Jai Alai IPA - Papaya | Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 01-07-2010

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Pours a dark honey color with about a finger of off white head. Smells of papaya and pineapple. Tropical to say the least. Certainly papaya on the tongue. This beer is rather sweet. I could see this being overly sweet for some. There is a slight malt backbone but I can work with that. Surprisingly for how sweet it is, it finishes incredibly dry. Not too bad. Glad I tried it.

A-amber body with a white wispy head
S-nice fruitiness to align with the hops.
t-taste just lime the normal jai Ala I. Nothing to really differentiate it. Still a nice hop taste to it. Citrus hops fo sho
M-medium bodied and oh so smooth
O-good, but just like their normal I pa.

A: Pours a nice amber hue with a tall white head. Good retention and lace.

S: Nice citrus aroma with mild more tropical fruit notes. The Papaya did not really come through very much.

T: Lots of citrus, mild pine and a very light dash of the tropical fruit. Medium in body, smooth great carbonation.

M: Medium in body, smooth refreshing.

D: Good wish it had a bit more of the tropical fruit character.

750 ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Received in recent trade.

A - Very clear yellowish / orange with nice 1 1/2 finger head that lasted quite a while. Left some nice lacing throughout.

S - Lots of juicy hops. Definite hints of citrus, grapefruit, pine, and some sweetness obviously from the papaya.

T & M - Similar to the nose - but not as pronounced. Papaya was not real evident, but added a little sweetness at the end. Up front, lots of hops and some sweet malt character. Medium bodied, with good carbonation.

Overall - I really enjoyed this. It didn't have as much of the papaya sweetness that I was expecting and was more of a classic IPA, and reminiscent of the original Jai Alai. Good beer and I'd definitely buy it again if I could.

Served in a La Chouffe Snifter

A- caramel color

S- Papaya and some sweet malts

T- Definitely notice the papaya, with a nice sweet malt and citrus hop balance.

M- Light to medium mouthfeel.

O- Liked this one a little more than the cedar IPA from Cigar City. Still not a favorite but would recommend to another IPA fan.

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Seems my rumoured love of Cigar City has spread far & wide - rec'd bottles from steelcitybrew, moose3285, & beerisheaven in short order the past couple weeks. First bottle downed at a gathering; this is #2, opened up with my wife.

Pours like a straight-up IPA, strolling between copper & light orange. Clear as gin. Light pine hops, malts sweetness, & feathery touch of papaya in the nose. Pretty tame.

Papaya IPA has that trademark Jai Alai bitterness that I love so much, but it's cut signifantly by the papaya sweetness. Lovely bitterness, pine needles, floral curtains, & a quieter papaya presence. It's more lurker that Shogo. This is a swigger; the slight sweetness cuts into the strong hops enough that I want to take full mouthfuls of this rather than dainty sips.

Very good beer, very, very good beer, but doesn't live up to the sheer bliss of the other Jai Alai treatments I've had to date. Would love to see more papaya character to relly make this one belch, but hey, I've been so spoiled by Cigar City all I can think is "what if..."

3.98/5  rDev 0%

I split this one with a buddy whom had never had any Cigar City before. We followed it with a Humidor Series Spanish Cedar IPA [I've already rated this from a previous experience]. Needless to say, I think he really enjoyed his Cigar City exposure...

Huge thanks to miamichael2 who sent me up a couple of bottles after I had inquired about the availability and freshness of them recently!

A~orange, somewhat hazy body with a nicely placed layer of head

S~lighter than expected fruit, alongside of an earthy quality; mixed with a blend of tropical hops presence

T~although I was hoping for more fruit to shine through, this was still a tasty beer. Fruit, hops, some malt - a little sweetness, yet very appealing.

M~medium in body, refreshing

O~worth the shot if you get the chance :)

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tasting glass. It poured amber in color with a thin white head clinging to the edges of the glass. It left some moderate lacing on the sides as I drank it as well.

The aroma has a brighter citrus quality to it. I get some notes of grapefruit and pineapple coming through, but I'm not sure I can pick out the papaya. Pretty decent IPA aroma overall.

The taste starts out with more of a floral, brighter citrus flavor. Towards the finish more of the bitter, grapefruit flavor comes out. Again a pretty decent IPA flavor but the papaya doesn't really seem to add anything unique to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall it was a pretty nice drinking IPA. I have never had a papaya beer so I was hoping it added something a little more unique to it. Even though the papaya didn't really come out that much it was still a pretty solid IPA overall.

3.92/5  rDev -1.5%

Consumed at a recent DC area tasting. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pours a light orange color with a thin white head and not much lacing as it goes down. The nose brings forward some really nice tropical and citrus notes with papaya dominating. The flavor is all papaya. Wow, there is a lot of papaya there. Not too complex, but I really like the flavor. Beer is mildly hoppy in the flavor and then the finish is a bit bitter. Really interesting and I'm glad I got to try this one.

3.92/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, medium amber color with over one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Very fruity, like a fruit punch fortified with fresh tropical fruit. Esters seem to play a supporting role, but floral and tropical notes keep it feeling organic, rather than chemical.

T: Begins off-dry, with floral hop aromatics and toasted malt amidst sharp bitterness and restrained acidity. Grain turns more spirituous as hops fade in the middle. A fairly dry brand of caramel defines the finish, but stays grainy, with moderately intense bitterness.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly sticky on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Although this beer was received skeptically, it works as a fruit beer and as an IPA. In fact, the fruity and floral qualities that own the smell and touch the flavor make this more approachable than the standard Jai Alai IPA. Sweetness stays light and mobile on the palate, adding to the appeal. A successful experiment.

3.91/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from the bomber into my DFH Signature Glass.

A--Poured like what I expected an IPA to do. It had a very aggressive 3" inch that was a slightly off-white color. Had syrupy retention throughout the drink. Giving a vigorous swirl produced quite a bit of head that each time.

S--A rich pine, floral smell. There is a slight booze to it as well. Unfortunately, it smells like any other IPA to me. The papaya is too faint or non-existent. Really disappointed.

T--Tastes a lot (read: almost identical) to their other Jai Aalais. Lots of nice hop presence. The floral notes come off and dance on the tongue. Pine is very present as well. Sweetness of the papaya comes through pretty substantially in this beer. It really knocks out the hop flavor and replaces it with the sweetness of the fruit.

M--Very light. There are tons of carbonation bubbles in this beer (and from my DFH glass). So it feels really nice on the tongue. Good mouthfeel over all.

O--It's a very good IPA that can really hold its own. Unfortunately, there's not a lot separating this beer from either the Humidor Series or regular Jai Alai to justify the hefty price ($12.99). I think I'll stick with the regular since I can get more of it for less of a price. But definitely give this one a try if you have the opportunity.

Jai Alai IPA - Papaya from Cigar City Brewing