Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009

Reviews: 717 | Ratings: 2,650
4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

It was our annual trip to Tampa...the night before THE BUCKEYE CRUISE AGAINST CANCER!!!! The better half and I walked a couple of blocks down from our hotel and found a wonderful sport to taste numerous different brews. The first beer I tried, thank to the suggestion of our server...Maduro Oatmeal Brown...WOW. I am not a brown fan....but this was quite nice!! The color was a rich cloudy brown. Teh nose inclued a sweet chocolate, malt and coffee. This of course fed into the taste of the beer which was rich malty chocolate and caramel, with coffee undertones. I could drink this....wait for it....give it to me Lionel...ALL NIGHT LONG!!!!

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a growler into my New Belgium globe.

A - Deep, dark brown with a creamy khaki tan head. Nice.

S - Rich roasted nuts, cocoa powder, vanilla.

T - Follows the nose nicely. Sweet roasted malts, nuts, cocoa.
Maybe a bit of smoke.

M - Smooth and creamy with a medium body. Medium carbonation, zero ABV.

D - Wow! I could drink this all day every day! One of the smoothest beers I've ever had, my growler went way too fast. Easily the best Brown Ale I've ever had, great job Cigar City!

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%

Growler filled at the brewery 2 days ago -- also had a few pints at the brewery.

a - pours deep dark brown with a two-finger mocha head, good retention and lacing, fairly hazy

s - big roasty and nutty malt aroma mixed with floral, slightly citrusy hops

t - balanced up front with intense nutty and citrus flavors, midpalate has some caramel mixed in with the hop resins, finish is slightly dry but well balanced, some nuttiness and hop bitterness lingers on the palate, very light caramel, alcohol not noticeable at all

m - medium-bodied, even from the growler, on the higher side of carbonation, well balanced finish, not much alcohol warming

d - incredibly drinkable, well balanced, complex and interesting, easy on the palate, the whole package

The only ABA I've had that compares to this is Bender, which I think is very similar. Very well done, CCB!

4.55/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I always start my reviews of brown ales by mentioning how I don't like the style so much, but then I always seem to give the beer at least a 4.1. A quick glance at my review history backs this up; browns might be one of my most highly scored categories...

What did browns do to me? Is it because I expect them to be bland? Why?

This ain't bland. This is as far from boilerplate as you can get. It smells kind of a like a dulled out version of a good, dry RIS. You get the same vinous aroma, same surprisingly big dry hop bitterness. Only it's tame. There's no burn.

Tastes less intense than it smells, but more pleasantly rough. You got some nutty and chocolately nodes up front, moving into rough and lightly sour oatmeal and bitter barley middle, finishing on a lightly vinous taste of tobacco, caramel, and peat moss. Fantabulous.

4.54/5  rDev +15.2%

Sampled on tap at the Ravenous Pig; January 2011
The beer is a nice red brown color that shows a clear, deep red hue when held up to the light. The beer is topped by a frothy, pale browned, tan colored head. The nose has a hint of roast character that contributes a definite nuttiness to the nose. It is sweet and malty with a caramel, almost butterscotch like note to it. There is also a hint of herbal hop character to the beer. The fruity aromatics are boosted as the beer warms; it is more berry like (but almost reminds me of brandy at times), but still the brown, toasted whole grain malt character is the central focus of the aroma. The nose of this beer is really nice, I could smell this beer for quite some time.

The flavor has a nutty character to it as well as a touch of roast character in the finish; this last even lingers a bit on the palate after a sip. This has a prickly carbonation as well as a carbonic bite to it in the finish. This has a big, malty, caramel sweetness to it that never gets to be too much. This has a medium’ish body to it that is chewy, but it is still quite quaffable and I can see this pairing quite well with food. The hop character supports the dominant malt character with a firm bitterness and a hint of an herbal edge that gets a bit earthy at times. The spicy caramel corn that is served at The Pig dries out this beer significantly and accentuates the roast malt character a bit. I actually liked the flavor a bit better before the caramel corn. This is actually fairly hoppy for traditional brown ale, but it works really well here as the malt character is quite big. The dark, not quite roasted, caramel malt notes form up the base character in the middle of this beer, which supports all the other flavors that are here.

This beer is really nice; I like the malty brown ale that this is. It is definitely hoppy, but it plays only a supporting role and I could drink a whole lot of this beer; I think I might like this beer as much as I do the Jai Alai. Knowing Joey’s preferences in beer, I can definitely see his hand in this beer; I know he likes a good brown ale. So do I, and this one definitely hits the spot; it is one of the best brown ales I have had in quite some time.

On-tap.

Pours brown with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of strongly toasted malt, milk chocolate, toffee, and hints of tobacco.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Rich toasted malt flavors up front are joined quickly by mild amounts of toffee and trace amounts of milk chocolate. Midway through the sip hints of tobacco enter into things and carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a solid thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this remains one of the better brown ales I remember having. Well worth a shot if you can get your hands on it.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

I'm in FLorida on business and I've been terribly sad about the beer offerings. Turns out that I was looking in the wrong place. The lobby bar in my hotel has 7 or 8 Florida brews on hand.

I'm a malt guy so I picked the brown ale - this one.

I poured it slowly - so it had about a finger of nice, firm, long lasting head - slightly cream colored. The smell is warm, malty and sweet - and matches the flavor nicely.

The oats really do their work in this beer - spectacular mouth feel. The sweet malty oilyness sticks with you.

I'm really impressed. It's lightly hopped - just enough to balance, but this is a very malt-forward beer.

I'm a newcomer to Florida craft brewing - but if this is how they do it down here I'm a fan.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

Quite pleased to have had a healthy UK pint of this at Prohibition Taproom in Philly.

Dark and dirty, topped with dense, creamy, off-tan head.

Bitter, roasted, dark coffee thing going on with the aroma - all fairly potent and nicely balanced. It didn't have to beg to be drunk.

Exceptional flavor profile. Strong bitter up front and in charge, but also an awesome rich cocoa/milk chocolate foundation. Decadent.

Had the feel of a robust porter with a tiny shot of chocolate milk/Irish cream. I maybe would've toned down the bitter just a hair. Love the fact that the ABV is low and almost undetectable. Easily could've downed a handful in one sitting, and probably should've.

Great brew. But, boys, you must change some things about that website. Like, all of it.

4.51/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a growler filled with nitro into a pint glass. Awwww yeah, this is gonna be awesome.

A- pours a nice dark brown with a 2 finger mocha colored head. Laces beautifully, head is nice and puffy. I love the color so much!

S- hints of nuttiness, with some roasted malts and maybe some cinnamon. A little subdued, but very nice regardless.

T- roasted malts, nuttiness, a hint of molasses. Getting a lot of smokiness too...this is amazing. Best tasting brown ale I've run into.

M- feel is good. Nice thickness to it, with a decent bit of carbonation. Some browns can be too thin, but this one has a good body to it.

D- very enjoyable brown ale. The oatmeal adds a real nice depth to it that I've never really gotten off of a brown ale. I want more, dammit.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Deep brilliant chestnut under a 2” off white foam cap that descends to a thick film. Smell: Light roast malt, chocolate aroma, dark fruit. Taste: Plum with traces of chocolate for support and hints of sour. Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium body and carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into my pint glass, this brown ale pours a dark brown with little redish orange highlights. The two inch head has no problem leaving some nice lacing.

S: The nose contains hints of nut, oatmeal, chocolate. Surprisingly this brew is dominate chocolate with nut highlights.

T: Finally, a brown ale that isn't watered down, is complex, and overall is rich and satisfying. Chocolate dominate, with hazel nut highlights backed up by toffee and some oatmeal.

MF: Mouthfeel is a little light, but is smooth and what to be expected of a brown.

D: Drink is excellent. This is the right beer at the right ABV.

Overall, I first tried this brew about a month ago at a brewfest. Maduro is tied with Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale as my absolute favorite brown. Seriously, this brew almost takes the cake.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

A- A dark creamy Brown color.

S- Oatmeal and caramel notes.

T- Oatmeal and caramel and chocolate notes all around.

M- Very creamy and smooth like the milk mash left over from eating a bowl of oatmeal.

D- This is my first Cigar City. Pretty tasty. Need more. Try some.

Cheers..

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

I am sorry but this is an absolutly wonderful beer. This was my first taste of Cigar City, and I assure you I will be going back for many, many more. Growler was served chilled and poured into a pint glass.

What a wonderful rich pour. Deep dark brown in color with a wonderful tan head on top. Very nice robust look to it, almost a cedar hue to it. The aroma was a big suprise. Rich cocoa and hints of roasted malts. Touches of caramel as well as a light tobacco touch to it. Really huge brown ale here. Smooth, mellow carbonation, rich, creamy profile with each sip having to be savored time, and time again. Lots of rich caramel malts wash across the tongue with the very first sip, and so it begins as the smooth, mellow cocoa notes start to come together and mixed with a light, earthy bitter hoppiness, this was by far the richest taste I could have imagined in a brown ale.

Overall blown away would not be a fair description, more like simply mind numbingly good. I cannot wait to dive into the rest of the lineup!

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a can medium brown with a small head that dissipates quickly with little lacing. I'd like to try a draft nitro version of this one. The aroma gives a hint of mocha and is very pleasing. The taste is , to me, what an English brown ale should be. It combines nuttiness with traces of coffee and chocolate with a low hop presence. Very drinkable

4.49/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz can poured into a teku glass, that Florida brew was purchased online.

Tasty stuff! Notes of caramel, coffee and expresso. Definitely a treat. I'll buy more from Cigar city in the future.

4.49/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

App. - Pours black (amber in direct light). Has a thin head. 3.5/5

Aroma - Woody and roasty. Earthy and almost tobacco-like smell. Rich and dense. Very nice. 4.5/5

Taste - Follows the aroma well. Woody and rich. A tad smoky. Roasty. Big on malty flavors. Minimal hop flavor except for a little earthiness. I can see why they say this accompanies a cigar. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel - Smooth almost has a chewiness. Exceptional. 5/5

Drinkability - Tastiness keeps it going down! 4.5/5

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Enjoyed this stellar beer at a conference in Ft Myers and later in the week at a cigar bar in Key West. Rich brown color with a wonderful mouthfeel and a long finish. There was a nice undertone of smokiness in this ale that made it perfect with a cigar. The only bad thing I have to say is that I am disappointed to not be able to get it in Pittsburgh.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Couldn't ask for much more out of a standard distribution brown ale. It is not a special release or a seasonal or anything else hyped up but it is consistently delicious and my go to beer around the house. Every sip has a caramel-chocolate sweetness to it that isn't overpoweringly sweet. I don't feel like I'm drinking a dessert. The smell may be my favorite part. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but I love that first smell before I taste it.

Thanks and Cheers

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

This brew pours a reddish brown with a very slight amount of white/tan head. The carbonation seems sparse, almost nonexistent. The smell is light and creamy, from the oatmeal I imagine. There is also a smell of roasted bread crust through the malt blend.

Glug glug glug

The flavor is much bolder than the smell. The body is smooth and soft with a sweet and toasty malt blend of multigrain bread and chocolate. Something like a mild jam flavor comes in towards the end as well. Over all this is a very tasty and drinkable brown ale that only benefits from its oatmeal IMO. The oatmeal and malt linger on the tongue. I wish this was kegged and more available in GA.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My second offering from Cigar City Brewing (the proverbial Mecca in FL) and I have to say, even though it might be sacrilegious to the hipster - this brew is way better than Jai-Alai.

The beer pours an almost black liquid that seems to shine along its edges. Not much of a head or staying power, or any lacing to mention. The odor provided has hints of strong coffee, caramel and some hints of chocolate. It was a very appealing aroma. The mouthfeel was superb - the best I have had in quite some time. The beer was lightly carbonated and just about as close to perfect in its smooth texture. Taste-wise I was impressed. I always highly rate a beer whose scent you can taste as well. I could definitely make out the notes of espresso and chocolate with some toffee thrown in for good measure. Overall, it was a great brown ale, possible the best I've ever had.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap 6/25/09 at Coasters Pub in Melbourne, FL.

This is the third Cigar City beer I've had; the first two being Jai Alai IPA and Bolita Double Brown Ale. Both of which are impressive brews.

This one pours with a translucent mahogany body and a finger's worth of khacki-colored foam that does a decent enough job of clinging to the side of the glass.

Smell is roasty, caramelly with a touch of fruitiness. I'm guessing this beer will have some personality to it.

Oh, yeah, very nice. Well-rounded taste. A bit sweet up front that moves into some balancing bitterness and then ends with a coffee-like finish. I don't think I'd want to mess with this flavor. If all American Browns were this flavorful and well rounded it would be a more popular style. Really nice full mouthfeel on this one, too. This is a solid beer and well worth trying out.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a very dark mahogany color. There is some light penetration and if enough gets in you get a lot of orange in it. Nice tightly bubbled head, not a big pile of foam. Good lacing.
Smell is roasted malt, cocoa, coffee, wet cardboard.
Taste is toasty malt, bittersweet chocolate, coffee and a slight cardboard note. Light oatmeal.
Medium/full body with a light effervescence. A nicely balanced dark chocolate / roasted malt aftertaste lingers for a long time without being annoying or displaying any harshness. A really well-rounded brew. No wonder they use it as the base for so many others.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

A remarkable surprise and an excellent beer for cooler weather - it's like a holiday baking session in a bottle.

Pours deep brown with a sticky off white head. The aroma is earthy and spicy with a lot of cinnamon. The flavor is rich and complex, earthy and spicy and herbal, with cinnamon and sage and rosemary and wood. There's even some lovely gingerbread. The mouthfeel is prickly with a rich malt burn down the throat.

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

poured into a pint glass, nice deep brown color. decent head with decent lacing. all and all pretty good.

nose is pretty earthy with some chocolate, coffee, burnt toast, caramel. pretty nice.

taste has a big coffee/dark chocolate flavor throughout touch of sweetness in the end. , somewhat creamy as well. not at all acrid. a slight amount of bitterness rounds out this beer. probably the best american brown ale i've ever had.

mouthfeel is medium bodied but has a nice creaminess from the oats. it's really easy to drink, probably the best session beer i've ever had.

best american brown i've ever had, it's worth seeking out for sure. flavorful, sessionable, overall a joy to drink.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pefect Brown ale!

appearance: deep dark brown color

smell: mild hops, slight coffee, nice tabbco aroma

taste: beautiful, mild bitterness, rich flavor, coffee notes and a huge helping of tobacco flavor. seems to be an ingreidient.

mouthfeel: good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: I could have a nice session with these and it would pair well with food/dinner

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale from Cigar City Brewing