Guava Grove Saison - Scuppernong And Peppercorn | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by RomaniIteDomum on 10-08-2009

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

I never thought I would be able to add a new beer.

Pours a dark orangy color with a bit of froathy head to it. I wish I had some of the original to compare to as I thought that was a bit less orange. Gotta love those scuppernongs.

The smell has quite a bit going on. There is some healthy funk, pepper, and tart/sweet guava smell.

Just like in the nose the taste is pretty busy. A lot of tart guava and funk with a little pepper bite up front with a smooth grape finish. I have to say I like the original better, but I especially like what the peppercorns are doing.

This was a bit more smooth that I remember it being. Not overly carbonated, nice body.

I would like to see this one again. It was a nice brew with some very interesting characteristics. I thought the original was more sessionable, but this is a fun taste journey.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Another gem I was able to acquire from my good friend down south. I was really usure what to make of this one, but went with it just the same and was far from dissapointed. Served from a swingtop growler and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/16/2009.

The pour was nice. Hazy mango colored ale comes out with a light head of white just capped off on the very top ever so nicely. Aroma is really strange and enticing at the same time. Rich notes of guava, tart friuit notes and a light, biting note of pepper are all very present. Almost notes of grape skin as it starts to warm up which gives it a subtle, almost wine like texture. Very full flavor here with loads of fresh guave fruit right up front. Touches of pepper, hints of grapes, again giving it a very tart wine like flavor especially in the finish. Nice and smooth, even carbonation and light ABV would lead it to be a drinker but the strong flavor makes you sit and enjoy it.

Overall a very solid beer. One of the most unique things I can ever say that I tried. I would love to have this one on tap as it seems to really be quite the intresting mix.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Pours a hazy orange hue with a nice white head. Mild retnetion with some spotty lace.

S: Aromas of light sour guava, yeast, and sweet grapes. Very mild pepper spice as well.

T: Lightly sweet up front, tannic grape skins, tart fruit, and a touch of peppercorn burn in the finish.

M: On the lighter side of medium, nice zippy carbonation, somewhat dry finish with light peppercorn burn.

D: Pretty good. Totally differnt beer than the original which tasted almost as if it had brett.

Guava Grove Saison - Scuppernong And Peppercorn from Cigar City Brewing