Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Pours brown in color with notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate and hints of espresso. Flavor has caramel/toffee sweetness is upfront with intermingling notes of chocolate and espresso with a roasted peanut expression in the finish.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 02-04-2009

Reviews: 721 | Ratings: 2,672
3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Pouring this beer causes a small head to form with a white color. Very slight aroma of tobacco and beer. Dark brown murky color. A light drinking beer with a tingly effervescene in the mouth. The beer's flavor is not bitter but tastes like toasted whole wheat bread. The toasty taste is evident hours after drinking.

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle poured into a crystal pilsner glass.

A Deep Reddish Brown. 1/2 inch light tan head. Quickly dissipates. Nice lacing. Bubbling in the center of glass.

S Hops. Spicy. Slightly Salty. Smoky, Earthy and slightly sour.

T/M Spicy. Hoppy finish. Has a thin mouth feel that sparkles on the tongue. Its not overly bitter or sweet. It has a pretty smooth forward taste with a slightly bitter finish.

Overall: Its ok. Its not something I would go out of my way to buy again but overall its a decent brown ale. It might be hype because I have had 4 people tell me that I have to try this brewer and its amazingly good. So maybe my expectations were a bit high.

3.17/5  rDev -19.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a 3 floyds pint glass, sharred with a fellow BA.

A- Pours a ½ finger off white head that dissipates to nothing, some bubbles on the side of the glass, no apparent lacing, not the most attractive beer.
S- The smell is very mellow, oats come out, dark malts, smells a bit watered down.
T- Interesting tasting beer, big oat characteristics come out, dark malts, bready notes, sweet bitterness?
M- Medium/light mouth feel, decent carbonation, clean finish.
O- Easy drinkability, not a lot going on, glad to try it once, would not go out of my way to buy it.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark, cola brown in color, topped with an off white head and minimal lacing.

Not much going on in the nose: slightly-oxidized, but it's a basic malty-sweet aroma, and par for the course for the style.

Sweetish and lightly-tangy (in a good way... ) on the first sip. Nice, gentle carbonation. Toffee and very light chocolate notes...

Lighter bodied and very easy drinking. Stronger than the average :easy-going" beer, but probably pretty good with some lightly-spiced ("hot") cuisine. A bit too strong for a session-style beer, but, y'know us Americans...

Altogether not a bad interpretation for the style, and with a nice heft. Worth a try, but might not be worth seeking out.

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

A- something off right away. Tons of foam. Overflows the bottle before I even have time to pour. Pours a deep chocolate brown

S- smells sweet and light. Typical nutmeg and brown ale odors

T - nutty with hints of malt

M- a little bit malty. Just a bit of coarseness on the finish

O- just an average brown ale in my opinion, nothing special here.

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a murky copper tinged brown with minimal head.

Aroma has heavy caramel malt with some extra sweetness from molassesnes. Hope this isn't a sugar bomb.

Thankfully it's a bit more balanced in the flavor. Still starts out with some sweet caramel, but near the end of the palate a little bit of bitter roast bites through to help the balance. Don't pick up much oatmeal in this at all.

A touch thin for an ale this sweet with medium-low carbonation levels.

Eh it's ok. Definitely tastes better than the smell, but very malt forward with little oatmeal character. Probably won't go back to this one.

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

Pretty decent beer , had heard a lot of good things about cigar city but this beer certainly isn't mind blowing or anything..

Nice dark color with some light showing thru..

Was expecting a nut brown type ale but this is basically a oatmeal porter or watery stout ..

Decent and drinkable but there are several other beers with this type flavor I would look for before this one again..

3.23/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Light brown with an orange hue to it. There was some retention to the one finger of beige head and it left a bit of lacing on the glass. There is some light cider to the nose, which is a bit odd for this style. The upfront taste is bready, but surprisingly thin, especially in the finish. This was my first Cigar City offering; I have heard positive things about this brewery, but this beer left me a bit disappointed.

3.23/5  rDev -18%

My first CC beer, I was excited. Typical dark brown color. Nothing out of the ordinary in the nose. The taste, however, brought a spice reminiscent of a ?spruce tree? Very interesting. More carbonation than I thought. Mouthfeel was average.

For my first CC beer I was not disappointed, but not overly impressed. I look forward to my next one.

3.26/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From 12oz bottle th Bruges hybrid glass on 8/17/11
*From notes

-- Bottle purchased at the Bowery St. Whole Foods in NYC on 7/25/11 --

A: Pleasant to the eye - a good rich mahgoney brown in color. 1.5 finger head fades fairly fast and leaves minor lacing behind.

S: Hmmm....quite vinous and kinda funky. This can't be right. Soured mash and charred barley also present within the nose. No hops to speak of.

T: Acidic up front, then the medium charred malt kicks in. Again, I'm not getting any hops on this bad boy. It finishes like a tart molasses cookie, with a touch of funk.

M: Respectable. It's reasonably creamy, yet it doesn't compare in any way to the rest of CCB's lineup. Carbonation is a bit lacking here.

O: This bottle of Cigar City's Maduro Brown Ale is in the very early stages of a brett infection. The beer didn't showcase CCB's typical calling card mouthfeel or hop profile. I wish I had pulled a batch number off of this before chucking the bottle, as I don't think this beer was at it's best.

I'll certainly try this again under different circumstances, though if in fact this is the intended profile, then it's a slight miss from Joey and the CCB crew.

UPDATE: On 8/25/11, I spoke to a friend who had this on tap last weekend in Philly, and he too claims that it was infected.

3.26/5  rDev -17.3%

A-thick dark creamy brown. thin light tan head

S-hardly a scent at all. i'm getting some molasses though. it just smells weak to me. but i have to add, the smell comes out the more you drink it.

T-well at least the taste is stronger. it hits with a thick taste of molasses. it fades in to a good coffee taste that is unfortunately accompanied by a bitter tanginess.

M-medium to light carbonation and slightly creamy

D-well it does go down easily and its not a pain to drink but i'm not going to be ordering another one any time soon

3.27/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Pours a ruby brown with a thin head. Smells strongly of coffee. A little vanilla. Kind of a dusty presence to it that I don't love in brown ales. Taste is nutty, coffee. Very creamy texture to it as it enters your mouth. Overall, okay brown ale.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

On-tap at Datz poured into a giant snifter... Pours a dark brown, has a muddy character to it is bit off putting. The head is light tan, a very solid ring stays forever, thick lacing. If the body was a bit darker and not murky, this would be very highly rated... The aroma is too weak, a hint of caramel, tons of prunes, and burnt sugar. I'm missing the coffee or nuts I love in my browns... While I just wish there was more aroma, I'm not a big fan of what I do get form the taste. The front is very boring, and the finish is old stale coffee that has turned bitter. The mouthfeel is very watery, hurting this more. I had this next to the Soggy and I didn't even want to drink this, in fact I didn't and I kept stealing Olga's.

This is an average brown that I wouldn't have again.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Received as an extra, poured into my Captain Lawrence Smoke from the Oak glass.

Appearance: Good brown color, some red hues when held to the light.

Smell: Not much on the nose. A generic "beer" flavor would be my best description. As it warms it gets a bit sweeter.

Taste: Fortunately this is where the beer excels. It has a nice and sweet almost candy like flavor, very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated but too thin for my liking.

Overall: Cigar City has two year round offerings, Maduro and Jai Alai. I much prefer Jai Alai, in fact it is one of my favorite IPAs, but Maduro does not leave me with the same feelings. It tastes very good, but none of the other factors are nearly as enjoyable. I would certainly drink another one but I would not go out of my way to seek it out.

3.31/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

It's a brown color with a huge head. It's got great retention and lacing, good looking beer.

It's a malty brown ale flavor with definite hints of cigar.

The flavor is even stronger with cigar flavors and a malt base. It's a little metallic and thin for my taste but the cigar flavors keep it interesting.

It's an okay beer, but I don't need more.

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

I was at TJ's in Paoli yesterday for "The Scraps" and decided to have a look in the take-away cooler for some beers for New Beer Sunday. I want to get them in early as I have some adventurous types coming by later to drink SA Triple Bock with me.

From the bottle: "Maduro Brown Ale is an all malt brown ale brewed in the Cigar City of Tampa. Maduro pairs well with hearty Cuban foods such as Ropa Vieja and Boliche and it makes a fine accompaniment to a premium cigar."

My pour netted a finger of deep tan head with low retention, falling like Wile E. Coyote off of a cliff. Color was a slightly hazy deep brown. Nose had a smoky milk chocolate character, sweet with a slightly smoky tang. Mouthfeel was medium and it was very sweet on the tongue, like sweet chocolate along with a strawberry flavor. I would NOT be pairing this with an actual Maduro cigar, but perhaps one with a lighter wrapper and taste. Finish continued to be on the sweet side with a light sourness on the extreme finish. Color me not a fan.

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

A- I literally turned the bottle upside down and the coffee creme head rose to less than a centimeter. The head gives way to a super oily coating. Nice rusty brown color and fair lace.

S- Bitter chocolate, light smoke, very little hops, and wet dog. Not very intense or complex, but still pretty nice.

T- Smooth bitterness, the hops come off as coffee-like in that respect. Faded chocolate and butterscotch, nuts on the front and dare I say tobacco on the finish.

M- Not even a little impressed here, really detracts from the experience. Lack of head = lack of body. Very thin, just enough bubbles to get away with calling it carbonated. Over attenuation?

D- Despite the average marks, sessionability is high if I'm not in a gourmet mood.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

A finger of tan head, and a rich foggy brown body. Decent retention but no lace.

Nose is dry malt and a trace of oatmeal.

Body follows the nose in being relatively dry. A bit nutty and while it doesn't say oatmeal on the bottle, I can totally see it.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth.

I don't know what I was expecting, probably the whole greener grass thing from not getting Cigar City in my hometown, but this is a good brown ale, if not an outstanding one.

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip. Shared with Cavery.

A: Pours a raisin brown with a smallish head that leaves spotty but thick lacing. Dark look for a brown.

S: Honestly smells a little sour. A belgian-yeast smell with cinnamon, nutmeg, roast, and quite a bit of chocolate.

T: Hit with a belgian-yeast like funky sourness that turns into chocolate and some spiciness and mellows out into a spicy linger. I'm honestly not feeling the mix here.

M: Mouthfeel is inconsistent, sometimes feeling super-carbonated and yeasty, and othertimes feeling really watery and thin.

O: The taste profile on this actually isn't so bad but this body is just not the platform for this beer. Absolutely no oatmeal in this for me and the spiciness mixed with a sourlike body is just bad. Maybe I had a bottle, but as I stands this beer is inconsistent and bad.

3.35/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. can poured into a Duvel tulip (canned on 6/11/13)

A: Pours a very deep brown that is almost black with a 1/4 an inch head that diminishes quickly.

S: Nice mellow scents like a nice breakfast of dark chocolate oatmeal with black coffee that has some dulce de leche creamer in it.

T: Kind of tastes like it smells but the flavors are even more subdued. There is no wow or punch here. Just not a fan, no flavor steps out and says here I am, it is all just a swirl of bland flavors. All I get is this weird oat flavor that kills all the other notes.

M: Even carbonation throughout that is pretty smooth with only a few bumps, that aren't really noticeable.

O: This sounded pretty good, but it isn't very interesting.

3.35/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Solid coffee tasting beer from a kick-ass brewery. I'm not personally a coffee drinker and I don't always like beers that have this kind of profile, but this isn't too strong. It's deep brown, but the smell and the taste don't overpower.

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark brown with a stupidly massive tan head.
Nose shows hazelnut praline, soft roasted malt and chocolate fudge.
More nutty and roasted grainy notes as flavours but it seems a bit light on in terms of malt.
Too highly carbonated, lower carbonation might let the flavours shine a bit more too.

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle. Deep amber brown, little head.
Has a bit of body but doent look unique.
Smells ok...malt and caramel.
Taste of toasty chocolate and malt. Hint of vanilla notes.
Overall, I think this a decent brown. But its not a favorite of mine.

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

Big thanks to jcartamdg for this extra.

Pours a deep reddish brown with a foamy off-white head. Aroma is sweet roasted malts, sweet cherries, some tobacco, and very faint hops. Flavor follows the nose with a big malty, nutty backbone with a pleasant tobacco and earthy spiciness. Slightly astringent throughout, but it is more noticeable in the finish. Thinner mouthfeel with a prickly carbonation. Solid american brown ale.

3.39/5  rDev -14%

12oz bottle thanks to CruisaC, thanks man. Soft brown color with a quickly disappating head. Aroma is ok, mostly malt and a touch of sugar. Flavor is about the same. Decent beer but nothing I'd go seeking out a second time. Still, I was thankful to get the opportunity to tick this.

Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale from Cigar City Brewing