Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 762 | Ratings: 3,918
4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

750ml capped bottle into a snifter - 2010 Vintage

A: Pours pitch black straight out of the bottle like motor oil...very thick looking. The head is one of the darkest I've seen on a beer and it fades to a ring leaving small bits of lacing.

S: The nose is full of big aromas including dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, peppers, fudge, and dark fruits. The peppers are actually more pronounced than I expected.

T: The taste is a big hit of roasted/burnt malts, coffee, and dark chocolate at first and as it progesses I can pick up the chilli peppers and a vanilla flavor on the finish. It's mainly all roast but the other flavors balance that out during the finish. It starts kind of bitter but ends sweet.

M: The beer is thick and creamy...definitely full bodied. Carbonation is actually nice for such a big beer.

O: This is one of those over the top beers that tastes good but is a bit much for one sitting. I like it but I don't think I'll search this one out again.

4.15/5  rDev -8%

Live review of a 2011 750mL bottle.
A: Opaque black with probably the darkest slow developing head I've ever seen with some lacing.
S: Boozy dark chocolate, spicy with a somewhat floral yeast character, banana and caramel, some vanilla oak character, and blackberries. Pretty good, but relatively unassuming.
T: Dark chocolate creaminess with a spicy (cinnamon) and a very mild pepper flavor (it tastes how peppers smell), while the linger is the peppers, spice, and vanilla. It almost comes off like a dark chocolate-covered chiles. The alcohol bite is noticeable and clean about halfway through. The spice builds as you sip.
M: Creamy, but thinner, with a crisp almost harsh finish (with the alcohol and heat).
O: This is probably the best use of chiles in a beer I could imagine. It's very original and almost difficult to compare to other stouts. I like it.

3.88/5  rDev -14%

2011 bottle poured into Bruery snifter

A: Thick viscous mixture that is pitch black an a bright tan head that quickly is just lacing.

S: Heavy roast malt, bitterness from cocoa nibs, a slight hint of chile and some smoke.

T: Also a very heavy roast flavor just to Marshal Zhukov style unsurprisingly. A mixture of flavors, none of them overshadowing the roasted burnt ashy malt flavors. Some of the other flavors coming in are a sweet malt backbone, definite chile presence with a tiny bit of heat even coming through. The cocoa nibs are really hard to pick out among cinnamon and chile spices but they are there adding a little bit of bitterness. Some smokey notes are there as well, literally giving this a chipotle feel to the stout.

M: Thick, just as seen in the pour and a light carbonation.

O: I can definitely enjoy it, it has some sweetness mixing in with the smoke, chile peppers, cinnamon and cocoa nibs. This is literally a kitchen sink of beers with many things added. It is good and a beer worth seeking out, but not an all time favorite stout of mine.

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

VINTAGE 2011.

Poured into a cigar city snifter glass.

Appearance: Dark black bodied beer with a dark brown head less than a one fingers head. Motor Oil yet again!

Smell: Smells of roasty coffee and dark chocolate. Mild smoke noted also.

Taste: Vanilla hits the palate with a mild sweetness, but makes its present know. The malts are of roasty coffee and become integrated with the peppers which impart a taste of smoke, spiciness and an almost meaty flavor to this beer. I really don't get much cinnamon out of this beer, it seems to be a minor player and is out done by the peppers. Bakers chocolate is found mid-taste and brings everything together. It offers a dry finish to the beer and really makes the vanilla sweetness pop. It excentuates the roasty coffee notes imparted from the malts and adds the mild zip from the peppers. What a nice complexity the beer has going here!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer with low carbonation. Motor Oil consistency.

Overall: One of the more complex Imperial Stouts that I have tried to date. Especially when you throw in the factor of this beer not being aged in a barrel. Nice balance of the many ingredients used in brewing this beer. The verdict is that I do enjoy Hunahpu more than Marshall Z after tring both of these beers tonight.

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.
2010 Vintage.

A - Pours an oily and viscous velvet black liquid with a thin but dense dark dark brown head that is about 0.25 inches. Wow. Beautiful.

S - Cocoa powder, milk chocolate sweetness, molten chocolate lava cake. Some bitter dark chocolate as well. Wow. This nose is great. Sweet sweet molasses and caramel. Woody vanilla and cinnamon are present on the nose in the back end. Nice spice to it as well. Bready sweet malt with some oat character and some fresh grain. Wow!

T & M - Oily and velvety start. Bitter dark chocolate and some peppery spice notes. Burnt wood and grain notes mixed in with some cinnamon notes. Milk chocolate sweetness comes up in the middle along with some vanilla as well as some more woody notes. There is caramel and some nice cinnamon through the middle as well. The sweetness comes up after the spice and roasted notes to balance these. The finish has that woody and spicy notes and a slight sticky bitterness lingers after. Very pure chocolaty. Delicious. Mouthfeel is pretty full. It has a nice oily character. Good CO2 and a great spicy finish as it warms.

O - Beer is delicious. Very nice offering from CCB. Chocolaty and very spicy. Reminds me a bit of the Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Hunahpu 2011 – coats the glass when you swirl it…dark as a black hole, looks great. Swirling builds a thin tan head. chocolate and spiciness…taste – spicy, but really good…coffee, roasted malts, solid flavor. Body is medium, but an easy drinker that slips down like water. overall solid RIS, easy drinker, great flavor (dark raosted malt coffees), really enjoyable.

--- EDIT --- 2011-11-24
had this again last night at a nutty tasting and i'd have to bump the taste and overall to the full monty of a 5. this is really a world class beer and the spiciness held up really well...it was drinking fantastic. gorgeous to look at, smell it all day, and the taste is just amazing. one of the more unique and outstanding beers out there in my opinion.

--- EDIT --- 2012-05-25
2012 vintage (had this not too long ago, but popped a bottle tonight to enjoy with my hunah snifter). gorgeous look of deep dark sludge with a really nice deep brown cap. smells of spicey cocoa nibs and cinnamon. taste is that wonderful medley of spicey peppers cinnamon vanilla and of course deep chocolatey cocoa nibs. there is no mistaking that this is a big beer and a monster to take on alone, but i was feeling brave and needed something kick ass and special tonight and this fit the bill for rewarding myself. cheers! the taste is unique and likely a 5, the rest of my review stands.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%

Cracked this open on July 3rd for my first anniversary celebration. Couldn't find a better reason to drink this big guy...

a: motor oil black and as thick as it when you pour it out. Beautiful creamy head with tons of dark brown bubble springing up. Nice thick brown lacing and it looks very very thick.

s: sweet and cocoa. No heat from the alcohol in the nose, but there is a rich buttery chocolate aroma pouring off the glass. Something spicy as well.

t: chocolate, rich chocolate. I am getting tons of it, more sweetness in the middle and a little spice from what I'd assume to be the chili. Not strong, but compliments the cocoa very very well. finishes bitter with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon and leaves you dry waiting for the next sip.

m: creamy and buttery. extraordinarily thick. too thick for the warm summer night that I drank it on, but in the winter what a wonderful brew this will be to try again. spreads through the mouth and stays long. very sticky sweet.

o: just wow. this beer has tons of flavor. it is truly unreal to me how they packed in this much flavor without even a touch of booze. I didn't get heat one time. the chili spice is great with the cocoa. they did a better job using it than DFH did with Theobroma. Just a wonderful beer and I cant wait til the next time.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

750Ml bottle poured into a wine glass 2011 vintage.

Pours a very dark black with a small very dark brown but thin head. Nose is chocolate, spicy and coffee.

Wow, taste is awesome the spiciness is all over the place and there is tasty chocolate flavor that's really unique with the peppers. Very surprised this is much better than other hyped stouts.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

2011 vintage. I took the bottle out of the fridge, and allowed it to warm for about 30 minutes before I poured my first sample into my tulip glass.

A: I cannot recall another beer pouring any darker than this beast. It looked exactly like used motor oil coming out of the bottle, absolutely no chance of any light making it's way through whatsoever. A normal pour yielded about a 1/2 inch very dark brown head, again one of the darkest I have ever seen. Looks very appetizing.

S: Wow, where do I even begin? Chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, cinnamon, and a hint of chiles, somewhat subdued.

T: The first sip absolutely blew me away. I honestly didn't move for about a minute, savoring and trying to comprehend all of the flavors I was experiencing. By this time, it had warmed up to the perfect temperature, and all of the flavors seemed to complement one another perfectly. Strong cocoa/chocolate flavor, with cinnamon also pronounced. The vanilla and chiles were also noticeable, but not overpowering, playing a perfect supporting role. It is so completely rich, that drinking a couple ounces took quite a while, but I enjoyed every second of it.

M: The mouthfeel on this sucker was amazing, one of the best I've ever had. Very thick, but at the same time silky smooth, almost velvety.

O: This beer is probably the best non-barrel aged imperial stout I've ever had. It's so complex that it seems no amount of description will do it justice. It's balanced perfectly, all of the different flavors seem to blend together better than I ever could have imagined.

This was my first Cigar City brew. I huge bravo to everyone involved in the creation of this beauty!

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

Big thanks to jwjon1 for this bottle. This is one I've been wanting to try for a while.

A: Poured jet black and looked like motor oil coming out of the bottle (my girlfriend was terrified), and yet it somehow still had great carbonation and a thick dark brown head.

S: Wow, this beer smells really incredible! Dark chocolate and roasted malt and some other spices that I can't quite put my finger on. I just want to smell this forever.

T: Damn, it tastes good, but I wanted it to be so much better. It's chocolatey and sweet, but I had hoped that the chilies and cinnamon would come through more in the taste. It didn't taste THAT much different than its baby brother base beer, Marshall Zhukov's. Once it warmed up a little, the chilies came through more, but I thought it could've used more of that flavor.

M: Very smooth, but the stickiness of it got to me after a while.

O: Hunahpu's is a damn good beer, but I wanted it to be amazing, and it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Maybe it's just because I'm a big fan of spicy food, but I wanted more of that flavor in the beer than just the hints it offered, because what was there was great. Still, this is a very nice, unique beer.

Edit: Opened a second bottle and it was much more what I had hoped Hunahpu's to be. The cinnamon and chilis really shined this time around and made it a fantastic beer. I'm not sure what was wrong with the first bottle I had, but the second one was considerably better - I'm upping taste and overall ratings from 4 to 4.5.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

A: This poured 100% pitch black with thick dark brown head. Maybe the darkest beer I've seen.
S: It smelled like rich dry cocoa and cinnamon and chipotle, with fresh roasted coffee and vanilla and chili powder, and a bit of toffee.
T: It tasted like rich chocolate and chili powder and chipotle, with fresh roasted coffee and cinnamon and vanilla, with a bit of molasses. It had a spicy and very dry aftertaste that was bittersweet.
M: It was crazy thick with a little carbonation. Maybe the fullest body I've had.
D: This was perhaps my favorite stout on record. I could imagine bourbon aging to make it even better, so it's maybe not perfect, but man it's close. The scent and taste are so delicious and unbelievably complex. The body is basically perfect. The bit of alcohol heat is masked by the chilies, so it's surprisingly easy to drink. This would be better fresh, I suppose, but I'm sure it would still be great after some years in the cellar. I love this beer and need more ASAP.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to BastionShaw for this beast of a bottle!

Pours a coffee brown, with the darkest head that anyone in the tasting circle had ever seen. About 1/2 a finger worth of head on my pour. Smell! I wish I could smell this beer forever. Each whiff brings a different smell be it Ovaltine, Blackened peppers, tobacco, dark dark chocolate. The smell alone is phenomenal. Onto the taste, with the first sip you get a burst of deep roasted chocolate and as you let that that linger you get a grilled pepper flavor that dances in your mouth. Every sip is different from the next. The mouthfeel is nice but not in your face. The chilies play a good role in letting the tingling sensation coat your mouth without burning your tongue. Also this beer leaves your mouth feeling dry like a tannic wine, but it works! Overall I am ecstatic I got to try this beer and would love to snag another bottle!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Dan for hooking this up. Poured into a tulip. This has a nice creamy looking tan head atop a pitch black body. There is a bit of sticky lacing.

The aroma is full of delicious chocolate (really nice bittersweet dark chocolate). There is a bit of sweetness from the malt. I get a bit of a vegetal aroma that could be the chilies or the hops; it isn't very powerful.

The taste is, like the aroma, mostly chocolatey. There is some nice support with the vanilla flavor. There is just enough sweetness to bring out the best flavors. The finish has just the slightest bit of heat from the chillies.

The mouthfeel here is really enjoyable. The body is relatively heavy, even for a stout (probably because of the adjuncts) and the carbonation leaves a nice fluffy sensation. This is a great mouthfeel.

This beer is not only unique, it's very enjoyable. I had it last year, was confused at the first sip, but at the end of my glass I loved it. I will look to have it again for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Espresso brown color with a minor to moderate amount of coffee colored head. Completely opaque. Looks very thick and viscous.

S: Cinnamon, chocolate, chili powder, and magic. I once had a "perfect" cup of hot chocolate from a gourmet eatery that tasted nearly identical to this scent.

T: Bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder, chili peppers (flavor, but not too much heat). Very good overall flavor - pretty close to the ideal non-BA stout. Black coffee seems to come out the more it warms.

M: Excellently thick. Viscous and dense, but without being oily or silky. Very good, but not perfection. Moderate overall level of carbonation with fine bubbles.

O: One of the single best imperial stouts ever made. Complexity, depth, and balance of flavors that are superb.

4.21/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle from TKEbeerman to celebrate my first fathers day pours one of the best pours I have ever seen. Seems to almost come out of the bottle lumpy. Thick, pitch black. A solid 1/2 inch of chocolate covered head develops and fights to stick around, fades to some beautiful wispy bubbles on the surface and eventually to a permanent ring. Slightly oily on the glass, not much lacing if at all.

Let this one warm up. Initially there was this boozy thing going on that dominated the nose, but once it warmed up just a bit there are all sorts of developments. A mixture of cocoa and vanilla that best remind me of rich chocolate cake. Very sweet and then something catches me in the back of my nose, the chilis or cinnamon, maybe, but it isn't defined enough for me to grab onto.

Taste was not as amazing over the top as I'd hoped for. Might have sat on it too long? as things seemed a little muddled or faded. But there is still alot there, so not really sure. Begins with a swirling mixture of sweetness. Vanilla, Carmel and Cocoa. Then it gets a pretty dominating roasted malt flavor, but is followed by a dryness and some spice from the chilies I think, but more of a dry chili powder than juicy pepper.

Feels great drinking, super smooth, perfect low medium carbonation that coats the mouth and has very little heat from the 11.5%. Keep going back for more.

Overall I think I was expecting more but I was far from disappointed. Great looking and great feeling, but just good on the important points to me. I am very happy I got to try it as it is unlike anything I have had before, but might be a one and done type of thing for me

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

500TH REVIEW

750mL bottled poured into large snifter - big thanks to BastionShaw for this one

Pours a thick, dark blackness with some graham cracker brown head which bubbles up around the glass. Decent retention with clusters of film and patchy lacing on the glass.

Explosive, complex nose with rich dark chocolate and slight bitterness. Notes of vanilla with syrupy caramel and cinnamon spice. Hints of alcohol and chile heat, but not overbearing. Wow, I can't wait to drink this.

Thick, syrupy chocolate with truffle oil and faint bitterness. Roasted malts with caramel and chocolate cake, layered with vanilla and cinnamon tones. Complex throughout, with each sip I can taste the cocoa and vanilla, while the chiles stay under control. Slight heat after swallowing, which keeps you thinking about the beer, and well masked alcohol in the finish.

Full bodied, decent carbonation, silky smooth and creamy on the tongue. Once again, wow - this might be the best non-barrel aged stout I've ever had. Truly remarkable and worth the effort it takes to track one down.

Received today in a trade with mikesgroove. Thanks Mike you are a very generous man!

Poured into my DFH Signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with no light able to penetrate at any point. Thick dark brown one half finger head that recedes to a lacing relatively quickly. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very complex, even when still cold. I smell a lot of bitter chocolate up front followed with a dose of vanilla. Good amount of sweetness from the vanilla. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Taste: Everything comes through here! This is simply amazing. Chocolate and vanilla just punch your tongue. Its amazing how much these flavors come out in this beer! At the end of the sip I taste the little twang from the chili peppers. Cinnamon flavor does not particularaly stand out to me. The beer is not overly sweet but the base seems like a great stout as well.

Mouthfeel: The best part of the beer! So thick and motor oil like. Great heavy body but still some nice carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle of the 2010 vintage shared with steepH20 while watching the Mavs smack down the Heat. Oh, sweet, sweet justice.

Evil black sludge with a rich cinnamon head that rises and fades likes the summer sun. A nice looking beer. A slick coating lays waste to the snifter sip after sip.

For a year old bottle, this shines brightly with the adjuncts on display: cinammon, chiles, and dark chocolate. Unlike any stout I've had.

Rich baker's chocolate and bitters segues into cinammon and spice from the chiles. Full, thick, and hot. Alcohol peppery heat from the chiles and high abv make for a big drinking stout. As individual flavors, this shows its uniqueness. As a some of its parts, it doesn't really shine in its cohesiveness.

Low carbonation and heavy, thick mouthfeel makes this a long, slow sipper.

I appreciate the uniqueness of this beer and am thankful for the opportunity. While a nice experience, I'm not sure that this should demand the pull this beer seems to require.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks Schwaeh for sharing this bottle with me -

Poured from 750ml botlle into pint goblet -
2011 bottle.

A: Poured as dark as Alister Crowleys soul,One finger head that decended into a thick thin coffee colored lacing,good carbonation.

S: Slight chocholate,vanilla,coffee,deep roasted malt.

T: The flavors tommohawked my tounge with strong bitter coffee,deep rich chocolates,slight vanilla hints,slight spice from the chile's,cinnamon hints as well.

O: Overall I'm blown away by this stout, the flavors are complex yet they meld together perfectly, the chile's leave a slight burn on the back of the throat, however they don't dominate any aspect of the stout,very well made ,great balance.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle from daknole shared by alexsdad06. Poured a reddish black color with an average frothy brown head that mostly lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy roasted coffee, chocolate and spice aroma. Medium to heavy toasted chocolate malt flavor with a heavy dark bittersweet and small pepper bite finish of moderate to long duration. Full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. This is another standout beer.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

750ml bottle from 2011

A: This beer has one of the better heads you will get out of an imperial stout; I was worried after hearing so much about the base beer being flatter than hand soap. Poured ever so black into a goblet style glass with an impressive 1/2" mocha head.

S: The smell is where you first know this isn't some run-of-the-mill double stout. There is the typical bitter coffee and dark chocolates but right away you know this is spiced up. I'm sure the chilies stood out more when fresh but they were present in the background, standing behind the vanilla sweetness and brown sugar/cinnamon spice.

T: This really stands alone. I sort of feel that cigar city teamed up with Hershey;s and a seasoning company to make this guy. There is a dominating coffee character which I didn't expect in this beer. Ok, maybe not dominant, just the first big flavor in the party. Next you get the richness and creaminess that the vanilla and cacao nibs bring to the beer. The finish is where you notice Hunahpu's spiciness, which is apparent on the back of your tongue after each taste; Its nothing distracting but enough to give the beer character and set it apart. Alcohol is hidden very well in this big stout.

M: Thick, creamy, and coating. The carbonation was huge for the style.

O: I'm very pleased that I decided to seek out a few bottles of this. Huna is a great way for a brewery to make something different and memorable without throwing it in a bourbon barrel.

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a Cigar City Snifter. Classy.

Appearance - As black as they come. Not even a hint of brown in the stream of the pour as it comes out of the bottle. It foams up nicely as I pour it with a dark brown head. The only thing that's missing is lacing, which is minimal.

Smell - Unbelievable aroma. Deep dark chocolate. The friend I split it with said it smells like "really expensive chocolate." Roasty aromas abound with the chocolate and a slight burning in the nose from the alcohol and peppers. Delightful.

Taste - An immediate hop bitterness that fades immediately to a strong flavor of dark chocolate. The pepper flavor burns the taste buds just slightly throughout the entire drink, never allowing the sweetness to overwhelm. In the middle are the dark roasted malt flavors, followed by a finish that wants to be sweet, but can't overcome a hop bitterness and peppery bite.

Mouthfeel - Ok, I like my stouts heavy and chewy, but this is ridiculous. I've split a bottle of Hunahpu two ways once before and it was too much. This time I split it three ways and it seems that I'll make it through the glass. It's the heaviest beer I've ever had. Pretty high in carbonation considering the ABV and weight of the beer. Gives it a good tingle that complements the peppers nicely.

Overall - Outstanding stout. The flavors are perfectly balanced, complex, and like no other stout I've had. The pepper addition is the pièce de résistance that elevates this beyond just a good stout. I will be back next year for the 2012 Hunahpu.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Tastes are intense chili peppers, heat/booze, dark chocolate, European spice, vanilla, bourbon, charred oak, cinnamon, roasted barley, malt, hops, ginger, Mexican street food, Hershey's chocolate milk shake, tobacco and smoke. Really intriguing! OMG!!!

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Big thank you to CaptinRedBeard for this one. Shared with some friends and tasted along side the base brew (Marshal Zhukov.)

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears deep black in color with more than a finger of very dark brown mocha froth head. The cap holds very well at a finger's strength and as it slowly recedes leaves patches of lace on the glass. When held to the light, there is no light passing through, this is one dark beer. Small fingers of lace dangle down the side of the glass along with faint spotty lace. Once the cap finally dissolves, a quick swirl revives it.

The smell of this brew is tangy with a combination of alcohol and citrus hops. The citrus component is accented by a fruity citrus to earthy element of the chili inclusion. Deep earthy nose on this has subtle notes of tobacco leaves, leather and chocolate. The chocolate smell is very cocoa batter-like with a small vanilla inclusion providing a sweet scent that gains strength in it's presence as the brew warms.

The taste is tangy with alcohol. Bold bitterness with a flavor of roasty chocolate is right upfront with a roasted quality that merges to almost char-like quality. The tangy alcohol melds with a citrus and earthy flavor from the chili addition. The citrus/earthy flavor provides a pleasant boost of flavor and depth of complexity. The alcohol coupled with the heat of the chili creates a lasting tingle of heat in the back of the mouth and down the throat. As the brew warms, the vanilla comes out with a bit more sweetness that highlights the chocolate malt flavors. There is a very faint taste of cinnamon spice included that I didn't pick up on until after I took a few sips and started to talk. It's interesting how some flavors are hidden except in vapor form. The aftertaste is spicy with earthy flavors coupled with roasty grain. Excellent.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest to light level of carbonation. Excessively enjoyable, I would love to be able to drink this regularly. Well rounded as a stout in every aspect with lots of complexity. Perfectly incorporated abv throughout. I generally am not a huge fan of beers that have hot pepper inclusions. This one however is executed perfectly. One of my favorite beers of all time, love it.

3.84/5  rDev -14.9%

Thanks to Bowman2001 for this bottle. Poured into a Darkness snifter. 2011 vintage.

A- Poured straight down the middle into the glass. Looks to be very heavy liquid coming out of the bottle. Body is the color of Darth Vader's helmet, and a big beautiful brown head sits atop the beer. One of the darkest brown heads that I've seen on an imperial stout. Eventually the head fades to a nice brown ring.

S- Initial smell was identical to black olives. That's what I got for the first 30 seconds or so out of the bottle but as the beer warmed the usual suspects come out. Definite strong chocolate and roasted malt presence. Faint spiciness is noticeable within the maltiness of the nose.

T- Outstanding heavy dose of chocolate. I can definitely taste all of the ingredients that the label lists. The chile peppers especially contribute a unique flavor throughout each sip but especially on the finish.

M- Very smooth. Do not taste the 11.5% ABV at all. Extra points for the subtle spicy feeling on the back end. I wish I had another one of these to drink when its 10 below outside. Initial chocolate surge is balanced nicely by the rest of the beer.

O- This beer is delicious. I've tried many imperial stouts but this is the only one brewed with chile peppers I've had. Hope to have it again someday.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing