Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Ratings: 4,129 |  Reviews: 797

4.78/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

'13 Vintage. Poured into my Huna day snifter. #properglassware

Pours an pitch black. Looks like back ink pouring out of a broken pen. Sexy. Dark kahki head. About the same color as Founders RIS. Frothy mud sitting atop black water. Looks thick and amazing.

Right off the bat I get cinnamon and some nice vanilla. Biggest note of vanilla I have gotten from a beer that wasn't barrel aged. To be honest, I dont like a lot of beer that are brewed with vanilla (reminds me a lot of sweet chalk. Just dont like it) but this smells amazing. I get aromas of milky sweetness, chocolate and an ever so subtle roast as well. Just judging by the smell I have to say this is incredibly balanced. Nothing jumps out at me as being over powering.. Smells like heaven in a glass. ....I dont get much of the pepper though? Maybe my palate isnt used to peppers in beer but I am not getting it.

F*** me this is nice. I gravitate to beers that are on the sweeter side and this delivers a nice amount of sweetness up front. Subtle vanilla, Sugar and cocoa dusted cinnamon sticks right of the bath that mixes with more soft vanilla. The finish has a very small amount of pepper but an incredible lingering cinnamon stick with chocolate and milky sweetness. Extremely well balanced. and impressive. Perfect

Thick mouthfeel. It feels heavy on the palate but not oil like. More like melted marshmallows. Light in all the right places but heavy in the same way. I love this beer.

No trace of booze anywhere (to be fair, I have never been good at picking up the booziness of beers)

Overall impression:

I really love that the roast is extremely subtle on the palate and pretty much unnoticeable (at least to me) Hunaphu is the definition of a silky mouthfeel. The flavours are big and balanced but they all play together nicely. While I dont get too much of the peppers on the nose or on the palate I am ok with that because I dont think that would make the beer any better.

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle into clear plastic cup cuz that's how I roll when it's my birthday. Bottle courtesy of Bulbman.

A: Thick, viscous-like, motor-oil consistency looking beer. Aggressive pour leads to a thin peanut butter colored head that remains and slides down the glass as I taste.

S: Roasted chocolate malts, some vanilla in the nose and some spicy shit as well but it's the sweetness and a touch of the alcohol (or perhaps even the pepper) that bring the big aromas.

T: As Nicki Manaj would say: It's a motherfucking monster.The monstrous chocolate, sweet roasted chocolate malts are over the top delicious. Blended nicely with the alcohol kick towards the very end and the subtle notes of the chili pepper and vanilla finish ends this roller coaster ride of a beer.

M: Perfect mouthfeel. Big huge beer, sticky sweet mouth coating.

O: An absolute joy to drink. Was glad to split this with friends because I'm not sure I could have ever killed an entire 750 by myself but man would I love to try.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

3.84/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 mL of this long-time want courtesy of Tugg407 pours a rich black color with an oily, rainbow-bubbled tan head. Nice retention but oddly not much lace.

Nose is very roasty, slightly smoky with some black licorice and blackberries. Interesting and complex.

Taste is quite interesting, different than most stouts out there. Mexican pepitas, cinnamon, spices and dark chocolate. Somewhat mole-ish but without the peanut butter...soft ancho-esque chilis. Alcohol is big, but well integrated. Mouthfeel is soft and lowly carbed. Truly a unique stout to behold, I kind of wish it was a little more milk chocolaty. The dark fruit adds a nice little complex twist. Its really good, but I wouldnt put it in my personal top 10 stouts.

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%