milk chocolate from the sweetness from the vanilla beans. Cinnamon acts as the transition to a spicy, almost smoky finish from the chiles. Everything is in perfect proportion as well, with the chocolaty notes forming the basis of the flavor profile, and then filtering down to cinnamon and then chiles. The body is perfectly rich and creamy, but the carbonation isn't quite up to the task of cutting through all that. Hunahpu's isn't quite elite in every facet, but it brings it where it counts (the flavor). I'll be doing my best to acquire some more in the future.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been a while since I have reviewed anything, crazy week. Big thanks to my cousin for getting this to me from Tampa.

A- Pitch black motor oil falls into a pint glass. A massive dark mocha head forms and retains very well. Looking damn good so far. Huge coat of dark lace.

S- Huge roast malt and milk chocolate off the top. A nice vanilla presence as well. Good caramel malt presence making me think it will be sweet.

T- Massively filled with cocoa and chocolate notes on top of the sweet roast malt caramel Zhukov's I remember. The vanilla helps round this out. A tiny bit of chili and spice as well, cinnamon is pretty much minimal to me. Fairly smoky from the chili peppers?

MF- Pretty thick body with low end carbonation. Oily feel overall coating the tongue. Somewhat spicy.

DB- I like this beer overall, I think the blend of ingredients worked out well. Tastes like dessert. I am glad I split the bottle but this one drinks very well considering what it is.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a thick black as midnight color with a small chocolate brown head. This sucker has got some weight to it.

The vanilla bean aroma stands out and along with the cacao nibs, it brings a tootsie roll scent. There is some zesty-ness from the spices but nothing very strong. A very rich dessert aroma.

The taste is of a roasted malt base with some strong ground coffee notes. This is followed by caramel, cacao, and the vanilla. There is a lemony acid twang to keep the sweet in balance. Very light spice from the chiles, they seem to add a different layer of sweetness and a slight metallic note. I don't pick up much from the cinnamon but that might get blended in with the chile spice. A lot going on.

The feel is very thick with soft carbonation that give the beer a silky feel. Very sweet to start but finishes with a roasty bitterness. Quite sticky on the finish. There is some burn from the chiles, perhaps the alcohol as well.

A very tasty beer with lots of complex flavors. Its a big beer and better enjoyed in smaller samples. Great dessert beer.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 2011 bottle thanks to BA muskabeatz.

A: Pours a dark, black, motor oil color that we've all seen so many times before. Where this beer really stands out to me is its head, this thing foamed up to maybe an inch and a half of, way over what I've come to expect from the latest and greatest big Russian Imperial, a bit too much for my preference. The head was so creamy it seemed to keep swirl lines.

S: Here's a sticking point with me, my drinking buddies described the aroma as "subtle", which to me says that it's not very strong. Initially I just barely smelled a sort of biscuity scent with a hint of pepper, but as it warmed it I caught much more sweet chocolate and vanilla. The way this aroma changes makes me wish I could give it two ratings, initially, I found it lacking, but as it warmed it came around.

T: This thing is marvelous! The very first thing I taste is chocolate, but just like packages from good traders, it's laden with extras! Just like that special release you get as an extra, this beer comes with a little peppery spiciness tinged with real cinnamon. Somehow all of these flavors work well together, AND THEN finishes out with a bit of sweet vanilla. Alcohol is present, but not overpowering.

M: So creamy! Thick and evenly carbonated, somehow this stout still feels almost like it's been whipped. Really a unique mouthfeel experience.

O: This is a good one, lives up the hype in my opinion, the peppery spiciness and cinnamon make this beer one-of-a-kind. Seek this one out if at all possible!

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

This one has some hype to live up to.

Pours dead black with the most amazing cocoa head ever.

Smell is a bit off-putting. Nothing inviting here, bitter, dark hops and/or cacao.

Taste is COMPLEX. Getting cacao beans, and a healthy cinnamon burn which is amazing. Coffee roast coming through as well. Not getting a ton of vanilla. Did I mention Cinnamon and chile burn?

Wow, this is a wonderful taste. I love cinnamon and chocolate combined and this is the best of all worlds - Cinnamon, chocolate and BEER! But it works. This reminds me of the descriptions of ancient Aztec hot chocolate drinks back when the cacao bean wasn't the invention of Milton Hershey.

Not much else to say. Not going to be a favorite if you don't like new things. :) I love this - though I can't see drinking it all night.

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

2011 vintage thanks to jefe73, thanks Jeff!
poured into a cigar city snifter.

a- looks amazing! a lot darker than I expected, pours like used motor oil (yes you hear this all the time but it seriously pours pitch-black!). pour stirs up a beautiful half inch dark brown head. doesn't last very and disappears into small bubbles hugging the edges of the glass

s- put my nose in the glass and took a big whiff... barely anything... put my nose really close to the goods and still get very little aroma.
dissapointed I begin to drink.
fast forward to half way thru the glass and bam I get hit with a wall of aromas! every glass afterward; amazing. this guy is very picky with the tempature, a bit too cold and it's hidden away, but once it's warm enough it's outstanding. upfront is the chocolate and vanilla with some roasted malts and coffee. in the back the peppers and cinnamon appear nicely

t- like the nose my first sip was... ok. very familiar to zuhkov with some added spices in the back. this is it? it's good but not amazing. maybe tastebuds are out tonight?
nope they are workin just fine, as it warmed in my hand it suddenly exploded with flavor! awesome chocolate and vanilla up front with some cinnamon, the pepper spices kick in half way thru to the finish. wow these peppers work well too and they start prickling on your tongue as it rolls around. it's very unique to this beer and they pull it off.

m- cigar city has the mouthfeel down on their beers and this is no different. great mouthfeel from the start, think and chewy the entire time.

o- this expirience is defintly memorable. this one requires to be a tad warmer than most so keep that in mind when you decided to crack it open. maybe due to the peppers and cinnamon, but when it's there, it's fricken there, and than dammit you don't have enough to squench this new found taste.

I had high expectations for this guy, I've had a lot of cigar city and they have always exceeded my expectations. this one really let me down at first, and than turned me around and kicked me off my chair. trade for it and try it fresh, keep in mind to let this guy warm up a bit longer than your typical imperial stouts and be prepared for a very unique and memorable experience.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle into a snifter. Thanks to Alieniloquium for the trade!

Hunahpu's pours with a pithy blackness that only the darkest midnights are known to provide. Edgar Allen Poe stuff, here. One of the most attractive billows of foam builds with each swirl of the glass--creamy and thick, brick red in color. The aroma wafts intricate notes of cinnamon, sweet dark chocolate, vanilla beans, and roasted Earth. Perhaps unfairly so, the smell is weaker in comparison to the flavor of Hunahpu's (and other upper echelon Imperial Stouts), but still quite good.

And speaking of flavor, sweet Mother-of-God this stuff is good! Absolutely bursting at the seams with rich chocolate, molasses, and vanilla sweetness up front, and the cinnamon and chili peppers take over mid-palate to dry out the finish with an earthy, organic gingerbread note that draws me in sip after glorious sip. Mouthfeel is rich and velvety with a picture perfect carbonation level. Honestly, this beer has little room for improvement. I had my doubts about Cigar City after being let down by a few of their more hyped offerings, but 2011 Hunahpu's is the real deal. A "must-try" in every sense of the word.

4.04/5  rDev -10.4%

Brought a 2010 bottle of this to a tasting a little while back. Received from a generous trader. Served in a Cigar City snifter as it would be crazy to drink this out of any other vessel.

Pours as dark as any bowel movement after a heavy day of drinking Pepto-Bismol, but with a lot better head retention. Cigar City has a way of crafter thick stouts that look great.

Smell is of chocolate and perhaps the faintest hint of vanilla, but the chili peppers are dominating and really detracting from the aroma. Taste is similar but slightly better. The peppers are not to my liking, but to each their own. Mouthfeel is thick with smooth and creamy carbonation.

This is a nice beer, but I'd take Marshal Zhukov over this any day, but I am glad that I got the chance to try it.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle poured into my new Cigar City snifter. Big thanks to Cheesemoose for both. 2011 vintage.

Appearance: Marshall Zhukov and its variations have to be some of the deepest, pitch black beers I've seen. Count Hunahpu's among that group for sure. Completely pitch black in color with a one finger dark brown head and average retention.

Aroma: Fudge, smokey ancho chiles, espresso, and some herbal/leathery notes really stand out. A lot going on here. The chiles are definitely more noticable than I expected and contribute, not only a little heat, but a nice smokey char flavor. I do get a little caramel and vanilla in the background as well but its not as prominent as the other notes.

Taste: The dark chocolate and cacao nib notes are far more prominent here than in the aroma. The vanilla provides a nice backing and really smooths out the bitterness with some sweet notes. The leather and herbal flavors really make their way toward the palate after the initial chocolate burst. They provide a much more rustic feel to what might seem like a chocolte bomb at first. Definitely some espresso and char in the finish with a touch of heat at the end to bring it all together. The chiles are not as big as the aroma, but they work well with to give a touch of heat and a good deal of smoke.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy. No carbonation problems here.

Overall, a well done and unique stout. At times the chocolate can be a bit much, but the rest id incredibly well balanced and interesting. If I had to pick a flaw it would be drinkability. Was a struggle to finish the last couple ounces in my glass. Definitely worth a try.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Received in a BIF and opened for a AZ BA tasting. 2010 vintage.

Pours super dark (basically black) with a chocolate colored head. Nice lacing and coating left behind in the glass. Looks thick.

Smelled of dark fruit, chocolate, vanilla, coffee and a hint of chili. Intriguing.

This was a very unique tasting stout. Chocolate and roasted coffee are clearly present, but the additional ingredients really make this shine. Nice cinnamon and vanilla taste with a bite of chili heat in the finish.

Thick, full bodied stout that thoroughly coats the mouth. Nice amount of carbonation.

Really enjoyed getting to try this beer, but was glad to have friends to share it with. Definitely couldn't have put this down alone due to how full and intense it is.

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Bottle Pour. This beer is dark as can be. Oily, thick and resinous. Hunahpu is so thick it leaves my glass looking like a resin covered bong. The nose on this beer is as complex as the palate. Chocolate, char, vanilla, earthy peppers and alcohol hit the nose full force. The palate of this beer is immensely layered. I first get dark bitter chocolate that is quickly sweetened by the vanilla treatment and chocolatey malt character. Following that comes earthy smokey peppers that compliment the deep roastiness of the malts with slight heat to kick. The heavy viscosity and moussey carbonation combine for a luxurious and velvety mouthfeel. I enjoy my beer with food, hunahpu will make good company with spicy, savory and rich ethnic dishes.

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

opened at a tasting by ejyoung.

A: pours out a thick, opaque black with a brown head. the head looks very creamy.

S: smells of dark chocolate, roasted malt, burnt sugar, dark fruits. I get a little chili in the nose with hints of vanilla.

T: lost of dark chocolate and roasted malt. burnt sugar and some coffee, with a little chili and vanilla. a good balance of chili in this beer. not overwhelming.

M: thick and creamy.

D: this is a very drinkable beer.

Had this at at Hunahpu day 2011.

A: Black! Similar the other Zhukov's. Small, dark brown head, that fades rather quickly.

S: Notes of alcohol, with some coffee and chocolate. Wow was the first impression!

T: You get hit with the roasted malt, coffee and a hint of chocolate. Finishes with a hint of vanilla and a slight heat from the pepper.

M: Thick, heavy body. Good carbonation.

Overall impression: Had this along with the 4 Roses and Brandy aged Zhurkov at Hunahpu Day. This is definitely a great imperial stout.

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%

8oz pour from tap at Cigar City, yesterday at Hunahpu release.

Velvety, viscous, dark brown-black liquid, with what appears to be a nicely baked brownie on top, as the thickly carbonated head crowns this brew.

The aroma is full of fudgy chocolate from freshly mixed chocolate batter, nicely balanced vanilla and coffee, and strong esters and alcohol at the nose which come out as the glass is emptied. There is a faint pepper presence that becomes more pronounced after first taste.

To start, let me explain that this was my first taste of Hunahpu, and my anticipation was all over the place. Ratings high, hype even higher. And while I enjoy stouts, my preference lies more with DIPAs.
The hype was right on. This complex brew did not disappoint.
Smooth, bitterness, like semi-sweet chocolate, but balanced by the vanilla and the nicely placed peppers. Full, thick, body, pleasant tingling that starts on the tip of the tongue, begins to remind me of some lingering, resinous hops, then when the tingling spreads to the lips I remember the chiles.

Great Imperial Stout. Complex, tasty, great use of the chiles; can sip this all day--alcohol well hidden.
This is the elixir to get me through the rest of the winter.

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

Self-pour, on draft at 2011 Florida Brewers Ball.

Pours thinner than you expect. This was my first time experiencing the beer.

Look - Red/Brown/Red-Copper - Most unique looking beer I've experienced in a long time.

Aroma - Chocolate/Cinnamon/Slight Pepper

Taste - Caramel, Toffee, Coffee, Milk Chocolate, Malt.

Thin front, Heavy mouth. After a few minutes, residual heat and spice from the peppers.

Overall: I understand the hype. This beer makes Southern Tier's Choklat and Creme Brulee seem like amateur brews. Probably couldn't drink more than 6oz in a session, though it is delicious.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%

2010 bottle

A: Deep, dark black in color. Fully opaque. Forms a nice finger or so of very dark brown head that has some decent retention, but leaves no lacing.

S: The wonderful aroma of sweet dark roasted malts and the complex raisiny spiciness that comes from the dried peppers.

T: An interesting and complex blend of flavors. Dark malts with a light sweetness in the background. Flavors of ancho pepper, cocoa, and raisin. Coffee to a less extent. There is a very faint heat from the peppers that reminds me of a Mexican hot chocolate.

M: Heavy with a lower carbonation level leaves this one feeling smooth and pleasantly viscous in the mouth.

D: A very complex sipper of an Imperial stout. Took this to a tasting and only had a glass of it for myself, but that was more than enough.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Split with R Moe Nay to commemorate the engagement party.

2010 vintage

A - Black body with a bit of tan head.

S - Chili really comes through. Some vanilla.

T- Chili is very strong, coffee, pepper, vanilla, malt. A lot going on here. Very bold and flavorful. Not the best tasting stout in my opinion but great for what it is.

M - Very smooth with a nice finish. Chilis are a little much but that is knit picking.

D - Not quite as drinkable as the BC coffee but very well down and goes down easy.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing