Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 05-26-2009

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Dave (dukedevil0) for busting this out for New Beer "Saturday". Served in an Upland pint glass.

A - A couple fingers of darker blonde foam that dissipates and leaves some patchy lacing and a nice cap. Really dark and hazy glowing red-orange color - perhaps one of the darkest IPAs I've had in a while.

S - The smell is super-intense and full of cedar and ripe Valencia orange. I'm a little confused - the smell reminds me of cedar chests, orange wood polish, and tobacco, which I generally wouldn't associate with beer, but somehow it's good nonetheless. I think the hops and humidor have combined to create a dank earthy character which I also enjoy. I think the wood presence might be a little to aggressive at the expense of the IPA flavors.

T - The taste, while still having plenty of cedar, is less woody and more orange peel, tropical fruits, and piney hops. There's some nice doughy malt presence the balances things out. Some nice mild bitterness in the finish - I get the sense that most of the hop flavor has been imparted from dry-hopping, which has keep the alpha acids down.

M - The mouthfeel is similar to many of my other favorite IPAs - lower carbonation with only a touch of zing, chewy medium body, soft texture, and lots of residual resins.

D - The cedar flavor builds a little bit keeping this from being a super session beer, but the other qualities are eminently drinkable - great ABV, carbonation, solid taste. I'd have one of these to mix things up, but it would never be my go-to brew.

I'm guessing I'll like regular Jai Alai a little more, but this was an excellent brew nonetheless.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle shared by afdempse. Thanks Adam!

The beer is transparent and orange colored, sporting a half inch of white head. Lasting retention and ample lacing.

The aroma is unique and wonderful. A bold scent of freshly lit cigars and cigar smoke take center stage, followed by floral hops.

The taste is not quite as delectable and intriguing as the aroma, but well balanced and enjoyable nonetheless. I can understand why some may dislike this beer, as it is certainly not for everyone. When viewed solely as an IPA or DIPA, this will not hold its own when matched against the upper tier brews of this ilk. That said, Humidor IPA is a complex, unique, and creative brew to be sipped and savored. I applaud Cigar City for this "outside the box" beer. While I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did, I would certainly have this again. Recommended.

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for half of this beer

Review adapted from notes taken 6/4/11

Appearance: A robust, golden orange - nice lacing, head is kind of fluffy, kind of creamy

Smell: Absolutely REEKS of cedar - this smell reminds me of a chest that my parents use to store sweaters, and the result is complete olfactory confusion - after much contemplation, I have decided that I love this - aside from the cedar, the aroma has some nice pale, biscuity malts and some tropical fruits - some citrus, some pine

Taste: Really interesting, but really not that mind-blowing - nicely balanced hops and malts - sweet, biscuity but mostly pale malts - hops are the typical Jai Alai affair, juicy and tropical - a lot of grapefruit, sweet and bitter - the cedar works really well with this, adding what seems like additional bitterness and a tangy/tart hint

Mouthfeel: Medium body, very smooth, nicely carbonated

Overall: So weird, but so good

There are so many permutations of Jai Alai that keeping track is a challenge. This is the best one I've had thus far. At first the smell made me think that I shouldn't consume this liquid, but after I got over that, it was quite enjoyable.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

Provided by a fellow BA at a recent tasting, sorry brotha your tag slips my mind. Thanks!

With this brew I felt like I was going to see a movie knowing nothing about it, and coming out amazed.

Poured in to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Brew has a nice light amber hue to it with the head forming nicely. The head stuck around for a good amount of time and was slightly an off white color. The aroma is where the experience starts with this brew, as the cedar just delights the senses. So not knowing about the aroma I sat there enjoy just the aroma for a good amount of time. Taste and aroma is a crucial part of any brew with out both it fails and this brew did not fail. The taste was of a slightly mellow citrus and sweet malt background. The cedar came out of this brew and balanced everything lovely and seemed to add a warming sensation to it. The brew was incredibly smooth and enjoyable. Will be seeking this one out again and hopefully will make a pit stop at the brewery it self.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Great Divide Brussels glass.

I just returned from shoveling snow and was looking forward to a beer. I was of a small minority of people who wasn't blown away by regular Jai Alai, but I thought I would give Cigar City another try since it is so highly regarded.

Much like regular Jai Alai, the beer pours a rich chestnuty orange color with a thick white head which lingers for minutes before slowly retreating to some nice lacing.

The aroma is of citrusy hops upfront which recedes to a strong cedar scent. I think the cedar smells great...very earthy, musty and different.

The taste combines the citrusy of the hops with some well balanced malt flavor. The cedar taste provides a smoky quality which really ties the beer together well.

This is a medium bodies beer with an appropriate level of carbonation. The drinkability is also quite good. I could linger over a bottle and have a very enjoyable evening.

Jai Alai IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing