Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009

Ratings: 2,745 |  Reviews: 735

1.06/5  rDev -73%

Bottled: unk - fail

A: Pours a dark and hazy brown ale with some ruby hues when light penetrates the ruddiness. Single finger of light latte head falls to a broken quilt of the same. Should have more clarity for the style.

S: Smells tart with infection. Sour, nearly brett like. Can't really get anything past this issue.

T: Yep, infected. Jesus, bitter and baking soda like in flavor.

M: Dry like the deserts of Africa.

O: horrible. Two sips, then drain.

1.28/5  rDev -67.3%

1.33/5  rDev -66.1%

Thanks to victory4me for hooking me up with a 6er of this beer. Got to the first 4 bottles quickly and had the other two in the cellar for a couple of months. Opened one up tonight...

Poured into a pint glass, the color is a deep brown with a red hue that lights up the whole body of the beer in the presence of light. The head is creamy and fine, bubbling up to about a half finger in height and then disappearing almost immediately.

I hold the glass up to my nose as the beer passes 45 degrees. Infected. No doubt about it. There are the typical Maduro Brown notes that I remember from my past experiences with the beer. Brown sugar, a light toasty flavor, and some cocoa. However, there are also definite aromas of sour cherries and a hint of funk, as the infection moves in. As it warms, it turns into a putrid ass-sweaty mess that makes me wanna puke. This is some nasty ass bacteria. I feel like a skunk shit it my beer, died, started rotting in there, and then got bottled along with a brown ale. The taste is similar. The brown ale sweetness and toasted malt notes are overwhelmed by some sour cherries and that same vomit-inducing, stomach churning slop. Undrinkable.

While I could stomach the flavors, the mouthfeel was alright. Thin (as an infection would make it) and somehow flat, I was unimpressed. This ended up getting drain poured. Just absolutely awful. I am really disappointed that I won't be able to drink the last one, since it was really pretty nice when it was fresher.

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

1.74/5  rDev -55.6%

12 oz bottle from injuredreserve

A: Pours a dark murky ruby-brown color. Minimal head dissapates into a thin ring. Lively carbonation.

S: Not what Ive come to expect. This smells sour and vinegary. Red flags are flying up. Aside from the sour I get some sweet malts.

T: Again very off. I can sense the usual brown ale qualities, light sweetness, nutiness, some CC cuban inspired spice. Now for the bad, this had a flanders taste to it that made this undrinkable.. It seemed as if someone was eating cherries and got vomited in this bottle of beer.

M: Medium body with some sprite-like carbonation.

O: Ive had this before and loved it. I was excited to open this one until I smelled it and new some nastiness was in store. Clearly a case of infection here. I wish there was a bottle date or batch code so I could point out these issues and maybe warn someone.

Drain poured.

2.17/5  rDev -44.6%

12oz had with Klym, poured into a generic Tulip.

A: Creamy brown coffee head with some characters of sea foam. Dusty brown/red body with some micro bubble cling. Not much in terms of lacing, but a decent layer of film stays above the beer.

S: My first reaction "Is this a sour? I totally get brett...". My brother smelled it and said "This has to be a sour". Sure enough we had to admit that there was definitely a brett character in the nose. It's not quite vinegary to me, more or less a nutty sourdough bread. It's pretty strong in the smell, pretty disappointing considering this isn't intended.

T: Roasty watery hazelnuts with a bit of background melon rind. The watery nuttiness is really disappointing. It's such a bummer to be getting such nice nutty notes that are ruined by an unintended flavor character. The wateriness and flat melon rind flavors really dominate. A bit of wood shop sawdust rounds out the aftertaste.

M: Foamy soft in the mouth before a gush of flat water spreads to every crevice in the mouth. This would honestly be even too watery for most sours. It didn't quite gain that vinegary fizz carbonation that would have been expected, but the body is most certainly paper thin for the style.

O: So disappointed that my one bottle of maduro is compromised. I want to revisit this but it's hard to want to seek out something after being burned once. Living in California and seeking out something in Florida isn't that easy, and it's always disappointing when there's a compromised bottle. I will seek this out again, but it will likely have to be when I've forgotten about this incident.

2.24/5  rDev -42.9%

Hmmm. I'm not sure how to review this one - I'm pretty sure I've got an infected bottle, this reminds me of a less pugilistic sea bass.

Pours a ruddy clear brown, somewhat thin, with decent mocha head.

Smells of malt and a faint cherry tartness.

Taste is similar - Not horribly unpleasant actually - but certainly not like any brown ale I've had - thin and tart with a bit of malt.

Mouthfeel - prickley, somewhat over carbonated and a bit thin.

I hope the next bottle of this turns out better.

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.28/5  rDev -41.8%

From Warners

Hmmm, difficult to write a review of the worst gusher I have ever had, first time ever I have seen all head and no beer.

All in all a hybrid US/UK brown ale style, big and toffee driven, but when you can't actually get at the beer you are a supposed to be drinking and it takes a dozen pours to get the bottle into the glass, it's all irrelevant, isn't it?

Fail.

2.47/5  rDev -37%

Agree with others, almost has a porter taste. What I mostly dislike is there is some sort of medicine taste to it. Finishes too sweet for me, and too light on body... Not a good combo. Picked up a 6 pack cans, drank strait from the can and poured in a glass, either way, won't look for this brown again.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

A: Poured brown with good carbonation leaving a nice off white/beige cap, with a 1/4 head leaving some bubbles and light lacing

S: A little on the mute side. Your typical toffee, caramel but that's about all folks.

T: Immediate toffee and light caramel sweetness with an odd and flat taste that starts after immediate taste and then finishes sordove blah..not much flavor, sordove muddy. There was an odd issue with this beer. See Mouthfeel. The finish was dry, light bitterness.

M: Sordove thin, perhaps a tad bit overbarbonated and this beer was leaving a gassy, bubbly type feel on the palate, like the beer was young or had some fermentation issues.

O: I did not finish this beer, five sips and I was done. Pass.

2.56/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this bottle as an extra.

A: Held to the light this beer is a super dark brown. Very little light makes its way through. Otherwise, it looks black. There is almost no head to this beer, and almost no lacing as it drinks.

S: I'm not really picking up much from this beer. I get a little bit of malt, and that's about it. There is a strange sourness going on in this beer though. It smells like it might have spoiled. It's not an overwhelming sour, but it's definitely noticeable.

T: Starts off sweet and roasty, but it immediately shifts to that sourness I picked up in the nose. The sours linger for quite a bit. Something is a bit off with this bottle. There is no way an American Brown Ale is supposed to taste like this.

M: Lingering tart.

O: I don't know if this is an old bottle, or if something happened to it on it's journey to my palate, but it's definitely not how this beer was intended to taste.

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale from Cigar City Brewing