Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

#45

Ratings: 4,196 |  Reviews: 811

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to TheGordianKnot for this. Just met him in Nashville, gave him $20 and had my bottle. No trading involved. Awesome guy.

Appearance: Pours a motor oil black with a half a finger of a brown head - almost identical to Zhukov. Blackest beers I've ever seen.

Smell: Smells of chocolate, coffee, slight dark fruit but not much, a little of the pepper and cinnamon.

Taste -Taste is chocolate, vanilla, chiles on the back end, cinnamon and coffee. Just awesome.

Mouthfeel: Thick mouthfeel - velvet like.

Overall: One of the best beers I've ever had - not sure if I like this or Zhukov more though.

3.56/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Looks awesome. Deep and dark, one of the blackest stouts I've seen. Dark tan head, I love it. I smell the chile's and not much else. Smelled a bit oxidized as it warmed, not as pleasant. Taste is decent. Standard RIS with flavors of chile and very faint chocolate. The vanilla was absent until it warmed a bit. The unfortunate oxidization masks the potential of both the cocoa nibs and vanilla. I was hoping these flavors would be the highlight of the beer. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Overall, I'm a tad disappointed. I see the great scores, yet I'm perhaps distracted by a fridge full of Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain that I know will never let me down. I can't help but think that Goose Island and the Bruery are way ahead of the flavored stout game.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing