Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009

Ratings: 2,685 |  Reviews: 724

Dark, but somewhat-transparent brown ale. Prepared just down the road from my home in FL at Cigar City. Poured into a standard glass. Not much head retention. Smells of chocolate, toffee, slightly biscuity and some caramel. Maybe some slight smokiness in there. CS is particular about their hop blends and I can't discern their identities particularly at such low IBU. Mouthfeel is great, as expected since this is an oatmeal brown I believe. Also brewed with cacao nibs (pre chocolate). When I think of the "ideal" brown ale, this is what I think of. Rather than just sitting on some caramel and chocolate malt while calling it a brown ale, they pull out the stops and make every aspect of drinking it a pleasure. Highly recommended.

4.86/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

Thanks to my buddy Brett in FL for sending. We cant get this in TX, and it drives me crazy.

A: Chocolate Brown pour into a dogfish head tulip glass. About 1.5 fingers of head tht quickly dissapated with a little tan lacing

S: Brown sugar, oats, caramel, tobacco, and a hint of nuttiness. I definetely thought of brown sugar oatmeal

T: This has some nice complexity- the oatmeal caries through, it has some really nice caramel nutiness, and just a little bit of musty flavor. Its obvious and impressive that the brewer had in mind a great beer to pair with a great cigar- the tobacco flavors get your palate reved up for a stogie.

M: Nice thickness to this one- medium bodied and consistent all the way down.

D: Highly drinkable, sessionable brown solid ale. Another great creation from the good folks at CCB.

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

My God I thought I was in a cigar shop, not picking this brew but picking which edition of this particular brew it is to review on this site! I'm sure that there are as many brews to pick as cigars in the Cigar City but best I can do is read the bottle and then guess. Anyways this is a raved Cigar City that I spotted, so lets give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a great waft of roasted malts and chocolate and.... No I'm done.... I have had it before and sipped it, now as I rate it, for a brown ale, who beats it?

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

Picked up a sixer to have with some friends at the corner market.

A- Pours a ruddy dark brown with some cloudy garnet edges. Gives off a nice large bubbled 1.5" tan head that swells, then ebbs to a thin tan cap with a couple of large bubbles popping here and there. I really noticed the slight cloudy appearance to the parts that are not totally void of color.

S- There's a rich slight sweetness in the front that is quickly replaced with some light woody, coffee bitter notes. That slight sweetness weaves throughout, like candied raisins (do those even exist) or something. Bottom line, it smells delicious.

T- Smooth creamy milk chocolate notes have a slight edge over some of the bitter coffee notes, but the balance is really noticeable between the two. there are some sweet raisiny hints in there too Once again, delicious.

M- Like the flavors, smooth & creamy. There is almost a silkiness to it. The carbonation is present, appreciated, and not distracting at all. This is listed in BA as an Oatmeal brown, but I do not see anything on the packaging stating as such, but it does have the creamy mouthfeel of oatmeal for sure.

D- I really think that this is the best brown ale I have had to date. Looks great, smells great, taste & feels delicious. I could easily drink several of these (I haven't yet). I feel that this style is a classic style, but I never get really "wowed" by any. This one does.

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

4.78/5  rDev +21.3%

It was love at first taste. I only drink brown beer and to me this is the best draft brown beer there is. Not to be confused with the canned Maduro which is significantly inferior to the draft. The draft's chocolaty, coffee taste hits you immediately. The last sip is every bit as good as the first. If I could only drink one beer, this is the one.

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale from Cigar City Brewing