Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 05-26-2009

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%

Slightly hazy orange amber with huge frothy tan head with uneven lacing but great retention, however it separated from the glass and looked very clumpy. It also became very cloudy at the end of the bottle. Aromas of cigar tobacco, cedar and citrus. Balance of citrus and floral hops with an earthy malty sweetness. A dry cedar finish is not too potent. The hops are subdued thpugh they progress a little but never to the point of being overpowering. A little peppery near the end. Full bodied despite the huge head seemed quite moderate in carbonation.

Wow, this is a great beer. I had no problem drinking the entire 750ml bottle and did not want to share- good thing I have a second! This is a very smooth easy drinking beer despite being a little higher in ABV and being barrel aged. As an ex-smoker, that cigar aroma was heavenly and I almost wanted one to enjoy at the same time. CC Brewing might almost make it worthwhile to live in Tampa again. Almost, but not quite. I'll just have to settle for bribing friends and family to bring me bottles.

3.56/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Straight pour from a 12oz pry-off bottle to a teku; bottling date of November 7, 2013 printed in some sort of dark-ish ink on the shoulder of the bottle (“Bottled on 11/07/13”), making this bottle a week old on the date of consumption. Yep, one week. Huzzah for freshness.

Appearance (4.25): Sure is an attractive beer: a good two fingers milk-white foam rises off of the pour, capping a rich orange-amber body with a moderate chill haze. The head shows decent retention, dying down relatively slowly and leaving a thick collar and thin film at the surface. A few nice splotches and thick legs here and there.

Smell (3.25): This is quiiite a unique aroma—honestly not sure what to make of it at first. Must be the cedar? There’s an herbal-spicy scent that’s almost sulfurous, but a little woody and spicy like mustard, almost (though that side of it is lighter). Some fruity, slightly resinous hops underneath it, but the aroma really is dominated by what must be the cedar. To be fair, the fruity hops come in to balance out the cedar a bit more as it warms.

Taste (3.5): Following the aroma at first, with that funky, at turns sulfurous cedar, but the hops character is much clearer and more prominent here: that weird, woody-botanical tang accompanied by a bit of spiciness, sitting next to a juicy citrus component with sweet red grapefruit, some of the melony richness of papaya, and then a moderately sharp red grapefruit bitterness in the close, as the beer finishes crisp and dry. Some of the slightly spicy, woody-botanical cedar character (which I recognize now is unmistakeable) permeates every aspect of the flavor, from start to finish. Is there malt in here? Yeah, I suppose so. A little rich peasant bread and toasted wheat bread underneath the hops and melding with the cedar. Certainly is unique.

Mouthfeel (4.25): Smooth bodied, a slightly oily just-under-medium-weight, with a moderately velvety carbonation that foams easily but subtly, dies out before too long, and washes down cleanly with a dry, but not parching or astringent, finish. No booze at all.

Overall (3.5): So, the base beer here is killer—Jai Alai is always on point and an absolute joy to drink. The cedar aging adds a very unique dimension to it, though, which is impossible to ignore because it is front and center. It also mutes/covers up some of the hoppiness that makes Jai Alai so damn good, too, but not entirely. So, basically, in the end what you have here is a very solid IPA with an extremely unique treatment that has the potential to be very polarizing. I’m on the fence about how I feel about it, in the end, but I’m glad I’ve tried it. In the future, though, I’ll probably just stick to Jai Alai.

2.5/5  rDev -38%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/15/10.

A-Pours a ruby-tinged amber with a 2.5 finger glistening white head, and leaves a sticky, thick lacing behind. This is a beautiful beer.

S-Pineapple, pine, a very obvious cedar component, spicy herbal, and a gentle earthiness to it.

T-Wow, cedar! Spicy cedar upfront with pine, grapefruit, and a dry, herbal, bitter finish. Very interesting taste profile.

M-Very smooth with very prickly, almost heavy carbonation. It's almost light bodied because of the carbonation.

D-This is a pretty unique beer. The cedar gets to be a little much near the end of a 750 ml bottle, so that knocks down the drinkability a notch for me. That being said, a very solid, very original beer. I love that that the hops are very discernible and mesh well with the cedar.

3.17/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance -- Pours a rich orange, a bit murky, with two fingers of stiff beige head. Lacing was okay.

Smell -- Tropical fruits, tangerine, grapefruit, pine resin, cedar wood, bready malt, faint caramel.

Taste -- Cedar tannins and pink grapefruit are up dominant with tropical fruits also present, though more subdued than in the nose. Malt profile is bready overall, but with a faint bit of caramel sweetness. Hop bitterness toward the finish is pronounced but not overwhelming. Finish is grapefruit rind and cedar.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body with moderate prickly carbonation. Mild astringency throughout. Finish is dry.

Drinkability -- Very unique! I've had IPA's aged briefly on fresh oak, but this is a completely different animal. the cedar adds a muskiness that makes the grapefruit-like hop notes really pop and lends a dryness to the finish. However, the cedar becomes overwhelming with a great deal of tannins in the flavor and astringency in the mouthfeel.

I doubt that I would drink this regularly if it was available to me. That said, it's still worth a try if you love unique IPA's.

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%

750ml into tulip. Thanks to TheSevenDuffs.

A- Cloudy burnt orange/peach colored pour. Two finger eggshell head that quickly disappears leaving a thin cap. Lacing is spotty.

S- Very first thing is the cedar. Humidor, ceder chest or even those cedar pucks people put in their sock drawer. Floral hops with a sweet citrus note fall short. As per Marcus this isn't a very fresh bottle.

T- Floral hop bite with aromatic cedar following close behind. There is a sweet malt and juicy citrus before the cedar comes back and dries your mouth out.

M- Medium bodied, juicy up front long dry finish.

O- Cedar while wonderful to smell isnt my first thought for a wood aged beer. It's different to say the least. Not for the good or bad. Just different.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

750mL bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a darkish, burnt orange color. Plenty of murkiness to the body, though you can see some carbonation when you hold the beer to direct light. The carbonation gushes out, forming a two-finger-plus sized head, but it reduces down to a very tight one finger. Plenty of thick-ringed lace is left in its wake.

The dominant aroma I'm getting is caramel malt. Which isn't what I personally want to get as the dominant aroma in an IPA, but I can roll with it. There's green hop notes here, a splash of fruit juice too. There's a different sort of astringency here too which I am attributing to the cedar chips. Slight vanilla comes along with the wood. I've had cedar in beer before (namely Boulevard's discontinued Seeyoulator Dopplebock), and this doesn't at all smell like what I thought it would. The unique character of cedar is diminished on the nose of this bottle. Is it old? I have no reason to think so, but it could be the case.

Tasting the beer leads me to believe that it isn't blindingly fresh but isn't over the hill either. There's a fair amount of peach and orange hop flavor to this bottle. The caramel malt IS stronger than I'd prefer, but it maybe needs to be. The cedar flavor isn't dominant or even particularly strong, and I think the malt is helping a lot to keep the wood in balance. That wood is green and yes, tastes like cedar. Very trace vanilla; mostly green wood.

This beer is on the thicker side of medium-bodied. I typically don't like that attribute, but it works for this beer. There's something pleasing about the textural heft in relation to wood flavor. Usually, wood-aged beers are so thinned-out, so the contrast is unexpected and enjoyable.

Overall, this is an above-average IPA. It is unique and enjoyable, though nothing that I would turn to regularly (or ever again, even). It isn't what I'm looking for in an IPA, but it does succeed in what it wants to do.

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this on tap at the brewery a few weeks ago, but this review is from a 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Hazy burnt orange color. The pour produces a little over one finger of fluffy cream colored head that leaves great lacing.

A: Almost perfect nose. I get the simcoe and cascade hops, grapefruit, orange peel, and maybe some honey. But the cedar wood, just acentuates all of these flavors. It is distictly cigar cedar, it smell just like walking into a humidor.

T: Again very nice. I get everything I got in the nose. The cedar is definately different, but welcomed. This is a one of a kind taste. The beer finishes very dry, with no hint of the ABV.

M: Medium body, very good amount of carbonation, makes for a smooth semi-resinous mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: I could only drink one of these 750 ml bottles, not that I couldn't have more, but because of the complexity of this IPA, my palate is ruined. Overall, this is a fantastic beer. Cedar should become a staple for aging beer. Kudos again to Wayne and Joey, just great! Skal.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

This is my last of a 4-pack I bought while in Florida in April this year.
So I'm coming back to it after my first impressions and after reading some threads on BA's forum about ugliest beers and Jai Alai was mentioned because of chunks and floaties.

Well, this one poured Hazy amber with suspended particles, lots of them. It has a fluffy light tan head with excellent retention and lacing. I don't remember the particles from the other pours. Not very appealing to me other wise it looks great. i would rate higher without the floaters

Grapefruit and spicy cedar dominate the nose. Cigar like too. This really smells great and different for a standout. Lasting smell and changing as it warms. More citrus, some overripe banana.

Taste is all grapefruit and cedar. Not balanced for me, too bitter like chewing on the peel of grapefruit. Don't like the lingering after taste.

I wish the taste went with the mouthfeel. It's smooth and creamy but dry at the end. A bit too dry and astringent by the bottom of the glass. i want something else to clean my palette.

Overall this is not one I would prefer but it has merit. I'll give them credit for a good try.
I would like to try the regular Jai Alai, since others are saying they like it better.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Happy to find this on the shelf at Total Wine. Bomber poured into a pint glass (wish I had a snifter or tulip); dated Nov 2011 on the label.

Hazy body, dark yellow/orange color, with a three-finger, creamy light tan head. The head has excellent retention and settles into a foamy cap.

The aroma is not really like an IPA but is interesting nonetheless. The cedar/wood notes are prominent, followed by a light earthy hop aroma. Some sweet malt in the background.

The flavor is equally interesting. The hops take a background to the wood flavors. The cedar flavor is again prominent, and as the beer has aged, the hop flavors have obviously faded in favor of the malt. The flavor is good, but I actually think this one would be better with a little more age on it, maybe a year or so to have the flavors blend.

Medium mouthfeel with an oily hop texture. Overall, one of the most unique beers I've ever had and definitely worth a try.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

Third person in a row reviewing this beer from the firkin at Capones in Norristown PA during PBW. Poured from firkin into a regular pint glass.

A: Immediately I looked and thought of apple cider. Exact same color as fresh apple cider. A real murky, chunky brownish orange color with very minimal head. Not much glass lacing.

S: Cedar aged? You bet it is. Huge (I mean huge) smell of cedar coupled with the citric hops and sweet caramel malt. Still, the cedar seems to overpower the other smells.

T: First sip brings cedar (shocking) but it does get mixed with the classic Jai Alai citrus hops and heavy caramel sweetness. Pineapple, orange and slight grapefruit rind give some woody bitterness that quickly gives way to the heavy caramel sweetness. Cedar flavors stick throughout. Finish for me turned sweet, especially as it warmed. At the end of the glass the beer got very sweet upon finish. I'm not getting a drying finish at all as someone else mentioned. Woody sweetness here.

M: Sweet, full, woody, alcohol well hidden slight bitterness.

O: Ok, I'm going to be different here and say I enjoyed this a bit. I like the cedar idea, but it for sure needs toning down to allow the Jai Alai flavors to come out more. I will disagree with the 2 other reviews and say I had no problem finishing the glass, but I can say I didn't want another one.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that I was still very glad to try. As I said, tone down the cedar a bit and see how that turns out. A rare beer (via cask no less) that I'm super happy Matt at Capones was able to secure. Nicely done whether you like the beer or not.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12oz bottle (no date) into tulip with a 2 in white head that took it's time to settle down, left some strong lacing on glass. Color is amber / orangish

Aroma - smells like a humidor! The cedar definitely dominates, some citrus and pine if you can get beyond the woodiness.

Taste - some good maltiness and hop bite but still the cedar shines through on this. the finish seems like it's a normal IPA bitter finish but then the cedar lingers at the end

Mouthfeel - medium to strong carbonation and a decent body. nice and easy drinking

Overall - While this is an intriguing twist, I prefer the regular Jai Alai. As suggested on the bottle, I think this would pair fansticially with a cigar, but given the 12 inches of snow on my porch, don't think that is going to happen any time soon. Would love to get some more of this later in the year. Got this bottle as an extra in a trade from velcogrip

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%