Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 770 | Ratings: 3,986
4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

2013. The long awaited Hunahpu.

This is a massively flavorful beer - incredible flavor depth and excellently balanced all around. Chocolate is the dominant flavor and aroma. Incredibly rich velvety mouth-coating milk chocolate, bittersweet dark chocolate covered oily espresso beans. The madagascar vanilla beans yield an amazing bourbon-vanilla sweetness - some toffee too. It's perfectly boozy at 11%. It's like a spirit coated decadent chocolate vanilla spice cake. The chillies and cinnamon blend incredibly well together and create a spicy and slightly vegetal pepper skin with a cinnamon kick. It has a wonderfully smooth, viscous, mouth-coating full body with very soft carbonation.

Incredible beer that stands out as one of the best in my memory. It's hard to imagine that a barrel aged version could make it better with so much going on, but I must try one after experiencing this.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

750 ml bottle thanks to yamar68 for sharing this elusive gem with me! Mr. Hunahpu pours an extremely dark black with a one finger khaki head that lasts for ages, and is one for the ages. The nose brings me massive joy, I feel like a phish kid listening to Harry Hood for this first time. Glorious aromas: Huge dark chocolate, vanilla bean, roasted malts, and some spice from the chili's. There is a strong scent a cinnamon as well. The taste is extremely unique for a stout, it's very impressive and still not was I was expecting after reading so many reviews. Flavors of extremely dark chocolate take over my palate, along with notes of vanilla, spicy cinnamon, and bitter caramelized coffee. Hunahpu's is extremely flavorful and complex but not as full bodied as I was expecting. It's more of a smooth bodied and drinkable stout. The nose is the best part and the taste follows in superb fashion. The spice sets this beer apart from other stouts. It definitely lives up to the hype!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Beautiful stout with some great nuances. Big vanilla and chocolate notes. Rich and decadent. Would like a little more burn at the backend with the Ancho, especially given the sweetness level--good for 3 good friends or family. A bit too sweet for me, but well crafted.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

2010 bottle, poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours black, with two fingers of thick brown head that slowly fades. No lacing.

Smell: very chocolaty, cinnamon, vanilla, peppers, graham crackers, somewhat sweet.

Taste: Cinnamon, peppers, cocoa, vanilla, oak. A sweet/chocolaty start, cinnamon/vanilla middle. Fades to peppers and oak.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, moderate carbonation. Smooth. Somewhat astringent as it warms.

Overall: A very complex beer. Probably the best chilli beer I've had to date. The cocoa, vanilla and cinnamon play well with the heat of the peppers and the stout base keeps everything in balance. Very drinkable. I'm looking forward to cracking my 2011 bottle shortly.

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

Got this in trade from FutureCowboy. Thanks, Timmons!

2010 bottle shared with gwuilliums as our first beer of 2011.

A: Black, slightly viscous pour. Good head formation and decent retention. Good legs and decent lacing as well.

S: Very dark and roasty smells. Some slight sourness like I have experienced with many RIS.

T: Very dark roast coffee with some chili pepper notes.

M: Very smooth and round. The alcohol is nearly completely hidden.

D: Easy to drink and enjoyable.

3.56/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Looks awesome. Deep and dark, one of the blackest stouts I've seen. Dark tan head, I love it. I smell the chile's and not much else. Smelled a bit oxidized as it warmed, not as pleasant. Taste is decent. Standard RIS with flavors of chile and very faint chocolate. The vanilla was absent until it warmed a bit. The unfortunate oxidization masks the potential of both the cocoa nibs and vanilla. I was hoping these flavors would be the highlight of the beer. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Overall, I'm a tad disappointed. I see the great scores, yet I'm perhaps distracted by a fridge full of Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain that I know will never let me down. I can't help but think that Goose Island and the Bruery are way ahead of the flavored stout game.

3.96/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Big thanks to gford217

A: Pours "pitch black like an oil slick blah blah". Actually Hunahpu scores high marks in appearance because of its massive milk chocolate colored head. I cant chalk it up to my Duvel tulip because Ive been seeing plenty of impys pour into this glass with no head lately. This black liquid actually appears to be staining my glass brown as I swish it around.

S: Chocolate, coffee, some spice. Is that heat from the chili peppers or sharpness from booze? Hunahpu smells pretty good, but not terribly complex.

T: Opens with sweetness/dark fruit bordering on cloying, which mellows to reveal chocolate, vanilla, and a bitterness akin to fresh roasted coffee beans.

Theres definitely spice on the back end but I wish it developed just a little bit more. I found some cinnamon toward the end of the palate, but then again I was looking for it. The chili's become most apparent during Hunahpu's aftertaste, when you notice a bit of heat left to mingle on the palate. Overall the flavors are just huge, palatable, and pretty complex. High marks for taste, but I was hoping for a bit more defining character and less subtleness in regards to the spice.

M: Thoroughly thick and coating.... might stain your teeth. Low carb.

D: Another huge stout suitable for a 6-8oz serving in my opinion. Drinkability suffers due to sweetness, ABV, and general palate assault. For what it is, a great beer that I am glad to have tried.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

8 oz pour into Chimay goblet at Rattle n Hum:

A: Black body, somewhat brownish in the light, with a dark dark brown head

S: Big chocolate, coffee, vanilla, salami smoke, and caramel.

T: Huge chocolate: dark, but not too dark. Coffee and sweeet caramel complement well, along with some nice touch of smoke. Rounding it out perfectly is a good dose of cardamom. Brilliant. Unlike some other big stouts with big flavors, everything here comes together perfectly. Right proportions, right balance. Wow.

M: Full, with layers upon layers of flavor, a slight alcohol burn, and a long-lasting finish.

D: This is the perfect stout. Huge flavors, subtle flavors, big body. The only knock is that it's so understated in its strength that it can really get ahead of you, if that's a knock.

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a DFH Signature Glass. Bottle shared with a friend.

A: Pouring this beer, I felt like I was peering into Satan's soul. It really is that dark. Rising from the fiery pit, I saw a dark brown head. The darkest I have ever seen. It sank quickly, leaving a rim around my glass. Holding the beer up to the light, there are no highlights. No garnet, not reflections, nothing. There is no escaping this darkness.

S: I got my first whiff while pouring. I am intrigued. Submerging my nose into the rim of my glass, I breathe deeply. This beer smells fantastic. The roasted stout flavor lies in perfect balance with sweet and spicy flavors. A wonderful aroma.

T: Much as the nose suggests, this beer is wonderfully balanced. It has the backbone of a traditional Imperial Stout, but with the essence of the cacao, chilies, and vanilla all working together. The sweet chocolate dances on my tongue while the spicy chilies light the back of my throat. The vanilla helps smooth the whole experience out. This is one of the most well balanced stouts I have ever tasted.

M: Thick. As heavy as can be. The beer needs the body, though, as the flavors are so pronounced. It feels great rolling around my tongue.

D: I could drink as much as I can afford. This is my first Cigar City beer, and I can tell someone put alot of effort into the quality of this brew. I hope they can get their distribution and production to a level that finding Cigar City beer isn't such a tough (and expensive) endeavor. Until then, I hope to try a few more of their top notch brews.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2016 bottle drank on 4/16/2016

L-thick motor oil with a thin tan head

S-chocolate, hints of vanilla, cinnamon, subtle peppers

T- sweet dark chocolate with spices...some vanilla comes through and the peppers are subtle and not annoying or overpowering at all

F-drinkable big time...minimal booze. Really nice creaminess

O-first time I have had really fresh and this was very enjoyable. Great aged and great fresh!

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle thanks to the gentleman and scholar Bowman2001

Poured and looked like thick motor oil with a thin bubbly tan head that easily dissapated. Smelled multiple layers of chiles, cinamon, DARK CHOCOLATE, and a little vanilla and booze.

Average carbonation, viscous in mouth like mashed potatoes.

Taste is as it smells all wrapped in brown sugar and some raisin action. No booze, lingering pleasant roastiness in mouth. Very little heat from the chiles, just the perfect amount.

It s a beer version of a chile'd dark chocolate bar! Absolutely fantastic, though so thick get at least 3 friends to share the bottle. Cigar city never disappoints.

4.89/5  rDev +8.4%

Significantly better than any other spiced stout I've had (Abraxas, Mexican Cake, etc). Great balance, complex flavors that aren't overly aggressive. Well worth the effort.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

South Sound Tasting Notes

Pours black with brown head, very apropriate for an imperial style. Smell is chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate covered cinnamon. Taste is- you guessed it- chocolate, with cinnamon and dark cherry, some cedar character and some slight barley char. Very well balanced and the depth of the flavors keeps me sipping. Mouthfeel is appropriately thick! THICK IS GOOD FOR RIS (I'm talking to you, you bird-lipped Southampton RIS). Medium carbonation is near perfect for the body to make this truely decadent; as preferred, this RIS coats the mouth in rich flavors (ahem, JKBM, take note). Overall, wow, if I weren't such a homer this would get a perfect 5, but that honor is reserved for my favorite reserve series RIS. I love how the flavors are balanced, yet seemingly take turns coming to the forefront of your palate's attention. A true joy to drink!

9-20-2010
From tasting notes, 750ml bottle. Pours black, black, black with dark tan head; light only shows through the very edges of the glass. Looks like Abyss when poured. Smells like cold coffee and chocolate. Taste is sweet brown sugar with tart grain astringency and chocolate bitterness to balance it out. Cold coffee, malt sugar, restrained hops, and bitter dark chocolate on the mid-back tongue; very slight smoke flavor makes itself known only when you aren't looking for it, kind of tastes like burnt coffee a bit but in a pleasant way. The sweet and sour balancing act is great, there is a lot going on in this beer. I think the sour I'm picking up is the cherry and oak notes that keep playing hid and seek. There is a lot going on here in the taste department, one of the best RIS I've had to date. Extremely well balanced yet still very flavorful, and very drinkable. This is a great desert beer and I wish I could get my hands on a bottle to save for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, something of that nature.

3.26/5  rDev -27.7%

The issue comes down to taste with this beer. Huna, DBH just doesnt matter. It takes like im drinking a cinnamon sugar milkshake with some chilies thrown in.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Espresso brown color with a minor to moderate amount of coffee colored head. Completely opaque. Looks very thick and viscous.

S: Cinnamon, chocolate, chili powder, and magic. I once had a "perfect" cup of hot chocolate from a gourmet eatery that tasted nearly identical to this scent.

T: Bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder, chili peppers (flavor, but not too much heat). Very good overall flavor - pretty close to the ideal non-BA stout. Black coffee seems to come out the more it warms.

M: Excellently thick. Viscous and dense, but without being oily or silky. Very good, but not perfection. Moderate overall level of carbonation with fine bubbles.

O: One of the single best imperial stouts ever made. Complexity, depth, and balance of flavors that are superb.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Received in a BIF and opened for a AZ BA tasting. 2010 vintage.

Pours super dark (basically black) with a chocolate colored head. Nice lacing and coating left behind in the glass. Looks thick.

Smelled of dark fruit, chocolate, vanilla, coffee and a hint of chili. Intriguing.

This was a very unique tasting stout. Chocolate and roasted coffee are clearly present, but the additional ingredients really make this shine. Nice cinnamon and vanilla taste with a bite of chili heat in the finish.

Thick, full bodied stout that thoroughly coats the mouth. Nice amount of carbonation.

Really enjoyed getting to try this beer, but was glad to have friends to share it with. Definitely couldn't have put this down alone due to how full and intense it is.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle pour served in a Bruery tulip

A - Black, large brown head & great lacing

S - Cinnamon, dried chili peppers, dark chocolate, and raisins

T - A spicy blend of dried cayenne, cinnamon, and dark fruits up front. Loads of coffee come next, with vanilla and dark chocolate joining the party as well. The end is bitter roasted espresso and piny hops. Amazingly complex, incredibly delicious stout. In my top 5 for the style for sure.

M - Ultra-smooth/creamy and pretty thick. Very good.

D - A sipper for sure. A brilliant sipper - I really wish I had more right now.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle from PALMEJ1 (extra) - you, sir, are good people.

It was my intent to celler this once it showed up unannounced but that was not in the cards.

This beer pours very well. the CCB folks filled this one to the brim and there was a nice amount of carbonation in the pour with a dark tan head that stays.

Smell is beautiful, but largly dominated by the chocolate/malts. However, the aroma was so nice (and strong) that my wife noted how good it smelled. She then got a glass poured for her and 'enjoyed it'. She tried another stout at the same time and said it 'tasted like water' in comparison to this.

The taste is just good. It is so strongly dominated by the chocolate, and specifically that slightly acrid bite of dark chocolate, that even the malt was hidden underneath to a degree.

The mouthfeel is excellent. Though the pour suggests that it will by syrupy(sp?), this has a nicely full feel that is benifitted by good carbonation.

Despite this being, in my opinion, underaged (the chocolate really dominated the other flavors,) it was a rare brew that my wife and I both enjoyed and which I am hopefull to reacquire to age for a bit.

(8th)

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The aroma is cinnamon, chocolate, chilies, vanilla - exactly as advertised. Right away I can tell this is a super complex and intense beer. The taste follows the nose with huge chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon notes. Its such a big beer and sets the standard for mouth feel. The beer is coating the glass and my mouth. I can taste this beer 5 minutes after taking a sip because it coats the mouth and throat so heavily. Chilies have faded after a year, but still remain prominent in the nose and the heat builds as the beer coats the mouth and throat. It pours with almost zero head and that counts against it is the look department, but its hard to find anything wrong with this beer. Edit: 2015 version has less cinnamon. Adjusted scores on aroma and taste.

3.49/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

2016 bottle poured black during a spiced stout share. The nose was mainly chocolate with some faint sweet vanilla. The body was very thing and felt like flat cola. Some cocoa, a little bit of sweetness and hardly any heat. Maybe we had a bad bottle but that was not a very good beer.

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2015 opened almost a year after bottling. Much better then Abraxas, cinnamon is more mellow and overall makes for a much better experience and smoother beer. All the flavors compliment each other very well.

4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

I don't know if I can do this justice in a review, there were so many flavors hitting my mouth. Chocolate, coffee, cinnamon and vanilla to name a few. Really smooth mouth feel and not a hint of the 11% avb. The best stout I ever drank, it was so balanced and rich.

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from tap into CCB snifter. Reviewing from notes (not that I'd need them for this one because it was soooo freaking good) taken on 3/12/10 at the release at CCB.

A- Pours used motor oil. Blacker than black. A good inch of head that has nice retention. Leaves nice lacing.

S- Just heavenly! Big chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and molasses.

T- If I wouldn't have had the apple brandy aged hunahpu I would tell you that Hunahpu is the BEST beer I have ever had. However, I have had the apple brandy hunahpu. Therefore, Hunahpu is the second best beer I have ever drank in my life. The nose isn't far off here. Chocolate, vanilla, and molasses. The flavors blend PERFECTLY! Just when you think it can't get any better, the chilies kick in and you get a hint of them on the way down!

M- SUPERB!! CREAMY as they get. Perfect amount of carbonation. Leaves me looking forward to the next drink.

D- I will drink this whenever I can. If you haven't had it find it and try it. The only thing I could knock on this one is the fact that I wouldn't be able to drink it all night/day/morning due to the higher abv. However, it is a BIG Stout...can I even really knock it for the ABV???

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Sampled On: 03/30/2010
Sample Type: 750ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Acquired with the help of Zach(beeruser), thanks cuz! This brew poured like 10W-30 motor oil w/ a big two to three finger dark brown head. However, no pop when opening the bottle, I assume thats due to the bottle being almost filled to the top. Heavy lacing hangs on the glass and remains. Pretty awesome spectacle! The nose was of chocolate malts, molasses, peat, and oak. Tasted as you would expect from the nose, but with a finish of light vanilla bean, spices from the peppers, and a good hop backbone to balance. Extremely complex and became even more so as it warmed. The mouthfeel was perfectly viscous and chewy which is what I was looking for. This brew will tease you. Initially, you think you can drink alot of it, and really want to, but then soon realize that with the well masked ABV and thickness you cannot. This brew is really a meal in a bottle.

Overall, this is hands down, the best and most complete Imperial Stouts I have had to date. In my search for the Holy Grail of Imperial Stouts, this is as close as I have been. Fine job once again by Cigar City, this brew is worthy of the hype. If you have not sampled it you must seek it out! Thanks again Zach!

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been wanting to try this one for a while. Got one as a wedding present for a friend and have been lucky enough to obtain a second bottle, so here we go.

Pours a pitch black with a motor oil complexion. Very very slight brown head. Looks the part of a big IS.

Smell is vanilla sweetness upfront, followed the smell of sweet malt and some cinnamon. The faintest hint of chili is also evident. A great, complex smell.

Taste is sweet upfront with immediate notes of cinnamon as well. Lots of vanilla comes forward midway through and chilis come on strong at the end of each drink. Certainly a spicy element here, but far from overwhelming. A great combination and blending of flavors.

Mouthfeel is about right for the style. Very full and smooth, but not quite to the point of being sticky like, say, Dark Lord.

Overall this is one hell of a beer, and one that demonstrates the ability to integrate some marginally out of the box flavors without making them feel gimmicky. No one note dominates and everything comes together fantastically. There are few things better in the beer world than when you find a beer that is both unique and rewarding, and this fits the bill.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing