Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 782 | Ratings: 4,064
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

750 ml brown bottle. 2011 Edition. This beer pours a super thick bad @ss used motor oil black. The ever expanding head is tan in color but is also black. I don't know if I've ever seen a head this dark in color. The aroma has some dark fruits, nice spice coming out , vanilla, and spicy pepper. It also has a big bready quality.

The taste at first is like a chocolate milkshake. A lot of roasted flavors coming in with some spice and spicy flavors. All its parts seem to work together perfectly while not being over the top. The palate is rich and creamy.

I still can't believe how much this tastes like a chocolate milkshake. It really reminds me of the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3 and if anyone has tried that then you'll now what I'm talking about. A huge world class Imperial Stout.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Many thanks to alleykatking for sharing some of the 2011 version. Thanks again for this treat.

A- Pours a motor oil black with the scantiest deep mocha brown head. Wisps of the head remained for a minute or two. No lacing on the glass as to be expected.

S- It was like waking up and having some flavored coffee. Even before I brought it to my nose, whiffs of chocolate and hazelnut came through. The primary smell however was the coffee.

T- Follows up on the nose quite well. Powerful coffee at the end with hints of sweet chocolate at the beginning. The coffee has some vanilla and cinnamon/hazelnut characters that are more minimal than the coffee and chocolate.

M- Thick viscous body with good carbonation. There was some slight burn at the back end. It wasn't an alcohol burn because the alcohol wasn't noticeable.

O- An extremely tasty brew that I would gladly seek out again. I am glad I had a smaller pour (5oz) because it was so rich that I would have had a hard time finishing much more. Very tasty and well worth the hype. Possibly my favorite RIS.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Vintage 2010
Poured from a 750ml bottle into my lost abbey stemware glass.

A - This pours out about as thick and black as I've ever seen. A thick 2 plus finger dark mocha head forms and slowly settles into a
layer of mocha foam and lots of lacing.

S - This smells interesting, a subtle smokiness, cocoa, vanilla, roasted malts, and spicy chiles. Smells of a stout.

T - Taste is similar to the nose. Starts with a bit a sweet chocolaty goodness, into a bitter roasted malt/coffee backed by some vanilla and cinnamon notes, and finishes with a touch of spicy chiles.

M - This feels medium bodied but really creamy and smooth, slightly hot from the chiles. Carbonation is perfect which compliments the beer nicely.

D - A sipper for sure. This is a heavy stout with many different layers.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Review #4

Received this bottle from Chairmissing and I can't thank him enough!

A: The darkest, thickest beer I've seen to date. Decent carbonation.

S: Coffee, chocolate and vanilla.

T: Let me start by saying I came into this beer very skeptical. I never believe the hype behind beers but this left me speechless. I let the bottle sit for about 20 minutes after taking out of the fridge, poured into a snifter. The first taste was strong chocolate and alcohol with a interesting aftertaste. As it warmed the cinnamon and chili became quite apparent. The strong chocolate hits first then some malt and to finish it off the chili hits the back of the tongue simply amzing and this is now the most complex beer I've ever had.

O: Can't describe how much I love this beer. There is no way I will miss the release next year. I wouldn't trade away the cellar to try it but if you have a friend near the brewery or someone offering you a bottle for a decent trade definitely do it.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Pours jet black with a thick viscous brown head that lingers throughout the glass. One of the most beautiful things i have ever seen come out of a bottle

S: Strong notes of chocolate, with some heat and smokiness from the chilli's. Stronger hints of cinnamon emerge as the beer warms.

T: Upfront has strong hints of roast malt and chocolate. A strong warming sensation is felt from the chilli's. Finishes with notes of vanilla and dark fruit.

M: Thick and smooth. Leaves a burn on the your tongue and lips from the heat in the chilli's.

O: A very interesting interpretation of the style. All the ingredients use mesh well together creating a new surprise, with each sip bring something new to the table. Well done!

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Tried a 2011 bottle on May 15 with two of my friends on our "Epic Beer Tasting Day". The line-up consisted of 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, , 2011 Hanahpu, 2011 KBS, 2010 Abyss.

Appearance - This badboy looks jet black and like everyone said pours like used motor oil with a small dark chocolate head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - The smell of coffee almost feels as if it soccer kicks you in the face with subtle hints of dark chocolate and vanilla bean. I did not smell any traces of any kind of chili peppers though.

Taste - Starts with smooth dark chocolate and coffee taste, followed by a hint of the vanilla beans. Again no trace of any chili peppers.

Mouthfeel - It was very nice and smooth. A very thick stout with little carbonation.

Overall - I enjoyed this and can't wait for my next adventure with it. I can't get this beer out of my head. I'm looking under the door mats like a crackhead for this beer.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this as part of our Blind Epic Beer Tasting Event and it took 3rd place overall but it was a toss up between Rare BCS. List included 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, 2011 KBS, 2011 Hanahpu, 2010 Abyss.

A- Let me start of by saying this Bad Boy is THICK but not in a bad way. Pours like dark soy sauce/motor oil. Left a very nice coating on the glass when swirled.

S- BIG espresso dominated the smell. Hints of chocolate malt, dried fruit, as well as wet barrel. Smells fantastic.

T- Taste was exceptional and got better as it warmed up. You can really taste the Cocao and when you least expect it, BAM...the Vanilla hits you in the end. I really enjoyed this brew. Alcohol was undetectable and very well hidden.

M- Mouthfeel is THICK and coates the palate nicely. Light carbonation.

O- Overall, this is one of the best beers that I've tasted. The taste of this beer becomes more complex and changes as it warms up but in a good way. Can't wait to get ahold of another bottle to cellar and enjoy this experience again.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl.oz. bottle
2010 vintage
Served in a snifter
Acquired in a trade with Gonzoillini

Never before have I seen a beer pour so dark and thick. It literally looked like used motor oil. The liquid was so viscous that it left a sticky yellow film on the glass. A thin, short lived wisp of mahogany colored froth capped the beer.

The aroma was fantastic. Super intense with strong raisin and port notes. Some bourbon too. Semi-sweet and moderately boozy. Brown sugar also came through strong. Lots of oak and char as well.

The flavor profile was just as extreme as the aroma. Super roasty with a huge malt profile up front. Port wine notes and a strong raisiny quality were also apparent. Moch-like flavors were quite prevalent. Some brown sugar too, and a bit of vanilla. The finish contained notes of smoke and a touch of earthy hops. The hops turned more citrusy and bitter as the beer warmed. There was also an indication of heat in the flavor profile, but I could not tell if this was from the cinnamon, the ancho chiles or the booze.

The mouthfeel was simply outstanding. Outrageously thick, creamy and viscous with a finely bubbled, moderate effervescence. I felt like I was drinking a milkshake. This was by far the most robust body I have ever encountered in a beer.

Hunaphu's is a fantastic beer that really pushes the limits of what a beer can be. My only complaint is that the cacao nibs, the chiles, the cinnamon and the vanilla were barely (or in some cases, not at all) detectible. Perhaps I need to sample a fresh bottle to discover all these nuances.

4.36/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to BigBlacke for getting this one for me!

A-rich dark brown with a thick dark brown head that thins. i've personally never seen a head the dark before!

S-smells like thick dark chocolate syrup. there is definitely a little spice in there. smells very earthy. its not a strong scent, though i notice as i let the glass warm, it starts to become more aromatic. i'm even starting to smell some of the vanilla.

T-first of all..this is a long experience with multiple levels. comes in with good thick cocoa beans (sometimes i get some cinnamon). it then transforms in to a fairly hefty bitterness followed by a taste of dark cocoa. the cocoa bean flavor lasts in to a long lasting after-taste and it is eventually paired by a chile spiciness. i really like this spiciness. it adds something to this stout that is rarely seen in big beers. this is definitely a good and complex stout.

M-very thick with a medium to low carbonation and a dry finish

O-overall, this is one of the best stouts i've had. i feel like it'd be a lot better with out the bitterness, but i do know that there are a lot of people out there that value that. i know its brewed with cinnamon and vanilla, but i'm having a hard time finding it, they're probably meddled in with all of the other intense flavors going on. truth be told, i'm going to be very sad when this bottle is empty. this is a world class stout.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

750 mL bottle of 2011 batch shared with two others

A - Pours pitch black with half a finger of the darkest head EVER. Dark dark dark brown head with average retention and nice lacing. Never seen anything quite like it.

S - Vanilla, chocolate, considerable coffee bitterness. Even a little fig. The chile comes into play, as does the cinnamon. No booze to speak of, which is incredibly impressive.

T - I'm not worthy! This is insane. Vanilla and chocolate in droves. The chiles add this amazing je ne sais quoi that really rounds out and perfects the beer. Cinnamon is there to bring it all together and round things out. A touch of chile heat at the end to cap it off. Chocolate dominates the finish. I can hardly believe how good it is. The first time I've given a 5 in taste, and deservedly so.

M - Smooth, creamy, thick, and just right. A touch of heat at the end, from the chiles, which really enhances everything.

O - This is it. I never expected it to be this good, but this beer is just about perfect. A revelation, in many respects. Nothing is really close. Perfect use of the chile and the vanilla. Truly, this beer is unmatched.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

thanks to jason aka redbird for this sample

from android notes at DLD

vintage 2011

the pour was deep dark brown. not quite black but cose. very thick and viscous. deep creamy head. crazy lacing left over from the actual body as the sun hit the glass.

tons of spice and chocolate. hints of chocolate milk. bits of vanilla and roasted malt.

lots of deep chocolate and cinnamon. light vanilla and slight roast. very faint chili. i was expecting the chili factor to be stronger but it was rather subtle and really blended in well. a bit sweet.

very thick and chewy with a very moderate carbonation. really just coated the mouth with its thickness.

pretty amazing all around. my only complaint was the cinnamon aspect was very strong and dominating. but an outstanding stout. booze was hidden well.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

A - This beer defines black. The head alone is darker than most stouts. Absolutely amazing head retention and lacing. The best appearance I have seen on a stout yet.

S - Chocolate is the first thing that comes out to me, followed up by some dark roasted malts and coffee. Chile, and vanilla are there as well, just not as strong. Maybe even a hint of dark fruits in there as well. Very complex aroma full of a big diversity of smells.

T - Wow. You will never have a beer like this one. As complex as the aroma was, this is more. Balance of flavors completely shifts. Chile and roasted malts, coupled with chocolate and vanilla backing it up. Cinnamon, some more citrus-like fruit as well as the dark fruit (maybe dark cherry).

M - Not as thick as the pour indicates, but man this is still thick. Smooth as silk too. No alcohol noticeable, finish is sweet, slightly drying and leaves you with a sweet chocolate chile taste.

O - This is by far the best beer I have had. I am struggling to find a flaw so that this isn't straight 5's. I can't find much wrong with it. The aroma is deeply complex and perfectly balanced, the taste changes exactly as it needs to so as to keep you interested and stays just as complex and balanced. The mouthfeel is the only thing I can find a flaw in with the thin-ness of the body, but even that is still amazing.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this is a 2011 bottle?

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

This is the best Imperial Stout I have tasted I had on tap at the 2011 release and also opened a bottle at the Jackie O's One Funky Afternoon bottle release. The bottle that I had opened was damaged a little in shiping and some air got into the bottle so it tasted a little flat but was still hands down one of my favorite beers. Pour it in a glass and it looks like motor oil with a dark chocolate brown head. You can smell the chocolate and what ever peppers they used in brewing. Chocolate came through strongest in the taste for me along with the peppers, hints of coffee as well. Like I said one of my favorite beers I just wish more would have made it back with me from spring break.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

Vintage 2011

A: Pours obviously quite thick - crude oil. Broken, dark mocha foam coats the surface and then dissipates nearly immediately. No residual foam. No lacing. The beer coats the walls of the glass and tans the window.

S: Plenty of vanilla. Plenty of earthy and spicy chiles. The ancho chiles are more evident than the pasilla's, but nonetheless, the chile is there. Anise and licorice notes are also there, and IMO, more prominent than the cocoa.

T: Dark chocolate truffles laced with salt, chile and vanilla. Decadent. Very sweet and sticky. The beer is not particularly complex, but the ingredients are fairly balanced in here. I've read that the chiles are the fastest dying aspect of the beer - I'll buy that. The cocoa is at the forefront of the beer, but the chiles offer the counter to the sweetness albeit subtly. The vanilla flourishes in the ol factory aspect of the palate. There's bitterness which is predominated by the malts IMO.

M: Sticky, tacky, viscous, chewy. I really can't use enough adjectives to describe how thick and alive this beer feels. The thickness is only interrupted by the fine, sharp carbonation. There's no visual indication that this beer has carbonation, but the feel is spot on the for the style. Finish is dry and mouth watering.

O: There's no question this is a fantastic beer. Does it live up to the hype? Almost. A little more from the chiles and I would say yes. I can't see the benefit of aging this in barrels. The bottle size is a bit too much for one, but would be great for four folks as a digestif.

Another of my favorites beers out there. When they first released this beer, I thought it was perfect. Then they somehow improved it with this year's version. Amazing melding of dark chocolate, vanilla and chili peppers with a well hidden alcohol presence.

I've poured samples at festivals and always know when someone has come from the Cigar City table because there glass has a great, viscous brown coating.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

From 750mL bottle to Boulevard tasting glass on 5/7/11
Sampled at the 1st NoVA BA Tasting Extravaganza
*From notes

A BIG thanks to BZero007 for opening this one. Cheers, Nathan!

A: Damn. This may be the darkest brew I've encountered. With the chili infusion, it adds a bit of a muddy rosewood complexity to the 2.5 head and thick, sticky lacing.

S: Sugar, spice and everything nice. Dark roast black coffee intertwines with the peppery spice and makes for one memorable nose. Shrink me down and lock me inside the bottle - this stuff is incredible.

T: The balance here is pitch perfect. It's spicy, with the hot chili on the fore to the mid. The Zhukov really comes out on the finish, as it's charry and rich like the darkest of dark chocolate. Utterly spectacular.

M: One of the top two or three thickest beers I've encountered. It's huge, and unlike 2010's Zhukov, it's properly carbonated. Massive. Epic. This is such a big and lavish brew.

O: Loved it. I really can't find any fault with Cigar City's Hunahpu. If asked how to improve this one, I couldn't begin to tell you. It's perfect in almost every way, and one of the best beers I've ever had. Offering Joey Redner your first born isn't enough to satisfy the Gods, as this one's worth your second child too.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

I thought this was a dynamite brew. It is a unique spin on an incredible style. It certainly stands out.

Nice deep black with just a few subtle hints of red creeping in (from the chilies mabye?). Dark khaki head that dissipates pretty quickly, but left some thick lacing that continued to stick around throughout.

Really complex aroma. Chocolate, coffee, and all the sweet goodness from the RIS, then spice and everything nice from the chilies. Super well blended. Rich, complex, and interesting nose.

Basically everything you expect from the nose. While the nose was slightly more subtle and balanced, the chilies really kick up the spice in the flavor. Really awesome flavor. Almost like mole sauce.

Thick and creamy, just how you'd expect a RIS. Full-bodied to the max. A little viscous and filling. Couldn't pound this beer. But a nice sipper.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle from current 2011 release.
Received in trae from J2Brew2, big thanks!

Poured an extremly dark thick pour with a dark brown head forming and hanging around for a bit. The aroma was roasty but had the backbone of a chile and cinnamon combo. A extremly lovely aroma and appearance with this brew. The taste really blew me away as the body was thick it pushed the roasty chocolate notes through that were perfectly balanced with the chile/cinnamon combo. I keep placing these two aromas/tastes together as they seemed to become one in the drink. The flavor and aroma of the chile was apparant but the cinnamon burn and flavor was just behind it pushing it through. I have not seen a lot of balanced RIS with a bidy this thick in my life and I extremly satisfied with this particular one. I am marking my calender for next year when the next release will be.

If you have yet to try this brew, make sure you do.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Had this beer (finally!) at a mini-whale tasting.
Thank you, Rich (phillybeer7779) for bringing this!

2011 - 750ml bottle.

I'm not sure if I can easily review this beer. It was just so amazing.

Color is very very dark. motor-oil black and beautiful. Small 1/2 finger brown head that retains for a while.

The smell of of cocao powder and cinnamon, roasted dark malts. Didn't really notice any of the chilis, though, in the smell.

Taste is of rich dark chocolate and cocoa. Some spice from the chilis, but way in the background. Hints of vanilla. Megatons of gloriousness.
Mouthfeel was thick with little carbonation.

This is a great beer. One of the best i've ever had. Now I just need to find more of it.

2011, 750 ml bottle.

Uhhhh-MAZING! This review has been a LONG time coming. Had the privilege and honor of attending 2011 Hunahpu's Day at Cigar City Brewing, in Tampa as a part of our vacation to Florida.

A: Dark, dark dark! A true beauty amongst stouts. Pours like motor oil, and is thick like tar. Medium/dark head with a moderate retention.

S: Sweet, with the aroma of chocolate, subtle coffee scent, hues of vanilla and cinnamon. Such a complex whiff to a beginners nose!

T: This is definitely one of the best beers that I have ever had. Not an undrestatement. There is an intense cocoa/chocolate taste, but still hues of vanilla and coffee kick in strong throughout. There are also subtle spices that keep it from being overpoweringly sweet.

M: Full-bodied, creamy, goes down smooth. Slight after-burn, but definitely can be compared to sipping a fine, aged scotch.

O: This is by far my ULTIMATE favorite beer to date. I will saving the last 3 and opening them on special occassions. Definitely would consider getting on a plane next year with the sole intention of attending the next Hunahpu's release.

4.23/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to Rich (phillybeer7779) for sharing a bottle of 2011 Hunahpu's.

This stout looked as good as any other stout we had that night (11 DL, EH, Depth Charge) so it's hard to give it a better score than the others. It was opaque black with a thin layer of foam. It also appeared to be thinner than the others with nicer legs in the glass. The beer smelled like cocoa powder with a little fruity chiles and warm cinnamon, but mostly it was dominated by the dark malt. The beer tasted very nicely malty with smoky pepper upfront, chocolate and spicy cinnamon. The beer has a nice warming alcohol in the finish that is accentuated by the back heat from the chiles.

This is a nice, interesting beer that I would love to try again, but with a big plate of roasted carnitas, avocado, and grilled bell peppers and onions.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

750ml bottle into a Tulip Glass.

First Release so 2010 Vintage

A- Absolutely beautiful. Pours like motor oil with a thin 1 finger brown head that is just sitting there. Decent head retention with some really nice legs behind it that coat the glass. This to me defines what an Imperial Stout should look like.

S- Cinnamon up front with some nice spicy chilies and sweet chocolate. Plenty of roasted dark malts and wood characters coming through as well. Alcohol comes through as well but not to crazy.

T- First taste brought out a strong roasted coffee and sweet milk chocolate character with a nice cinnamon spice in the finish. Not much heat or pepper coming through like the aroma just a slight bit of heat in the back of the throat which to me is a great thing and adds to the overall mouthfeel. I hate over spicy beers so this is the perfect amount. Digging deeper the flavors of the barrel come out and combine well with the sweet vanilla beans and give it a nice musty wood flavor.

M- Full bodied with moderate to low carbonation and a nice wet and slightly spicy finish.

Overall i have to say that this beer is exceptional and extremely complex. All the right flavors come out and combine amazingly with the already A+ beer Zhukov.

SkÅL!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Reviewed from notes. On tap at the brewery on the day of the release. 03/12/11

A: Black as night with a ridiculously dark one finger head. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: The cinnamon is in the forefront. Followed by notes of the vanilla, chiles and chocolate.

T: The cinnamon is the first thing that you notice here as well. Then notes of vanilla, chocolate and a faint hint of the chiles.

M: Thick, creamy and silky. One of the thickest Imperial Stouts that I've had.

O: A really fantastic Imperial Stout that I much prefer fresh as opposed to with some age on it. I was glad to be able to get to try it on tap.

2.99/5  rDev -33.7%

2011 vintage shared with 2 non-BA's, my Dad & sister, sometime in early April. Big thanks to Belthor for this one.

Poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a thick jet black with the darkest head that I've ever seen. The head was about a 2-finger billowy chocolate color and had great retention. Great lacing.

S - Large amounts of spicy chili's with a slight vanilla undertone. Also present is roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and sweet dark malts. It definitely smells different, but not so much in a good way.

T - Up front are notes of cocoa, a mild coffee, and a little vanilla. I can't get past the sickeningly sweetness that follows next. On the finish, I get a lot of cinnamon and a little bit of spicy chili's, but both are more unpleasant than anything. Very strong presence of burning alcohol.

M - The mouthfeel was good and pretty much what I'd expect. It was smooth, creamy, rich, and fairly full-bodied. My only gripe was that it seemed to be a little over carbonated.

D - Overall, the drinkability just isn't there for me. The taste is unappealing and tough to drink, given the sweetness and alcohol burn.

I'm glad that I got a chance to try it, but that'll be it for me.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

2011 Vintage, 750 ml bottle.

A-Pours a bitch black with a reddish brown head. Thick juicy oil with perfect carbonation.

S-Smells very sweet, lots of dark chocolate and some cinnamon and a subtle coffee scent.

T-This just might be the best beer I have ever had. It tastes like a german chocolate cake with a lot of vanilla in the after taste. There are subtle hints of the spices from the chilies that are in the aftertaste more than right away and the coffee shines through perfectly.

M-Creamy mouthfeel, very smooth going down but a little bit of a burn. Nonetheless you know the alcohol is there but you cannot tell except for the slight burning. Even though you can feel the burn it is comparable to sipping on a nice scotch.

O-One of the greatest most drinkable beers I have ever had. I would never pass this down as it is phenomenal. Super drinkable for being almost 12 percent. Best thing cigar city has ever done!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing