Hunahpu's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Added by tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Reviews: 764 | Ratings: 3,921

I first had this beer at the 2010 Stogie's & Stouts party at the Dunedin Brewery in February.

Pours black with big thick dark tan head. Aromas of roasted malts, cocoa, and chocolate. Flavor is robust with thick dark malts, tons of chocolate, light cinnamon, light smoke, and very faint heat from chilis. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Not abrasive in any way. Flavors come together so well. This beer comes with tons of hype and it lived up to it. Just like the rest of the CCB brews I have had.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

This thing pours 2am black into the glass with a nice thick "glug, glug". Nice sticky lacing from the head. Good legs on the glass. Definitely one of the best looking imperial stouts out there.

Smell on this is great. Nice dark roast, hints of the vanilla and cinnamon present. Morning blend coffee.

Taste is off the charts for me. Perfect blend of traditional RIS flavors (coffee, bakers chocolate), with great add-ons. The vanilla is a nice sweet note, with the cinnamon present but not overpowering. I really love how the chiles come in on the back end and create this pleasant warming note throughout. Probably the most balanced use of chiles in beer that I've come across.

Mouthfeel is perfect for a big beer like this. Smooth, creamy, goes down easy without being cloying.

After having this a third time on Thanksgiving night I can say this has become my favorite beers in the "one day a year" special release category. I think I'm going to have to make the effort to get down there next year for release day.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Huna Day at CCB 2014.
I never really cared for Huna, I always used it to trade but damn 2014 huna is amazing. Loads of chocolate, spice, chocolate, chocolate and spice on the nose. The flavor has loads of chocolate, spice, chocolate and spice with a hint of heat from the chilies. Its like drinking a chocolate gingerbread cookie that's been dipped in chocolate. Well done CCB on this years Huna.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

This could be one of the best beers I have had the pleasure of drinking. Really nice, really deep, really, really good. Thanks to Donn for picking this up for our outstanding tasting. There is some much depth and flavor in this beer, it is a great example of my favorite style of beer. The chiles, the cinnamon, the tastes and flavored are great. Pours a beautiful black with a nice brown dark head....overall..pure awesome!

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2016 bottle drank on 4/16/2016

L-thick motor oil with a thin tan head

S-chocolate, hints of vanilla, cinnamon, subtle peppers

T- sweet dark chocolate with spices...some vanilla comes through and the peppers are subtle and not annoying or overpowering at all

F-drinkable big time...minimal booze. Really nice creaminess

O-first time I have had really fresh and this was very enjoyable. Great aged and great fresh!

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

Good god this beer was delicious. Drank at a perfect cellar temperature, the vanilla comes right out and smacks you in the nose. The smell is sweet like a chili infused milkshake (hmmmm) and i have to say, this beer was about as viscous as a milkshake too.

The only thing that made it tough to knock down was that it was still a bit hot. Not that it was unexpected but it definitely made it a little less drinkable. I worked on my bottle over 3 days... I hope to try this beer with even a little bit of age on it... i think it will be unbelievable...

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared with StayWhatYouAre2 during our annual rare beer tasting. Poured into a Bruery snifter.

A: Thick, syrupy, nearly black pour produces a medium one finger mocha head that makes the mouth water. Decent head retention with some of the most impressive lacing I've seen, and long legs. Couldn't get much better than this.

S: Smokey with bitter dark chocolate up front, along with vanilla, bacon, and slight anise, coffee, hops and booze. I don't pick up any peppers or chili, but am not disappointed what is present in the nose.

T: The taste matches the smell quite well. Starts with dark chocolate and toffee, greeted by a smokiness and slight hoppiness, finishing with a bits of coffee, hops, and a mild booze burn. Still no ancho or pasilla chilies, but a bit of a chili burn at the back of the throat the more you drink and the more it warms. Would have liked just a bit more of the chili bite, but the lack thereof doesn't negatively effect the quality.

M: Coating and chewy; probably as close to chocolate syrup as a beer could come. Very mild carbonation, which adds to the viscosity, yet keeps it slightly lively on the palate. Slight booze burn on the back end.

D: Mildly drinkable, at best. This is a tough one to put down. Although this bottle was shared, it wasn't finished in one evening. Maybe we're wimps, but this is a definite sipper and great for sharing with at least two people. Overall Hunahpu's really delivers ... in appearance, smell, taste, and mouthfeel. I loved it!

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

bottle poured into two Sam Adams perfect pint glasses
thanks to hollywood_15063 for the trade.
March 8, 2014 release written on the bottle.
some of the best head I have seen on a imperial stout. 3 fingers deep and thick oily look. dissolves into a still heavy frothy level of head prior to sipping.
a very bright LED flashlight does not shine through this beer. it's that dark.
carbonation seems good but cannot be seen.
nose is vanilla, cocoa and chocolate. it is very strong and apparent.
some booziness is noticeable as well on the sniff.
color is thick dark chocolate.
taste is amazing and reflective of the ingredients used. there are other imperial stouts that I like better. some smoke from the chile, slight but not overpowering vanilla and some cocoa.
I do not get chile spiciness in this merely the flavor of chile peppers, but I also am quite immune to spiciness as I eat tons of varieties of chiles almost daily in my diet.
the mouth-feel is smooth and medium. not super thick.
cocoa nibs dry out the tongue a little more than I would like on a beer in this style.
the residual cocoa nib flavor could be more subtle IMO.
the front end is dank chocolate and vanilla stouty goodness. SO SO good. back end leaves a little (but not much) to be desired.
highly recommended if you can get your hands on one.

3.96/5  rDev -12.2%

Shared a 750 ml bottle 3 ways as a night cap to a evening of pretty moderate drinking.

Viscous, pitch black, dark brown head. Smells pretty standard stouty (roasty, coffee-y, chocolatey etc) with a little bit of smoked chiles. The core of the taste is also pretty standard big stout flavors more coffee, chocolate, roastiness, brown sugar, a little bit of dark fruit. What sets this one apart though is the subtle underlying flavors. First, the peppers are a really unique addition. My buddies said they tasted a lot of chiles but I only got them very subtly with just a tiny bit of heat that slowly builds with each sip to the point of being noticeable. Vanilla is there for a subtle smoothness, and there is a bit of spiciness (cinnamon) that you have to go searching for. Maybe I only went looking for these subtleties because they were promised on the label and would have missed them otherwise, but this wasn't a blind tasting so everything (including the label) is part of the drinking experience. Mouthfeel is creamy, and thick with a comforting warmth. With everything going on here a small 8-10 oz pour was plenty, I took my time with it and was not particularly sad to see the bottom of the glass feeling like I had thoroughly experienced the beer. Unfortunately while I can't put my finger on why while it was an interesting, unique beer it just didn't blow me away like I had hoped it would.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

750ml bottle from 2011

A: This beer has one of the better heads you will get out of an imperial stout; I was worried after hearing so much about the base beer being flatter than hand soap. Poured ever so black into a goblet style glass with an impressive 1/2" mocha head.

S: The smell is where you first know this isn't some run-of-the-mill double stout. There is the typical bitter coffee and dark chocolates but right away you know this is spiced up. I'm sure the chilies stood out more when fresh but they were present in the background, standing behind the vanilla sweetness and brown sugar/cinnamon spice.

T: This really stands alone. I sort of feel that cigar city teamed up with Hershey;s and a seasoning company to make this guy. There is a dominating coffee character which I didn't expect in this beer. Ok, maybe not dominant, just the first big flavor in the party. Next you get the richness and creaminess that the vanilla and cacao nibs bring to the beer. The finish is where you notice Hunahpu's spiciness, which is apparent on the back of your tongue after each taste; Its nothing distracting but enough to give the beer character and set it apart. Alcohol is hidden very well in this big stout.

M: Thick, creamy, and coating. The carbonation was huge for the style.

O: I'm very pleased that I decided to seek out a few bottles of this. Huna is a great way for a brewery to make something different and memorable without throwing it in a bourbon barrel.

This Imperial Stout has a vanilla nose, hints of cocoa. Pour is chocolate black, taste is sweet vanilla, cocoa, malty, nice medium-heavy mouthfeel. I don't detect much of the cinammon, or spicy peppers, until an aftertaste of slight peppers. A worthy Imperial Stout, I would probably have another offering!

4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

I don't know if I can do this justice in a review, there were so many flavors hitting my mouth. Chocolate, coffee, cinnamon and vanilla to name a few. Really smooth mouth feel and not a hint of the 11% avb. The best stout I ever drank, it was so balanced and rich.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Split this bottle as a part of my friend's bachelor party.

Appearence is amazing. Jet black with two fingers of brown sedimented head.

Smell is a mix of vanilla, cocoa, and a hint of spice.

taste is a blend of cocoa, excellent dark malt, a hint of vanilla, with chilli spiciness lingering at the end. exceptionally complex and all the flavors are tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Not syrupy at all as some stouts can get.

Smooth and drinkable, but the super complex flavor profile makes me very content with only 1-2 servings.

thanks again to my sister for picking this up on her trip to florida.

4.69/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours raven black in the glass. I was expecting much more heat on this one, something similar to that of Mexican Cake. I was pleasantly surprised by its smoothness. Perhaps it was due to the fact that the bottle had been aged (2014); nevertheless, I was pleased. Chocolate dominates the palate, though hints of cinnamon and pepper undertones fight for some recognition. Mouthfeel was silky smooth. Overall, I am pleased with this one. Wish I had more.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Cracked my first bomber of Hunahpu's last night, consumed from my DFH snifter glass. I thought this beer might be contaminated at first, as there was some light seepage during shipping. Turns out it was just filled to the top, but was still good.

A- Black as night, and very oil looking. Coats the inside of the glass with a chocolate brown film. Pours a nice healthy head, probably a finger or two. The head is dark brown, with almost a ruby red tinge to it.

S- Smells of toasted malts primarily to me. Has some noticeable scents of chilli's and chocolate as well. I also get some slightly caramel aromas as well.

T- Tastes amazing. Starts with the taste of a very smooth and robust stout, transitions to a delicious chocolatey flavor, and the perfect balance of hops on the back end. Some of these chocolate beers tend to over-do it a bit, but this one is a great blend.

M- I expected this to be a lot more overpowering on the mouthfeel due to appearance. However, it is very nice and tolerable. Not too thick, and certainly not as oily as it looks in the glass.

D- Due to the very tolerable mouthfeel, the drinkability is high. The 10.5% is barely noticeable, and I housed my first glass very quickly. After I finished the bottle, I probably could have had more...

Overall, an very excellent beer and lived up to the hype IMO. A very drinkable, and well balanced RIS.

** Update** After having this beer a few more times, I really feel like it is probably one of my favoriote beers. Amazingly good, and so drinkable. If you can find some, GET IT!

Looked amazing. Poured like used motor oil, no light coming through this one. Large head on it. Smelled a little boozy with some dark fruit. Could taste chocolate with the vanilla added to it, along with a very strong cinnamon presence.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

A - This beer defines black. The head alone is darker than most stouts. Absolutely amazing head retention and lacing. The best appearance I have seen on a stout yet.

S - Chocolate is the first thing that comes out to me, followed up by some dark roasted malts and coffee. Chile, and vanilla are there as well, just not as strong. Maybe even a hint of dark fruits in there as well. Very complex aroma full of a big diversity of smells.

T - Wow. You will never have a beer like this one. As complex as the aroma was, this is more. Balance of flavors completely shifts. Chile and roasted malts, coupled with chocolate and vanilla backing it up. Cinnamon, some more citrus-like fruit as well as the dark fruit (maybe dark cherry).

M - Not as thick as the pour indicates, but man this is still thick. Smooth as silk too. No alcohol noticeable, finish is sweet, slightly drying and leaves you with a sweet chocolate chile taste.

O - This is by far the best beer I have had. I am struggling to find a flaw so that this isn't straight 5's. I can't find much wrong with it. The aroma is deeply complex and perfectly balanced, the taste changes exactly as it needs to so as to keep you interested and stays just as complex and balanced. The mouthfeel is the only thing I can find a flaw in with the thin-ness of the body, but even that is still amazing.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this is a 2011 bottle?

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

opened at a tasting by ejyoung.

A: pours out a thick, opaque black with a brown head. the head looks very creamy.

S: smells of dark chocolate, roasted malt, burnt sugar, dark fruits. I get a little chili in the nose with hints of vanilla.

T: lost of dark chocolate and roasted malt. burnt sugar and some coffee, with a little chili and vanilla. a good balance of chili in this beer. not overwhelming.

M: thick and creamy.

D: this is a very drinkable beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

HUGE thanks to chris for this, been looking for this for a while. It totally lived up to the hype.

A- Jet black with a decent dark tan head. Head recedes slowly but surely into a ring. Stains the fucking glass its so viscus.

S- Oh wow! Smells fucking incredible! You can smell everything in its place, the chiles, the coco, the vanilla, and of course the cinnamon gives a great complexity.

T- This beer is incredible! So much complexity, but everything is very balanced. You get everything and it all has its place and none of it is ove-rbaring at all. Truly awesome flavor.

M- For something so big and bold it goes down so easy its scary.

O- Easily one of my all time favorites, blew me away.

3.86/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2012 bottle poured into surly darkness glass.
Pours a thick dark dark brown like good black licorice with a half finger tan/mocha head that left slight soapy lacing and the beer itself coated the glass with a light brown coating.
The smell is great. You get nice loads of chocolate, slight vanilla, nilla wafers, graham crackers, earthy hops, cinnamon toast crunch and some chilies.
Taste is interesting nice bitter coffee, roasted malt, dark chocolate, slight graham cracker and loads of chilies and earthy hops on the finish. Wish the taste was as amazing as the smell.
The mouthfeel was lighter than I had hoped but that might have been the chilies that changed my palate. Slightly too much heat on the finish for me but it did make it easier to drink the bottle all by myself, it would have been tough if it was sweet and cloying.
Overall q good beer that has the most complex smell and a different taste from other stouts. Don't think I need to actively seek out though, I've had it twice now and would like to try a barrel aged treatment to compare.

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%

2011 vintage poured at cellar temperature.

A: Deep brown with 2 finger reddish/brown head. Good lacing present.

S: Chocolate and chili pepper.

T: Immediate intense chocolate chili flavors that give way to dark chocolate notes. Slight heat left in the throat as it goes down.

M: Perfect! Thick and chewy. Well carbonated.

O: Near-perfect. In my top 10 all-time.

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

Black color that pours like motor oil. Nice dark brown head that lasted a few seconds and disappeared, but left some nice lacing behind. Aroma of loads of roasted malts, chocolate, sweet vanilla, light cinnamon, more spiciness. Flavor is sweet, vanilla upfront, hard roasted malts, lots of bitter chocolate and milk chocolate, a hint of cinnamon, slight peppery burn on the tongue, roasted bitter finish. Full bodied, prickly but smooth and fat mouthfeel. One of the most unique Imperial stouts I've ever tried.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Motor oil black pour that's coats the glass like it really is crude oil. Small brown head. The aroma is soy sauce, dark fruit, some slight chillies, big bitter dark chocolate and lots of background smokiness. The flavor adds in a big espresso body with a hint of cinnamon. Viscous, oily, full body with low carbonation.

4.26/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Pours a viscous black ink that a dark chocolate head rises from, sheet stays, some webs.

S - Roasted malts, coffee, tobacco, chocolate, smokey ancho, slight vanilla and alcohol warmth.

T - This is a pretty complex beer that definitely needs to reach the correct drinking temp. Starts with chocolate sweetness, mid palate slight cinnamon, which fades into the eventual super roasted finish that reminds me of a good cup of black coffee.

M/D - The mouthfeel is perfect, think and oily with the right amount of carbonation to help it over your tongue. Drinkability only suffers for me due to the amount of roasted malts. This beer would be great with a chocolate ancho cake, but might be overkill.

Pours a 1 finger thick beautiful mocha head dissipates to form a solid ring around my ccb snifter and stays throughout the drink. It has an aroma of strong dark chocolate with coffee in the background. It tastes of chocolate up front, coffee and vanilla notes with a finishing burn from the alcohol then from the peppers. This beer is so complex I am tasting something different each time I try it. Hunahpus is the greatest beer I've ever had, so complex and so delicious!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing