Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale | Cigar City Brewing

Maduro Oatmeal Brown AleMaduro Oatmeal Brown Ale

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: English Brown Ale

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009

Reviews: 614 | Ratings: 1,981
4.55/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I always start my reviews of brown ales by mentioning how I don't like the style so much, but then I always seem to give the beer at least a 4.1. A quick glance at my review history backs this up; browns might be one of my most highly scored categories...

What did browns do to me? Is it because I expect them to be bland? Why?

This ain't bland. This is as far from boilerplate as you can get. It smells kind of a like a dulled out version of a good, dry RIS. You get the same vinous aroma, same surprisingly big dry hop bitterness. Only it's tame. There's no burn.

Tastes less intense than it smells, but more pleasantly rough. You got some nutty and chocolately nodes up front, moving into rough and lightly sour oatmeal and bitter barley middle, finishing on a lightly vinous taste of tobacco, caramel, and peat moss. Fantabulous.

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%

Sampled on tap at the Ravenous Pig; January 2011
The beer is a nice red brown color that shows a clear, deep red hue when held up to the light. The beer is topped by a frothy, pale browned, tan colored head. The nose has a hint of roast character that contributes a definite nuttiness to the nose. It is sweet and malty with a caramel, almost butterscotch like note to it. There is also a hint of herbal hop character to the beer. The fruity aromatics are boosted as the beer warms; it is more berry like (but almost reminds me of brandy at times), but still the brown, toasted whole grain malt character is the central focus of the aroma. The nose of this beer is really nice, I could smell this beer for quite some time.

The flavor has a nutty character to it as well as a touch of roast character in the finish; this last even lingers a bit on the palate after a sip. This has a prickly carbonation as well as a carbonic bite to it in the finish. This has a big, malty, caramel sweetness to it that never gets to be too much. This has a medium’ish body to it that is chewy, but it is still quite quaffable and I can see this pairing quite well with food. The hop character supports the dominant malt character with a firm bitterness and a hint of an herbal edge that gets a bit earthy at times. The spicy caramel corn that is served at The Pig dries out this beer significantly and accentuates the roast malt character a bit. I actually liked the flavor a bit better before the caramel corn. This is actually fairly hoppy for traditional brown ale, but it works really well here as the malt character is quite big. The dark, not quite roasted, caramel malt notes form up the base character in the middle of this beer, which supports all the other flavors that are here.

This beer is really nice; I like the malty brown ale that this is. It is definitely hoppy, but it plays only a supporting role and I could drink a whole lot of this beer; I think I might like this beer as much as I do the Jai Alai. Knowing Joey’s preferences in beer, I can definitely see his hand in this beer; I know he likes a good brown ale. So do I, and this one definitely hits the spot; it is one of the best brown ales I have had in quite some time.

On-tap.

Pours brown with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of strongly toasted malt, milk chocolate, toffee, and hints of tobacco.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Rich toasted malt flavors up front are joined quickly by mild amounts of toffee and trace amounts of milk chocolate. Midway through the sip hints of tobacco enter into things and carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this remains one of the better brown ales I remember having. Well worth a shot if you can get your hands on it.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

I'm in FLorida on business and I've been terribly sad about the beer offerings. Turns out that I was looking in the wrong place. The lobby bar in my hotel has 7 or 8 Florida brews on hand.

I'm a malt guy so I picked the brown ale - this one.

I poured it slowly - so it had about a finger of nice, firm, long lasting head - slightly cream colored. The smell is warm, malty and sweet - and matches the flavor nicely.

The oats really do their work in this beer - spectacular mouth feel. The sweet malty oilyness sticks with you.

I'm really impressed. It's lightly hopped - just enough to balance, but this is a very malt-forward beer.

I'm a newcomer to Florida craft brewing - but if this is how they do it down here I'm a fan.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

Quite pleased to have had a healthy UK pint of this at Prohibition Taproom in Philly.

Dark and dirty, topped with dense, creamy, off-tan head.

Bitter, roasted, dark coffee thing going on with the aroma - all fairly potent and nicely balanced. It didn't have to beg to be drunk.

Exceptional flavor profile. Strong bitter up front and in charge, but also an awesome rich cocoa/milk chocolate foundation. Decadent.

Had the feel of a robust porter with a tiny shot of chocolate milk/Irish cream. I maybe would've toned down the bitter just a hair. Love the fact that the ABV is low and almost undetectable. Easily could've downed a handful in one sitting, and probably should've.

Great brew. But, boys, you must change some things about that website. Like, all of it.

4.51/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a growler filled with nitro into a pint glass. Awwww yeah, this is gonna be awesome.

A- pours a nice dark brown with a 2 finger mocha colored head. Laces beautifully, head is nice and puffy. I love the color so much!

S- hints of nuttiness, with some roasted malts and maybe some cinnamon. A little subdued, but very nice regardless.

T- roasted malts, nuttiness, a hint of molasses. Getting a lot of smokiness too...this is amazing. Best tasting brown ale I've run into.

M- feel is good. Nice thickness to it, with a decent bit of carbonation. Some browns can be too thin, but this one has a good body to it.

D- very enjoyable brown ale. The oatmeal adds a real nice depth to it that I've never really gotten off of a brown ale. I want more, dammit.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into my pint glass, this brown ale pours a dark brown with little redish orange highlights. The two inch head has no problem leaving some nice lacing.

S: The nose contains hints of nut, oatmeal, chocolate. Surprisingly this brew is dominate chocolate with nut highlights.

T: Finally, a brown ale that isn't watered down, is complex, and overall is rich and satisfying. Chocolate dominate, with hazel nut highlights backed up by toffee and some oatmeal.

MF: Mouthfeel is a little light, but is smooth and what to be expected of a brown.

D: Drink is excellent. This is the right beer at the right ABV.

Overall, I first tried this brew about a month ago at a brewfest. Maduro is tied with Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale as my absolute favorite brown. Seriously, this brew almost takes the cake.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

A- A dark creamy Brown color.

S- Oatmeal and caramel notes.

T- Oatmeal and caramel and chocolate notes all around.

M- Very creamy and smooth like the milk mash left over from eating a bowl of oatmeal.

D- This is my first Cigar City. Pretty tasty. Need more. Try some.

Cheers..

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

I am sorry but this is an absolutly wonderful beer. This was my first taste of Cigar City, and I assure you I will be going back for many, many more. Growler was served chilled and poured into a pint glass.

What a wonderful rich pour. Deep dark brown in color with a wonderful tan head on top. Very nice robust look to it, almost a cedar hue to it. The aroma was a big suprise. Rich cocoa and hints of roasted malts. Touches of caramel as well as a light tobacco touch to it. Really huge brown ale here. Smooth, mellow carbonation, rich, creamy profile with each sip having to be savored time, and time again. Lots of rich caramel malts wash across the tongue with the very first sip, and so it begins as the smooth, mellow cocoa notes start to come together and mixed with a light, earthy bitter hoppiness, this was by far the richest taste I could have imagined in a brown ale.

Overall blown away would not be a fair description, more like simply mind numbingly good. I cannot wait to dive into the rest of the lineup!

4.49/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

App. - Pours black (amber in direct light). Has a thin head. 3.5/5

Aroma - Woody and roasty. Earthy and almost tobacco-like smell. Rich and dense. Very nice. 4.5/5

Taste - Follows the aroma well. Woody and rich. A tad smoky. Roasty. Big on malty flavors. Minimal hop flavor except for a little earthiness. I can see why they say this accompanies a cigar. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel - Smooth almost has a chewiness. Exceptional. 5/5

Drinkability - Tastiness keeps it going down! 4.5/5

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Enjoyed this stellar beer at a conference in Ft Myers and later in the week at a cigar bar in Key West. Rich brown color with a wonderful mouthfeel and a long finish. There was a nice undertone of smokiness in this ale that made it perfect with a cigar. The only bad thing I have to say is that I am disappointed to not be able to get it in Pittsburgh.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Couldn't ask for much more out of a standard distribution brown ale. It is not a special release or a seasonal or anything else hyped up but it is consistently delicious and my go to beer around the house. Every sip has a caramel-chocolate sweetness to it that isn't overpoweringly sweet. I don't feel like I'm drinking a dessert. The smell may be my favorite part. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but I love that first smell before I taste it.

Thanks and Cheers

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

This brew pours a reddish brown with a very slight amount of white/tan head. The carbonation seems sparse, almost nonexistent. The smell is light and creamy, from the oatmeal I imagine. There is also a smell of roasted bread crust through the malt blend.

Glug glug glug

The flavor is much bolder than the smell. The body is smooth and soft with a sweet and toasty malt blend of multigrain bread and chocolate. Something like a mild jam flavor comes in towards the end as well. Over all this is a very tasty and drinkable brown ale that only benefits from its oatmeal IMO. The oatmeal and malt linger on the tongue. I wish this was kegged and more available in GA.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap 6/25/09 at Coasters Pub in Melbourne, FL.

This is the third Cigar City beer I've had; the first two being Jai Alai IPA and Bolita Double Brown Ale. Both of which are impressive brews.

This one pours with a translucent mahogany body and a finger's worth of khacki-colored foam that does a decent enough job of clinging to the side of the glass.

Smell is roasty, caramelly with a touch of fruitiness. I'm guessing this beer will have some personality to it.

Oh, yeah, very nice. Well-rounded taste. A bit sweet up front that moves into some balancing bitterness and then ends with a coffee-like finish. I don't think I'd want to mess with this flavor. If all American Browns were this flavorful and well rounded it would be a more popular style. Really nice full mouthfeel on this one, too. This is a solid beer and well worth trying out.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a very dark mahogany color. There is some light penetration and if enough gets in you get a lot of orange in it. Nice tightly bubbled head, not a big pile of foam. Good lacing.
Smell is roasted malt, cocoa, coffee, wet cardboard.
Taste is toasty malt, bittersweet chocolate, coffee and a slight cardboard note. Light oatmeal.
Medium/full body with a light effervescence. A nicely balanced dark chocolate / roasted malt aftertaste lingers for a long time without being annoying or displaying any harshness. A really well-rounded brew. No wonder they use it as the base for so many others.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

A remarkable surprise and an excellent beer for cooler weather - it's like a holiday baking session in a bottle.

Pours deep brown with a sticky off white head. The aroma is earthy and spicy with a lot of cinnamon. The flavor is rich and complex, earthy and spicy and herbal, with cinnamon and sage and rosemary and wood. There's even some lovely gingerbread. The mouthfeel is prickly with a rich malt burn down the throat.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

poured into a pint glass, nice deep brown color. decent head with decent lacing. all and all pretty good.

nose is pretty earthy with some chocolate, coffee, burnt toast, caramel. pretty nice.

taste has a big coffee/dark chocolate flavor throughout touch of sweetness in the end. , somewhat creamy as well. not at all acrid. a slight amount of bitterness rounds out this beer. probably the best american brown ale i've ever had.

mouthfeel is medium bodied but has a nice creaminess from the oats. it's really easy to drink, probably the best session beer i've ever had.

best american brown i've ever had, it's worth seeking out for sure. flavorful, sessionable, overall a joy to drink.

Pefect Brown ale!

appearance: deep dark brown color

smell: mild hops, slight coffee, nice tabbco aroma

taste: beautiful, mild bitterness, rich flavor, coffee notes and a huge helping of tobacco flavor. seems to be an ingreidient.

mouthfeel: good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: I could have a nice session with these and it would pair well with food/dinner

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up at random; had never had anything from Cigar City before. What a pleasant surprise! From a 12 oz bottle into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!), it pours a rich reddish brown color with lots of carbonation. Even a careful pour yields a towering head of brownish-tan foam which sticks around well into the glass. Impressive nose with notes of oak and vanilla right up front. Very sweet and slightly medicinal with hints of dark fruit. A bit of "cherry lambic" on the nose. In the mouth, more oaky vanilla and raisins or plums along with woody malt. Very complex flavor--totally BLOWS AWAY my expectations for a "brown ale." Finishes on a slightly sweet malty note. Mouth is watery but somewhat chewy; steadily precipitating carbonation also keeps things crisp. Drinkability is very good; though there are big vanilla/oak/sweet malt flavors, the whole of it is subtle enough to enjoy several of these, and the 5.5% ABV is appreciated.

Overall: OK, I was seriously taken off guard by this one. I spotted a Brooklyn Brown, which I enjoy but which has become oddly hard to find in my neck of the woods. Maduro is NOTHING like Brooklyn Brown or a "traditional" brown (much less English). It's closer to Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron take on the "American" brown, except sans the 12% ABV. Delicious, drinkable, and at the 8.99/sixer price I found it at, a definite new go-to brew for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

pours a moderately deep brown, some reddish highlights when held to the light, and good clarity. Tan head is creamy, exhibits better than decent retention, and leaves some lace in its wake. Nice looking beer.

smells toasty, slight cocoa powder and richer chocolate. background caramel and a darker sort of toffee, mild yeast notes. Nice, moderately rich, clean. Light alcohol aroma as it warms and what seems to be a light herbal/flowery hop aroma. Enticing.

Sweet malt up front, then toasty and increasingly roasted until a dry roasty flavor finishes and lasts into the aftertaste. No hop flavor, but the smooth hop bitterness manages to seem a bit spicy. Moderate depth of flavor and easy-drinking, increased by the dry finish. Not too sweet or rich, but far from thin.

no astringency and generally pleasant across the palate, moderately high carb for style but nothing too crazy. This bottled example lacks the ridiculous smooth body of the version I had on tap a week or two ago, but is still a very solid beer nonetheless. Little to no alcohol warmth.

great stuff I'd revisit any day. Thanks Wayne!

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a deep mahogany brown with a small 1/2 finger greyish-brown head. Decent lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt with semisweet chocolate, coffee and a faint hint of pineapple from the hops and just a touch of mustiness.

Taste: Roasted malt and dark bread up front followed by caramel, nuts and grains in the middle then a nice hoppy bite at the finish. Aftertaste is burnt toast.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Goes down very smooth.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability. You could knock back a few of these without any trouble.

Overall: This is an excellent American Brown Ale. I'm yet to be disappointed with Cigar City. This is one of the best brown ales I've had. It's typically not one of my favorite styles, but I'll be buying more of this soon.

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark muddy brown with a light tan head.

Smells of chocolate, oats, and roasted malt.

Taste is chocolate up front with a burnt caramel middle, roasted malt with a touch of herbal hop bitterness. Mouth feel is largely a malt bomb with a lively carbonation. .

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

We just got Cigar City at my store and I have heard lots of good things about this one. Pours a dark chocolate brown with a massive tan head that sits on top of the beer like a crown. Smell is rich and inviting with hints of dark chocolate and hazelnut. The taste is divine with a silky smooth almost zero carbonation flavor blast. This is more of a porter than a nut brown. Layers and layers of velvety malt wash over the tonuge. What a brew!

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Big thanks to kButler for this "extra" in our in-person trade @ D-Day. Glad I had a can of Daisy Cutter to toss his way for this. Been dying to crack this one open.

By style:

[L] Maduro pours a rich brown color into glass. Caramel towards bottom of glass. It appears to be non-clear, with ruby edges, and a gorgeous tan/brown top. Even the slightest swirl kicks up a good amount of foam. Laces the glass well.

[S] Beautiful nose of nuts, oats, caramel, chocolate, creamed coffee. Solid brown aroma. No stale notes either, as I'm not sure how old this is. At least a month in the fridge before this.

[T] Damn delicious beer. Upfront taste of caramel and some malty sweetness. Mid body presents chocolate, coffee and oatmeal, before more oats and coffee on finish. Roasty linger. Hits just about all you could expect for a brown.

[F] Feels pretty watery, but for the amount of flavor packed into such a light bodied beer, I can't complain. Carbonation is perfect. Finishes only a slight bitter.

[D] This beer is the definition of drinkability in the ABA category. Not sugary, nor hoppy. Not boring. Not boozy. Not a palate killer. Not filling. Easy going, and flavorful enough to keep you interested in the nuances over a few bottles. Not sure how this is packaged, but a 6 pack + wouldn't be out of the question. In the same market, this would probably be up there with BBB.

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

A pint on tap at kraftwork.

A- comes my way with a perfect finger and a half of tan head that rises above the glass and holds nicely till I take my first sip. Good job bartendress. Head settles after the first sip and leaves a thin tan skin on top and s few spots of cascading lace. The body is a murky dark brown with a slight orange brown glow at the edges, but it is kinda dark in here.

S- opens up surprisingly fruity with an underlying roast and a bit of a sweet creamy hit. A toasted nuttiness creeeps up with some warming and really rounds things out.

T- again this start out with some fruity esters that bring to mind a bit of cherry and then rolls into a clear creamy oatmeal hit and finishes with a deep roasted malt finish. Beautiful progression of flavor. Some brunt brown sugar and dark bread swim in and out at times. Long slow roasty finish.

M- a bit above medium in body and a solid small bubbled yet very bright carb.

D- this shit is the bomb. Paired amazingly with the city's best char board in my opinion. Low abv and chock a block with layer upon layer of flavor. Well done cc.

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale from Cigar City Brewing