Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 780 | Ratings: 4,045
4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

A- Solid jet oil black pour, small tan cascading brown head.

S- dark fruits, slight vanilla bean, chocolate malt some java.. and alcohol.

T- Right along with smell, dark fruits on the nose.. rich dark chocolate, vanilla bean, slight cinnimon spice. Alcohol very well hidden. Delicious.

M- Rich full body, low carbonation, great taste all around on the palate.

D- Complex flavors, great mouthfeel, well hidden ABV makes this one an easy drinking brew.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%

Had a small taste of this months ago, and couldn't wait to open one of my own! Poured into Jackie O's snifter and shared with the wife.

A- Pours thick and jet black. Looks syrupy when poured into the glass. Very dark khaki, brown head, recedes very quickly. So thick the beer leaves a film on the glass for a moment.

S- Very nice aroma. Get chocolate and vanilla mostly in the nose. Roasted malt notes throughout sprinkled with a little spice here and there.

T- Wonderful flavors throughout on this drink. Even better than I remember. Right out of the gate I get a bitter chocolate flavor mixed with cinnamon and chile spice. Chocolate flavor then blends nicely with sweet vanilla flavors. The sweetness takes over in the middle. Roasted malt flavors hold everything up nicely. Ends with sweet vanilla and still some chocolate flavors and again get some hints of the chile lingering.

M- Full body. Low carbonation. Thick, almost syrupy feel to it. A little dry too.

O- One of my favorite beers I've had. There was a lot of hype around this, and it definitely out did the hype for me. Could drink this all night long if I could. Now I can't wait for next year's release!!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

great mouthfeel and an interesting blend of flavors. 2015 bottle and cinnamon seemed to be the dominant flavor pulling through. hint of chili hit the back of the throat to finish. didn't pick up as much vanilla as i was hoping for. overall a great imperial stout.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2016 bottle drank on 4/16/2016

L-thick motor oil with a thin tan head

S-chocolate, hints of vanilla, cinnamon, subtle peppers

T- sweet dark chocolate with spices...some vanilla comes through and the peppers are subtle and not annoying or overpowering at all

F-drinkable big time...minimal booze. Really nice creaminess

O-first time I have had really fresh and this was very enjoyable. Great aged and great fresh!

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle courtesy of Hophead101 and mikereaser. Thanks guys! I believe this is the '11 bottle.

A- Pours a motor oil black with a 2 finger dark mocha head that dissipates fast leaving a thin cap. Some spots of lacing are left behind.

S- Charred peppers upfront followed by sweet vanilla beans, spices, roasted malt, brown sugar, faint coffee beans, smoke and dark chocolate.

T- Plenty of earthiness with some sweetness with charred peppers, cinnamon, vanilla beans, roasted malt, coffee beans, smoked malt and slightly bitter cocoa nibs at the end.

M- Medium carbonation with a rich full body. No alcohol heat is detected.

O- One of the better beers I've had recently. The chili peppers were incorporated very well into this brew and despite the high abv and big body, it was still was fairly drinkable. This beer deserves the hype behind it and I hope I can try the barrel aged versions in the future.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Vintage 2011, opened today at about 50 degrees. Nice hiss of carbonation escapes as the crown is popped. Pours syrupy, motor oil thick out of the bottle with a half finger of densely packed mocha foam. The nose hits you with rich milky chocolate, carribean spice, a slight vegetal (green) chili nose as well, no vanilla of note but heady, complex stuff. The taste while not as complex as the nose brings really rich, chewy chocolate mousse brownie, whispers of roasted coffee and as it warms a pleasant spice of chili that plays beautifully with the heavy upfront dose of chocolate. Huge and chewy beer that just coats your mouthand all the way down. Alcohol is not noticeable though this is a definte sipping, after dinner beer that is best shared by friends. Highly impressive and worth the hype, scared to think how in your face this beast must be when its fresh.

4.15/5  rDev -8%

a-a dark little head on a black as night beer

s- chocolate, coffee, tobacco, hops, charred wood.

t- cocao, pine, dry wood that has been lightly charred, tobacco and coffee and alc warmth at the end.

md- Silky smooth and very drinkable closer to a medium bodied porter the way it felt. I could drink a bit more and found it to be very drinkable considering it's weight.

Review taken from most recent batch.

2011 batch - 5.0

Thanks to black13 for sharing some of this at a recent tasting. Also thanks to urwithdave and coastiesimon for hooking me up with bottles of this. 750ml bottle split into a pair of Portsmouth snifters and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Black sludge pouring into my glass. After the heavy pour, it's as black as they come with a big light brown (not dark tan) head. Top notch lacing. One of the sexiest looking stouts I've ever seen. 5/5

S: Like sniffing an open bottle of vanilla extract. Banana Cream pie but not in a Belgian yeast sense. A dessert in a glass is what I'm now expecting. 5/5

T: Load's of vanilla, cookie crumbs, and decadent chocolate fudge heavy on the milk fat. It should be noted that I can't discern the chiles at all. A diabetic coma waiting to happen in a death by sweets kind of way. There's a place for that kind of beer, and tonight it's in my glass! 5/5

M: Huge full body that comes off thick and chewy. Despite the massive head, the carbonation is kept to a minimum and this stays smooth and silky. 5/5

O: A beer I will trade for every year. I've never had the barrel aged version of this beer, but I am hard pressed to believe this can get any better. As far as non-barrel aged stouts go, this is as elite as it gets. I've never given a perfect five for a big stout... Until now. The 2010 batch was superb. I don't know how, but this is better. One of those beers that simply doesn't need to be aged. Get it, and drink it, NOW! 5/5

2010 Batch - 4.47

Thanks to Arbitrator for sharing a bottle of this at a tasting the first time I had it. I knew that I absolutely HAD to secure a bottle of my own after sipping on a couple ounces. That way, my wife and I could sit down with a snifter each and truly appreciate this beast. That is exactly what we are doing at the moment!

Viscous motor oil liquid on the pour, this stuff literally "glug-glugs" into our matching pair of Portsmouth snifters. Side note - I need to get my oil changed in my car. Even the head on this is as dark as I've ever seen. My wife referred to the head as "chocolate mousse" in appearance. I wish I could be original and come up with my own descriptor, but that really is a perfect mental image. I do want to comment that there appears to be a touch of red highlights to the head. Black as pitch, thick as used motor oil, and the darkest head I've ever seen spells perfect score on appearance in my book.

Raw cocoa on the nose is accompanied by the vanilla bean. The big coffee that can usually be found on big stouts is missing here. Maybe a little chili is there as well, but that might just be power of suggestion. Also missing is any whiff of alcohol. Try as I may to find the ETOH, I simply can't do it.

Wow! There is a TON going on taste wise. Chocolate doesn't get any more bitter than this. Strong nuances of vanilla, spicy chili pepper, and what seems to be a bit of lactose culture show up in a supporting role. It should be mentioned that the chili isn't tasted as much as its felt. The back of the tongue and soft palate feel the warmth on the finish. Unique and delicious.

Ramnuts hosted the tasting where I tried this the first time. In his own words..."I can feel it coating my tongue!" Well said Frank. I can't say it any better myself.

This is a big beer that needs to be savored. That said, I did not feel as if my 12+ ounce pour was over-bearing or heavy. I possibly could have had another, but the one was enough. A simply fantastic big stout that might just have no equal. It would be an absolute travesty if this never gets brewed again. One can only hope that this will be a regular release. If it is bottled next year let me be the first...ISO: Hunahpus '10.

4.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 vintage. Met or exceeded every expectation that I had. Roasted grains, chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon throughout the nose and taste. Did not get much chili, which I was thankful for. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Would recommend, and will seek again.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle from Doodler. What a guy!

A: Pours very thick and oily - very dark in color. A thin tan head sits atop the brew and a moderate amount of lacing coats the sides of the glass.

S: Nice notes of coffee, mocha, chocolate, and a little vanilla in the nose. I did not really pick up the peppers in the aroma.

T: A solid dose of coffee malt, chocolate, and coco nibs. Hints of bitter hops in the finish and I finally feel the peppers kick in with a little heat and spiciness at the end of each sip. This is a dark chocolate dessert in a glass with a kick!

M: A nice full body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Pretty smooth going down - hides the alcohol quite well.

D: This is a dangerously drinkable RIS; the 11.5% abv is going to sneak up on you and you won't know it until it's too late. I'll admit that I think this brew's rating is being inflated a bit by hype, but it's still a solid A for sure.

4.39/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Chocolate bomb - faint vanilla and coffee tones come through, but get little to no peppers at all which was a slight let-down. Was deemed middle-of-the-road in blind tasting with other spiced stouts (Mexican Cake, Oro Negro, Pipeworks Imperial End of Days and Abraxas).

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - 4.5 - Pours a thick, viscous black, like crude oil. Aggressive pour yields tons of thick mocha head that persists. Note - a gentle pour gets you nothing but an aggressive one gets you way too much. Go gentle and then finish off with some high pour. The enduring head wins it points over, say, BCBS or other big stouts that just don't give you much.

S - 4.5 - Smells a bit like Golden Grahams cereal (and/or maybe some kind of malty dark brown raisin bread loaf) crossed with a hint of chili pepper. I aslo get something like coconutty suntan lotion. I get something akin to fresh pork bbq with a sweetish sauce. Smells like good food! All in all it's a very clean and comforting smell - not really what I was expecting.

T - 4.25 - Milder than expected for an imperial. Overall I think that holds it back a bit. Nicely composed and subtle. Leans sweeter. There's almost a liquor to it, or a liqueur. It's a rich, concentrated flavor like a very dark chocolate liqueur. There's almost a fruit something but I couldn't say what it is. As with the aroma, there's something almost like that nostalgic suntan lotion you remember from childhood beach trips, but in a totally palatable way. Maybe that's the vanilla. I don't think I'm getting any of the advertised cinnamon. After a while, the aftertaste is surprisingly of char, a char that was lacking in the main body, and missed. But if you've ever had cacao nibs, it's also similar to that earthy bitter taste. I'm left with a nice mild chili burn in the throat. There's a hint of chili burn/sting on the tongue, but not much. It's just enough that you like it and no more. That afterburn really adds to the savor and, along with the ABV, makes this one ideal as a nice long slow sipper.

M - 4.5 - Silky smooth but surprisingly less viscous than it looked when pouring. I'd call it medium bodied,leaning medium-heavy. Was expecting super heavy.

O - 4.5 - Certainly a winner and pleasantly unique. It definitely has a distinct identity, and in a good way. It's very well balanced. It's more delicate than I expected. Compare to Zhukov, which really grabs you by the balls and blasts you. I'd go about 4.4 overall if we could score freeform.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

decent but not blown away by this beer as I was hoping to be. definitely had the spices but IMO they were blended in a weird way, all there but hard to separate each one.

4.69/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Snifter Glass courtesy of CraftEyeDoc

A: Pours pitch black with a thick dark brown creamy head.

S: Chocolate, roasted malts.

T: Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Smokey flavor, Vanilla. I don't get the chilies but there is some strong bitterness that mellows out with the vanilla after taste.

M: Thick, lightly carbonated.

O: Very good balanced stout with bitterness and sweetness, i loved the vanilla and cocoa flavors in this. Definitely would like to have this regularly.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 2013. Poured from 750 ml into pint glass. Oily black. Little brown head. Smells of chocolate, roasted malt, and cinnamon. Tastes the same. Vanilla. Finishes spicy. Delicious.

4.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

2011 Hunahpu, reviewed from notes taken back in December 2013.

A: Looks like black. Head slowly formed, the way a nitro beer would after the pour. Head was dark brown and laced the glass.

S: Dark chocolate up front, with coffee hints (which are slightly acidic). Fruity aroma is mainly pomegranate.

T: Sweet, with bitter chocolate, moving cleanly into a slightly coffee flavor mixed with a slightly chile skin type stunted vegetal taste. Smoothly spicy aftertaste, mixed with chocolate and sour coffee taste to end.

M: Creamy but not too thick. Flows easily without getting too overwhelming. Slightly acrid, but has a great smooth finish.

O: Excellent in all aspects, especially mouthfeel. Was easy to drink and had enough tastes to keep each sip fresh.

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Combination review of the 2015 and 2016 vintages. 2015 vintage was simply a better beer - smooth, well-integrated flavors with ample spiciness from both the chilis and cinnamon. 2016 was far less superior, hopefully it gets better with time.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes...

2011

Split with my brother. Big thanks to Andrew for the hookup on this one...

A - Pours black with a two finger dark brown head. There is a good amount of head retention, and a little slippery lacing to be had. Lace could have stuck to the glass more, but I really enjoy the dark brown color of the head. Sexy...

S - Chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, vanilla, and some chilli/spice...

T - Starts out with a good dose chocolate. Cinnamon, coffee, and vanilla are also in the mix. Finishes with a good amount of chilli heat, and some lingering chocolate. This one is deliciously sweet. Not usaully a fan of spice in stouts, but the cinnamon really adds an unique complexity that i'm really enjoying...

M - Thick and creamy with a moderate amount of carbonation. Definite full body viscous feel...

O - This one definitely lives up to the hype. Cigar City comes through big with another excellent brew. Definitely something i'm going to be trading for in the future...

Cheers...

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a small snifter glass. Acquired in a recent trade and there was some minor seepage in transit, but it didn't seem to affect the flavor.

A: Color is a deep black with a tinge of red along the edge of the glass where the liquid met the dark tan, almost brown head. The head was thin and disippated quickly. Vicious.

S: Wow, this is complex and only got more so as it warmed. Rich cocoa, coffee, a little smoke wood (from the peppers, possibly?), some faint cinnamon. Didn't get the vanilla.

T: Very nice and rich. Like the smell, the taste has a lot going on and changes as it warms. Lots of chocolate, some smokey tang that I associate with a fire roasted sweet pepper, some faint cinnamon, a little coffee on the finish. Finish is long with a little heat on the back off the throat. Very pleasant finish.

M: Thick, very heavy, coating the mouth. Just a little carbonation, but perfect. Enough to give the beer a little life in the mouth.

D: This was excellent. Not your everyday beer, but very, very enjoyable. It's important to let it warm a little, as the flavors really came out as it warmed. I would have liked to see a little more vanilla. But this was very enjoyable and something I'll seek out again.

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-a nice hard pour reveals a 1 finger rocky dark brown head. Looks nice. Starts dissipating quickly to a wispy head and then to nothing.

S- Lots of Chocolate and some vanilla and rum notes. As for the chilis, I can pick up very slight dried ancho aromas that blend with the chocolate. Cinnamon starts presenting itself as the beer warms up, and adds a nice spice note.

T- Follows the nose. Chocolate is up front and incredible. Then in the middle of the palate the vanilla and rum notes present themselves. As the beer warms the cinnamon kind of starts presenting itself and it is really complementary to all of the other ingredients. Chili takes a while to be able to notice. But I am starting to get some chili head as the beer reaches room temp. the wonderful thing about this beer is that it keeps changing quite a bit and revealing new surprises as it warms.

M- Not as thick as a beer as I expected. Carbonation is quite low but perfect. Not as heavy a beer as I had expected. Dangerously smooth.

O- Best beer I have ever had. I expected something similar to Prairie Bomb. It is better than Bomb, yet a little lighter. This beer is like chocolate in a glass. Incredible.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Decided to finally review this one after having it quite a few times. Had a few bottles of 2010 and had it on draft at 2011 Hunahpu's release. 2011 Bottle opened on 6/3/11

Appearance: Very dark with a nice tan head that lasts for a good amount of time.

Smell: Great smell, can pick up combination of coffee, vanilla and some great scents of cinammon and chili

Taste: I Picked up some coffee and chocolate with a blend of the chili flavors. Very well put together flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: I like the thickness and creaminess of this one and just the right amount of carbonation

Overall: I really enjoy this one, big stouts tend to be my favorites and this one does not dissapoint at all. One of my favorite overall beers

Received today in a trade with mikesgroove. Thanks Mike you are a very generous man!

Poured into my DFH Signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with no light able to penetrate at any point. Thick dark brown one half finger head that recedes to a lacing relatively quickly. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very complex, even when still cold. I smell a lot of bitter chocolate up front followed with a dose of vanilla. Good amount of sweetness from the vanilla. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Taste: Everything comes through here! This is simply amazing. Chocolate and vanilla just punch your tongue. Its amazing how much these flavors come out in this beer! At the end of the sip I taste the little twang from the chili peppers. Cinnamon flavor does not particularaly stand out to me. The beer is not overly sweet but the base seems like a great stout as well.

Mouthfeel: The best part of the beer! So thick and motor oil like. Great heavy body but still some nice carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly!

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

This is probably the most complexed flavored Imperial Stout in the game, the only disregard is the aftertaste, it bitters out. Find one if its the last thing you do in Florida.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours black as night with a dark brown head. The head goes away almost immediately and leaves some lacing. The beer is super viscous and clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Initially I smell very sweet roast with hints of dark chocolate and dark fruit. After that I pick up the peppers as well as some alcohol.

Taste: Very sweet roast hits the tongue first. This is followed by dark chocolate, some chili pepper spice, cinnamon, and some dark fruit notes. The finish is roasty and sweet, the flavors blend together well.

Mouthfeel: This one just coats your mouth. Very thick and viscous with just the right amount of carbonation (mild). The finish is mildly dry.

Drinkability: I would have this one again and again. I'm super excited that I got to try this! I thought it was very well balanced. Great Beer Gland I got to try this one!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

750ml bottle poured into my Cigar City snifter...

Beautiful beer, pours as thick as I beer I have seen, dark, black and dense. A super thick and sticky dark brown head slowly emerges and stays for a while, leaving some lacing behind...

Wow, really strong, complex nose. Slightly salty and spicy for the chiles, sweet chocolate and vanilla, roasted dark malts, some cinnamon and coffee...

Hmmm, tasty. Salty and spicy, bitter and dry at first. As it warms, it really mellows out and a very smooth creamy chocolate and spice flavor comes forward. Incredibly thick, vanilla and a bit of a dry, oaky, somewhat hoppy finish...

One of the thickest beers I have ever tried...after drinking it looked like I had teeth from the 18th century. Smooth and creamy, thick and coating, well carbonated...

Great beer, way too complex for my palette to pick everything out...one of the most unique beers I have tried, will definitely enjoy my other bottle...

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing