Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 05-26-2009

3.79/5  rDev -6%

A: This brew presents a perfect appearance, with a massive, rocky head, great retention, crystal clarity, and a light copper tint.

S: Bouquet is well presented, with heavy doses of Pacific northwest hops. No cedar is found in the nose.

T: Body is off-dry, with heavy emphasis on the PNW hops. Pine and citrus give way to a juicy malt sweetness. I really can't pick up on any cedar though.

M: The body is full, with a touch of tingly carbonation and hop astringency.

D: Overall, a great IPA and definitely worth checking out. I have to knock of a few points though due to the absence of anything resembling cedar. Since the label suggested pairing a cigar, I took the liberty of pairing this with an Onyx Robusto, after enjoying the beer solo, of course.

4.31/5  rDev +6.9%

via trade with BastionShaw

Poured from a 750ml into Boulevard Smokestack Goblet. Unsure of freshness as I did not see a freshness date. I didn't expect too much from this as it had pegged my 'over-hype' meter into the danger zone.

The aroma from across the room -- as I did not pour this myself -- was unreal. A nice combination of hops and 'weird' wood (cedar) in the nose. Not a typical crazy west coast hop aroma, which was a welcome surprise.

Visually, it is a nice looking beer, but nothing too special. The pour was good, but the head didn't make a lasting impression. Amber color with a delicate off white foam.

Wow, there is a lot going on when this beer hits the tongue. The combination of the cedar -- which I dislike in some other beers -- with whatever else is happening here gives a very tannic, tobacco-like sensation. It almost feels like a gimmick coming from a brewery named 'Cigar City', but it's so different from any other beer I have tasted, that I can't help but want more. A tempered, but sturdy, hop flavor balances the cedar perfectly. The malt is just enough to provide some structure, but I could use a smidge more. Flavor wise, this is one of the more interesting beers, I've tasted. I really enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel is spot on for what I need out of a wood aged IPA. Enough carbonation to scrub with enough body to keep it from becoming a hot cedar mess. It's perfect for what this beer needs.

Drinkability: Well, as much as I love this beer, it's not the most drinkable bottle in the bunch. I split the 750 with one person, and it was almost too much. After every taste, I let go of my glass while the 'tannic' woody flavors took hold. I really wanted more, but I needed a quick break after every pull. Alcohol is completely hidden, but the cedar / tobacco balance really dries the mouth. Split 3 ways, I would be clamoring for more, but 2 ways was almost more than I wanted.

Overall, I would love to have another bottle of this. Actually, I'd love 2. One to cellar away (yes, the heresy!!!) to see how the hops and cedar play over the years, and another to drink soon.

This is a great beer. The hype may be overblown, but not by much. You should try it at least once. I'd like to have more.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this great beer! Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a clear amber color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger and a half worth of tan head is achieved with a moderate pour, leaving some decent lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Pine, bitter hops, citrus flavors such as orange and lemon. There is a distinct earthiness to the nose also, and I can definitely smell the cedar.

Taste - A well done east coast IPA. While this is a bit more sweet than the nose, it is a very balanced beer. The bitter hops are at the forefront which melds with semi-bitter citrus flavors explained in the smell. The whole thing ends with a slight caramel/malt backbone toning down the bitterness, but not making it a cloyingly sweet IPA. As the beer warms more grassy/earthy notes come through, and I really can taste the cedar (or is it all in my head?)/

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - Quite so. I'm quaffing this down right now without an issue. No alcohol taste nor burn. A very nice IPA and am very glad I was able to try it. Went into this expecting the "worst" knowing it was from technically the east coast (no offense everyone, just don't like many east coast IPAs). Damn drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

750 mL bottle poured into a balloon glass. Thanks to chowdahead for sharing this one. I was a little skeptical of cedar aging, but that went away instantly. This is a fantastic aged IPA, where the hop presence was still strong, and the caramel notes subdued by the bite of the cedar, which I loved. I recently tried Southern Tier Oak Aged Unearthly, and loved it, but I may tip my cap to this one a little more. A great beer to try should it cross your path.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours an extremely hazed orange amber color with moderate poof of off white head, decent retention and sticky lacing with some oily residue. Scent is dominated by tropical and citrus - grapefruit and mango - backed up by some pine and ceder scents. Only a faint hint of pale malts. Taste brings tropical fruits backed up by some grapefruit - the ceder aging adds a hint of pine but also softens the bitterness. Slightly noticeable alcohol presence. Nice medium body, oily with a very very dry finish. A really really good base beer in Jai Alai, but to be honest, the ceder aging only really softens the bitterness and adds a modest touch of character.

4.27/5  rDev +6%

A- Pours and nice orange color.

S- Picking up orange lemon and even mangos and even a hint of cedar.

T-Hops with notes of mangos and orange and lemon. Alittle woodsy after taste from the cedar.

M- semi dry crisp alot of flavors going on through out the sip.

D- I like this beer series love to try more.

Cheers...

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

I love the smell of cedar and cooking with it so this beer couldn't go wrong! Pours an amazing opaque ruby color with a fine white head. Smell is very cedary with some mild pineyness and citrus notes. Taste is cedar forward with some ruby red grapefruit in the hops and a smooth clean finish. It is a beaver's dream!

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Poured into a DFH snifter... Starts with a very nice white pillowy head with very nice retention and lacing. Beer is a cloudy amber color

S- Has a nice aroma... somewhat sweet. Thought I'd get more earthy notes, but not there. Smells delicious none the less

T- This one tastes like it was brewed on the west coast... pretty intense hop taste with the same hint of sweetness in the aroma, present in the taste. Finishes dry and earthy

M- Light/medium body with medium carbonation

D- A very nice east coast IPA... one of the best I've had. Don't remember what I payed for it, but pretty sure I'd pay it again... definitely give this one a try

CHEERS!!

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a hazy deep amber color with a large creamy beige head. The aroma is pale malts with touches of caramel, woody spicy cedar, with grassy, citrus and herbal hops. The flavor is pale malts with more caramel than in the nose. Grassy and citrusy hops. The cedar provides a tingly spiciness that sets this apart from other beers. The finish is dry and bitter with the addition of the cedar that is different. Medium bodied with moderate bitterness. Extremely drinkable.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear deep amber body with 3 fingers of creamy tan head. Fantastic retention and solid rings of lace. I couldn't be more pleased with how this looks - it's clear yet rich, imposing yet delicate. Fantastic looking IPA.

S: Sweet malt, vegetal hops, and rich, sweet wood. Plenty of vanilla, and yet also some cedar dryness. I'd like some more pop from the hops, but this is still excellent.

T: Starts out hoppy, then turns malty and woody. The cedar is completely distinctive, and yet doesn't threaten to overpower. Cleanly bitter finish. Excellent.

M: Medium bodied; starts a little sharp carbonation-wise, but smooths out nicely.

D: The alcohol starts to peek through a little bit, and the woodiness gets a bit heavy. Still, not too bad.

Notes: I've been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time, and it didn't disappoint. It's my first cedar-aged beer, and I love the hint of humidor. I was afraid the cedar would get oppressive, but it kept itself perfectly in check throughout. Far better than regular Jai-Alai, and a real treat.

Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle to oversized wine glass. No ABV, date or batch number indicated. $13 at my local bottleshop.

A: The creamy/frothy head rises to 3 fingers, light brown with orange tints. Very long lasting. The body has a stunning creamcicle orange hue, hazy and completely opaque from being unfiltered and bottle conditionined. Good lacing but not quite great.

S: Light malts, primarily bready with supporting notes of caramel. Hops are heavy with SUPER fresh aromas, especially for an IPA that spent some time on wood. Dried orange peel and grapefruit stand out. The alcohol is probably more noticeable than it should be, now that I know what the ABV is. Slightly solventy, there are some prevailing notes of Sharpie marker.

T: Just enough hops for a serious hop head. Bright and juicy. Additional flavors of fermented peach and pineapple plus a touch of pepper.

M: Full body with creamy texture. The level of effervescence is just a bit low for my preference. Finishes with a bold and heavy bitterness.

D: Honestly, this beer hardly resembles the unmodified Jai Alai. The cedar transforms it into something truly unique, but I prefer the original a little bit more.

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Well it is definitely unfilitered. Very cloudy and resembles apple cider. Nice head buildup and retention with about two fingers worth of sticky white bubbles clinging to the edge of the glass. The head is forming into a solid mass, nearing milkshake viscosity. Very interesting.

S: First sniff was Jai Alai through and through. Second sniff revealed the wood aging behind this one. The base beer is full of wonderful fruity hops with some nice bitterness as well. The cedar provides a nice woody aroma that lends some tobacco and bbq type aromas. I love Jai Alai, and this little twist on it is a nice change of pace.

T: The cedar aging definitely had more of an effect on the taste of this beer, rather then the nose. The beer appears to be a bit more dry and bitter than its counterpart. Some of the big juicy hop flavors are set aside for a wonderful earthy and near savory wood flavor. Having a hard time describing this one. Perhaps the hops faded during the aging process, but the base beer is still distinguishable behind the wood flavors. I almost want to venture to say it was a younger, fresher cedar that this was aged on because it has a very vinous, "green" wood type of flavor. Very unique IPA.

M: The thick and foamy head that developed on this beer made for a very creamy mouthfeel. It was similar to a nitro mouthfeel for me. Great carbonation for an aged IPA.

D: As this beer warms, it is really turning into a beauty. Very easy drinking, as Jai Alai is, but just a twinge different as far as the flavor goes. 11 bucks is certainly a fair price for a 750 ml of this beer. Great buy and glad I got to try it.

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

Huge thanks to my man, Kiefdog, for hooking me up with this in our last trade! I've really wanted to try this one for awhile.

Big bottle poured into a stemmed Allagash glass. First beer to be poured into this one. Pours a very cloudy dark rusty-orange with a massive 3-finger beige head on top. Excellent retention, and tons of sticky lace stuck around. Wow. This is cedar-aged for sure. Smells like my humidor, obviously, given the series name. This followed by faint tobacco, fresh spices, and mild citrus. I loved the nose on this beer. Excellent.

The mouth is full for the style. Carbonation level is about mid-level. It bites at moments, but at other times becomes very smooth and bordering on flat. The flavor on this one is far different than the original Jai Alai. The citrus aspects are pushed out of the way by a big semi-sweet spiciness that I'll attribute to the cedar. Very woodsy tasting. The bitterness makes itself known on the back end, but leaves a mildly spicy aftertaste. This is a great autumn IPA. I like the spice characteristics, especially given the season. I think I prefer the original version, but this was a treat to try.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a murky coppery-brown with a finger of foamy head that laced and retained well. Aroma of pine cones, citrus, grapefruit and caramel. The cedar aging plays off the hoppiness classically, and creates a woody sort of bite as opposed to just a slap of hops. Mouthfeel is decent, with a medium body and bitter aftertaste. I really enjoyed this beer, and thanks again to BigBlacke for sending this in a trade showing me that the South can make a few decent beers if they tried.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to Cheesemoose for this one.

A:dark copper with a thin head that leaves a good lace

S: citrus with a slight cedar aroma but citrus is the order

T: bitter fruity cedar with some sweetness from the malt bill, not a hint of alcohol

M: medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation for the style

D: not your usual IPA, drinkable but I couldn't drink more tham a couple

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

A: extreme likeness to apple cider in consistency and clarity, very thin foam head coats surface.

S: unlike any IPA i've ever smelled, hops peek out from a barleywine and cedar backbone.

T: an exceptional blast of quality hops that are supported by a flavorful cast of dark fruits (plums, grapes, figs) and a dry wood aftertaste.

MF/D: tickles the tongue with cool bubble, leaves a warm dry finish... easily enjoyable alone but more fun with friends. certainly dont mind the cedar aging. the subdued hops are a fresh, but pleasant, change of pace from west coast IPA's.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a murky and dirty brownish/orange color with a thin white head on top with decent head retention. Sheets of bubbly lacing lined the glass nicely. The aromas were heavily laden with the cedar as it shined the whole way through. Underneath the cedar, however, was a nice duo of pineapple and grapefruit, earthy hops and pine, as well as honey sweetness.

Taste mirrored the aromas quite well with the cedar being the most noticeable flavor above all. The balance of malts and hops is quite evident from the first sip with the cedar just cutting through. It surrounds the palate nicely and finishes upon a gentle hop bitterness. Quite crisp and dry throughout, but still as satisfying.

Mouthfeel was light to medium-bodied with adequate amounts of carbonation on the inner cheeks and tongue. Drinkability was quite good.. the cedar puts the whole taste experience on another level that I've never had before. I had to refill my glass after completing my first- the flavors were very intriguing. Never thought cedar would work well with an IPA until this CC beer. Prost!

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to tpd975 for this extra, I'm always interested in trying new IPAs, a cedar aged IPA sounds interesting to say the least. Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass (quickly becoming my new go-to-glassware). The beer pours a hazy copper/orange with a murky ruby center. The head quickly rises to the top of the glass, it's a very frothy soapy white, leaving thick bubbly lacing behind.

The smell sharp, pungent, citrus hops first and foremost. Nectarines, tangerines and pineapple backed by some sweet melon and a hint of sharper orange peels. There is a slight candied sugar backbone, but the sweetness is mostly citrus notes. The balance in the nose comes mostly from the cedar. It's a very distinct, natural woody scent that works well with all the citrus. The nose is the best part of this beer for sure. As the beer warms the cedar notes come to the fore, and the smell gets even better.

The taste follows the smell pretty closely, but the flavors aren't as distinct as they appeared they would be from the nose. The hops are still first and foremost, and all the balance comes from the cedar, but the flavors are a bit muddled in the finish. The citrus and cedar are accompanied by a sharp pine-cone hop, which adds pleasant bitterness, but is a bit overpowering.

The alcohol is well hidden and the beer is well carbonated. The beer has a crisp, bitter finish. I won't have a hard time drinking this entire bottle, so it gets high marks for drinkability.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

I was very excited when I saw this at Pinnochio's. I poured from a bomber into a snifter, the pour is hazy orange with a fluffy white head. This leaves nice rings of lace. The nose is woody and floral, pine, and cedar dominate. Piney,herbal hops with a backdrop of cedar and tobacco rule the tongue. It finishes with a sticky cedar and some bitterness. The beer is medium in body,slightly sticky mouthfeel, highly carbonated. The beer met my high expectations.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours thick, with a half-glass full of off white head over a hazy amber body. Head fades to a thick, foamy film. Tons of lacing.

Aromas of resiny pine, plenty of cedar, and plenty of sweet caramel maltiness. You can just smell that they put some serious work into this one.

Flavor is terrific - aromas all carry over, with a good smoky quality layered on top. Hop forward and really close to DIPA world.

Pretty darn creamy up front on the palate, with a sharp bite in the finish.

I housed this puppy with a quickness... you've been warned.

4.51/5  rDev +11.9%

750 ml bottle from the Rare Beer of the Month Club; poured into a goblet.

A - Beer is orange-amber and slightly cloudy but not opaque. It has a thin, incomplete layer of off white foam and lots of lacing on the glass.

S - The aroma is amazingly complex and inviting. Its base is the super-hoppy, grapefruit smell of a classic West Coast IPA. On top of that is the spicy wood aroma of a fine cigar box and a whiff of alcohol.

T - The taste is first dominated by hop bitterness and grapefruit notes, then the cedar wood flows in. The wood both mellows and adds complexity to the taste. There are also some malt notes and alcohol.

M - The mouthfeel is light enough to be drinkable but has enough body to be suitable for the style. The alcohol is warming.

D - This beer is definitely for sipping and contemplating, not chugging. American IPAs are not my thing and I'm not a hophead, but I am a huge fan of this beer. The flavor and aroma are among the most complex and interesting I've ever had. The cedar character is incredible and very similar to the effect Dogfish Head gets with Palo Santo wood.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Growler thanks to fogdog. Poured into my duvel tulip.

A: deep golden orange, full two fingers of cream hued head, tons of sticky lace

S: holy cedar chips, This smells like a new set of dresser drawers that someone spilled a fresh IPA in. Once you get past the cedar the citrus fruits really shine. Unique for sure.

T: The cedar does not let up in the flavor. Nice mix of citrus and pine help to balance the cedar out. smooth malty finish.

M: Medium body moderate carbonation

D: Overall a strangely tasty IPA. Not something I could drink all the time but a refreshing change of pace for sure.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Slightly chilled into a balloon/snifter

Deep orange gold in color like a nice cognac nice fluffy off white head with nice retention and lacing. It looks classy like a fine cigar. especially in this ballon/snifter glass.

Fairly light smell was expecting a behemoth of a nose on this one, but there's sweet fruits light pine and maybe some cedar but it could just be a placebo effect.

Taste is certainly interesting, lots of bitterness from the hops but there's also an earthy sweetness that presents itself in the form of almost candied tobacco, and a light cedar character. I was really expecting this to be a wood bomb, but it's really well done.

Mouthfeel is silky with some nice carbonation that explodes just at the end. Well executed.

I would be satisfied with a bomber, not exactly sessionable but definitely not hard to drink. The alcohol is present but not overwhelming by any means.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy medium caramel brown with a 2-3 finger frothy off-white head. Excellent head retention. Excellent lacing throughout.

Smell: Sweet floral hops, caramel, warm spices and cedar.

Taste: Sweet citrus up front followed by black pepper and cedar in the middle and ending with grapefruit bitterness. The aftertaste is a mix of cedar and bitter grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high drinkability. Goes down quite smooth.

Overall: Great variation of Jai Alai. I'm not sure that I would want to drink the cedar aged version all the time but I'm glad I bought it. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

3.57/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Jai alai cedar.  Turbid, hazy copper color.  Sweet fruity smell, with a bit of booze as well.  Metallic hop flavor, mild on the metal.  If I really try to, I can taste the cedar. Heavy on the hop bitterness, heavy on the malts, but the malt clearly takes a backseat. Not sure what hops were used but they are very bitter. Wish there was a stronger aroma hop presence. For the amount of flavor here, not as drinkable as it should be...too high abv.

Addendum: I just sipped the dregs, not sure why, but it was painfully hoppy. Was this dry hopped?

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing