Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) | Cigar City Brewing

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at Ward's in Gainesville for $8.99.

A: nice bronze-copper color with great rocky head
S: mild nose with nice balance between malt and hops, cedar not noticeable
T: very nice, good malt up front with a ton of bitter piney hops in finish - too much bitterness in finish for me - cedar not noticeable - bitterness mellowed after first sip but still a lot
M: good but too much bitterness in finish for my tastes
D: good but bitter finish tempered my enthusiasm to drink more than what I had in front of me

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Had this on 2011-01-07 in Columbia, PA from a 25.6 oz bomber

A - Murky orange-amber with a 2.5-finger head and great lacing.

S - Tropical fruit, sweet orange, mild cedar, mild grain and yeast.

T - Very nice. Similar to the smells with the addition of a wallop of flavor from the cedar plank aging. The tropical fruit, sweet orange, vanilla and grapefruit flavors are nice and bright at first and then the hop bitterness begins to assert itself. It finishes with the sweetness and bitterness vying for your attention. It takes awhile for the bitterness and wood taste to finally assert themselves in the finish. The tannin/cedar flavor hangs in a for awhile on the aftertaste.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Resinous, oily, creamy, thick and a little prickly.

D - This is my first time for a Cigar City brew and I am quite impressed. While it is labeled as an IPA, it tastes and feels like a rich DIPA. It's pretty sweet without being cloying. I'd seek this out again. Well done.

4.61/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks w113raf.... And thanks to tchaos as well...

Pours orange and a bit murky. Lots and lots of head. Smells like some citrus hops and lots of cedar. Tastes like a lot of cedar! Wow. So so much cedar! A bit of citrus hops coming through but mostly just cedar. Perfect body for an ipa. Very drinkable

Review updated. Aother bottle was opened and the nose is even better! Upped from a 4.0 to a 5.0

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance-Pours a huge, sticky, creamy and persistent off white head on top of an orange amber beer that leaves sheets of lacing.

Smell-Huge cedar wood and lighter fruity hops

Taste-Cedar wood bores a path straight down the middle of this IPA, making a unique and delicious twist on typical wood (oak) aging. The flavor overload reminds me of a much bigger beer. Hops are more spicy and resinous than aroma foretells; some grapefruit in there as well.

Mouthfeel-Palate flooding and big tasting with smooth, creamy carbonation

Drinkability-Incredibly tasty not a light bodied beer. I like it a bunch, but it's so flavorful as to overwhelm the palate. Highlt recommended.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

750mL champagne style bomber poured into a pint

Pours a pretty orange amber with a good amount of bubbles pushing their way north. A huge, firm bone white cap rises 2+ fingers and recedes in classic raindrop pattern, leaving huge chunks of lace all over the glass.

This is a unique aroma. Cedar, vanilla, tropical fruit and a clean malt backbone. This is not an aroma that jumps out of the glass, it really makes you work to get a good whiff.

Lightly sweet tropical fruit off the bat with the cedar coming in smooth through the middle with a swoop of tropical fruit in the finish. A moderate business grabs hold and lingers along with a residual sweetness. The cedar really takes the edges off of this beer.

A medium body that is smooth with a bit of a chewy hop presence. A nice lingering bitterness and good carbonation

I found this to be relatively easy to drink. The booze in this one caught up with me a little quicker than expected, and I am not drinking it very fast. A bit of warming too.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

This is a re-review. Just a note: this is the first Cigar City beer I had that really impressed me. After this, I've had countless that impressed me.

A-dark cloudy amber with a thick cream colored head and some lacing

S-vanilla and hops, but not too hoppy. medium to high strength. the cedar is very evident.

T-hits with a a strong cedar taste with some hops, very odd for an IPA. this lasts awhile until the after-taste comes which is mostly fresh cedar with some hops. the cedar and some bitterness last quite awhile. this is a taste that i have come to love. there is even some vanilla in there at the end.

M-medium carbonation with a creamy finish

D-"well its not too bad of a drinker but the taste just isn't something i want a lot of"-is what i said for my first review. Since then, I've had this a lot and realized that yes, the taste is something I can have quite a lot...and a lot. In fact, I think I know the reason for the bottle change. The H doesn't represent Humidor, it represents Heroin because this beer is gonna have the same addicting effect on you.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Drank striaght out of a 22oz bottle on a train ride to nyc

Aweseome presentation in the bottle, unique looking label. Nice deep hop notes back by a slight maltiness, very little citrus notes as are seen in other ipas. Drinks smooth and light with a great depth of flavor.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a cloudy orange amber color beneath a fluffy off-white head. The aroma largely features fresh citric hops and an intriguing subtle woodiness from the cedar. The cedar pops out of the flavor at first, particularly in the finish, but it gradually blends into the prominent hop character. Honestly, I thought I was crazy, but it truly tasted just like fresh grapefruit juice to me after a while. This wonderful and interesting flavor combination, along with a pleasantly mouth-filling texture, made this one a truly enjoyable drinking experience.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hooked up with this on a trade from Afksports. Thank you sir.

Enjoyed this with a few buddies at a mini tasting.
For the record,we were using plastic cups so we could discard after each beer.

Poured a hazy amber caramel color with a nice head. Some descent lacing.

Smell. Hmmm is that cedar in my beer? Smells glorious. The cedar comes right through on the front end. Some nice floral hints follow. If this was a woman I'd want to make out with her based on smell alone.

Taste. Ka pow. Cedar baby,cedar. Tropical hoppy floral notes. A touch of creamy caramel. Damn.

Mouthfeel. Smooth. A touch creamy. My cup felt like it was carbonated like a soda pop. That spells trouble for me. Down the hatch it goes.

Drinkability. I do believe I could session this regularly.

Overall. Ladies and gentleman we have a winner here. A fantastic find and I am eager to get my grubby mits on some more. Is there other CC offerings that stack up to this? If so I need to do some exploring.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

A- Cloudy deep orange with creamy white head that leaves beautiful thick walls of lace and very nice pillowy retention.

S- Very complex, pleasant, and clean combination of aromas. Cedar shines through on the front end with other earthy and herbal notes. Sappy pine, lemon, and citrus hints follow. Nice herbal, floral, and citrus notes from the hops. Underlying notes of sweet caramels.

T- Smooth caramel underneath blankets of floral and pine. Nice citrus notes with a bitter finish. Very hoppy. Very nice balance and great for its style.

M- Nice zing from hops, followed by creamy feel, then a dry a finish. Just like an IPA should feel.

D- Its a big beer a little on the extreme side, so it is a definite sipper, but very well done.

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks to DmanGTR for this brew!

A: Hazy cloudy amber. Nice just off white head. The head is really pillowy and has a good bit of staying power.

S: Oh my God. This actually smells very much like a humidor. Huge cedar notes and perhaps a hint of tobacco. The hops are give off a nice tropical fruit smell. Beautiful.

T: Wow the cedar is really powerful in this one. Huge Hit from the cedar, then a quick bitter punch dominated by pine and some tropical notes. There is a hint of caramel in the finish, followed by another stab from the cedar and bitter hops.

M: Medium carbonation, a very nice smoothness, and a moderate amount of carbonation.

D: Very nice. The cedar diminishes a bit as I keep drinking, but never disappears. The hops tend to come out a little more as I progress through the beer. And the smell is just outstanding. It joins the ranks of pumpking, where I could just smell it allll day..

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%

The smell of this one is intriguing. It smells slightly sweet, but with noticeable hoppiness. The hops wind up tasting very smooth and their citrus flavor evens out the wood perfectly. I was expecting more of a sharp taste or smell of cedar, but the balance of floral hops and subtle woodiness is very nice. This beer leaves a nice foam on the side of the glass and is well carbonated. The combination of which is a perfect full body mouth feel. Great beer.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

I got this beer at the Tasting Room on a recent trip to Tampa. I poured into a goblet.

Appearance: A pleasant hazy light golden color with a head the settles after a short time. No lacing was left on my glass.

Smell: To me this does not smell like cedar from a humidor. I used to smoke cigars some time ago, but they got to expensive. Now my habit is craft beer, I am not sure which one is cheaper. :-)

I can smell the hop bitterness and I can sense a little of the alcohol booziness.

Taste: This is very delicious. All three characters, malt, hops, and cedar, intermingle nicely. The malt is able to stand up to the hoppiness, while they wait their turn and show up in the aftertaste. All the while the wood aging adds an interesting dimension, that is not present in the Jai Alai IPA.

Mouthfeel: Fine, carbonation and body are spot on. This beer is a bit slick or oily from the hops. Very nice.

Drinkability: Higher ABV and assertive flavors make this a bottle to share. That and I will not be able to get this except for trips to see family. I will definitely drink this one when I can, which will not be all that often.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

A late night xmas bottle with my boy onix1agr. Poured into duvel snifters.

A- three huge fingers of fluffy sticky head that holds wonderfully. Head very slowly recedes leaving tons of sticky chunks on the glass and a large floating island. Hazy deep orange in color with a light red hue. One of the best looking brews I've ever had in my hands.

S- tropical and citrus fruits with a very floral slightly sweet touch. Hints of yeast.

T- satsumas and ruby red grapefruit with some powered sugar on top. I get a bit of honeysuckle and camemille Good bitter hit that rolls into a creamy sweetness and a touch of vanilla.

M- a few notches above medium in body with a bit of slickness to it. Slow building carb that let's your palate get the whole spectrum. Mild tannic finish.

D- I really enjoyed this beer. I've had the regular version and like it but the cedar has done some cool stuff. First time with a cedar aged beer so I don't have much of a flavor comparison but this is super tasty. I would have easily been able to take on a whole bottle. Ill have to get another one soon.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a not-quite-dry Piraat tulip.

Appearance: The cedar aged version of Jai Alai pours a brilliant copper-amber color that looks sufficiently hazy without containing any noticeable particulates. A vigorous (almost violent) pour produces a large three-finger head that looks thick and full. It recedes slowly, leaving some nice globs of lacing on the side of the side of the glass as it goes.

Smell: This is unlike any other brew I have had. The cedar is unmistakable and plays a big part in the nose. This beer has all the fruity, citric hoppy goodness of the standard Jai Alai but also smells like a timber-framed log home. This is a pretty impressive nose for an IPA, so let's see how the taste measures up.

Taste: The taste, unfortunately, is not so articulated as the nose would indicate. Make no mistake, this is still a very good beer, but the flavors are not so intricately woven together as the scents are in the smell. This is a really bitter, hoppy IPA, just as God intended them to be, so I can't fault Cigar City for that. The cedar for the most part blends itself in with hops rather than standing out on its own, which I think just serves to jumble up the tastes a little bit. Still, this is a really good beer and certainly one of the more unique IPAs I've tried.

Mouthfeel: As with the regular Jai Alai, the cedar aged version is somewhere between an IPA and a DIPA in terms of mouthfeel. This is definitely crisper than the original, however, and is an exceedingly refreshing beer.

Drinkability: Despite the heavy presence of cedar in the taste, this is an exceptionally drinkable IPA. This is especially true in light of the fact that it's pushing 8% ABV. I'm taking my time getting through this 750 ml bottle, but every sip is a pleasure.

Overall, the cedar aged Jai Alai IPA is a hella good beer, in my opinion. It bears out the standard Jai Alai in complexity and individuality and the brewers at Cigar City have done a really nice job making this heavily wooded beer very drinkable as well. It's bitter, it's interesting, it's big and it's certainly a beer I would have again if given the chance.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

My first Cigar City beer becomes my first review. A lovely item from Santa Deuane. Thanks Deuane!

A: Poured into a Stone pint glass, color is light orange when held to the light with rather large bubbles rising to the surface. Half finger head with good retention.

S: Initial smell is piney hops with a strong cedar back bone. Pretty much as advertised. Hints of citrus but not much.

T: Taste is very similar to the smell, but with a stronger citrus flavor on the front end than I had expected given the smell. Cedar is very powerful on the back end almost overpowering the malts however there is a slight caramel malt presence that appears in a delayed aftertaste. Interesting.

M: The larger bubbles noticed in the pour really come through here as the foam spreads throughout the mouth upon drinking. Making this beer seem more viscous than it might otherwise.

D: The mustyness of the cedar might throw some people off, but I quite enjoy it. It's a rather heavy beer and at 1pt 9oz it might be too much for most. 1 bottle will be more than enough for me.

Overall I'm really glad I've gotten to try this as it is a neat departure from the traditional IPA I'm used to. I would definitely drink this again.

Thanks Deuane.

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml magnum bottle, bought from the brewery for $9, poured into a small snifter.

Appearance: Dark-orange, ruby red-ish color with a light tan head. A quarter inch of tight foam reduces to a thin, spotty layer within a couple minutes. Not completely clear, but not cloudy either. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Cedar is very prominent but mixes well with the sweet, resinous, citrusy hop aroma. A bit of caramel maltiness comes through the wood upon subsequent whiffs. A very complementary mix of wood and hops which usually doesn't work for me.

Taste: Appropriately tastes like what you smell in a humidor but not overwhelmingly so. A bit of muted vanilla in the middle and a lingering pine/fir flavor from the mix of cedar and West-Coast hops (at least some Centennial I assume) in the finish. A slightly sweet caramel flavor is present throughout and is well balanced by a decent amount of bitterness, although not enough IBUs to stand out among the other strong flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. A smooth mouthfeel, aided by the cedar which also has a slightly drying effect in the back of the mouth after a while. The wood really lingers in a good way and mixes with the caramel sweetness which hangs around as well.

Drinkability: Not a session beer with all these big flavors, but it really hides the alcohol well. I probably could have drank the whole bottle even though I split it; I'll be back for more as this is a completely different beer than the straight-up Jai Alai.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

A: This poured a hazy bright copper with some light tan head.
S: It smelled like apricot and candied pineapple, with some cedar and grapefruit and honey.
T: It tasted like grapefruit and apricot and dry cedar, with sugary caramel and herbal bitterness. It had a harsh and lasting bitter aftertaste.
M: It was oily and slick with some carbonation. A bit light but pretty good.
D: This had a great scent and taste with nice body. But the harshness in the aftertaste made it more difficult to drink. Very enjoyable IPA, but not quite top tier.

A - Pours a hazy amber-orange, beautiful lacing.

S - Orange, grapefruit, cedar. It all adds up to an aroma near to sinsemilla.

T - Wow... sinsemilla again, in a good way. This is a very complex beer.

M - Refreshing. Makes you look forward to the next sip.

D - I loved this beer. It rivals the best IPA's I've ever had, bar none.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jai Lai has become one of my favorite IPAs, so without doubt I'm quite eager to pop this one open...

A - A beautiful cascading pour... Three fingers of rich creamy slightly rocky light khaki colored head that is intertwined with some large chunky bubbles... Excellent retention... Loaded with small bubbled carbonation starts slow and builds to a quick pace as it rises to the top of the glass... Loads of lacing cling to the sides of the glass... The color is a slightly bronzed orange...

S - Bright ripe oranges and red grapefruit are at the forefront... Also present are the cedar notes which are reminiscent of an empty cigar box... The interplay between the citrus and cedar is remarkable... Also present are some bready malt undertones and a tinge of spiciness...

T - Bursting with flavor... Citrus dominated by oranges, the cedar, and bready malts come together and assault the pallete right of the bat... Wonderful depth and complexity... The cedar and grapefruit compete for supremacy on the aftertaste as both linger for a while... Ultimately the grapefruit wins...

M - Medium bodied... Lush... Slightly creamy... Remarkably engaging... Refreshing... Very light carbonation on the tongue... Juicy most of the way but turns a tad dry on the finish...

D - I believe this was the first cedar aged beer that I've ever tried and I walk way impressed... The cedar adds layers of depth and complexity in terms of aroma, taste, and overall drinkability... I would gladly drink this when given the opportunity and look forward to trying additional cedar aged offerings from Cigar City and others... A job well done...

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Jai Alai Cedar Aged IPA pours clear golden amber with a nice big creamy off white head which leaves decent lacing as it falls.

The aroma is of mellow floral hops and bready lightly caramel malt.

The flavor is unique, the Jai Alai IPA has been mellowed somewhat by the wood aging, imparting a slightly vanilla note. The hops are still very present but mellowed somewhat as noted in the nose. Ripe tropical fruit, resinous pine and muted citrus with the lightly caramel bready malts.

The mouthfeel is full and incredibly smooth and creamy especially as it warms.

Well I have to say that I am impressed by the treatment they have given the Jai Alai IPA, it is very smooth and very drinkable. I think I am on the fence however as to whether I like it or the regular Jai Alai IPA better. Eh, why choose, Cigar City makes great beer!

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Orange / brown unfiltered beer. Some sediment. Lots of haze.

S: Orange, grapefruit, cedar tree, and oak.

T: Grapefruit and cedar. Very "challenging" for most people in our tasting, but I really enjoy it. Somewhat astringent and not as crisp as I'd expect. Honey aftertaste.

M: Good texture. High quantity of very fine carbonation. Above-normal viscosity for the style.

D: I really enjoy this, although that's not the average opinion here. ABV and the flavors are well balanced. It's got good malts to balance the bitterness. Nicely done.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Review from 12/15/10. I'm assuming this is the right Humidor Series IPA. The label looked different, but this is the closest I could find.

The color of this brew is a hazy copper with some hues of peach and amber. The hazy nature is likely the result of bottle conditioning. A white foamy 1 finger thick head forms atop the liquid with good lingering qualities. The only way to rid the beer of its head is to drink it and have the head lace the glass, which it does a good job doing.

A floral bouquet greets my nose with notes of lilac and lily of the valley. Some honey helps smooth the bouquet providing a pleasant balance. I also detect some woody tones.

Starting out the taste is a dose of flowery hops combined with smoked cherry wood. Honey sweetens the deal and mellows the flavors. The bittering in the end reminds me of pine tar but does not take away from what the beer is creating. The sum of flavors equals a very balanced and pleasing IPA.

This beer has a wonderful medium full mouthfeel with some nice creamy qualities. A stinging bitterness gently lingers with a satisfying amount of bitterness.

This is a tasty lovely beer and I would drink it again.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Finally Cigar City is being distributed to Alabama and I would assume that this review would be the 1st review of said Cigar City beer sold in Alabama.

a: Golden/Yellow in color, very clear though still minimal hop haze (good thing) with a rocky white head that has pillows that wont go away.

s: The smell is amazingly complex. Cedar hits you up front with some Citrus and Earthy tones. Some vanilla is present, but only as the beer warms up. Not overly hoppy as I expected, you can still smell a good malt base.

t: A very well balanced IPA lies beneath this beer which serves as a great base. Taste up front is wood earthy notes, cedar. The back end is mostly citrus. I am very surprised how well the cedar goes with the hope here.

m: medium body seems really dry, which I like. The cedar just coats your mouth as you keep drinking.

d: Very great beer. One of the best wood aged IPA's out there IMHO. I could drink this again and soon.

Thanks again Cigar City for coming to our great state!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Pours a hop-hazed bright gold color with a fluffy head. Retention is good.

S: Ceder, wet wood, bright/earthy hops, and a firm malt base. Pretty straight forward, but really unique and delicious

T: Almost like Jai Alai with a ton of ceder...lots of wood, wet wood, bitter hops, touch of vanilla and a little spice. Hops are pretty citrusy, but the wood plays well off it

MF/D: Semi-dry feel, medium in body, ceder finish.

Notes: Really glad I picked this up...very unique, but very delicious. Not necessarily to-style or anything, but I can't seem to put it down.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing