Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

#42

Ratings: 4,190 |  Reviews: 811
4.43/5  rDev -3.3%

I want to give a shout out to Masterski for giving me the heads up that Cigar City still had some bottles of Hunahpu's left. Very glad to have the opportunity to try this beer.

This is one thick looking beer is my first reaction. The head rises from within and is about as dark & gold as I've ever seen. Almost a metallic gold colored head. Nice retention which finally settles to a ring around the glass. There isn't classic lacing, but the beer has metallic golden legs. Swirl it around and it literally coats the inside of your glass. Shiny deep brown in color and totally opaque.

The aroma lets you know there is a great deal of complexity here. Sweet, chocolate dark roasted malt.... A touch of cinnamon and just a sense of the peppers. If I didn't know the peppers were there, I could not have pulled it out. But once you know, you can detect the aroma a touch. At certain points while drinking it I sensed vanilla, but that was definitely later as it warmed further.

A lot happening here and this is almost as sweet as Dark Lord. Dark chocolate at first, roasted malt second. Then an explosion of different tastes. Each sip is a little different. After you swallow you get a slight warming from the peppers, but no spice at all. Prunes, molasses, vanilla at certain moments. The dark chocolate is probably the most consistent flavor. There is a brief moment of ABV, but not hit at all. Very complex.

The body is about as thick as I've seen. Just shy of syrup. Again, I mention the coating ability of this beer. Smooth until the peppers hit and provide a little tickle in your throat.

Grab at least two friends to try and kill this bottle. A slow sipper and one that you should enjoy in conservative quantities. I really enjoyed this, but if it had just a touch more vanilla I think it would be off the charts. The body on this is amazing.

4.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Had the pleasure of tasting this one the day of the release after I grabbed my ticket.
Was poured into a nice CC snifter glass.
Dark as can be with a slight very dark tan head. Smells of dark chocolate, coffee, and some sort of spice. The first taste is very different than any other Imperial Stout I have ever had. The taste is the usual IS bittersweet chocolate and coffee but then proceed with a spice taste. Also has a nice hop profile to it.
Medium heavy mouthfeel with a nice level of carbonation.
Overall, this is an excellent beer that I could drink anytime!
Curious to see what some time on a bottle will do for it.

4.9/5  rDev +7%

Poured from tap into CCB snifter. Reviewing from notes (not that I'd need them for this one because it was soooo freaking good) taken on 3/12/10 at the release at CCB.

A- Pours used motor oil. Blacker than black. A good inch of head that has nice retention. Leaves nice lacing.

S- Just heavenly! Big chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and molasses.

T- If I wouldn't have had the apple brandy aged hunahpu I would tell you that Hunahpu is the BEST beer I have ever had. However, I have had the apple brandy hunahpu. Therefore, Hunahpu is the second best beer I have ever drank in my life. The nose isn't far off here. Chocolate, vanilla, and molasses. The flavors blend PERFECTLY! Just when you think it can't get any better, the chilies kick in and you get a hint of them on the way down!

M- SUPERB!! CREAMY as they get. Perfect amount of carbonation. Leaves me looking forward to the next drink.

D- I will drink this whenever I can. If you haven't had it find it and try it. The only thing I could knock on this one is the fact that I wouldn't be able to drink it all night/day/morning due to the higher abv. However, it is a BIG Stout...can I even really knock it for the ABV???

4.9/5  rDev +7%

Finally showed up at my house from a buddy in FL.

An inky blackness to the brew with a nice tannish head. Great lacing down the side of the glass. Reminded me of used motor oil.

Smells of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a bit of spiciness from the peppers.

This was an amazing brew and a good way to start my ratings here on BA. Nice chocolate flavor up front. Coffee and vanilla follow suit and a bit of spice right at the end. Just enough to not overpower the beer or taint the aftertaste. This is my favorite beer of 2010 so far.

A nice carbonation to the brew and smooth as velvet, just lovely.

This is an amazing beer that I easily could have had more of, but price and rarity make it a bit hard to just drink every bottle i have down. Plus I want to see how it ages.

C. Hard to see clarity when the beer is Black
H. Dark Black
N. Coffee, Cinnamon, Chocolate, hints of Vanilla

Comments taken from my blog

Alright this is why we came to Tampa. While I have had this beer before at craft festivals I have never actually reviewed it. Love the nose of this beer, it has such strong scent of coffee and cinnamon. It is hard to compare that odor, but it makes me happy. After first sip you can taste the cinnamon, coffee, and a hint of brown sugar and vanilla. Pretty complex and matures well while reaching room temperature. I would say slightly chilled is a great temperature for this aggressive beer. It is very smooth and easy to drink. Not an extremely thick Imperial stout. Wow...I'm really happy that I came to Tampa and am able to pick up some bottles of this beer. I personally think it is going to become AMAZING over time.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Enjoyed in a snifter at CCB taproom.

A: Pours motor oil black with a nice tan head. Good retention.

S: Slightly sweet and lots of chocolate. The cinnamon, vanilla and chiles are subtle but you can pick them up. Wonderful.

T: Serious chocolate up front followed by the cinnamon and vanilla. I realized that the warmth I was getting was from the chiles and not necessarily the alcohol. Wow, I'm not sure if I have experienced so much going on in a beer. Given all the flavors in this beer it is extremely well balanced. One of the better i've had for this style.

M: Thick, very smooth and chewy. Low carbonation.

D: Very drinkable given the ABV. Could have a couple but i'm sure it sneaks up on you. Glad I picked up a few 750's to age and enjoy later.

Thanks CCB for another fine beer!

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout with THE SUPER treatment of 5 pillow sized bags of Pasillo And Ancho peppers along with vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa nibs.
FunkeyDelic and I got the honor to pour this stuff ALL day at Brewvival,and WOW.

A: Almost as black as stouts come with a very odd deep marron head. One of the most unique heads Ive EVER seen on a beer.

S: HEAVY chocolate, dark fruits and some chili spices, no serious burn from the chilies( I thought there would be)

T: Creamy,ULTRA roasty, incredibly well balanced, lots of chocolate and cinnamon,chillies finish it but once again not too heavy. BEAUTIFUL beer!!

M:VERY Full bodied beer, creamy and kinda hot from the peppers,little of vanilla

D: I drank the fool outta this beer at Brewvival, hell we were sitting next to a damn half barrel all damn day. Needless to say it keeps you wantin more when it hits your lips!!Drinkable... yes very!!!!

This was a Truly GREAT Beer from CCB. They blow me away with the treatments on these beers they are making, What gangster pimps. Thanks Wayne and Joey

4.77/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this on tap at Cigar City early in the afternoon right after I got my ticket to buy the bottles.

A: Pours a very viscous dark, dark brown with a very nice tan head with plenty of lacing.

S: Whoa, lots going on here. Everything is almost overpowering, yet fits so well together. Lots of chocolate up front, followed by more subtle hints of roasted malt, vanilla, roasted chilis, and cinnamon.

T: Even better than the nose. Right up there with the absolute best imperial stouts I'd had; definitely top three. All that's there in the nose is there with the first sip, and the complexity of this beer only improves with each sip as it gets a bit warmer. The chocolate is definitely the base, and the light touches of cinnamon, vanilla, and chili peppers are fantastic and make this such a well-rounded beer.

M: Very thick and huge. Nice and chewy, yet incredibly smooth. Fairly low carbonation, but entirely appropriate. No alcohol heat.

D: Insane. Each sip brings forth new nuances. I spent less than 16 hours in Tampa, waking up a 3:00am on consecutive days for early flights (one of which didn't pan out), and if I hadn't gotten bottles, I'd still be supremely happy and thought the whole trip worth it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap in to a goblet at the lost kangaroo.

Poured flat. A midnight black pour with an intimidated edge. Steady, sticky lacing.

Smell is roasty rich with a complicated sense.

Taste is roasty, creamy, slightly fruity with a peppery finish.

the best mouthfeel I have had in a beer.

The booze was not noticable at all to me.

Kudos to the Roo for having it on tap.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

CCB knocked it out of the park. Phenomenal beer. Thick, dark, aromatic, and extremely complex. Chocolate and chili peppers are a classic combo, and though I've had this combo many times in a variety of beer styles, never have I had it in a IS. And it really works and adds a new level of complexity to the already fabulous Zhukov.

Tried the Brandy and Bourbon BA versions as well, but the stock brew was by far my favorite... added alcohol and boozy notes from the barrels simply overwhelm the subtleties of this amazing brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shared from Big Z Beverage for our Pre-Night of the Living Ales Tasting. A big thanks (once again) to Alex for breaking this one out along with all the other epic beers we had.

A - Pours black, tan head (a fingers-worth), good retention, and some lacing along the sides of the glass. A slim cap of head on top.

S - Very pronounced chocolate, some chili spices (not overpowering though), vanilla, dark fruits.

T - Lots of chocolate on the palate. Very very chocolatey rich mixed in with some chili notes. Somehow, for me, the combo works. I've never had a stout with such a real pronounced chocolate notes. Sweet and spicy finish.

M - Full bodied, rich, smooth, light carbonation.

D - I drank several pours and it was just as good (if not better) after every pour. I'm looking forward to trying this in the bottle to see if it differs at all. The hype on this one is well-deserving. Possibly my favorite Imperial Stout I've ever had (beats Bell's Black Note, IMO).

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Had it on tap at Cigar City yesterday...btw, love the new digs!!!

A: Used motor oil is light compared to this beer. When I saw it coming out of the tap, I could only think of Hershey chocolate syrup! The head was dark; about a finger thick and faded quickly, however, it left a nice sticky residue on my glass.

S: Coffee, chocolate, molasses and some licorice. At first pour the aroma was not as strong as I thought it would be, but as it sat on my glass it grew stronger.

T: The first sip knocked my shoes off...the chocolate hit me like an Amtrak train, then coffee, peppers and faint vanilla rounded things up. As far as after taste, I love the sweetness it leaves behind, and the vanilla feels almost like mild licorice. YUM!

M: It is creamy and full body, chewy almost...someone should make a candy bar out of this wonderful elixir of the Gods!

D: This beer is scary good...after all, the 11% ABV is so well hidden that if the first sip knocks your shoes off, after a few glasses you will be walking home barefoot and wondering where you left your shoes.

This beer is special, not for sessions though. I think Hunahpu would make a great dessert beer, I could have this with a slice of Black Forest cake!!! AWESOME BREW GUYS!!!

Salud!

3.56/5  rDev -22.3%

Tasted on 2/18/10 at Big Z Beverage in Huntington NY during an in-store event.

This is the Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout with the addition of Pasillo and Ancho peppers along with vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa.

Draught beer poured by the brewer into a plastic cup.

Pours an ink black but unlike the straight Zhukov, there is a small tan head. Huge nose consisting of Bourbon aromas with licorice, chilies and chinese herbs. Smells exotic, like walking into some strange shop in Chinatown.

Big Bourbon-like alcohol heat. Rich and oily with tons of spice and bitterness. Flavors of charred wood and tobacco mix well with cocoa and spices. These flavors will stay on your palate for a long time. In fact, if you wish to taste anything else after Hunahpu's you will have to make a conscious effort to cleanse the palate. This beer has a ton of character. It is definitely an artisan product.

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Stunning.

On tap at Brewvival, huge thanks to COAST and the Charleston Beer Exchange for doing an incredible job. Charleston is becoming a serious beer town thanks to Scott and Rich at CBX in particular.

A: Almost black, with a beautiful dark mahogany at the edges. Dark crimson legs. Wondeful and unique.

S: The usual with bits of chocolate and a touch of cayenne pepper/chilis.

T: Amazing. Creamy, roasty, incredibly well integrated, with little spice and lots of chocolate. Shockingly good.

D: I managed about 4 or 5 five oz pours throughout the day. It was wonderful every time.

I love this beer. At first I was excited because I wouldn't have to trade to try it. Now I know I will have to trade for some because it is a top 5 beer for me.

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%

Cigar City takes NYC event at Rumble 'N' Hum, on tap. Had this the next day. Big peppers, great dinkability and edge. Very dark brown with brown lace. Cigar wood and chocolate, but the pepper is paramount.
Extraordinary beer, that I would seek out again, and I do not say that too often.
Had this again in bottle about 2 years later and it is very tasty stuff. Sour edge .

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

8 oz pour into Chimay goblet at Rattle n Hum:

A: Black body, somewhat brownish in the light, with a dark dark brown head

S: Big chocolate, coffee, vanilla, salami smoke, and caramel.

T: Huge chocolate: dark, but not too dark. Coffee and sweeet caramel complement well, along with some nice touch of smoke. Rounding it out perfectly is a good dose of cardamom. Brilliant. Unlike some other big stouts with big flavors, everything here comes together perfectly. Right proportions, right balance. Wow.

M: Full, with layers upon layers of flavor, a slight alcohol burn, and a long-lasting finish.

D: This is the perfect stout. Huge flavors, subtle flavors, big body. The only knock is that it's so understated in its strength that it can really get ahead of you, if that's a knock.

4.7/5  rDev +2.6%

Had this one at Rattle n Hum during their CCB brings everything event 2/17. Served out of a wine glass because they ran out of glassware.

A: Served with no head. Beer is opaque black, like a purified motor oil, premium grade! Leaves stringy lacing that eminates from the surface of the brew.

S: Smoky dark chocolate and cocoa are very apparent in the nose. Coffee aroma is strinkingly missing replaced by a very unique and pleasant chili spiciness that tempts the nose and beckons it closer. Flavors are not overwhelming though and in fact, quite subtle, which is why I dock this a bit for the style.

T: Opens with a milk/dark roasted chocolate. Cocoa is apparent as is a subtle roasted malt bill. These flavors feel like they've been meshed together and smoothed out with a sandblaster, they blend so well. End is a unique sweet spiciness akin to a sugared red chili pepper... sounds weird, but oh so very good. Finish is very clean for an imperial stout. No stickiness, no real apparent lingering flavors.

M: Medium to full bodied, very low carbonation and as silky smooth as silky smooth can get. Completely clean in the mouth and leaves no oily residue or sticky aftertaste. Finish is a bit dry and does not linger at all. It's as if this beer is made of liquified satin.

D: Some beers are rated highly due to hype. Some beers create hype by being good. CCB Hunahpu is in a class of its own. I just had this about 2 hours ago and I can't wait to have more. The smoothest, most drinkable, and most unique IS that I've ever had by a mile. I'd give this a 6 if I could. Deserving of everything that's been said about it.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Delivered black hole black with a cocoa-colored head, big and creamy that slowly dissipates and leaves great lacing.
Smell is roasted malt, fruitcake (wheat and alcohol soaked dark fruit), vanilla and a hint of nuts.
Taste is all that the nose delivers and ginger, hops and smoke. Alcohol present but not obvious or overbearing. Great balance.
Full bodied and extraordinarily creamy. Smooth like velvet or a baby's butt (bad image?). Alcohol warming with a slightly dry finish. You must drink this if the opportunity presents itself. No arguing.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Growler shared by HOPSHUNTER - thanks!

Pours black with a one-finger dark brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells amazing. Vanilla and smooth chocolate notes meet up with deep and dark malt flavors with just a hint of underlying heat. Tying everything together are hints of cinnamon. What really seals the deal for me in the aroma department is not what is included but in what levels it's included. Everything present plays off of each other perfectly.

Tastes great. Roasted malt flavors and robust dark chocolate kick things off and are joined shortly by mild hints of vanilla. The vanilla serves to sweeten things up a bit until near the end of the sip when an earthy heat that builds on itself enters into things and carries through to a mildly bitter ending. The cinnamon doesn't make nearly as much impact as it does on the nose.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very smooth thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass absurdly quickly and could easily have five more trying to dissect everything going on in this beer.

Overall this is one of the most well done and interesting beers I can remember having. I look forward to trying this again someday and hoping that it's as good as I remember it being. Do yourself a favor and make it a point to try this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this at the grand reopening on January 15th so I'm going off memory.

A - Appearance was black with a thin brown head that dissipated quickly

S - Vanilla, coffee, chocolate and a cinnamon like smell probably from the chillies

T - Amazing, Goes trough 4 different distinct flavors vanilla, coffee, chocolate and the chillies on the backend. Honestly I didn't think this would be as wonderful as it was. I thought the chillies would be to much but they made it just perfect.

M - Creamy

D - At the high ABV of 11.5% the alcohol is masked extremely well.

Overall this is a beer lovers dream extremely complex and super tasty. Easily my new favorite beer.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Had this at the re-grand opening event on 1/15/10.

A- Pour a thick black with a light dark brown head.

S-Vanilla and light chocolate hit the nose first then some roasted malts.

T-Again big vanilla. Then roasted malts come in with some chocalate (not dark, but not milk either). No bitterness present. Great flavor. You cant really taste the chili peppers at all. No heat either.

M-Very creamy, and kinda hot. I didnt taste the peppers, but about 1/3 done witht he beer and you start to feel a slight burn, a good burn down your throat. Not an alcohol burn tho, a hot pepeper burn.

D-For and 11.5% beer, you cant taste the alcohol at all. If I were to guess, I would have said 7%. This is one great beer, I could have a ton of these, until I started to stagger across the room. Best beer I have had to date. PERIOD.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer at the Cock & Bull Pub's Cigar City night.

It's black, of course, with a foamy dark brown head.

It smells of chocolate and coffee.

The taste is very chocolaty. With the creamy body it's very much like a beer-chocolate milkshake. But that's not all. There is also a nice chili spice. It's not hot; instead the beer has just a twang of heat. Very good. There is no hint of the high alcohol level, so beware.

The body is super-creamy. It's the creamiest beer I can remember.

An excellent beer. It's one of Cigar City's best, and that's saying a lot.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber shared by wetherel on 12/13/2009. Thanks! The beer is black with a small light brown head and good retention.

The nose is very interesting. It was a bit muddled at first when too cold, but when allowed to adequately warm it became very complex. I noticed cocoa, cinnamon, vanilla, coconut, and a distinct spiciness borrowed from the ancho and pasillo peppers. The amalgamation of these various oddities is surprisingly alluring.

The flavor is as delicious as the aroma, if not better. Notes of vanilla, chocolate, aromatic cinnamon, and chile peppers combine beautifully. Andrew commented on coconut, and I must say that I get a dash of that. The spiciness is subtle at first but becomes more apparent with warming. The accretion makes for a pleasantly spicy finish to add to the vanilla, chocolate, and cinnamon. A whisper of alcohol is apparent at the end. Carbonation is at a low moderate level, and the mouthfeel is full, smooth, and slightly sticky.

This is excellent stuff, and definitely the best I've had from Cigar City. I've upped mouthfeel to a 5 to reflect what I believe to be a more accurate overall score.

4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

From notes

The look is a light weight of motor oil. A light brown head diminishes to a persistent skim atop this opaque beauty. Just the look for a big stout, nice.

The smell is a medium aroma of all the different burnt and bitter flavors one expects in a stout, but more of them, joined here with spicy notes, maybe clove or cinnamon, and behind it all, not at all overpoweringly, is the chile. It is a marvelous bouquet, complex, somehow balanced, full of the darker side of wonderful flavor.

The sip is an immediate jolt of taste, sharp, creamy, rich, bitter, smoky, all at once. It starts full of these blackest roast flavors, burnt sugar, bitter chocolate, darkest roast coffee, pure herbal bitter into a finish that finally crescendoes on notes of spice and hot pepper. Crazy complexity here. Each sip gets better, the coffee and bitter chocolate grow, the spice blends, the peaks in the sip ascend. I feel like I am drinking flavors I've never tasted. The chile doesn't overpower, making this flavor, this finish, bold, clean, dark, lasting, and mind blowing. Incredibly good.

Mouthfeel is not the thickest of this style, but holds its own. Carbonation is tastefully low, but lasts through the glass, and compliments well. Very pleasant feel here, not artificial at all, supporting the flavor profile quite well. Nice.

Drinkability rating for a stout strikes me as somewhat moot, always has, but this stout is a sipper of cautionary proportion in every way possible.

Impression: Complex and dark and delicious. This is a must try.

4.1/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Mini-growler shared by nickd717 at a recent Cigar City tasting. Thanks for sharing this rarity, Nick.

The pour was black, tar-like and completely opaque, topped by a head that was a shade or two lighter than black. The color made me dread that this was going to be another burnt, acrid Cigar City imperial stout.

The aroma alleviated my fears somewhat as a huge bouquet of chocolate and cinnamon wafted up from the glass. Hot pepper and alcohol stung my nostrils, while vanilla brought a balancing sweetness. Beneath it all was the signature of Cigar City - burnt things, tar pit and fresh asphalt.

The taste, sweet and chocolatey up-front, spicy both from cinnamon and hot peppers - truly like drinking a blend of stout and xocolatl. Despite the almost excessive use of adjuncts, the base beer shines through with its heavily roasted, nearly burnt malt character. Sweetness from the chocolate and vanilla balance the bitterness with surprising finesse, never quite becoming cloying despite its richness. The finish reveals flavors of French roast coffee and burnt toast, and just when you think it's done the heat from the peppers coat the palate, leading into an aftertaste of cinnamon and chiles.

Well, they finally did it. That's right; Cigar City made a good beer. I know, I'm surprised too. This is good stuff, I might even track down a bottle when they come out next year.

Edit: Had this from a bottle, not as good, though still solid.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing