Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 763 | Ratings: 3,920
4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

One of the few beers I took notes on at Dark Lord Day. 22 ounce bottle served into a 4 oz tasting glass.

A: Dark black and opaque with a think brown head.

S: Malty coffee aroma

T: Chocolate malt balls with a bit of an orange and tangerine twang to it. Dark fruits like plums and raisins along with chocolate and vanilla notes.

M: Full bodied, but light and creamy on the tongue. Smooth, nice dry finish.

D: Certainly worth another taste -- would be a nice beer to have after dinner or with a rich chocolate dessert.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

2010 bottle, poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours black, with two fingers of thick brown head that slowly fades. No lacing.

Smell: very chocolaty, cinnamon, vanilla, peppers, graham crackers, somewhat sweet.

Taste: Cinnamon, peppers, cocoa, vanilla, oak. A sweet/chocolaty start, cinnamon/vanilla middle. Fades to peppers and oak.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, moderate carbonation. Smooth. Somewhat astringent as it warms.

Overall: A very complex beer. Probably the best chilli beer I've had to date. The cocoa, vanilla and cinnamon play well with the heat of the peppers and the stout base keeps everything in balance. Very drinkable. I'm looking forward to cracking my 2011 bottle shortly.

4.09/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Although I enjoyed them, I haven't been particularly blown away by either of the other Cigar City stouts that I have tried (110k+OT and Marshall Zhukov). Nonetheless, I have been impatiently waiting for months to get a chance to try this one, and that day is finally here.

This one pours a thick, black nightmare with a towering cascading head that is as dark and menacing as any you will ever see. Awesome. Be sure to be careful with your pouring here, or you will end up with a countertop soaked in Hunahpu overflow like I did.

The aroma starts out light up front, mostly a dusting of cocoa and some bright fruity/metallic notes. As the head dies down, the metallic element thankful disappears as well. Whew...had me worried there for a second. What appears is a nice mix of milk chocolate, faint peppery spiciness, and floral hops.

The taste big, bold, and roasty. A hefty dose of bitter dark chocolate on the front palate with a coffee bean finish. I'm not picking up very much of the peppers initially, but they leave their mark as a lingering aftertaste. Most of the flavor here is the enormous roasted malt profile.

The body here is full and there is sufficient carbonation yet not so much that it destroys the creaminess. Drinkability is OK, but this is such a huge bitter beer that splitting the bottle would be in your best interests.

Overall, I definitely really enjoyed this one. It was not as complex as I would have expected based on the treatments that the based beer received, but in the end that is OK because it is still extremely flavorful. The closest comparison I can make would be a fresh Bell's Expedition. If the Hunahpu's ages as gracefully as that beer, then it could be something quite special down the road.

UPDATE 4/27: I had a chance to try another sample of this beer and it was NOTHING like the bottle I opened. It was far more deep and complex, with big notes of cinnamon and chile pepper that were just phenomenal. There must be a lot of bottle variation in this batch, perhaps the bottles were pulled from different barrels and not blended???? Anyways...I would have rated it probably a 4.7 or higher, but until I get a bottle of my own that tastes like that I'm leaving it how it is.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Mini-growler shared by nickd717 at a recent Cigar City tasting. Thanks for sharing this rarity, Nick.

The pour was black, tar-like and completely opaque, topped by a head that was a shade or two lighter than black. The color made me dread that this was going to be another burnt, acrid Cigar City imperial stout.

The aroma alleviated my fears somewhat as a huge bouquet of chocolate and cinnamon wafted up from the glass. Hot pepper and alcohol stung my nostrils, while vanilla brought a balancing sweetness. Beneath it all was the signature of Cigar City - burnt things, tar pit and fresh asphalt.

The taste, sweet and chocolatey up-front, spicy both from cinnamon and hot peppers - truly like drinking a blend of stout and xocolatl. Despite the almost excessive use of adjuncts, the base beer shines through with its heavily roasted, nearly burnt malt character. Sweetness from the chocolate and vanilla balance the bitterness with surprising finesse, never quite becoming cloying despite its richness. The finish reveals flavors of French roast coffee and burnt toast, and just when you think it's done the heat from the peppers coat the palate, leading into an aftertaste of cinnamon and chiles.

Well, they finally did it. That's right; Cigar City made a good beer. I know, I'm surprised too. This is good stuff, I might even track down a bottle when they come out next year.

Edit: Had this from a bottle, not as good, though still solid.

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A- Pours very thick, oily, black color. A thin tan head sits atop the brew and a moderate amount of lacing coats the sides of the glass.

S- Smells of coffee, mocha, chocolate, tons of roasted malts and a little vanilla in the nose. I did not really pick up the peppers in the aroma that some other guys have mentioned.

T- A solid dose of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. Just a hints of bitter hops in the finish. Also a touch of spice in here too. Alcohol is hidden really well.

M- Full in body and lower side of medium in carbonation.

D- This is a very easy brew to drink without a doubt.

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

750ml capped bottle into a snifter - 2010 Vintage

A: Pours pitch black straight out of the bottle like motor oil...very thick looking. The head is one of the darkest I've seen on a beer and it fades to a ring leaving small bits of lacing.

S: The nose is full of big aromas including dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, peppers, fudge, and dark fruits. The peppers are actually more pronounced than I expected.

T: The taste is a big hit of roasted/burnt malts, coffee, and dark chocolate at first and as it progesses I can pick up the chilli peppers and a vanilla flavor on the finish. It's mainly all roast but the other flavors balance that out during the finish. It starts kind of bitter but ends sweet.

M: The beer is thick and creamy...definitely full bodied. Carbonation is actually nice for such a big beer.

O: This is one of those over the top beers that tastes good but is a bit much for one sitting. I like it but I don't think I'll search this one out again.

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2012 vintage. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a thick, viscous black with a cap of red-tinted dark brown which recedes quickly to a thin ring. No lacing.

S: Red chilis, cinnamon bark, decadent cocoa, cocoa powder, cherry. Like mexican hot chocolate.

T: Big dark, mouthcoating chocolate, cocoa powder, sweetish spicy red peppers which linger on the long finish, and some subtle vanilla and cinnamon. Slight off taste on the finish, like a coffee bitterness crossed with a spicy note.

M: Silky smooth. Full body, mouthcoating, and light but sharp carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden despite the 11% ABV.

O: Solid variation on an imperial stout, but nothing exceptional. The flavors don't quite come together as they could, and kicking up the vanilla--which is quite faint--would do well.

4.15/5  rDev -8%

Live review of a 2011 750mL bottle.
A: Opaque black with probably the darkest slow developing head I've ever seen with some lacing.
S: Boozy dark chocolate, spicy with a somewhat floral yeast character, banana and caramel, some vanilla oak character, and blackberries. Pretty good, but relatively unassuming.
T: Dark chocolate creaminess with a spicy (cinnamon) and a very mild pepper flavor (it tastes how peppers smell), while the linger is the peppers, spice, and vanilla. It almost comes off like a dark chocolate-covered chiles. The alcohol bite is noticeable and clean about halfway through. The spice builds as you sip.
M: Creamy, but thinner, with a crisp almost harsh finish (with the alcohol and heat).
O: This is probably the best use of chiles in a beer I could imagine. It's very original and almost difficult to compare to other stouts. I like it.

Served in a glass mug.

Huge thanks to Gtreid for this whale carcass!

'Twas indeed a tragic prelude to the brewing, when this bottle flung itself from the table, shattering its world, leaving an expanding sea of dark, roasty blood. We salvaged what we could from the wreckage, and the impression gotten therefrom is below. Full disclosure, home slices.

It pours a straight deathly dark brown topped by what seems to be a finger of brown foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, blackened pretzels, molasses, maple syrup, oak, vanilla, cocoa, and whiskey. The taste holds notes of heavy roasted malts, molasses, chocolate, sweet peppers, soy sauce, vanilla, and brown sugar. The body is a hefty medium, with a light carbonation and a kinda syrupy feel. Overall, this seemed a bit of a disappointment. A lot of dark, sweet, and spicy tones, but they don't really seem to truly mesh together properly. Honestly, though, because of the circumstances, this guy held up fairly well. I plan on trying to acquire a new bottle, though, so that we can determine how this ought to be. Until then, though, these were my impressions: take them as you wish.

Update (2/26/11):
Thanks to the generosity of florida9, I've been able to give this giant another chance. The taste comes up much cleaner, tastier, with the soy sauce now thankfully gone and the peppers coming in nice and subtly near the end. Everything comes through nicely this time, much more well-blended and neat. I'm glad I was able to try this as it was intended to be consumed, as it is definitely better than the literal wreck that the above bottle was. The scores have thus been appropriately adjusted.

4.15/5  rDev -8%

had the 2014. aged it for only about 9 months, and cracked it for my beer and diaper party a few months before my daughter was born. gotta say, i wasn't as big of a fan as i wanted to be. maybe i should have aged it longer, but i was so anxious to try it. shame i was a little let down. it was overly thick and the chili was too forward, as was the booze. i like some boozy beers, and many 11%ers drink smoother than this IMO

4.15/5  rDev -8%

a-a dark little head on a black as night beer

s- chocolate, coffee, tobacco, hops, charred wood.

t- cocao, pine, dry wood that has been lightly charred, tobacco and coffee and alc warmth at the end.

md- Silky smooth and very drinkable closer to a medium bodied porter the way it felt. I could drink a bit more and found it to be very drinkable considering it's weight.

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

cold from the bottle black to a plastic cup at FFF XV party with a finger sized mocha head with minimal retention.

aroma of dark fruit, cocoa and peppers.

cocoa and peppers up front. dark fruit and perhaps a bit of smoke.

creamy smooth, low carbonation, sweet, no bitter.

overall: cocoa, smooth, yum.

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

On draft at CCB during the 2011 release.

Pitch black, literally just like motor oil. The head is a dark tan and it fades to a ring around the glass/ swirl in the middle. The nose is mainly of dark chocolate and espressso type coffee. Taste is big on roasted/burnt malts, coffee, and dark chocolate as expected. Mild chilli peppers and a vanilla flavor on the finish. Thick and full bodied. Carbonation fades toward the end. This is a huge beer to say least. Lots going on but it comes together nicely in my opinion. Worth searching.

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

2011 Hunahpu's, thanks to BRoss242 for the trade.

A- pours jet black, just like motor oil...small tan head with a reddish accent to it, other than that though pretty basic and typical for a stout of this caliber

S- there are a lot of things you can pick-up, especially knowing what's in the beer already. it's mostly dark chocolate, with some bourbon on the end of it, possibly some chili in there but again I was looking for it...some dark coffee notes, pretty sweet but yet bitter at the same time

T- lots and lots of dark chocolate...it has a bitterness to it but there are no hops present, it's a bitter chocolate taste and especially aftertaste, and that's where some of that chili taste comes in...definitely has some bourbon to it as well which I wasn't expecting. This has a bite to it, much more than Zhukov's but it's more complex...even though there is a consistent bite it gets better as it warms up like a good stout should

M- thick...just the right amount of carbonation

O- this was much different than I thought it would be...I'd preferably like to let one sit for a few years and see how it is. It has bitter characteristics to it but overall I think it's a little too sweet...it also has more of a bite than I was expecting. Overall a very solid offering from CC, but I've had a few stouts that I'd put a notch above this.

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

opened at a tasting by ejyoung.

A: pours out a thick, opaque black with a brown head. the head looks very creamy.

S: smells of dark chocolate, roasted malt, burnt sugar, dark fruits. I get a little chili in the nose with hints of vanilla.

T: lost of dark chocolate and roasted malt. burnt sugar and some coffee, with a little chili and vanilla. a good balance of chili in this beer. not overwhelming.

M: thick and creamy.

D: this is a very drinkable beer.

4.18/5  rDev -7.3%

750 ml bottle from the year 2011 poured into a snifter. Thanks Frank, Jason and Kan.

Hunaphu's is by far the darkest beer I recall drinking. Unlike any other stout I remember, Hunaphu's seems to pour BLACK rather than dark brown! The head is moderate, very dark chocolate brown, with good retention but hardly any lacing. I do notice legs on the snifter. I don't think I can quite describe how awesome this beer looks... it's the devil in liquid form!

The aroma is very heavy on vanilla with some chocolate coming in at the back. Initially I loved it but it got a tad tiring over the course of the beer. Something something juicy and spicy... could it be the hops? Or is the chilies? Tough to say.

Unlike many other "specialty" stouts, the stout is not lost in Hunaphu's. Bitter and roasty with a burnt, charred finish, Hunaphu's is stout first. I can taste and smell the fire! On this delicious stout base, there's plenty of chocolate, coconut, malty sweetness, and perhaps a little too much vanilla. Not that I mind, but it's too strong for an entire 750. Hard to pick the chilies but that could either be the "age", or the fact that my palate doesn't pick anything hot until it's real hot ;-) Regardless I feel the telltale heat at the back. Good.

Mouthfeel is spot on, thick and chewy although the carbonation could be dialed down a notch or two. Overall, Hunaphu's stands out in its complexity against straight up Imperial Stouts while avoiding the booziness of barrel aged stouts. I wish the vanilla notes were dialed down a bit, that's all!

4.5, 4, 4, 4.5, 4.5

4.19/5  rDev -7.1%

3/10/12 bottling

Thin deep deep mocha head on a black beer. "Is this ever going to stop dripping??" Alcohol legs damn near stain the snifter. Good collar, head retention, and lacing for a stout with this magnitude of an ABV. One of the thickest beers I've ever had.

Very present chile aroma, deep chocolate aromas.

All stated secondary flavors well represented...chiles, vanilla, cacao...cinnamon really comes though at the end, unexpectedly. Tastes bounce of each other and from what I gather the order is vanilla>chocolate>chile>cinnamon.

Thick mouthfeel. Lower end of carbonation, fits.

Complex for sure. Glad I split this between four guys because I don't think I could, or would want to, drink this to myself. Started to become muddled acter the palate got a little fatigued. Thanks Elliott.

4.19/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Despite the AMAZING reviews this beer gets, I simply just didnt 'get' it. I found it to be tasty, but more than my 8oz glass started to become a chore.

The aroma is amazing with a lot of little nuances making up the collective body of scents. It's the flavor that gets me; it's SO fucking sweet. I don't do malty IPAs and sweet stouts are of course hard for me to fall in love with. With all the flavor jam-packed into the bottle, I found the drinkability very low and overwhelmed by the sweet fudge-like flavors.

Still a wonderful experience and even though I wasn't IN LOVE, I will still give it a good grade for the sheer complexity of this beer.

Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

750 ml bottle, big thanks to my boy tpd975 for the hookup, SNIIITCH!

Pours a dark and opaque black, no light gets through, medium sized dark brown head forms, one of the darkest heads I've ever seen, settles down to a medium size ring, lots of lace chunks stick, with some spots.

Smell is neat, big chocolate and vanilla notes, brown sugar, peppery spice, caramel, toast, coffee, oaky, some alcohol, cinnamon comes through, really nice.

Taste is similar, super super roasty up front, fresh coffee beans, cocoa nib chocolate character, toffee, cinnamon and sugar, lightly peppery, vanillla, pretty intense flavours going on in this one, caramelized sugar in the finish, almost burnt, neat, with some alcohol.

Mouthfeel is nice, medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, a bit of warmth and some spice going down, but very drinkable. A nice beer and kickass idea! I've been inspired. Thanks Greg!!

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours absolutely pitch black, ridiculously dense and thick, with a gorgeous mocha head. The head slowly settles down into a thin but dense cap, with excellent stickage and fantastic walls of lacing. Nose is roasty, light notes of smooth espresso and dark cocoa, bit of tobacco, and a mix of dark fruits and licorice. The taste, however, lives up to the expectations. Huge, deep chocolate and beautiful roastiness up front segue into big dark fruit, blackstrap molasses, more chocolate, and a nice smokiness. Alcohol emerges with a bit of booziness right before the finish, smoky pepper heat, and a firm, sharp, roasty bitterness that carries hints of burnt sugar. Mouthfeel is thick and full-bodied, decadent, with a firm underlying carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Deep black with only the slightest hints of light poking through the edges. Not too impressive of a head... tiny khaki cap, with modest retention. Dissolves to a tight ring around the edges. An occasional wisp of lacing left on the glass.

S: Roasted malt, bitter chocolate and a bit of vanilla. Nothing unusual and certainly not a fair indication of the flavor just around the bend.

T: Bam... one of the most unexpected flavor profiles based on the nose... large blasts of bitter dark chocolate, cacao, roasted malts, and vanilla... supplemented with an earthy smoked-woodyness... a little bit of cola... and of course the spicy chilies! Reminded me of Black Tuesday in the sheer monstrosity and complexity of the flavor layering ... not quite as enjoyable though.

M: Heavy... dense... with some carbonation to balance out... nice prolonged finish

D: I have had this both fresh and with some age... I'd drink this on the younger side of things. One of the few cigar city beers that have been worth trying.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage served side by side with 2013.

2012:

Smells of dark, fudgy chocolate, cherries, plumbs, vanilla

Tastes like fudge, baker's chocolate, alcohol soaked cherries, prunes, tobacco, leather

2013

Smells of sweet pie cherries, chocolate, faint spice and vanilla

Taste is much like the smell. More delicate and layered than the 2012 bottle. Slight burn from the pepper evident, but if I were given these beers blind, I'm not sure I'd pick out cinnamon or ancho. Delicious stout nonetheless.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

I shared this guy at the Pre-DLD tasting. 750 ml bottle served, 2012 vintage in a Deschutes tulip. Had this side by side with the 2011 and Bourbon barrel aged versions. Huge thanks to Eric (Holland) for hitting this long time want.

A: Pours a jet black body with dark khaki head forming on the pour. This stuff is viscous. Some splotchy lace is left down the glass.

S: Roasted malts, some sweet chocolate and a nice subtle spice are present in the nose. The nose is a tad boring considering what there is in this beer.

T: The taste is much better. Nice spiciness from the chilies and there is a touch of some cinnamon. Dark chocolate, some figgy fruit notes and some roasted malts round it out.

M: Chewy and thick. The carbonation is on the lower end there is a residual heat from the chilies.

O: A very solid beer. The 2011 vintage definitely lost some of the luster and complexity that the 2012 had. This is a stout that must be drank fresh if you want to retain any of those flavors from the spices and the chilies.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this side-by-side at Capone's with the Apple Brandy Barrel, which probably influenced this review. Sample was 5.5 oz. into a snifter. Poured a thick, black with a one-finger rich, thick, creamy head. Both the head and great lacing had great retention. Nose was chocolate, malts, toffee and vanilla. Taste was very heavy on the chocolate, but notes of the vanilla, some spice and a bit of the roasted malts. Mouthfeel was thick and creamy with a good level of carbonation. All-in-all, for me this was VERY sweet and I could only drink this at specific times. Great imperial stout but I much preferred the brandy barrel.

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours very dark brown, almost black. Completely opaque allowing no highlights. Head is a dense reddish-tan ring.

Aroma is smokey charred dark grain. There is an underlying oatmeal sweetness. Bourbon soaked dark fruit, hints of oak, and smoked meat.

Taste is rich and bold. Sweet with hot alcohol up front. The bourbon soaked dark fruit comes on strong. Then an unusual aromatic spice takes over. Bitter dark chocolate matched with a peppery sting. Rich, chewy tobacco that just lingers forever. Finishes with a woody cedar aspect that is very dry.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy. Dense and viscous, but not oily.

A very flavorful and intense imperial stout. There are many subtle flavors in every sip. A must try.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing