Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 756 | Ratings: 3,886
4.93/5  rDev +9.1%

As of 1/3/15 -
Had a vertical consisting of '12, '13 and '14 (Batch1.)

All were world class but there was a noticeable fall-off in the cinnamon / chilies as it ages - as expected. Conversely, the mouth feel improved. Cannot wait to try the 2014 Batch 2 and the 2015 offerings.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Decided to finally review this one after having it quite a few times. Had a few bottles of 2010 and had it on draft at 2011 Hunahpu's release. 2011 Bottle opened on 6/3/11

Appearance: Very dark with a nice tan head that lasts for a good amount of time.

Smell: Great smell, can pick up combination of coffee, vanilla and some great scents of cinammon and chili

Taste: I Picked up some coffee and chocolate with a blend of the chili flavors. Very well put together flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: I like the thickness and creaminess of this one and just the right amount of carbonation

Overall: I really enjoy this one, big stouts tend to be my favorites and this one does not dissapoint at all. One of my favorite overall beers

Received today in a trade with mikesgroove. Thanks Mike you are a very generous man!

Poured into my DFH Signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with no light able to penetrate at any point. Thick dark brown one half finger head that recedes to a lacing relatively quickly. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very complex, even when still cold. I smell a lot of bitter chocolate up front followed with a dose of vanilla. Good amount of sweetness from the vanilla. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Taste: Everything comes through here! This is simply amazing. Chocolate and vanilla just punch your tongue. Its amazing how much these flavors come out in this beer! At the end of the sip I taste the little twang from the chili peppers. Cinnamon flavor does not particularaly stand out to me. The beer is not overly sweet but the base seems like a great stout as well.

Mouthfeel: The best part of the beer! So thick and motor oil like. Great heavy body but still some nice carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly!

4.84/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-a nice hard pour reveals a 1 finger rocky dark brown head. Looks nice. Starts dissipating quickly to a wispy head and then to nothing.

S- Lots of Chocolate and some vanilla and rum notes. As for the chilis, I can pick up very slight dried ancho aromas that blend with the chocolate. Cinnamon starts presenting itself as the beer warms up, and adds a nice spice note.

T- Follows the nose. Chocolate is up front and incredible. Then in the middle of the palate the vanilla and rum notes present themselves. As the beer warms the cinnamon kind of starts presenting itself and it is really complementary to all of the other ingredients. Chili takes a while to be able to notice. But I am starting to get some chili head as the beer reaches room temp. the wonderful thing about this beer is that it keeps changing quite a bit and revealing new surprises as it warms.

M- Not as thick as a beer as I expected. Carbonation is quite low but perfect. Not as heavy a beer as I had expected. Dangerously smooth.

O- Best beer I have ever had. I expected something similar to Prairie Bomb. It is better than Bomb, yet a little lighter. This beer is like chocolate in a glass. Incredible.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

This is probably the most complexed flavored Imperial Stout in the game, the only disregard is the aftertaste, it bitters out. Find one if its the last thing you do in Florida.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance: Pours black as night with a dark brown head. The head goes away almost immediately and leaves some lacing. The beer is super viscous and clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Initially I smell very sweet roast with hints of dark chocolate and dark fruit. After that I pick up the peppers as well as some alcohol.

Taste: Very sweet roast hits the tongue first. This is followed by dark chocolate, some chili pepper spice, cinnamon, and some dark fruit notes. The finish is roasty and sweet, the flavors blend together well.

Mouthfeel: This one just coats your mouth. Very thick and viscous with just the right amount of carbonation (mild). The finish is mildly dry.

Drinkability: I would have this one again and again. I'm super excited that I got to try this! I thought it was very well balanced. Great Beer Gland I got to try this one!

4.43/5  rDev -2%

750ml bottle poured into my Cigar City snifter...

Beautiful beer, pours as thick as I beer I have seen, dark, black and dense. A super thick and sticky dark brown head slowly emerges and stays for a while, leaving some lacing behind...

Wow, really strong, complex nose. Slightly salty and spicy for the chiles, sweet chocolate and vanilla, roasted dark malts, some cinnamon and coffee...

Hmmm, tasty. Salty and spicy, bitter and dry at first. As it warms, it really mellows out and a very smooth creamy chocolate and spice flavor comes forward. Incredibly thick, vanilla and a bit of a dry, oaky, somewhat hoppy finish...

One of the thickest beers I have ever tried...after drinking it looked like I had teeth from the 18th century. Smooth and creamy, thick and coating, well carbonated...

Great beer, way too complex for my palette to pick everything out...one of the most unique beers I have tried, will definitely enjoy my other bottle...

3.98/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a thick black with reddish brown head. Smell of chocolate malts, some alcohol. Sweet malty chocolate flavor up front with a strong chile taste following. Not spicy, not too smokey, the anchos are front and center for this one. Finish has a slight bitterness that doesnt quite balance out the sweet/smokey flavors... somehow this beer still works. Mouthfeel is syrupy and coating, for me it is spot on for an imperial stout. Although I think this is a great twist on the imperial stout, by the end of my glass I was done with the chile flavors. I would be happy to drink this one again but there is no way I could do more then 8oz. That being said, I definitley recommend trying this.

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

750 ml bottle courtesy of RaffyS. Thanks. 2012 Vintage. Pours a pitch black with dark tan chocolate head that has good retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is rich decadent chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, light coffee, and a bit of chilies. Quite nice. The taste is sweet chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa, a bit of coffee, and some smoked chilies. The finish has a light bitterness and leaves a little bit of lingering heat from the peppers and a bit of roastiness. Full, creamy body with low carbonation. Great beer. It's definitely on the sweet side, which I usually don't enjoy, but it works here. All the flavors come together quite nicely. It also might have one of the best mouthfeels out of any beer.
5/4.5/4.5/5/4.5

750 ml bottle courtesy of J2Brew2. Thanks Joe. 2011 release. Pours a pitch black with a dark tan head. Possibly the darkest beer I've ever seen. Barely any light gets through even at the edges. Also the darkest head that I have seen. Good retention and lacing. Aroma is huge vanilla and dark chocolate as well as a little bit of cinnamon. Phenomenal. The initial taste is sweet with vanilla, dark chocolate, and some cinnamon. A light smokiness and a hint of the pepper comes through in the mid palate. The finish is very smooth with little trace of the alcohol coming through. A bit of pepper heat comes through after swallowing. Quite pleasant. A big, full bodied beer. Creamy mouthfeel. Not syrupy a bit. Medium-low carbonation Pretty much everything I could ask for in a beer. This is certainly one of the best beers that I have had.
5/5/5/5/4.5

4.43/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

great mouthfeel and an interesting blend of flavors. 2015 bottle and cinnamon seemed to be the dominant flavor pulling through. hint of chili hit the back of the throat to finish. didn't pick up as much vanilla as i was hoping for. overall a great imperial stout.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

750 split two ways. Poured into red wine glasses. Reviewed 13 April 2011.

Ar: Rich and dark, dry dark chocolate, sweet rich dark caramel, strong cinnamon, woody spicyness, mild pepper, very strong chocolate, vanilla hints, mild roast, mild dark fruit

Ap: Black/dark black, dark tan head, like Marshall Zhukov's

T: Spicy cinnamon, dry dark chocolate, spice, cocoa, beautiful, nice roast, spice becomes stronger with warmth, the spicing is strong but it works well with the beer and spices work well together, rich and very strong chocolate, nice chili end

M: Creamy body, rich and full, thick medium carbonation, spicy warmth at end

O: Aggressive spicing but delicious, i really like the cinnamon, excellent body/appearance, rich and full, epically delicious

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to black13 for bringing this to a tasting. Shared with black13, tulipsnifter, hopsbreath, chaset, and ramnuts.
Vintage 2010

Appearance- Black with a chocolate head that sticks around for a min then dissipated to a ring. This is the darkest head I have ever seen.

Smell- Chocolate and some chilies are prominent.

Taste- Very smooth. Lots of chocolate and the smallest hint of chilies. Very good. Some vanilla in the background.

Mouthfeel- Very thick. I am surprised that the head sticks around as much as it does. Coats the glass quite a lot.

Overall- Damn this is a good beer. I usually do not like chilies, in beer or anywhere else. This would be an exception. Small chili presence and it works well.

Micheal also brought a 2011 version which I liked a lot better. All of the flavors were much sharper. Much more complex and interesting. The actual numbers reflect the 2011 version.

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The chocolate, cinnamon, and sweetness probably should come off like mexican chocolate. I got more of a chocolate gingerbread man, but suprisingly that what I really liked about it.

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Tried a 2011 bottle on May 15 with two of my friends on our "Epic Beer Tasting Day". The line-up consisted of 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, , 2011 Hanahpu, 2011 KBS, 2010 Abyss.

Appearance - This badboy looks jet black and like everyone said pours like used motor oil with a small dark chocolate head. Very nice lacing.

Smell - The smell of coffee almost feels as if it soccer kicks you in the face with subtle hints of dark chocolate and vanilla bean. I did not smell any traces of any kind of chili peppers though.

Taste - Starts with smooth dark chocolate and coffee taste, followed by a hint of the vanilla beans. Again no trace of any chili peppers.

Mouthfeel - It was very nice and smooth. A very thick stout with little carbonation.

Overall - I enjoyed this and can't wait for my next adventure with it. I can't get this beer out of my head. I'm looking under the door mats like a crackhead for this beer.

4.81/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 vintage. Met or exceeded every expectation that I had. Roasted grains, chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon throughout the nose and taste. Did not get much chili, which I was thankful for. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Would recommend, and will seek again.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance:

As we popped the cap on this treat there was a generous amount of carbonation gasses that hissed from the neck of the bottle. On the pour this is black as midnight with a two finger thick dark chocolate colored head that floated gracefully on top of the syrupy liquid. When I hold my glass up to the light there is absolutly nothing shining through and no haze or yeast chunks. As I give a quick swirl I notice that this is very very thick and seems to "stain" the walls a deep blood red and creep very slowly.

Smell:

Loads of charred fiery ash, meaty BBQ sauce, pipe tobacco, roast and coffee. Slight undertones of vanilla and plums round of the middle. There is some hop presence but not much because its faded out by all the intense dark flavors going on here.

Taste:

Very delicious! Like a cold cup of espresso and smoking a fine cigar. (no pun intended) This is very full in body with some underlying spiciness like pepper that I am really enjoying. Chocolate, heat alcohol, and thick molasses make it all come together.

Drinkability:

Another slow sipper RIS, but it needs to be because there is a lot of complexity going on. One of CCB finest beers in my opinion and for the 11% ABV drinks very smooth. It will be fun to see how this develops over the years.

Taken from notes on 4-3-11. Hooked up on a trade from jcartamdg. Thanks Jason.

I will start off by saying this has been a top 5 want for quite some time. My expectations are very high. I decided to open it fresh rather than cellar it. I was happy to share this with my tasting posse. SundaySuperFriends.

My Darkness snifter was shaking with anticipation. Pours a violent deep dark jet black. Not one shred of light is escaping this beast. Black hole with a reddish tan two finger head sums it up. My glass is stained with a blackish tan hue after i swirl.

Good thing I was blessed with a large nose so I could take in all the intoxication from my glass. Wow this smells freakin epic. Cinnamon, cocoa nib, and vanilla rounds it out. Cinnamon and cocoa are the front runners in my mouth. In the end of the swallow they've brought their friend chili pepper with them. What an incredible sip. Carbonation is dialed in to perfection. The beer is thick but not chewy. Fuck this is unbelievable.

Best beer I've had to date hands down. Number two isn't even in eye shot. If you took an x-ray of my stomach after drinking this you would see a flippin party taking place. If you don't like this beer you need a lobotomy.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

750 ml bottle thanks to yamar68 for sharing this elusive gem with me! Mr. Hunahpu pours an extremely dark black with a one finger khaki head that lasts for ages, and is one for the ages. The nose brings me massive joy, I feel like a phish kid listening to Harry Hood for this first time. Glorious aromas: Huge dark chocolate, vanilla bean, roasted malts, and some spice from the chili's. There is a strong scent a cinnamon as well. The taste is extremely unique for a stout, it's very impressive and still not was I was expecting after reading so many reviews. Flavors of extremely dark chocolate take over my palate, along with notes of vanilla, spicy cinnamon, and bitter caramelized coffee. Hunahpu's is extremely flavorful and complex but not as full bodied as I was expecting. It's more of a smooth bodied and drinkable stout. The nose is the best part and the taste follows in superb fashion. The spice sets this beer apart from other stouts. It definitely lives up to the hype!

4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

2010 bottle, poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours black, with two fingers of thick brown head that slowly fades. No lacing.

Smell: very chocolaty, cinnamon, vanilla, peppers, graham crackers, somewhat sweet.

Taste: Cinnamon, peppers, cocoa, vanilla, oak. A sweet/chocolaty start, cinnamon/vanilla middle. Fades to peppers and oak.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, moderate carbonation. Smooth. Somewhat astringent as it warms.

Overall: A very complex beer. Probably the best chilli beer I've had to date. The cocoa, vanilla and cinnamon play well with the heat of the peppers and the stout base keeps everything in balance. Very drinkable. I'm looking forward to cracking my 2011 bottle shortly.

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Got this in trade from FutureCowboy. Thanks, Timmons!

2010 bottle shared with gwuilliums as our first beer of 2011.

A: Black, slightly viscous pour. Good head formation and decent retention. Good legs and decent lacing as well.

S: Very dark and roasty smells. Some slight sourness like I have experienced with many RIS.

T: Very dark roast coffee with some chili pepper notes.

M: Very smooth and round. The alcohol is nearly completely hidden.

D: Easy to drink and enjoyable.

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

2013. The long awaited Hunahpu.

This is a massively flavorful beer - incredible flavor depth and excellently balanced all around. Chocolate is the dominant flavor and aroma. Incredibly rich velvety mouth-coating milk chocolate, bittersweet dark chocolate covered oily espresso beans. The madagascar vanilla beans yield an amazing bourbon-vanilla sweetness - some toffee too. It's perfectly boozy at 11%. It's like a spirit coated decadent chocolate vanilla spice cake. The chillies and cinnamon blend incredibly well together and create a spicy and slightly vegetal pepper skin with a cinnamon kick. It has a wonderfully smooth, viscous, mouth-coating full body with very soft carbonation.

Incredible beer that stands out as one of the best in my memory. It's hard to imagine that a barrel aged version could make it better with so much going on, but I must try one after experiencing this.

3.56/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Looks awesome. Deep and dark, one of the blackest stouts I've seen. Dark tan head, I love it. I smell the chile's and not much else. Smelled a bit oxidized as it warmed, not as pleasant. Taste is decent. Standard RIS with flavors of chile and very faint chocolate. The vanilla was absent until it warmed a bit. The unfortunate oxidization masks the potential of both the cocoa nibs and vanilla. I was hoping these flavors would be the highlight of the beer. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Overall, I'm a tad disappointed. I see the great scores, yet I'm perhaps distracted by a fridge full of Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain that I know will never let me down. I can't help but think that Goose Island and the Bruery are way ahead of the flavored stout game.

3.96/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Big thanks to gford217

A: Pours "pitch black like an oil slick blah blah". Actually Hunahpu scores high marks in appearance because of its massive milk chocolate colored head. I cant chalk it up to my Duvel tulip because Ive been seeing plenty of impys pour into this glass with no head lately. This black liquid actually appears to be staining my glass brown as I swish it around.

S: Chocolate, coffee, some spice. Is that heat from the chili peppers or sharpness from booze? Hunahpu smells pretty good, but not terribly complex.

T: Opens with sweetness/dark fruit bordering on cloying, which mellows to reveal chocolate, vanilla, and a bitterness akin to fresh roasted coffee beans.

Theres definitely spice on the back end but I wish it developed just a little bit more. I found some cinnamon toward the end of the palate, but then again I was looking for it. The chili's become most apparent during Hunahpu's aftertaste, when you notice a bit of heat left to mingle on the palate. Overall the flavors are just huge, palatable, and pretty complex. High marks for taste, but I was hoping for a bit more defining character and less subtleness in regards to the spice.

M: Thoroughly thick and coating.... might stain your teeth. Low carb.

D: Another huge stout suitable for a 6-8oz serving in my opinion. Drinkability suffers due to sweetness, ABV, and general palate assault. For what it is, a great beer that I am glad to have tried.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a DFH Signature Glass. Bottle shared with a friend.

A: Pouring this beer, I felt like I was peering into Satan's soul. It really is that dark. Rising from the fiery pit, I saw a dark brown head. The darkest I have ever seen. It sank quickly, leaving a rim around my glass. Holding the beer up to the light, there are no highlights. No garnet, not reflections, nothing. There is no escaping this darkness.

S: I got my first whiff while pouring. I am intrigued. Submerging my nose into the rim of my glass, I breathe deeply. This beer smells fantastic. The roasted stout flavor lies in perfect balance with sweet and spicy flavors. A wonderful aroma.

T: Much as the nose suggests, this beer is wonderfully balanced. It has the backbone of a traditional Imperial Stout, but with the essence of the cacao, chilies, and vanilla all working together. The sweet chocolate dances on my tongue while the spicy chilies light the back of my throat. The vanilla helps smooth the whole experience out. This is one of the most well balanced stouts I have ever tasted.

M: Thick. As heavy as can be. The beer needs the body, though, as the flavors are so pronounced. It feels great rolling around my tongue.

D: I could drink as much as I can afford. This is my first Cigar City beer, and I can tell someone put alot of effort into the quality of this brew. I hope they can get their distribution and production to a level that finding Cigar City beer isn't such a tough (and expensive) endeavor. Until then, I hope to try a few more of their top notch brews.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle thanks to the gentleman and scholar Bowman2001

Poured and looked like thick motor oil with a thin bubbly tan head that easily dissapated. Smelled multiple layers of chiles, cinamon, DARK CHOCOLATE, and a little vanilla and booze.

Average carbonation, viscous in mouth like mashed potatoes.

Taste is as it smells all wrapped in brown sugar and some raisin action. No booze, lingering pleasant roastiness in mouth. Very little heat from the chiles, just the perfect amount.

It s a beer version of a chile'd dark chocolate bar! Absolutely fantastic, though so thick get at least 3 friends to share the bottle. Cigar city never disappoints.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing