Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 763 | Ratings: 3,920
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

2014 release. Black with mocha head poured into a CCB snifter. My Volvo's engine would run on this motor oil. Beautiful looking stout. Nose is full of cinnamon, chiles, and chocolate; a trifecta of deliciousness.

The taste follows and has a full-blown blast of roasted malt as an end note. Coupled with the chiles, the roasted flavor along with the chocolate lets off a hint of smoke. Feel is very nice and smooth. Maybe a hint of earthy hops in the finish that go along with the general smoke and earth of the malt flavors. A bit of sweetness lingers in the finishes and rubs up and kisses the vanilla a bit. For a brief second, I get a vinous vibe.

I had the 2011 version a few years ago and the 2014 delivers the same. This beer is a monster in the best way possible; a whale of a beer that actually carries the weight of its hype.

I had the chance to go to Hunahpu Day a few times before it really blew up and once I had a taste, I totally regret not going when I had the chance. Totally deserving of the reputation it has, Hunahpu is big, smash-your-face-in, complex, multi-faceted, and an American beer legend. Only ding is that it's way too limited and too limited to get your hands on it. Cigar City has gotten so popular that I can't even buy Marshal Zhukov like I used to, but them's the breaks. Great beer that is worth trying if you ever get the chance.

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I, shockingly, had never had regular Huna until Father's Day evening. I was fortunate enough to taste DB Huna and Cali Brandy Huna during tastings. Both of those were orgasmic, the regular was a very different beer to me. The 2015 bottle I enjoyed was less spicy than its BA brothers, but just as good. The one criticism I had was the spice wasn't forward enough, I tasted very strong chocolate up front with a light pepper kick at the end. Enjoyed out of a snifter at 45 degrees over the course of an hour and a half.

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

2014 bottle, makeup batch- thick pour, good nose, slight cinnamon and spicyness from the chillis. Still complex delivering layers of flavor with some vanilla and chilli with cinnamon in the background. Almost more drinkable than when fresh. Outstanding a little after a year in the bottle. Tempted to open another.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jet black, heavy handed pour yielded almost 2 finger beautiful mocha head. Leaves a nice oily residue when swirled. A bit on the cold side, but maybe a faint metallic whiff mixed in with cinnamon and cocoa. Chocolate and cinnamon dominate the flavor. Maybe a slight prickle from the pepper, but not hot by any means. Pleasantly thick mouthfeel for a non-BA stout. This beer seems to cry out for a barrel. Overall a strong offering, but perhaps I expected too much after drinking the revelation that was DBH.

3.56/5  rDev -21.1%

Just not my thing, perhaps. Seems to be thin for what I expected, and it really doesn't have a flavor that makes me put it up there with the big boys.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Intense Flavor. Very hard to obtain unless you live in florida. $4$ trades are hard to come across from florida traders. Huna is gold to them but worth it. Very complex beer with tons of spicy, sweet, and roasty flavors. Better as it warms up. I would love to try the the barrel aged version or double.

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a gorgeous black with a mild head that quickly dissipates.

Smell brings to mind soy sauce. As it warms up the chocolate comes through more.

Taste brings out the vanilla, chili, and chocolate. It's really awesome. Strong malt flavor, no discernible hop character. As it warms up the chocolate and pepper become more pronounced.

Full bodied and thick. Not at all cloying. Perfect mouthfeel.

Overall, definitely lives up to the hype.

4.23/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle dated 1/20/14 poured into snifter.

Beautiful black pour with a finger of mocha colored head

The smell is tons of chocolate and a hint of cinnamon

The taste is very chocolatey with a decent amount of vanilla. I am definitely not a fan of cinnamon in my beer. Very slight heat from the chiles. Well intergrated, just not my favorite.

2014 bottles poured into snifter.

One of my favorite non-BA stouts. Pours dark black with a small khaki head. Little carbonation. Smells of cocoa and vanilla, a bit of sweet molasses as well as a decent alcohol presence. Tastes smooth and rich. Lots of dark chocolate, fudge and mocha. Vanilla beans make it even smoother. Just a touch of cinnamon and a nice even heat on the aftertaste from the peppers. Just an outstanding stout all around.

4.98/5  rDev +10.4%

This was one of the best cinnamon spiced beers I've ever had! The flavors that came from this were perfect. The alcohol heat was well hidden by the chiles in the back. I will definitely be going to Huna day next year!

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with no light able to penetrate at any point. Thick dark brown one half finger head that recedes to a lacing relatively quickly. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very complex, even when still cold. I smell a lot of bitter chocolate up front followed with a dose of vanilla. Good amount of sweetness from the vanilla. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Taste: Everything comes through here! This is simply amazing. Chocolate and vanilla just punch your tongue. Its amazing how much these flavors come out in this beer! At the end of the sip I taste the little twang from the chili peppers. Cinnamon flavor does not particularaly stand out to me. The beer is not overly sweet but the base seems like a great stout as well.

Mouthfeel: The best part of the beer! So thick and motor oil like. Great heavy body but still some nice carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly!

4.24/5  rDev -6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- dark cocoa frothy head... Sticky lacing... Pitch black body... 5

S- soy sauce, oak, tobacco, faint chocolate, spice. Mostly subtle. 4

T- Something candy-like there, syrupy, dark chocolate swirls with the spicy chile and some vanilla. Cocoa and dark bitter chocolate linger. There's an Old Ale or Barleywine sort of caramel and grape-lie flavor. 4.25

M- Very smooth, even with the burn, and the alcohol is no existent. It's creamy and sweet up front, then the bitterness and spice take you to the exit and linger. 4.25

Great beer with a nice heat. Tasty.

4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

Really enjoyed this.

Poured thick, black, oily, very little head. Great aroma, subtle chile spice. First sips while still cold were all chocolate. As it warmed up a lot more complexity came through, no heat but some chile flavor, not much cinnamon, just good balance.

Easy to see why this was so highly rated. More please...

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The chocolate, cinnamon, and sweetness probably should come off like mexican chocolate. I got more of a chocolate gingerbread man, but suprisingly that what I really liked about it.

4.15/5  rDev -8%

had the 2014. aged it for only about 9 months, and cracked it for my beer and diaper party a few months before my daughter was born. gotta say, i wasn't as big of a fan as i wanted to be. maybe i should have aged it longer, but i was so anxious to try it. shame i was a little let down. it was overly thick and the chili was too forward, as was the booze. i like some boozy beers, and many 11%ers drink smoother than this IMO

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2014 bottle poured into a snifter. Inky, black as night with a deep brown quarter inch head. Smell had licorice, molasses, vanilla, chocolate and a hint of cinnamon. Taste is very layered, and complex. Get waves of baker's and milk chocolate, red licorice, vanilla, brown sugar, and a dry cinnamon and chile finish. Mouthfeel is substantial and oily. This beer really leaves it's mark. Overall this is an outstanding beer. I think I might like chile kick of a Prairie Bomb a bit more, but this is a more complex treat.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I have never had Hunahpu this fresh so I may be looking at things through a different set of eyes.

As soon as the bottle was open all I got was cinnamon raisin toast, seriously. This is not a bad thing, but it was was way more dark fruit than past offerings.

Everything was spot on, great nose, excellent head retention, outstanding mouthfeel.

I will open another bottle in 6-8 months and see how much this beer changes overtime and will update this review.

4.51/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A big thanks to BA rongcsc for sending this bottle to me in trade. As a lover of the "Mayan Imperial Stout" substyle, I've long wanted to sample Huna to see how it compared to the other beers of high repute in the style. This bottle is the 2015 vintage, bottled just a couple short weeks ago. Poured into a small Cigar City Belgian-style tulip glass.

Appearance (4.25) - Off to a good start, a moderate pour reveals an inky black liquid with tendencies towards dark brown and yields a slowly-developing head that tops out at about a finger thick of dark sepia colored foam. Retention is moderate, with the bubbles sticking around for a minute or so before receding to reveal a ringlet and a smattering of film across the surface of the liquid. Benath, the liquid is unforgivingly dark and impossible for light to pass through. Lacing is sparse and almost nonexistent.

Smell (4.5) - Straight out of the fridge, I'm wondering what the hell is going on. Notes of roasted malt and chocolate, and subtle hints of vanilla are present, with just the faintest suggestion of cinnamon and spice. However, by the time this reaches room temperature, the invitees have all arrived at the party, with a balanced blend of chocolate cake and baking spice, cinnamon and an underlying presence of roasted malt are all present. Nothing stands out, but in some ways, that's impressive in and of itself.

Taste (4.5) - Much like the smell, the various elements are all at play in moderate proportions. I'd say baker's chocolate is the predominant characteristic, but it certainly doesn't overpower the cinnamon and now, for the first time I get a subtle kiss of heat from the chiles. With each subsequent drink, that gentle heat builds cumulatively--I imagine consuming this quickly would end up with a pretty fiery mouth. Worth noting, I recently had the 2014 as well, and the extra year brings the vanilla much more to the forefront, increasing the sweetness of this already sweet stout by a considerable amount. We're not anywhere near Vanilla Rye levels of vanilla sweetness, but I'm a little surprised at how prevalent it is on the year-old vintage.

Mouthfeel (4.75) - Full-bodied and with moderate to low carbonation. Viscous and chewy, like a good imperial stout should be. Finish is semisweet and lingering.

Overall (4.5), a superbly done beer, although I must admit a personal preference to Abraxas because I love the cinnamon bomb element of Abraxas. But for those not as cinnamon-obsessed, this might be the best of the "Big Three" cinnamon/chocolate/pepper imperial stouts. The vanilla separates it from Mexican Cake and Abraxas, but that inclusion doesn't really rear its head as much in the fresh beer as it does once it gets some age on it.

4.01/5  rDev -11.1%

Review 2015 vintage, drank next to 2013+2014

Appearance: deep mahogany, almost black in color. 1 finger of a tannish head with decent retention. not much of a lacing but some viscosity to it. completely opaque and dark.

Smell: strong cinnamon mixed with fruits, dark and light (definitely get notes of apple.) big notes of chocolate fudge and other varieties of cocoa. coffee, somewhere between light roast and mocha. some booze

Taste: opens with notes of apple brandy along with cinnamon. booziness comes through pretty quickly. cocoa varieties comes through strong along with some fudge. this blends into a mocha or perhaps a light roasted coffee.

Mouthfeel: slick and viscous, heat from both booze and spice.

Overall: no doubt one of the kings of the spice stouts, but I'd take a standard, non-ba stout of similar proportions almost any day. tasting the three side by side was nice, the fresh and year old were both very good but a bit different in balance and the two year old had fallen off completely and tasted turrible.

3.4/5  rDev -24.6%

Not worth the hype in my opinion. This has to be one of the roughest imperial stouts I have ever drank, and it's only 11%. While I admit that it has some bold flavors, it was not pleasant or drinkable by the likes of my palate.

4.89/5  rDev +8.4%

Significantly better than any other spiced stout I've had (Abraxas, Mexican Cake, etc). Great balance, complex flavors that aren't overly aggressive. Well worth the effort.

3.98/5  rDev -11.8%

EBF Pour. Thick and pitch black. The body sticks to the side of the sample cup. Aroma is pretty insane. The usual roastiness and chocolate of a high end example of the style is all there but I am also greeted with a zany mixture of heat and cinnamon spice. The flavor brings forth more of the same flavor intricacies. Thick chocolate and roasted coffee followed by a peppy chili heat. Not overly hot but the heat tickles the back of the tongue. The cinnamon is also very easy to detect and I admittedly enjoy this more than what the chills give off. Thick bodied. Lingering aftertaste. I find some noticeable bitterness. A lot going on in this revered brew. I was not in love with all of it but there is surely plenty to find appealing.

4.87/5  rDev +8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was worth the wait. I had a very worthwhile review my wife made me take down. This is my scrubbed review. I like it. I like my wife. I like my dog. I think Jinx is a great show. Good beer. I hate snow. Go Britta Truskey

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 Vintage

Appearance: It has a beautiful viscous jet black color to it. It has a nice creamy dark tan head that dies down moderately slowl and leaves light lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of sweet dark fruit upfront, some molasses, roasted malts, cocoa nibs, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and faint chilies in the back. This things smells amazing!

Taste: Like the aromas, it has loads it has a lot of dark fruit and molasses sweetness upfront followed by tones of roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. The vanilla, cinnamon and chilies are still there but a bit more faint than the rest.

Mouthfeel: It has a low-med carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas. This is definitely up there with my top Stouts. Cigar City never ceases to amaze me. Keep em coming!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing