Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 771 | Ratings: 3,992
4.62/5  rDev +2.4%

Well this is a tough customer to come by in my neck of the woods. 2010 bottle

A: Poured from bottle into 2 Speiglau beer Tulips. Pours a nice dark , dark brown almost black with a really small head in a dark rust color.The head did fade but left lacing everywhere.

S: Wow, there is a lot going on here. Malt, chocolate, espresso , vanilla and cinnamon. I was in for a treat.

T: This is what I am talking about. A balanced flavor that had you disect it as you went . Hits with a nice espresso taste and then all of the other flavors came to the party, a nice vanilla note , cinnamon (It sounds odd but really captivated you and made you process it more) . A bare hint of the chili peppers but was hidden nicely in the back ground. made you smile. This is an exceptional IRS!!! Swirling this in the glass woke the head up again and brought more of the flavors out

M: Low carbonation , does not feel heavy solid medium body

O: This ranks for me in the top of what I have been exposed to. Just a blossom of flavors that form a truly exceptional Imperial Russian Stout. hats off to the brewers on this one an exceptional balance of flavors that would make even the biggest beer snob smile and be left wanting more.

M:

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

On draft at CCB during the 2011 release.

Pitch black, literally just like motor oil. The head is a dark tan and it fades to a ring around the glass/ swirl in the middle. The nose is mainly of dark chocolate and espressso type coffee. Taste is big on roasted/burnt malts, coffee, and dark chocolate as expected. Mild chilli peppers and a vanilla flavor on the finish. Thick and full bodied. Carbonation fades toward the end. This is a huge beer to say least. Lots going on but it comes together nicely in my opinion. Worth searching.

4.66/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Very dark, small brown head that dissipated into some small bubbles around edges

S - Chocolate mostly, slight cinnamon.

T - Initially a lot of chocolate, as I drank more I got a ton of the chillies and a good amount of cinnamon. Couldn't really pick up on the vanilla, it was overpowered by everything else.

M - Very thick, coats your mouth.

O - Amazing, wish I had another to age for a bit. I will definitely seek this one out again.

3.92/5  rDev -13.1%

682nd Review on BA
Bottle to Flute
750 ML

App- A nearly black stout with a thin capped head. A little bit of cling, little bit of webbing.

Smell- This smelled absoutely amazing in the glass. A lot of aromatics, malty, spicy, sweet, oaky, vanilla. Just WOW!

Taste- Really drops off on the taste. Im sensitive to vanilla so I pick that out, but seems a bit muddled with the spice competing with the chocolate and the vanilla. Still tasty but not as good as I thought it would be.

Mouth- Very slick and medium bodied. Same goes for the carbonation on this one.

Drink- A nice beer with a lot going on for me. Too much in fact. A good stout, but probably wont trade for this one.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Just tasted a 2010 bottle from a trade, poured into a tulip glass. Pours deep black with a wicked reddish brown head that fades quickly, but leave lacing everywhere it touched. I didn't pick up on the chile's, but the smell was otherwise dominated by dark chocolate, hints of vanilla, cinamonn, and a touch of oak. Lots going on in the smell, but the taste was more one dimensional, not bad, mind you, but not quite as complex as the aroma. It's definately up there as one of the best RIS's I've had. The alcohol is hidden well, and drinks very easily considering how thick and heavy the beer is.

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%

Pour is viscous like motor oil - thick and black with oily brown head and a body that coats the glass and hangs out anywhere it goes. The nose is dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a hint of vanilla and spice. I don't get the peppers. Good, but nothing special. Controversy in the taste. Split this with a few non-BA beer lovers - people who love a good brown ale but are rarely exposed to crazy 750mL imperial stouts. They thought it was really good, whereas I did not. Either way, the chilis hit you in the throat in a very minor fashion. They must have faded considerably looking at other reviews because I get them only as a mime for heartburn, and barely or not at all on the back of the tongue. This makes them not a particularly pleasant addition. The spices and the vanilla are mostly masked as well. The taste is dramatically like a really, really dark chocolate - but one that is not too bitter as to be overly dry. In fact, in contrast to almost everyone, I found this to be pretty one-note. It drinks kind of easy for what it is, with a big body and low carbonation. It really didn't come together for me and I kind of wish I had had it fresh.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Big thanks to jrallen34 for trading me this huge want.

Pours a deep, thick, very dark brown, with about two fingers of milk-chocolate-colored head. The head hangs around for a bit, and leaves a small amount of lacing. A very pretty beer.

If I didn't know better, I'd guess this is barrel-aged from the smell. A lot of vanilla, over the typical stout smell. I don't smell any of the chiles, possible I'm just missing them.

The taste isn't quite as good as the smell. Very sweet, sticky lips, but not overpowering. There's some mild, entirely pleasant heat from the chiles. I get the chocolate, but it seems subdued. If there's vanilla in the taste I can't get it, which is my main complaint.

It's very full in my mouth, but a bit stickier than I like. Not unpleasantly so, though.

Overall this is a very good beer, I'm so glad I got to try it.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Update from CC. The 2011 version is even better. More chocolate and vanilla with less pronounced peppers. Still get the heat, but mostly on the backend. Superb..
The description on the bottle says it all. The aroma was spicy chilies. The taste was like nothing I have had before. A great stout with undercurrents of roasted malt, chocolate, and cocoa that are dominated by vanilla and peppers. Wowzers...

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

HUGE thanks to chris for this, been looking for this for a while. It totally lived up to the hype.

A- Jet black with a decent dark tan head. Head recedes slowly but surely into a ring. Stains the fucking glass its so viscus.

S- Oh wow! Smells fucking incredible! You can smell everything in its place, the chiles, the coco, the vanilla, and of course the cinnamon gives a great complexity.

T- This beer is incredible! So much complexity, but everything is very balanced. You get everything and it all has its place and none of it is ove-rbaring at all. Truly awesome flavor.

M- For something so big and bold it goes down so easy its scary.

O- Easily one of my all time favorites, blew me away.

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

750ml capped bottle into a snifter - 2010 Vintage

A: Pours pitch black straight out of the bottle like motor oil...very thick looking. The head is one of the darkest I've seen on a beer and it fades to a ring leaving small bits of lacing.

S: The nose is full of big aromas including dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, peppers, fudge, and dark fruits. The peppers are actually more pronounced than I expected.

T: The taste is a big hit of roasted/burnt malts, coffee, and dark chocolate at first and as it progesses I can pick up the chilli peppers and a vanilla flavor on the finish. It's mainly all roast but the other flavors balance that out during the finish. It starts kind of bitter but ends sweet.

M: The beer is thick and creamy...definitely full bodied. Carbonation is actually nice for such a big beer.

O: This is one of those over the top beers that tastes good but is a bit much for one sitting. I like it but I don't think I'll search this one out again.

4.15/5  rDev -8%

Live review of a 2011 750mL bottle.
A: Opaque black with probably the darkest slow developing head I've ever seen with some lacing.
S: Boozy dark chocolate, spicy with a somewhat floral yeast character, banana and caramel, some vanilla oak character, and blackberries. Pretty good, but relatively unassuming.
T: Dark chocolate creaminess with a spicy (cinnamon) and a very mild pepper flavor (it tastes how peppers smell), while the linger is the peppers, spice, and vanilla. It almost comes off like a dark chocolate-covered chiles. The alcohol bite is noticeable and clean about halfway through. The spice builds as you sip.
M: Creamy, but thinner, with a crisp almost harsh finish (with the alcohol and heat).
O: This is probably the best use of chiles in a beer I could imagine. It's very original and almost difficult to compare to other stouts. I like it.

3.88/5  rDev -14%

2011 bottle poured into Bruery snifter

A: Thick viscous mixture that is pitch black an a bright tan head that quickly is just lacing.

S: Heavy roast malt, bitterness from cocoa nibs, a slight hint of chile and some smoke.

T: Also a very heavy roast flavor just to Marshal Zhukov style unsurprisingly. A mixture of flavors, none of them overshadowing the roasted burnt ashy malt flavors. Some of the other flavors coming in are a sweet malt backbone, definite chile presence with a tiny bit of heat even coming through. The cocoa nibs are really hard to pick out among cinnamon and chile spices but they are there adding a little bit of bitterness. Some smokey notes are there as well, literally giving this a chipotle feel to the stout.

M: Thick, just as seen in the pour and a light carbonation.

O: I can definitely enjoy it, it has some sweetness mixing in with the smoke, chile peppers, cinnamon and cocoa nibs. This is literally a kitchen sink of beers with many things added. It is good and a beer worth seeking out, but not an all time favorite stout of mine.

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

VINTAGE 2011.

Poured into a cigar city snifter glass.

Appearance: Dark black bodied beer with a dark brown head less than a one fingers head. Motor Oil yet again!

Smell: Smells of roasty coffee and dark chocolate. Mild smoke noted also.

Taste: Vanilla hits the palate with a mild sweetness, but makes its present know. The malts are of roasty coffee and become integrated with the peppers which impart a taste of smoke, spiciness and an almost meaty flavor to this beer. I really don't get much cinnamon out of this beer, it seems to be a minor player and is out done by the peppers. Bakers chocolate is found mid-taste and brings everything together. It offers a dry finish to the beer and really makes the vanilla sweetness pop. It excentuates the roasty coffee notes imparted from the malts and adds the mild zip from the peppers. What a nice complexity the beer has going here!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer with low carbonation. Motor Oil consistency.

Overall: One of the more complex Imperial Stouts that I have tried to date. Especially when you throw in the factor of this beer not being aged in a barrel. Nice balance of the many ingredients used in brewing this beer. The verdict is that I do enjoy Hunahpu more than Marshall Z after tring both of these beers tonight.

4.64/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.
2010 Vintage.

A - Pours an oily and viscous velvet black liquid with a thin but dense dark dark brown head that is about 0.25 inches. Wow. Beautiful.

S - Cocoa powder, milk chocolate sweetness, molten chocolate lava cake. Some bitter dark chocolate as well. Wow. This nose is great. Sweet sweet molasses and caramel. Woody vanilla and cinnamon are present on the nose in the back end. Nice spice to it as well. Bready sweet malt with some oat character and some fresh grain. Wow!

T & M - Oily and velvety start. Bitter dark chocolate and some peppery spice notes. Burnt wood and grain notes mixed in with some cinnamon notes. Milk chocolate sweetness comes up in the middle along with some vanilla as well as some more woody notes. There is caramel and some nice cinnamon through the middle as well. The sweetness comes up after the spice and roasted notes to balance these. The finish has that woody and spicy notes and a slight sticky bitterness lingers after. Very pure chocolaty. Delicious. Mouthfeel is pretty full. It has a nice oily character. Good CO2 and a great spicy finish as it warms.

O - Beer is delicious. Very nice offering from CCB. Chocolaty and very spicy. Reminds me a bit of the Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Hunahpu 2011 – coats the glass when you swirl it…dark as a black hole, looks great. Swirling builds a thin tan head. chocolate and spiciness…taste – spicy, but really good…coffee, roasted malts, solid flavor. Body is medium, but an easy drinker that slips down like water. overall solid RIS, easy drinker, great flavor (dark raosted malt coffees), really enjoyable.

--- EDIT --- 2011-11-24
had this again last night at a nutty tasting and i'd have to bump the taste and overall to the full monty of a 5. this is really a world class beer and the spiciness held up really well...it was drinking fantastic. gorgeous to look at, smell it all day, and the taste is just amazing. one of the more unique and outstanding beers out there in my opinion.

--- EDIT --- 2012-05-25
2012 vintage (had this not too long ago, but popped a bottle tonight to enjoy with my hunah snifter). gorgeous look of deep dark sludge with a really nice deep brown cap. smells of spicey cocoa nibs and cinnamon. taste is that wonderful medley of spicey peppers cinnamon vanilla and of course deep chocolatey cocoa nibs. there is no mistaking that this is a big beer and a monster to take on alone, but i was feeling brave and needed something kick ass and special tonight and this fit the bill for rewarding myself. cheers! the taste is unique and likely a 5, the rest of my review stands.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%

Cracked this open on July 3rd for my first anniversary celebration. Couldn't find a better reason to drink this big guy...

a: motor oil black and as thick as it when you pour it out. Beautiful creamy head with tons of dark brown bubble springing up. Nice thick brown lacing and it looks very very thick.

s: sweet and cocoa. No heat from the alcohol in the nose, but there is a rich buttery chocolate aroma pouring off the glass. Something spicy as well.

t: chocolate, rich chocolate. I am getting tons of it, more sweetness in the middle and a little spice from what I'd assume to be the chili. Not strong, but compliments the cocoa very very well. finishes bitter with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon and leaves you dry waiting for the next sip.

m: creamy and buttery. extraordinarily thick. too thick for the warm summer night that I drank it on, but in the winter what a wonderful brew this will be to try again. spreads through the mouth and stays long. very sticky sweet.

o: just wow. this beer has tons of flavor. it is truly unreal to me how they packed in this much flavor without even a touch of booze. I didn't get heat one time. the chili spice is great with the cocoa. they did a better job using it than DFH did with Theobroma. Just a wonderful beer and I cant wait til the next time.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

750Ml bottle poured into a wine glass 2011 vintage.

Pours a very dark black with a small very dark brown but thin head. Nose is chocolate, spicy and coffee.

Wow, taste is awesome the spiciness is all over the place and there is tasty chocolate flavor that's really unique with the peppers. Very surprised this is much better than other hyped stouts.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

2011 vintage. I took the bottle out of the fridge, and allowed it to warm for about 30 minutes before I poured my first sample into my tulip glass.

A: I cannot recall another beer pouring any darker than this beast. It looked exactly like used motor oil coming out of the bottle, absolutely no chance of any light making it's way through whatsoever. A normal pour yielded about a 1/2 inch very dark brown head, again one of the darkest I have ever seen. Looks very appetizing.

S: Wow, where do I even begin? Chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, cinnamon, and a hint of chiles, somewhat subdued.

T: The first sip absolutely blew me away. I honestly didn't move for about a minute, savoring and trying to comprehend all of the flavors I was experiencing. By this time, it had warmed up to the perfect temperature, and all of the flavors seemed to complement one another perfectly. Strong cocoa/chocolate flavor, with cinnamon also pronounced. The vanilla and chiles were also noticeable, but not overpowering, playing a perfect supporting role. It is so completely rich, that drinking a couple ounces took quite a while, but I enjoyed every second of it.

M: The mouthfeel on this sucker was amazing, one of the best I've ever had. Very thick, but at the same time silky smooth, almost velvety.

O: This beer is probably the best non-barrel aged imperial stout I've ever had. It's so complex that it seems no amount of description will do it justice. It's balanced perfectly, all of the different flavors seem to blend together better than I ever could have imagined.

This was my first Cigar City brew. I huge bravo to everyone involved in the creation of this beauty!

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

Big thanks to jwjon1 for this bottle. This is one I've been wanting to try for a while.

A: Poured jet black and looked like motor oil coming out of the bottle (my girlfriend was terrified), and yet it somehow still had great carbonation and a thick dark brown head.

S: Wow, this beer smells really incredible! Dark chocolate and roasted malt and some other spices that I can't quite put my finger on. I just want to smell this forever.

T: Damn, it tastes good, but I wanted it to be so much better. It's chocolatey and sweet, but I had hoped that the chilies and cinnamon would come through more in the taste. It didn't taste THAT much different than its baby brother base beer, Marshall Zhukov's. Once it warmed up a little, the chilies came through more, but I thought it could've used more of that flavor.

M: Very smooth, but the stickiness of it got to me after a while.

O: Hunahpu's is a damn good beer, but I wanted it to be amazing, and it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Maybe it's just because I'm a big fan of spicy food, but I wanted more of that flavor in the beer than just the hints it offered, because what was there was great. Still, this is a very nice, unique beer.

Edit: Opened a second bottle and it was much more what I had hoped Hunahpu's to be. The cinnamon and chilis really shined this time around and made it a fantastic beer. I'm not sure what was wrong with the first bottle I had, but the second one was considerably better - I'm upping taste and overall ratings from 4 to 4.5.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

A: This poured 100% pitch black with thick dark brown head. Maybe the darkest beer I've seen.
S: It smelled like rich dry cocoa and cinnamon and chipotle, with fresh roasted coffee and vanilla and chili powder, and a bit of toffee.
T: It tasted like rich chocolate and chili powder and chipotle, with fresh roasted coffee and cinnamon and vanilla, with a bit of molasses. It had a spicy and very dry aftertaste that was bittersweet.
M: It was crazy thick with a little carbonation. Maybe the fullest body I've had.
D: This was perhaps my favorite stout on record. I could imagine bourbon aging to make it even better, so it's maybe not perfect, but man it's close. The scent and taste are so delicious and unbelievably complex. The body is basically perfect. The bit of alcohol heat is masked by the chilies, so it's surprisingly easy to drink. This would be better fresh, I suppose, but I'm sure it would still be great after some years in the cellar. I love this beer and need more ASAP.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to BastionShaw for this beast of a bottle!

Pours a coffee brown, with the darkest head that anyone in the tasting circle had ever seen. About 1/2 a finger worth of head on my pour. Smell! I wish I could smell this beer forever. Each whiff brings a different smell be it Ovaltine, Blackened peppers, tobacco, dark dark chocolate. The smell alone is phenomenal. Onto the taste, with the first sip you get a burst of deep roasted chocolate and as you let that that linger you get a grilled pepper flavor that dances in your mouth. Every sip is different from the next. The mouthfeel is nice but not in your face. The chilies play a good role in letting the tingling sensation coat your mouth without burning your tongue. Also this beer leaves your mouth feeling dry like a tannic wine, but it works! Overall I am ecstatic I got to try this beer and would love to snag another bottle!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Dan for hooking this up. Poured into a tulip. This has a nice creamy looking tan head atop a pitch black body. There is a bit of sticky lacing.

The aroma is full of delicious chocolate (really nice bittersweet dark chocolate). There is a bit of sweetness from the malt. I get a bit of a vegetal aroma that could be the chilies or the hops; it isn't very powerful.

The taste is, like the aroma, mostly chocolatey. There is some nice support with the vanilla flavor. There is just enough sweetness to bring out the best flavors. The finish has just the slightest bit of heat from the chillies.

The mouthfeel here is really enjoyable. The body is relatively heavy, even for a stout (probably because of the adjuncts) and the carbonation leaves a nice fluffy sensation. This is a great mouthfeel.

This beer is not only unique, it's very enjoyable. I had it last year, was confused at the first sip, but at the end of my glass I loved it. I will look to have it again for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Espresso brown color with a minor to moderate amount of coffee colored head. Completely opaque. Looks very thick and viscous.

S: Cinnamon, chocolate, chili powder, and magic. I once had a "perfect" cup of hot chocolate from a gourmet eatery that tasted nearly identical to this scent.

T: Bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder, chili peppers (flavor, but not too much heat). Very good overall flavor - pretty close to the ideal non-BA stout. Black coffee seems to come out the more it warms.

M: Excellently thick. Viscous and dense, but without being oily or silky. Very good, but not perfection. Moderate overall level of carbonation with fine bubbles.

O: One of the single best imperial stouts ever made. Complexity, depth, and balance of flavors that are superb.

4.21/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle from TKEbeerman to celebrate my first fathers day pours one of the best pours I have ever seen. Seems to almost come out of the bottle lumpy. Thick, pitch black. A solid 1/2 inch of chocolate covered head develops and fights to stick around, fades to some beautiful wispy bubbles on the surface and eventually to a permanent ring. Slightly oily on the glass, not much lacing if at all.

Let this one warm up. Initially there was this boozy thing going on that dominated the nose, but once it warmed up just a bit there are all sorts of developments. A mixture of cocoa and vanilla that best remind me of rich chocolate cake. Very sweet and then something catches me in the back of my nose, the chilis or cinnamon, maybe, but it isn't defined enough for me to grab onto.

Taste was not as amazing over the top as I'd hoped for. Might have sat on it too long? as things seemed a little muddled or faded. But there is still alot there, so not really sure. Begins with a swirling mixture of sweetness. Vanilla, Carmel and Cocoa. Then it gets a pretty dominating roasted malt flavor, but is followed by a dryness and some spice from the chilies I think, but more of a dry chili powder than juicy pepper.

Feels great drinking, super smooth, perfect low medium carbonation that coats the mouth and has very little heat from the 11.5%. Keep going back for more.

Overall I think I was expecting more but I was far from disappointed. Great looking and great feeling, but just good on the important points to me. I am very happy I got to try it as it is unlike anything I have had before, but might be a one and done type of thing for me

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

500TH REVIEW

750mL bottled poured into large snifter - big thanks to BastionShaw for this one

Pours a thick, dark blackness with some graham cracker brown head which bubbles up around the glass. Decent retention with clusters of film and patchy lacing on the glass.

Explosive, complex nose with rich dark chocolate and slight bitterness. Notes of vanilla with syrupy caramel and cinnamon spice. Hints of alcohol and chile heat, but not overbearing. Wow, I can't wait to drink this.

Thick, syrupy chocolate with truffle oil and faint bitterness. Roasted malts with caramel and chocolate cake, layered with vanilla and cinnamon tones. Complex throughout, with each sip I can taste the cocoa and vanilla, while the chiles stay under control. Slight heat after swallowing, which keeps you thinking about the beer, and well masked alcohol in the finish.

Full bodied, decent carbonation, silky smooth and creamy on the tongue. Once again, wow - this might be the best non-barrel aged stout I've ever had. Truly remarkable and worth the effort it takes to track one down.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing