Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 771 | Ratings: 3,990

Received today in a trade with mikesgroove. Thanks Mike you are a very generous man!

Poured into my DFH Signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with no light able to penetrate at any point. Thick dark brown one half finger head that recedes to a lacing relatively quickly. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very complex, even when still cold. I smell a lot of bitter chocolate up front followed with a dose of vanilla. Good amount of sweetness from the vanilla. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Taste: Everything comes through here! This is simply amazing. Chocolate and vanilla just punch your tongue. Its amazing how much these flavors come out in this beer! At the end of the sip I taste the little twang from the chili peppers. Cinnamon flavor does not particularaly stand out to me. The beer is not overly sweet but the base seems like a great stout as well.

Mouthfeel: The best part of the beer! So thick and motor oil like. Great heavy body but still some nice carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle of the 2010 vintage shared with steepH20 while watching the Mavs smack down the Heat. Oh, sweet, sweet justice.

Evil black sludge with a rich cinnamon head that rises and fades likes the summer sun. A nice looking beer. A slick coating lays waste to the snifter sip after sip.

For a year old bottle, this shines brightly with the adjuncts on display: cinammon, chiles, and dark chocolate. Unlike any stout I've had.

Rich baker's chocolate and bitters segues into cinammon and spice from the chiles. Full, thick, and hot. Alcohol peppery heat from the chiles and high abv make for a big drinking stout. As individual flavors, this shows its uniqueness. As a some of its parts, it doesn't really shine in its cohesiveness.

Low carbonation and heavy, thick mouthfeel makes this a long, slow sipper.

I appreciate the uniqueness of this beer and am thankful for the opportunity. While a nice experience, I'm not sure that this should demand the pull this beer seems to require.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks Schwaeh for sharing this bottle with me -

Poured from 750ml botlle into pint goblet -
2011 bottle.

A: Poured as dark as Alister Crowleys soul,One finger head that decended into a thick thin coffee colored lacing,good carbonation.

S: Slight chocholate,vanilla,coffee,deep roasted malt.

T: The flavors tommohawked my tounge with strong bitter coffee,deep rich chocolates,slight vanilla hints,slight spice from the chile's,cinnamon hints as well.

O: Overall I'm blown away by this stout, the flavors are complex yet they meld together perfectly, the chile's leave a slight burn on the back of the throat, however they don't dominate any aspect of the stout,very well made ,great balance.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle from daknole shared by alexsdad06. Poured a reddish black color with an average frothy brown head that mostly lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy roasted coffee, chocolate and spice aroma. Medium to heavy toasted chocolate malt flavor with a heavy dark bittersweet and small pepper bite finish of moderate to long duration. Full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. This is another standout beer.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

750ml bottle from 2011

A: This beer has one of the better heads you will get out of an imperial stout; I was worried after hearing so much about the base beer being flatter than hand soap. Poured ever so black into a goblet style glass with an impressive 1/2" mocha head.

S: The smell is where you first know this isn't some run-of-the-mill double stout. There is the typical bitter coffee and dark chocolates but right away you know this is spiced up. I'm sure the chilies stood out more when fresh but they were present in the background, standing behind the vanilla sweetness and brown sugar/cinnamon spice.

T: This really stands alone. I sort of feel that cigar city teamed up with Hershey;s and a seasoning company to make this guy. There is a dominating coffee character which I didn't expect in this beer. Ok, maybe not dominant, just the first big flavor in the party. Next you get the richness and creaminess that the vanilla and cacao nibs bring to the beer. The finish is where you notice Hunahpu's spiciness, which is apparent on the back of your tongue after each taste; Its nothing distracting but enough to give the beer character and set it apart. Alcohol is hidden very well in this big stout.

M: Thick, creamy, and coating. The carbonation was huge for the style.

O: I'm very pleased that I decided to seek out a few bottles of this. Huna is a great way for a brewery to make something different and memorable without throwing it in a bourbon barrel.

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a Cigar City Snifter. Classy.

Appearance - As black as they come. Not even a hint of brown in the stream of the pour as it comes out of the bottle. It foams up nicely as I pour it with a dark brown head. The only thing that's missing is lacing, which is minimal.

Smell - Unbelievable aroma. Deep dark chocolate. The friend I split it with said it smells like "really expensive chocolate." Roasty aromas abound with the chocolate and a slight burning in the nose from the alcohol and peppers. Delightful.

Taste - An immediate hop bitterness that fades immediately to a strong flavor of dark chocolate. The pepper flavor burns the taste buds just slightly throughout the entire drink, never allowing the sweetness to overwhelm. In the middle are the dark roasted malt flavors, followed by a finish that wants to be sweet, but can't overcome a hop bitterness and peppery bite.

Mouthfeel - Ok, I like my stouts heavy and chewy, but this is ridiculous. I've split a bottle of Hunahpu two ways once before and it was too much. This time I split it three ways and it seems that I'll make it through the glass. It's the heaviest beer I've ever had. Pretty high in carbonation considering the ABV and weight of the beer. Gives it a good tingle that complements the peppers nicely.

Overall - Outstanding stout. The flavors are perfectly balanced, complex, and like no other stout I've had. The pepper addition is the pièce de résistance that elevates this beyond just a good stout. I will be back next year for the 2012 Hunahpu.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Tastes are intense chili peppers, heat/booze, dark chocolate, European spice, vanilla, bourbon, charred oak, cinnamon, roasted barley, malt, hops, ginger, Mexican street food, Hershey's chocolate milk shake, tobacco and smoke. Really intriguing! OMG!!!

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Big thank you to CaptinRedBeard for this one. Shared with some friends and tasted along side the base brew (Marshal Zhukov.)

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears deep black in color with more than a finger of very dark brown mocha froth head. The cap holds very well at a finger's strength and as it slowly recedes leaves patches of lace on the glass. When held to the light, there is no light passing through, this is one dark beer. Small fingers of lace dangle down the side of the glass along with faint spotty lace. Once the cap finally dissolves, a quick swirl revives it.

The smell of this brew is tangy with a combination of alcohol and citrus hops. The citrus component is accented by a fruity citrus to earthy element of the chili inclusion. Deep earthy nose on this has subtle notes of tobacco leaves, leather and chocolate. The chocolate smell is very cocoa batter-like with a small vanilla inclusion providing a sweet scent that gains strength in it's presence as the brew warms.

The taste is tangy with alcohol. Bold bitterness with a flavor of roasty chocolate is right upfront with a roasted quality that merges to almost char-like quality. The tangy alcohol melds with a citrus and earthy flavor from the chili addition. The citrus/earthy flavor provides a pleasant boost of flavor and depth of complexity. The alcohol coupled with the heat of the chili creates a lasting tingle of heat in the back of the mouth and down the throat. As the brew warms, the vanilla comes out with a bit more sweetness that highlights the chocolate malt flavors. There is a very faint taste of cinnamon spice included that I didn't pick up on until after I took a few sips and started to talk. It's interesting how some flavors are hidden except in vapor form. The aftertaste is spicy with earthy flavors coupled with roasty grain. Excellent.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest to light level of carbonation. Excessively enjoyable, I would love to be able to drink this regularly. Well rounded as a stout in every aspect with lots of complexity. Perfectly incorporated abv throughout. I generally am not a huge fan of beers that have hot pepper inclusions. This one however is executed perfectly. One of my favorite beers of all time, love it.

3.84/5  rDev -14.9%

Thanks to Bowman2001 for this bottle. Poured into a Darkness snifter. 2011 vintage.

A- Poured straight down the middle into the glass. Looks to be very heavy liquid coming out of the bottle. Body is the color of Darth Vader's helmet, and a big beautiful brown head sits atop the beer. One of the darkest brown heads that I've seen on an imperial stout. Eventually the head fades to a nice brown ring.

S- Initial smell was identical to black olives. That's what I got for the first 30 seconds or so out of the bottle but as the beer warmed the usual suspects come out. Definite strong chocolate and roasted malt presence. Faint spiciness is noticeable within the maltiness of the nose.

T- Outstanding heavy dose of chocolate. I can definitely taste all of the ingredients that the label lists. The chile peppers especially contribute a unique flavor throughout each sip but especially on the finish.

M- Very smooth. Do not taste the 11.5% ABV at all. Extra points for the subtle spicy feeling on the back end. I wish I had another one of these to drink when its 10 below outside. Initial chocolate surge is balanced nicely by the rest of the beer.

O- This beer is delicious. I've tried many imperial stouts but this is the only one brewed with chile peppers I've had. Hope to have it again someday.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Decided to finally review this one after having it quite a few times. Had a few bottles of 2010 and had it on draft at 2011 Hunahpu's release. 2011 Bottle opened on 6/3/11

Appearance: Very dark with a nice tan head that lasts for a good amount of time.

Smell: Great smell, can pick up combination of coffee, vanilla and some great scents of cinammon and chili

Taste: I Picked up some coffee and chocolate with a blend of the chili flavors. Very well put together flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: I like the thickness and creaminess of this one and just the right amount of carbonation

Overall: I really enjoy this one, big stouts tend to be my favorites and this one does not dissapoint at all. One of my favorite overall beers

2.78/5  rDev -38.4%

25.4oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Deep Chocolatey brown with a deep brown head consisting of large bubbles.

S - Chocolate, chiles, and some coffee.

T - Strong Chiles, Chocolate, and Tobacco- like a old wet, used up cigar.

D - Mild Carbonation, oily in the mouth.

O - I was really looking forward to this one, but I was dissapointed. The ingredients are clearly present, but not in an appealing way. The wet tobacco flavor was just too much for me. The chile flavor was also present, but it didn't seem to fit.

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from 750ml bottle. 2011 vintage. Thanks for the bottle JoshVandy!

A- Pours a deep black color that looks like motor oil but not quite there. One and a half finger light brown head shows good retention. Nice thick streaks of lace on the sides of the glass while drinking this one down.

S- Coffee like front of thr aroma. It comes in strong but is blended in together with a lighter semi-sweet chocolate. By the end of the front of the nose the chocolate really dominates with hints of chile to add a little spice to it. Middle of the beer showcases the there is also a chile notes quite well with vanilla backing it up and small hints of barrel notes to it. Maybe a hint of darker fruit in the backend but the chile covers it up fast along with hitns of cinnamon. Chocolate seems to be the ending aroma with there being no alcohol at all in the ending. I mean there is no alcohol noticed at all.

T- Lots of semi-sweet chocolate dominate the front of the beer with a ever so light cinnamon flavor that adds a little more depth to the beer to start off with. The chocoalte flavor slowly turns into coffee like roast by the middle and this in turn blends together very nicely with vanilla and a hint of barrel. The chile comes through for the first time in the middle of the beer giving off a little heat. Chocoalte malts make another appearance in the backend with chile peppers making a bigger flavor. The chile flavor washes out with chocoalte in the final ending with a hint of vanilla. Very light alcohol finish in the beer makes it almost not noticable.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little light I thought for the overall beer. Chile, chocoalte, hints of vanilla are left on the palate. Aftertaste is a hint of alcohol, chile, vanilla, and loads of semi-sweet chocolate. The flavors of this beer glide from one to another effortlessly. A very well balanced and well flavored beer overall. No off flavors at all with maybe the chocoalte getting a little cloying if drinking a whole bottle of this I would think. No alcohol drying to speak of when drinking this beer but there is a nice chile heat added to the backend of the beer.

O- This beer I thought was fantastic. The flavors blended so well together in the beer that I couldn't stop drinking it. A overall wonderful beer that I would love to have again. No alcohol heat or flavor makes this one a dangerous drinker which is my only negative aspect of this beer. A nice Cigar City beer like all the rest I have had from them.

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into tulip glass. In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. The base recipe is Marshal Zhukov Imperial Stout. It is aged on pasilla and ancho peppers as well as vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa nibs. Pours a pitch black body with a half thick, dense and creamy, very dark brown head that leaves nice lacing throughout. Aroma has lots of vanilla coffee, roast, some really pronounced cocoa and nips, hops, and spices. Some vanilla, chile peppers, and caramel. Flavor is similar and very rich. Lots of chocolate and cocoa nibs, caramel, vanilla, roasts, and coffee. Some light chiles, smoke, dark fruits, wood, and cinnamon spice. Finishes very rich, but fairly bitter from the hops, roasts, and cocoa nibs. Slowly dries with some vanilla, earth, and plenty of chocolate in a lengthy, rich aftertaste. Thick and sticky, yet smooth body with a soft, light carbonation. There was some light lingering heat in the finish. Overall, a really nice Imperial Stout that I went great lengths to acquire. Lots of rich flavors, very roasty, well hopped, and definitely has some pretty cool vanilla-chile things going on. Good one.

Review taken from most recent batch.

2011 batch - 5.0

Thanks to black13 for sharing some of this at a recent tasting. Also thanks to urwithdave and coastiesimon for hooking me up with bottles of this. 750ml bottle split into a pair of Portsmouth snifters and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Black sludge pouring into my glass. After the heavy pour, it's as black as they come with a big light brown (not dark tan) head. Top notch lacing. One of the sexiest looking stouts I've ever seen. 5/5

S: Like sniffing an open bottle of vanilla extract. Banana Cream pie but not in a Belgian yeast sense. A dessert in a glass is what I'm now expecting. 5/5

T: Load's of vanilla, cookie crumbs, and decadent chocolate fudge heavy on the milk fat. It should be noted that I can't discern the chiles at all. A diabetic coma waiting to happen in a death by sweets kind of way. There's a place for that kind of beer, and tonight it's in my glass! 5/5

M: Huge full body that comes off thick and chewy. Despite the massive head, the carbonation is kept to a minimum and this stays smooth and silky. 5/5

O: A beer I will trade for every year. I've never had the barrel aged version of this beer, but I am hard pressed to believe this can get any better. As far as non-barrel aged stouts go, this is as elite as it gets. I've never given a perfect five for a big stout... Until now. The 2010 batch was superb. I don't know how, but this is better. One of those beers that simply doesn't need to be aged. Get it, and drink it, NOW! 5/5

2010 Batch - 4.47

Thanks to Arbitrator for sharing a bottle of this at a tasting the first time I had it. I knew that I absolutely HAD to secure a bottle of my own after sipping on a couple ounces. That way, my wife and I could sit down with a snifter each and truly appreciate this beast. That is exactly what we are doing at the moment!

Viscous motor oil liquid on the pour, this stuff literally "glug-glugs" into our matching pair of Portsmouth snifters. Side note - I need to get my oil changed in my car. Even the head on this is as dark as I've ever seen. My wife referred to the head as "chocolate mousse" in appearance. I wish I could be original and come up with my own descriptor, but that really is a perfect mental image. I do want to comment that there appears to be a touch of red highlights to the head. Black as pitch, thick as used motor oil, and the darkest head I've ever seen spells perfect score on appearance in my book.

Raw cocoa on the nose is accompanied by the vanilla bean. The big coffee that can usually be found on big stouts is missing here. Maybe a little chili is there as well, but that might just be power of suggestion. Also missing is any whiff of alcohol. Try as I may to find the ETOH, I simply can't do it.

Wow! There is a TON going on taste wise. Chocolate doesn't get any more bitter than this. Strong nuances of vanilla, spicy chili pepper, and what seems to be a bit of lactose culture show up in a supporting role. It should be mentioned that the chili isn't tasted as much as its felt. The back of the tongue and soft palate feel the warmth on the finish. Unique and delicious.

Ramnuts hosted the tasting where I tried this the first time. In his own words..."I can feel it coating my tongue!" Well said Frank. I can't say it any better myself.

This is a big beer that needs to be savored. That said, I did not feel as if my 12+ ounce pour was over-bearing or heavy. I possibly could have had another, but the one was enough. A simply fantastic big stout that might just have no equal. It would be an absolute travesty if this never gets brewed again. One can only hope that this will be a regular release. If it is bottled next year let me be the first...ISO: Hunahpus '10.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

750 ml brown bottle. 2011 Edition. This beer pours a super thick bad @ss used motor oil black. The ever expanding head is tan in color but is also black. I don't know if I've ever seen a head this dark in color. The aroma has some dark fruits, nice spice coming out , vanilla, and spicy pepper. It also has a big bready quality.

The taste at first is like a chocolate milkshake. A lot of roasted flavors coming in with some spice and spicy flavors. All its parts seem to work together perfectly while not being over the top. The palate is rich and creamy.

I still can't believe how much this tastes like a chocolate milkshake. It really reminds me of the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3 and if anyone has tried that then you'll now what I'm talking about. A huge world class Imperial Stout.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Many thanks to alleykatking for sharing some of the 2011 version. Thanks again for this treat.

A- Pours a motor oil black with the scantiest deep mocha brown head. Wisps of the head remained for a minute or two. No lacing on the glass as to be expected.

S- It was like waking up and having some flavored coffee. Even before I brought it to my nose, whiffs of chocolate and hazelnut came through. The primary smell however was the coffee.

T- Follows up on the nose quite well. Powerful coffee at the end with hints of sweet chocolate at the beginning. The coffee has some vanilla and cinnamon/hazelnut characters that are more minimal than the coffee and chocolate.

M- Thick viscous body with good carbonation. There was some slight burn at the back end. It wasn't an alcohol burn because the alcohol wasn't noticeable.

O- An extremely tasty brew that I would gladly seek out again. I am glad I had a smaller pour (5oz) because it was so rich that I would have had a hard time finishing much more. Very tasty and well worth the hype. Possibly my favorite RIS.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Vintage 2010
Poured from a 750ml bottle into my lost abbey stemware glass.

A - This pours out about as thick and black as I've ever seen. A thick 2 plus finger dark mocha head forms and slowly settles into a
layer of mocha foam and lots of lacing.

S - This smells interesting, a subtle smokiness, cocoa, vanilla, roasted malts, and spicy chiles. Smells of a stout.

T - Taste is similar to the nose. Starts with a bit a sweet chocolaty goodness, into a bitter roasted malt/coffee backed by some vanilla and cinnamon notes, and finishes with a touch of spicy chiles.

M - This feels medium bodied but really creamy and smooth, slightly hot from the chiles. Carbonation is perfect which compliments the beer nicely.

D - A sipper for sure. This is a heavy stout with many different layers.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Review #4

Received this bottle from Chairmissing and I can't thank him enough!

A: The darkest, thickest beer I've seen to date. Decent carbonation.

S: Coffee, chocolate and vanilla.

T: Let me start by saying I came into this beer very skeptical. I never believe the hype behind beers but this left me speechless. I let the bottle sit for about 20 minutes after taking out of the fridge, poured into a snifter. The first taste was strong chocolate and alcohol with a interesting aftertaste. As it warmed the cinnamon and chili became quite apparent. The strong chocolate hits first then some malt and to finish it off the chili hits the back of the tongue simply amzing and this is now the most complex beer I've ever had.

O: Can't describe how much I love this beer. There is no way I will miss the release next year. I wouldn't trade away the cellar to try it but if you have a friend near the brewery or someone offering you a bottle for a decent trade definitely do it.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Pours jet black with a thick viscous brown head that lingers throughout the glass. One of the most beautiful things i have ever seen come out of a bottle

S: Strong notes of chocolate, with some heat and smokiness from the chilli's. Stronger hints of cinnamon emerge as the beer warms.

T: Upfront has strong hints of roast malt and chocolate. A strong warming sensation is felt from the chilli's. Finishes with notes of vanilla and dark fruit.

M: Thick and smooth. Leaves a burn on the your tongue and lips from the heat in the chilli's.

O: A very interesting interpretation of the style. All the ingredients use mesh well together creating a new surprise, with each sip bring something new to the table. Well done!

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Tried a 2011 bottle on May 15 with two of my friends on our "Epic Beer Tasting Day". The line-up consisted of 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, , 2011 Hanahpu, 2011 KBS, 2010 Abyss.

Appearance - This badboy looks jet black and like everyone said pours like used motor oil with a small dark chocolate head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - The smell of coffee almost feels as if it soccer kicks you in the face with subtle hints of dark chocolate and vanilla bean. I did not smell any traces of any kind of chili peppers though.

Taste - Starts with smooth dark chocolate and coffee taste, followed by a hint of the vanilla beans. Again no trace of any chili peppers.

Mouthfeel - It was very nice and smooth. A very thick stout with little carbonation.

Overall - I enjoyed this and can't wait for my next adventure with it. I can't get this beer out of my head. I'm looking under the door mats like a crackhead for this beer.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this as part of our Blind Epic Beer Tasting Event and it took 3rd place overall but it was a toss up between Rare BCS. List included 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, 2011 KBS, 2011 Hanahpu, 2010 Abyss.

A- Let me start of by saying this Bad Boy is THICK but not in a bad way. Pours like dark soy sauce/motor oil. Left a very nice coating on the glass when swirled.

S- BIG espresso dominated the smell. Hints of chocolate malt, dried fruit, as well as wet barrel. Smells fantastic.

T- Taste was exceptional and got better as it warmed up. You can really taste the Cocao and when you least expect it, BAM...the Vanilla hits you in the end. I really enjoyed this brew. Alcohol was undetectable and very well hidden.

M- Mouthfeel is THICK and coates the palate nicely. Light carbonation.

O- Overall, this is one of the best beers that I've tasted. The taste of this beer becomes more complex and changes as it warms up but in a good way. Can't wait to get ahold of another bottle to cellar and enjoy this experience again.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl.oz. bottle
2010 vintage
Served in a snifter
Acquired in a trade with Gonzoillini

Never before have I seen a beer pour so dark and thick. It literally looked like used motor oil. The liquid was so viscous that it left a sticky yellow film on the glass. A thin, short lived wisp of mahogany colored froth capped the beer.

The aroma was fantastic. Super intense with strong raisin and port notes. Some bourbon too. Semi-sweet and moderately boozy. Brown sugar also came through strong. Lots of oak and char as well.

The flavor profile was just as extreme as the aroma. Super roasty with a huge malt profile up front. Port wine notes and a strong raisiny quality were also apparent. Moch-like flavors were quite prevalent. Some brown sugar too, and a bit of vanilla. The finish contained notes of smoke and a touch of earthy hops. The hops turned more citrusy and bitter as the beer warmed. There was also an indication of heat in the flavor profile, but I could not tell if this was from the cinnamon, the ancho chiles or the booze.

The mouthfeel was simply outstanding. Outrageously thick, creamy and viscous with a finely bubbled, moderate effervescence. I felt like I was drinking a milkshake. This was by far the most robust body I have ever encountered in a beer.

Hunaphu's is a fantastic beer that really pushes the limits of what a beer can be. My only complaint is that the cacao nibs, the chiles, the cinnamon and the vanilla were barely (or in some cases, not at all) detectible. Perhaps I need to sample a fresh bottle to discover all these nuances.

4.36/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to BigBlacke for getting this one for me!

A-rich dark brown with a thick dark brown head that thins. i've personally never seen a head the dark before!

S-smells like thick dark chocolate syrup. there is definitely a little spice in there. smells very earthy. its not a strong scent, though i notice as i let the glass warm, it starts to become more aromatic. i'm even starting to smell some of the vanilla.

T-first of all..this is a long experience with multiple levels. comes in with good thick cocoa beans (sometimes i get some cinnamon). it then transforms in to a fairly hefty bitterness followed by a taste of dark cocoa. the cocoa bean flavor lasts in to a long lasting after-taste and it is eventually paired by a chile spiciness. i really like this spiciness. it adds something to this stout that is rarely seen in big beers. this is definitely a good and complex stout.

M-very thick with a medium to low carbonation and a dry finish

O-overall, this is one of the best stouts i've had. i feel like it'd be a lot better with out the bitterness, but i do know that there are a lot of people out there that value that. i know its brewed with cinnamon and vanilla, but i'm having a hard time finding it, they're probably meddled in with all of the other intense flavors going on. truth be told, i'm going to be very sad when this bottle is empty. this is a world class stout.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

750 mL bottle of 2011 batch shared with two others

A - Pours pitch black with half a finger of the darkest head EVER. Dark dark dark brown head with average retention and nice lacing. Never seen anything quite like it.

S - Vanilla, chocolate, considerable coffee bitterness. Even a little fig. The chile comes into play, as does the cinnamon. No booze to speak of, which is incredibly impressive.

T - I'm not worthy! This is insane. Vanilla and chocolate in droves. The chiles add this amazing je ne sais quoi that really rounds out and perfects the beer. Cinnamon is there to bring it all together and round things out. A touch of chile heat at the end to cap it off. Chocolate dominates the finish. I can hardly believe how good it is. The first time I've given a 5 in taste, and deservedly so.

M - Smooth, creamy, thick, and just right. A touch of heat at the end, from the chiles, which really enhances everything.

O - This is it. I never expected it to be this good, but this beer is just about perfect. A revelation, in many respects. Nothing is really close. Perfect use of the chile and the vanilla. Truly, this beer is unmatched.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

thanks to jason aka redbird for this sample

from android notes at DLD

vintage 2011

the pour was deep dark brown. not quite black but cose. very thick and viscous. deep creamy head. crazy lacing left over from the actual body as the sun hit the glass.

tons of spice and chocolate. hints of chocolate milk. bits of vanilla and roasted malt.

lots of deep chocolate and cinnamon. light vanilla and slight roast. very faint chili. i was expecting the chili factor to be stronger but it was rather subtle and really blended in well. a bit sweet.

very thick and chewy with a very moderate carbonation. really just coated the mouth with its thickness.

pretty amazing all around. my only complaint was the cinnamon aspect was very strong and dominating. but an outstanding stout. booze was hidden well.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing