Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Ratings: 4,129 |  Reviews: 797
4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

750 bottle paired with mole rubbed duck over grilled polenta and a spicy chimi churi sauce.

A- poured about as dark as it gets, black as a moon less night with a bit of espresso colored creamy head. Super thick and oily so viscous it coats the glass.

S- amazingly complex. First I'm hit with dark roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Then smooth deep fire roasted chilies and chared wood. The chilies show up as a spicy but earthy burn. Layers of sweet dark berries and mexican cinnamon. Bourbon vanilla mixes its way in the sweetness with some brown sugar and molasses.

T- dios mio. This it the truth. Roasted everything! The coffee and chilies bust it up first and roll into the chocolate with such beauty. 86 percent dark chocolate with big tropical fruit and over ripe dark berries. The vanilla sweetens things up and brings a balance to things. Smokey wood and a slight nutty char deepen the flavor and bring it all back around.

M- chewy and thick. Light carbonation that lends its way to a nice linger and long finish, and that's super fine with me.

D- great I'd say. This is a huge brew in flavor depth and alcohol but this never get boozy at all. It just keeps me coming back for another sip.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Edited and re-reviewed 5/13/11.

Pours like motor oil. Freaking jet black with a very nice, tight dark cocoa colored head. Beer almost seems to have the same hue around the edges from the carbonation. Just stunning-like a beer float with no ice cream. Deep aroma of cocoa, dried fruit.

A great flavor-mild cocoa with a shot or 2 of espresso for good measure. Mildly roasted/grain like, with just a trace of booze to it. Almost an india ink flavor to it. Faint vanilla-it's there but underlying. Powdery, cocoa flavor.

Great body-you could stand a spoon up in this.

Just a great big hunk of RIS goodness to me. Knew nothing about this beer until I saw the hype here. Was lucky enough to score some on a recent FL trip. The complexity of the different flavors might become too much in the long run. Far different from the Abyss or DL. Well worth trying, enjoying, hording.

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

Philly beer week on-tap at Capone's (the next day)

Poured into a snifter. Pours an opague black with an extremely thick chocolate colored heading. Lacing is all over the plce. Left ring's down to the last drop. So alive looking for a RIS.

The nose is simply amazing. The main aroma is of the cocoa nibs the used. Quickly followed up cinnamon and a just an all out assault in the nose of coffee.

Taste again heavy in chocolate and coffee. A bite of warm booziness. There is another subtle bite to this beer which I originally thought was the the alcohol content but it was actually the peppers I was tasting all along . Simply amazing.

Mouth is full bodied and the most alive feeling on the palate I have ever felt for an RIS. Some diacytl is slippery on the palate as well.

Uhmm what can I say ? The best Russian Imperial Stout I have ever had.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +2%

3.8/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Lightly chilled bottle into a small glass... Many, many refills off this one. Thanks to HonusWagner for the trade.

My bottle was filled right to the brim and it leaked in transit, but it was still carbed and tasted great.

A: Pours one of the deepest, richest blacks I've ever seen in an imperial stout. It's capped by a thick inch of dark mocha head, with very solid retention, especially for its ABV. The final product is a nice collar on the brew. It's mildly leggy in swirls, leaving some residue on the sides of the glass.

S: Cocoa, vanilla, coffee, anise. A mild aroma of roasted, even charred, peppers comes through.

T: Very rich and vibrant. Initially I was disappointed by restrained spiciness, but it grows on me after a few sips. It's very cocoa-y on the initial taste, with a nice assortment of molasses, coffee, and very light vanilla (and that's only because I'm looking for it) complementing the flavor. I get mild anise near the finish. There's a mild peppery bite that carries well into the aftertaste (where I pick up some char, but not enough to complain about). Absolutely a top-notch flavor. Lots of things going on here, but the balance between the peppers, cocoa, and anise is very inviting.

M: Full-bodied in flavor, though not super-viscous. A mild alcohol warmth in the finish is all that hints at the ABV. The flavors are oddly integrated; at times, they're very smooth and play off each other well, but some sips are dominated by cocoa and others by char. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's a flaw. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of thick, syrupy stouts -- i.e. they won't automatically get a 5.0 on mouthfeel just for having a lot of residual sugar -- but when the flavor has this much going on, I'm impressed.

D: This is HEAVY. I tackled the bottle alone, and it took me over 6 hours to finish. It made me so full that it was uncomfortable. Maybe I should have split it, but since it leaked in transit (a major ding for this), I had no choice. Anyway, it's tough to finish and rather expensive, not a thrilling combination.

EDIT: I've tried additional bottles since the first. This beer varies a lot from bottle to bottle. I downgraded the appearance and taste scores slightly to accommodate the other ones I tried. I recommend it, but with reservations.

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

750ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Wow...talk about motor oil. This is the thickest pour I've ever seen. Pours a pitch black...no head at all - just a collar of deep brown and some sparse bubbles on the surface of the glass. No lacing on the glass.

S - Tons of coffee on the first sniff. Alcohol is noticeable, a bit of chile pepper and cinnamon. Coffee definitley dominates, but the other aromas blend in nicely. Some dark chocolate blends in almost as an afterthought. Peppers must be more prominant than I detect by smelling because I can feel them lingering in my nose long after pulling my nose away from the glass. As it warms a bit, I pick up a bit of maple too. Really nice.

T - Wow...cinnamon up front and lingering throughout....combines really well together. Reminds me of some kind of liquored up dessert coffee drink. A bit of caramel...just a hint of pepper, more in the aftertaste and feel than taste, although gets stronger in the flavor when the beer warms up. Chocolate is also more pronounced in the flavor than the aroma for me. Really, this is like the greatest dessert coffee I've ever had. Flavors combine together really well.

M - Definitely full bodied but not as syrupy as the pour would indicate. Carbonation is low, but with enough to give a bit of tingle. A light peppery feel (but no heat), some alcohol warmth too, but hidden pretty well.

D - Really, really nice impy stout. Hype on this one is pretty justified. Wow - great beer. Really need to let this one warm up a bit to really bring out the flavors and aromas. Was excellent when a bit too cold out of the fridge, but absolutely amazing after warming up a bit.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing