Jai Alai IPA - Papaya | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 01-07-2010

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tasting glass. It poured amber in color with a thin white head clinging to the edges of the glass. It left some moderate lacing on the sides as I drank it as well.

The aroma has a brighter citrus quality to it. I get some notes of grapefruit and pineapple coming through, but I'm not sure I can pick out the papaya. Pretty decent IPA aroma overall.

The taste starts out with more of a floral, brighter citrus flavor. Towards the finish more of the bitter, grapefruit flavor comes out. Again a pretty decent IPA flavor but the papaya doesn't really seem to add anything unique to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall it was a pretty nice drinking IPA. I have never had a papaya beer so I was hoping it added something a little more unique to it. Even though the papaya didn't really come out that much it was still a pretty solid IPA overall.

Served in a La Chouffe Snifter

A- caramel color

S- Papaya and some sweet malts

T- Definitely notice the papaya, with a nice sweet malt and citrus hop balance.

M- Light to medium mouthfeel.

O- Liked this one a little more than the cedar IPA from Cigar City. Still not a favorite but would recommend to another IPA fan.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Seems my rumoured love of Cigar City has spread far & wide - rec'd bottles from steelcitybrew, moose3285, & beerisheaven in short order the past couple weeks. First bottle downed at a gathering; this is #2, opened up with my wife.

Pours like a straight-up IPA, strolling between copper & light orange. Clear as gin. Light pine hops, malts sweetness, & feathery touch of papaya in the nose. Pretty tame.

Papaya IPA has that trademark Jai Alai bitterness that I love so much, but it's cut signifantly by the papaya sweetness. Lovely bitterness, pine needles, floral curtains, & a quieter papaya presence. It's more lurker that Shogo. This is a swigger; the slight sweetness cuts into the strong hops enough that I want to take full mouthfuls of this rather than dainty sips.

Very good beer, very, very good beer, but doesn't live up to the sheer bliss of the other Jai Alai treatments I've had to date. Would love to see more papaya character to relly make this one belch, but hey, I've been so spoiled by Cigar City all I can think is "what if..."

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

I split this one with a buddy whom had never had any Cigar City before. We followed it with a Humidor Series Spanish Cedar IPA [I've already rated this from a previous experience]. Needless to say, I think he really enjoyed his Cigar City exposure...

Huge thanks to miamichael2 who sent me up a couple of bottles after I had inquired about the availability and freshness of them recently!

A~orange, somewhat hazy body with a nicely placed layer of head

S~lighter than expected fruit, alongside of an earthy quality; mixed with a blend of tropical hops presence

T~although I was hoping for more fruit to shine through, this was still a tasty beer. Fruit, hops, some malt - a little sweetness, yet very appealing.

M~medium in body, refreshing

O~worth the shot if you get the chance :)

Huge thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this beer. I love the Jai Alai series and look forward to drinking this beer.

The beer pours and orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the papaya with some bready malt mixed in. I also get a little bit of toffee and caramel with some floral notes mixed in.

The flavor has a lot of papaya and other citrus notes with some bread and toffee malt. The bitterness is fairly low and the flavor is all about the fruit.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Big thanks goes out to my boy Jefe73 for sending this one my way! Shared this one with a few people at BASC. Served from bottle into a Duck-Rabbit snifter. Poured a hazy orange-yellow with a half finger off-white head that subsided to minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, and passion fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, earth, passion fruit, and earthy hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. This was not my favorite variation of the Jai Alai, but it still wasn't bad by any means. The papaya was hard for me to pick up but it came across as passion fruit on my palate. It wasn't very pronounced in my bottle which was a slight disappointment, but overall the brew was solid. Really glad I got to try this one and to share it with some good friends/BAs while in-line at the BASC release!

A- A medium orange gold color with a white head and even lace.

S- Sweet smell of Papaya even fruitiness with no bold hop notes present at first had to work it's way in.

T- A well balance of hops and papaya. Not sweet like I would expect from the papaya since on the label state unsweetened Papaya but the flavor is still there. Not much of a hop bite but very blended.

M- Semi dry but with very good flavor.

D- Very good IPA. imo I would like it to be a little more sweeter but hey that's why I don't brew.

Cheers..