Maduro Brown Ale

SCORE
Very Good
Maduro Brown AleMaduro Brown Ale
Notes: Formerly Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale

Maduro is a Northern English-style Brown Ale with some American affectations. Higher in alcohol than the common English Brown Ale, the beer features flaked oats in the malt bill which imparts a silky body and works to mesh its roasted, toasted and chocolate components together. The end result is a remarkably full-flavored yet approachable Brown Ale that pairs well with mild to medium cigars.

Reviews: 865 | Ratings: 3,145 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by smbslt:
smbslt from Illinois

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

Dark brown liquid, fizzy, soft drink like coarse head which disappeared almost immediately. No subsequent release of carbonation and no lacing.

Very roasted smells and tastes of bittersweet chocolate consistent with color.

Full feel with a slight carbonation release.

Certainly an American take on the style.

Jan 29, 2020
Lingenbrau from Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Maduro seems to have a lot to live up to, and if it's appearance is any indication of how good it is, we're off to a great start. The clean and deep espresso brown body flaunts shimmers of crimson and hazelnut, and wears a proud crown of lightly tanned foam. Once settled, it forms into a crescent moon over half the surface, with mounds scattered across. Sadly, it doesn't leave one spec on the side of my glass.

As advertised, notes of coffee and toffee emerge through the liquid below. More importantly for me, a wonderful element of toasted unspecified nuts, and light traces of chocolate are first and foremost. It finishes with light bursts of vanilla, and hints of an iron/metallic aroma.

One sip, and I'm convinced. This is delicious. Again dominated by roasted nuts. Walnut more specifically this time, but salted and drizzled with caramel and chocolate then toasted in the oven. Only the faintest hint of that metallic aroma comes through in the flavor, but seems more to me as if it's taken form of peanut skins, and a light roast coffee is present from beginning to end.

Smooth and creamy doesn't often describe a brown ale, but it does for Maduro. Balanced, perhaps a tad sweet but plays well off the roasted character. A decent amount of medium carbonation helps both it's creamy start and bubbly and slightly dry finish.

Maduro is one of the finest brown ales I have ever had, and I'll stand by that claim. Bold, complex, and delicious enough to savor, yet I know I wouldn't have a hard time killing off quite a few in one outing. Wonderful brew. Cheers.

Mar 22, 2018
Bowers-Brew from Illinois

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Don't agree that this is an under 4/5 beer. Although I guess it is just barely under 4... Very smooth and great balance. It's especially good considering the low ABV. Prost!

Nov 17, 2019
bmeehan from Pennsylvania

3.35/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Solid coffee tasting beer from a kick-ass brewery. I'm not personally a coffee drinker and I don't always like beers that have this kind of profile, but this isn't too strong. It's deep brown, but the smell and the taste don't overpower.

Dec 15, 2014
AndrewMichael from Virginia

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

During my vacation trip to Florida, I was very eager to get my hands on some Cigar City beers, as we only get a few in VA.
12 oz can poured into a cylinder glass.
Dark brown color, nice head on the beer.
Nice hints of chocolate and espresso, flavors I commonly find in porters and stouts.
This is an outstanding brown ale.

Apr 03, 2016
zac16125 from South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz can into a pint glass
bottle on 12-10-13

A: Dark brown, opaque, 2 fingers width of light tan head, pretty good retention, but leaves effectively no lacing.

S: Dark roasted malts, heavy cream, char, chocolate malt.

T: Follows the nose with cream and roasted malt. A good amount of bakers chocolate, some herbaceous notes, and mild bitterness. Tasty.

M/D: Medium body, carbonation on the heavy side but appropriate, drinkability is good.

O: Not my favorite style, but quite an enjoyable beer. Certainly worth a try.

Mar 15, 2014
teromous from Virginia

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%

The bottom of the can reads: Canned 03/04/16

Appearance: It pours brown but appears completely black in the glass. Even when held to the light it is completely opaque. The head is short and has a medium yellow tint. Not much head retention or lacing.

Aroma: There is a light coffee aroma to the beer with a distinct roasted scent. It does remind me a bit of a cigar aroma.

Taste: There is a light toffee flavor that blends with a bit of coffee. It is slightly nutty. There isn't any aftertaste to the beer. It has a nice starting flavor and then it just goes away quickly leaving nothing on the palate.

Mouthfeel: The beer doesn't linger on the palate at all. The beer just doesn't deliver the flavor very well. The mouthfeel is light and the beer is very drinkable but it could use some actual presence.

Overall: It's the usual "okay but I probably wouldn't buy it again" experience. On the positive side it is very drinkable and I doubt you will find anyone who will have a problem with the beer being too heavy or too strong in any particular flavors. It's just an all around safe beer to bring to a party or a gathering. It's not typically something I would keep around though. It just doesn't have a very pronounced flavor and at just over three weeks in the can I would have expected more flavor.

Mar 28, 2016
MrRockstar from Pennsylvania

Oct 23, 2012
mattmarka1 from Minnesota

Jan 13, 2014
ChrisPro from Illinois

4.19/5  rDev +6.3%

Blind beer #5 as part of Blind BIF #3 thanks to mtunnell.

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip.

pours a murky bud color with an off-white bubbly head that dissipates quickly.

First things to hit the nose are maple, coffee and molasses. Definitely some hints of roasted nuts. As it warms, there is some spice that I can't place...nutmeg? allspice?

The first taste really reminds me of something; I feel like I've definitely had this beer before. Just a light coffee and burnt caramel flavor, followed by a dry roasted nut finish. Possibly a little cinnamon.

Carbonation is light and small, and this is a medium-bodied beer. Definitely some butter/oil finishing on the tongue, but I really enjoy this in the beer.

Overall, insanely drinkable. I feel like I could put this away in seconds since it goes down so easy and leaves such a great little light caramel aftertaste.

Overall, seems like a lightly spiced brown ale and it reminds me of something like Dick's Double Diamond or GD Hibernation.

Time for the reveal...Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale

Wow, definitely have had this beer and love it. I never picked up on the spiciness before, so loved tasting this blind. The beer got better in mind.

To rate to style:

3.5/4.5/4.0/4.0/4.5

Dec 15, 2010
thepenguin from Massachusetts

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours a very dark opaque brown with an ample creamy off-white head. Leaves a good rim of foam around the edges of the glass.

S: Toasty, nutty and fairly malty – about perfect for the style. A mild vinous note with some rich dried cocoa.

T: Following the nose, this beer is toasty and rich. Doughy malt, caramel, nuts, slight roastyness and a mild sherry note. Fairly quick malty, toasty finish.

F: Medium-plus body with medium carbonation and a slightly creamy yet drying mouthfeel.

Overall: One of the best brown ales in the game. Great lush body for the style, yet incredibly drinkable. Light and accessible enough to start a session – rich and complex enough to finish one.

Feb 16, 2016
ummswimmin from New Jersey

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

We don't get Cigar City in New Jersey, but when I visited Florida I picked up a few of their offerings. They have a great reputation for being the best brewer in Florida. I was so excited to try this beer, that I shipped it back to New Jersey.

I like the way this brown looks. It is brown with a little bit of redness to it. You get a couple fingers of foam on top.

It smells good. I smell malt and tobacco in the aroma. It makes for a pretty good smelling brown.

This is a very drinkable brown. The malt flavor is very good. I could drink this all day.

I recommend picking up this brown. It is a very good get.

Jan 28, 2012
greencovesteve from North Carolina

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dec 30, 2015

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Jul 05, 2014
Kevin67 from Arkansas

3.54/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jun 08, 2016
laxer8811 from New York

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

Dec 07, 2012
theboozecruise from Louisiana

3.31/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

It's a brown color with a huge head. It's got great retention and lacing, good looking beer.

It's a malty brown ale flavor with definite hints of cigar.

The flavor is even stronger with cigar flavors and a malt base. It's a little metallic and thin for my taste but the cigar flavors keep it interesting.

It's an okay beer, but I don't need more.

Sep 18, 2011
Katahdin from Pennsylvania

4.72/5  rDev +19.8%

A very nice interpretation of a traditional American Brown Ale. The Oatmeal flavor add sa bit of chewiness to it and gives the beer a nice stick to the ribs type taste. I found it a plesant beer to sip on a cool fall evening. It is filling but not in a bloating type way. An enjoyable experience.

Nov 12, 2009
gopens44 from Virginia

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Admittedly not a huge brown ale fan, and this lackluster headed opaque fellow is producing the same "meh" feelings. Thankfully the nose is rescuing me, as I'm getting vanilla, chocolate, leather and a touch of caramel. We'll the taste is just dandy I must say. Everything in the nose plus some muted earthy hops that balances out the sweetness produced by the vanilla and chocolate tones.

Nov 26, 2015