Humidor Series India Pale Ale

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Humidor Series India Pale AleHumidor Series India Pale Ale
Notes: This unique IPA shares all the tropical and citrus flavors of our Jai Alai IPA but with an added dimension imparted by Spanish cedar, the same wood used to make cigar humidors. Wood from the Cedrela odorata tree is added post-fermentation to impart notes of sandalwood and cracked black pepper, adding depth of flavor and accentuating the IPA’s moderate bitterness.
Reviews: 501 | Ratings: 1,291 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by FBarber:
3.88/5  rDev -3%

Pours a somewhat cloudy dark orangey amber color. Thick three finger off-white head collapses slowly but steadily leaving tons of sticky white lacing on the glass. Splotches of foam remain on the top of the beer.

Aroma on this one is really muted ... Light caramel malts, some hints of cedar, and a touch of orange.

Taste has notes of orange, clementine, some woody sap, pine and a touch of caramel malts. Slight complimentary cedar notes comes through as the beer warms. This beer is actually better warmer. Along with the bitterness on the back end there is some heat to it.

Feel is light, smooth but lively. Semi-dry finish.

Overall its a really interesting beer. The cedar works nicely to smooth out the beer while integrating nicely in the palate.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into pint glass on 3/30/11.
My first ever Cigar City beer. This ale pours with an amazing orange hue topped with a creamy off-white head. Great retention and amazing lace. The nose of this IPA is great for the style and adds a uniqueness I've never experienced before. Citrus hops, honey, a touch of pine... and CEDAR. You can smell the cedar- faint at first but after a few good sniffs it's there. As I take my first sips I immediately appreciate the balance between the sweet honey notes and the slight bitterness from the pine and citrus notes. Of course the cedar-aging is present and plays along with the other flavors nicely. My only complaint is how long the cedar wood lingers in the mouth. It's good at first but becomes overwhelming by the end of the glass. Medium body and medium carbonation. My overall impression is this beer is fantastic and I loved it all the way (aside from too much cedar) and is a top 5 IPA in my opinion.

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

3.96/5  rDev -1%

Thanks Jusitn for sending this my way!

A- Body is a very translucent, nearly opaque dark orange hue. Pours with a very nice 2-3 finger foamy white head which settles nicely at 1/2 finger and leaves plenty of lacing behind in the glass.

S- Citrus, mango, pineapple, caramel, and a slightly woody background. I would say that the pineapple is most prominent. There is also an accent of pine hops in the nose.

T- Initial flavor is filled with exotic fruit, citrus and an accent of pine hops, with actually-a slightly bready yeast backbone. The finish is interesting as the pine flavor comes through a little bit more, as well as pineapple and exocitc fruit sweetness, and a light wood flavor- the hops then the hop bitterness kicks in and lingers on at a moderate strength for awhile.

M- high tingly carbonation-and a very prickly, but very smooth, medium weight body-very interesting and good.

D- This is a very interesting brew overall. Its fantastic-but it has way too much pineapple for my tastes (which really isnt all that much)- which brings it down to just very good. I give this beer a lot of credit for pulling off both the fresh hoppy characteristics of a fresh IPA and the smooth mouthfeel of a barrel aged, bottle conditioned beer-this is a very good, complex IPA overall.

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Upon pouring the beer produces a very fluffy off-white head. The head sticks around for some time until becoming a ring that produces some wonderful lacing.

The beer smells interesting. The hops and cedar both come out in the nose and prodce a light grapefruit smell.

There is an initial sweetness in the beer that is countered by the hops and cedar together. There is perceptable grapefruit, but the cedar and hops working in chorus are very interesting. At first it felt like I was slurping a beer from a humidor, but when the beer breathed a little it came together. I blame my overzealousness.

In the mouth it is nice and smooth, even creamy. The carbonation helps prepare your tongue for a nice hoppy kick.

Hell, yes this beer is drinkable. It is a very refreshing drink by the pool on a warm day. I see why this was released this time of year.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a pint glass. FINALLY, I get to drink this from a bottle. I had this on tap during a Cigar City event at Capone's during Philly Beer Week, but wasn't reviewing at the time. The first bottle I got in trade, I busted. :( So alas, I finally get to do this.

Beer pours a very murky golden-orange. Nearly opaque, which is odd for a beer that's not black (stout, etc). The head on this is voluminous, especially when pouring down the center. Very thick and creamy. Resembles the top of a rootbeer float. Head has serious staying power and provides copious amounts of lacing as it receded down the glass. The nose is heavy on the cedar. Not surprising considering it's the big draw. Usually I notice notice any maltiness in an IPA on the back end of a sip, and in the aftertaste. However, it's right in your face in the nose of this beer. The taste is a wonderful combination of hoppiness, cedar, and that maltiness I spoke of. I would prefer a little more hope and cedar, and a bit less maltiness, however. The mouthfeel is a bit smoky, with a good bit of bitterness. The malty overtones of this beer persist from the nose, straight through to the finish. Overall, this is a fabulous twist to the stock Jai Alai. Each taste is a sip of beer and a draw from a cigar at the same time. Nice treat. Glad I have 2 more in the fridge.

3.41/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a decent sized white head that slowly fades to a ring around the top of my glass. Smells like that old chest at the end of your grandmothers bed. Earthy and woody with a hint of patchouli. There's some citrus in there as well, and maybe some malt, but the cedar is such a powerful aroma its hard to find anything else. It tastes just like it smells. Cedar and citrus with a hint of pepper and malt splashed in for good measure. I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but after each sip my pallet seems awash with the flavor of cannabis. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet bubbly mouthfeel. The cedar flavor and aroma is quite strong here and the first few sips were rough until my taste buds finally cried uncle. This is not something I would drink often, but I applaud the result.

3.74/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a very pretty orange hue, resembles apricots to me, but I'm mildly colorblind, so who knows! I like the color but the head is only decent so I can't give this a 5.

The smell is very boring, some mild piney hops and presumably cedar, and definitely didn't impress me as I tilted the glass back for the first time.

The taste, on the other hand, is pretty impressive. A very good balance between the moderate citrus hops and the cedar keeps the beer from getting in to hop bomb territory. I'd be very interested to try the normal Jai Alai to see how these good hops taste when they're on their own.

The mouthfeel is very good, a nice amount of carbonation gives the beer some life in the mouth. Drinkability started out pretty high but it definitely feels boozier as you get down the bottle. Unfortunately for all other IPAs, the standard to me is Pliny and it's pretty damn hard to come close to PtE in drinkability.

Overall, a solid buy and one I might revisit later after I've tried the regular IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz can stamped CANNED 06/11/19 (25 days ago) poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass at fridge temp 7.5% ABV 65 IBU. The beer pours bright light honey amber in color with sticky bone colored head. The head recedes to a cap and leaves some lacing. The aroma is noticeable with cedar coming through in abundance and a hint of citrus underneath. The taste is still cedar forward but there's tangerine up front and a firm medium bitterness on the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, adequately carbonated and mostly dry in the finish. There is a little hop shellac, but the cedar really does a nice job of providing dryness and keeping the sweetness minimal. Overall, very good. This is a wonderfully made classic AIPA.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.28/5  rDev +7%

A late night xmas bottle with my boy onix1agr. Poured into duvel snifters.

A- three huge fingers of fluffy sticky head that holds wonderfully. Head very slowly recedes leaving tons of sticky chunks on the glass and a large floating island. Hazy deep orange in color with a light red hue. One of the best looking brews I've ever had in my hands.

S- tropical and citrus fruits with a very floral slightly sweet touch. Hints of yeast.

T- satsumas and ruby red grapefruit with some powered sugar on top. I get a bit of honeysuckle and camemille Good bitter hit that rolls into a creamy sweetness and a touch of vanilla.

M- a few notches above medium in body with a bit of slickness to it. Slow building carb that let's your palate get the whole spectrum. Mild tannic finish.

D- I really enjoyed this beer. I've had the regular version and like it but the cedar has done some cool stuff. First time with a cedar aged beer so I don't have much of a flavor comparison but this is super tasty. I would have easily been able to take on a whole bottle. Ill have to get another one soon.

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle courtesy of Aiptasia.

A- Pours a hazy dark orange with a two finger white head with good retention. A few lines of lacing are left behind.

S- Earthy oak upfront followed by red apples, lemon juice, grapefruit, orange and a hint of caramel malt.

T- Citrus notes with lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit as well as red apple, caramel malt and a strong oak flavor, which is a bit too harsh and overpowering. It did get a bit smoother as the beer warmed up a bit.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a dry finish.

O- This was as advertised with the oak being prominent in the aroma and taste. I did think it was a little too overpowering in the taste which hurt the drinkability, but certainly not a bad effort from CCB.

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%