Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 05-26-2009

3.59/5  rDev -10.9%

This is one of the most unique cask beers I think I have had the chance to try. I had a 10oz half pint at cask temp.

A - The color is a murky hazed (due to lack of cask finings) color of apricot with smallish head of cream

S - The smell is a strange but pleasant blend of piney hops and cedary woodiness w/ a light fruit ester

M - The mouthfeel is intensely hopped upfront with a astringent/resinous cedar bark texture which leaves the palate dry - medium body, a bit on the thin side of 7.5%

T - The taste is good, but not great as the hops are sligthly overpowered by the cedar, there is a nice Ipa flavor with mild fruit and subtle citrus of the hops, but it seems like they just went overboard with the cedar to prove to you that this is Really REALLY a cedar beer and IPA second. I love the experimentation, but when in balance with the total beer in mind

D - I will sum up here with a good, but not great along the lines of the taste portion of the review. I could probably only handle a 1/2 pint to be honest. I like the way cedar smells and Jai Alai is a decent IPA, but the combination seems to detract slightly for me rather enhance the drinking experience -just my .02

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

Cigar city recently expanded their brewing capacity, and the 750ml bottle of Humidor series IPA that I got to try in Long Island NY is a direct result of that. THANK YOU!

I absolutely loved this IPA.

A - A stunning mahogany-apricot. Smooth and creamy head with great retention. One of the best looking IPA's I've ever seen.

S - Grapefruit laced with light resiny cedar

T - Bursting with citrus. I can't believe how clear the flavors are. The profile includes some bitter-boozy Campari, but is dominated by sweet white grapefruit and blood orange. Clean cedar flavors play a supporting role and avoid the "in your face because I'm on the label" cliches. Smooth malt shows up early in the mid profile and hangs around to tie everything together. Very well done.

M - Smooth, medium body. Mild effervescence with a light boozy feel.

D - Very drinkable for the style. IPA's can wear out your palate in a hurry, but the juicy citrus of the beer kept me coming back for more.

O - A delicious, edgy IPA that pushes the style in directions other than the IBU arms race that's dominated American IPAs over the past few years. Cigar City - keep up the good work!

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.15/5  rDev +3%

From 5/21 notes. Had at a local DC tasting thanks to nimbleprop.

a - Pours a golden amber color with two inches of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus, pepper, cedar, and some smooth caramel malts.

t - Taste is similiar to the nose; pepper, citrus and piney hops, smooth malts.

m - Medium body and light carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a pretty good IPA that was very easy to drink. Some nice citrus hops in the smell and taste. Didn't really taste any cedar but could smell it. Would definitely try again.

1.57/5  rDev -61%

I've had this one a couple occasions now. Both out of the growler and out of the bottle. Both have been the same...

A: The pour is a nice looking hazy golden orange color with a white foam on top.

S: The nose is not a good start to the beer. Cedar and spicy mothballs. The hops try to peak through with just a bit of citrus, but the attempt is futile.

T: Just when I thought the nose couldn't get worse, I drank the beer. Incredibly astringent and spicy notes from the cedar with tobacco and a flavor that I would assume is how mothballs taste (judging from the smell).

M: A medium body with a moderate carbonation. Unfortunately, that spiciness sits on the tongue and is only tolerable for a period of time.

D: I really don't get this beer or the raves about it. I suppose the cedar aging might work for other styles of beer, but get it out of the IPAs.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

Got a couple o' these guys in trades with some righteous Floridians. Thanks go out to HeyOhhh for this particular bottle!

Heading into this brew, I've come to learn (and assume for the future) that wood-aging makes beers good, great, even excellent. Never before, though, has the wood been cedar. And, starting off, it hasn't affected the look much: still a clear amber-orange with more than enough sudsy foam toward the top (I'm told this position is normal, but I have no way to prove it). The cedar does come through in the nose. I've gotta admit, I'm surprised; normally the wood isn't this pronounced this quickly. Not content to live alone (wuss) the cedar is joined by a horde of piney hops, citrus peels, and some mild menthol. It's clear that the wood pays most of the bills, but the hops spend the most time in the taste, constantly gabbin' away on the phone, eatin' up all the chips (and chewing so damn loudly!), and always usin' up all the hot water. This means there's a helluva lotta piney bitterness, with some minor orange rind aftershocks, an intimation of buttery caramel, and, of course, the mild nag of the cedar, always hanging in the background. Luckily for these "Real World" rejects, they get along smoothly (after all, why do you think they were rejected?), even if they're not all that bubbly. This is probably the most drinkable wood-aged brew yet, especially considering the lack of alcoholic burn. Bring on more cedar, baby!

3.95/5  rDev -2%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes from 2012.

Appearance - Light copper colored. White head. Sticky looking with a ton of lace.

Smell - Tons of grapefruit hops. The cedar aroma adds to the pungency of the grapefruit. Some caramel malts.

Taste - Fresh grapefruit hops. Intense cedar. The cedar pairs very well with the grapefruit hops. Slightly sweet pale malt in the back. Bitter finish with an intense woody cedar lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation. A little bit creamy.

Overall - I don't really like cedar in most beers, but this works well.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle shared by afdempse. Thanks Adam!

The beer is transparent and orange colored, sporting a half inch of white head. Lasting retention and ample lacing.

The aroma is unique and wonderful. A bold scent of freshly lit cigars and cigar smoke take center stage, followed by floral hops.

The taste is not quite as delectable and intriguing as the aroma, but well balanced and enjoyable nonetheless. I can understand why some may dislike this beer, as it is certainly not for everyone. When viewed solely as an IPA or DIPA, this will not hold its own when matched against the upper tier brews of this ilk. That said, Humidor IPA is a complex, unique, and creative brew to be sipped and savored. I applaud Cigar City for this "outside the box" beer. While I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did, I would certainly have this again. Recommended.

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a clear golden color with a decent sized white head that slowly fades to a ring around the top of my glass. Smells like that old chest at the end of your grandmothers bed. Earthy and woody with a hint of patchouli. There's some citrus in there as well, and maybe some malt, but the cedar is such a powerful aroma its hard to find anything else. It tastes just like it smells. Cedar and citrus with a hint of pepper and malt splashed in for good measure. I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, but after each sip my pallet seems awash with the flavor of cannabis. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet bubbly mouthfeel. The cedar flavor and aroma is quite strong here and the first few sips were rough until my taste buds finally cried uncle. This is not something I would drink often, but I applaud the result.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Review from notes taken on 11/20/10. The label is different from what is listed but I'm assuming this is the same brew. No indication on the bottle that the base brew is Jai Alai but this is the only listing for a cedar aged IPA so it's probably the same.

Poured into a snifter this brew appears a beautiful perfectly clear light orange color with 2 fingers of fluffy yellowish stained, creamy head. It retains well and leaves a leggy pattern of lace around the glass.

The aroma of this brew is sweet floral hops mixed with some light indications of vanilla. Some citrus, pine and spicy character is evident. A light tingle of the alcohol is felt in the nose through the back along with a seemingly candy sugary sweetness.

The taste is herbal hops mixed with a woodsy flavor that unsurprisingly tastes like cedar with some spiciness. Some oily bitterness clings with some resine like orange rind. A light toasted grain sweetness balances out the flavor of the hops and cedar.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate level of carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable with a bit of a perfume-like flavor and warmth. The hops last inside the mouth long after each sip. This would be a well balanced brew except the cedar flavor really stood out and sort of clashed a bit. Nonetheless it was an interesting experience and I would drink it again but maybe with a different take on the hops or with a less aggressive cedar flavor.

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - bright orangish amber with a huge, frothy, thick, off white head that has great retention

S - citrusy, malty, a bit sugary, cedar chips come through, some cake batter

T - woody, very piney, bitter, some underlying sweetness, faint cake batter, cedar is very present

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This is a solid beer. The cedar comes through in a big way which for me is overpowering at times. The IPA itself is extremely piney, bitter, and resinous with some underlying citrus. The malt backbone is present and a bit sugary, but in my opinion a fuller, perhaps sweeter, maltiness would help balance the bold hop presence. Overall, this is a solid IPA that is definitely worth a try by any true IPA fan.

2.5/5  rDev -38%

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Barrel aging IPAs can be a very dangerous thing in my opinion. So much risk of obliterating character and just wrecking the ship. This one works for me. There are the IPA tones that area clear and evident with the barrel influences that combine to provide a nice drinking experience. It's a little boozy at times, but it works for me. P.S. Mild gusher here and a whole lotta head too.

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

Cask offering at Rattle N hum in NYC. This unfiltered, barrell aged brew pours cloudy medium amber, lighter tan head, typical sheeting and lace. I get mostly grapefruit on the nose with maybe a glimmer of cedar in the rear. Soft on the tongue, with low carbonation, ample fruity hops, again with a healthy dose of grapefruit. Tasty hopped up IPA from the sunshine state. The cedar here was lost on me.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Dave (dukedevil0) for busting this out for New Beer "Saturday". Served in an Upland pint glass.

A - A couple fingers of darker blonde foam that dissipates and leaves some patchy lacing and a nice cap. Really dark and hazy glowing red-orange color - perhaps one of the darkest IPAs I've had in a while.

S - The smell is super-intense and full of cedar and ripe Valencia orange. I'm a little confused - the smell reminds me of cedar chests, orange wood polish, and tobacco, which I generally wouldn't associate with beer, but somehow it's good nonetheless. I think the hops and humidor have combined to create a dank earthy character which I also enjoy. I think the wood presence might be a little to aggressive at the expense of the IPA flavors.

T - The taste, while still having plenty of cedar, is less woody and more orange peel, tropical fruits, and piney hops. There's some nice doughy malt presence the balances things out. Some nice mild bitterness in the finish - I get the sense that most of the hop flavor has been imparted from dry-hopping, which has keep the alpha acids down.

M - The mouthfeel is similar to many of my other favorite IPAs - lower carbonation with only a touch of zing, chewy medium body, soft texture, and lots of residual resins.

D - The cedar flavor builds a little bit keeping this from being a super session beer, but the other qualities are eminently drinkable - great ABV, carbonation, solid taste. I'd have one of these to mix things up, but it would never be my go-to brew.

I'm guessing I'll like regular Jai Alai a little more, but this was an excellent brew nonetheless.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing