Jai Alai IPA - Peach | Cigar City Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by Gtreid on 01-15-2010

#860

3.16/5  rDev -27.2%

Arrives a dark orange color, hazy throughout with a white head. No lacing is left behind.
Smell is note of malt, hops and peach. As expected but nothing beyond that.
Taste is malt with hops and a lighter peach note. None of the notable complexity that CCB beers normally show.
Almost full bodied with a light-medium effervescence. Smooth for an IPA, more like a pale ale in that regard. Drying finish and slightly warming. Not much peach, though.
I like the Jai Alai (and I'm not a fan of IPAs normally) but this one missed the target for me. Strange, considering I rated the on-tap Jai Alai much higher. Subtler flavors like peach and blueberry seem particularly difficult to get correct for most brewers. Or maybe the cask is the issue here? I've only had a few cask beers and haven't been impressed with one yet.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

Review from notes taken at Cigar City Brewing taproom on 7/15/12. Poured on draft into a Cigar City shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a medium caramel with orange highlights and a 1 finger foamy white head. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Fresh peaches are dominant with a hint of apricot and a touch of pine. The aroma reminds me of a much better version of Magic Hat #9.

Taste: Peaches everywhere. This one is all about the fresh peaches. I detect a little bit of typical Jai Alai bitterness at the finish. Aftertaste is bittersweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Great drinkability. You could knock back several of these. Very refreshing.

Overall: Very good beer overall. This is a really easy drinking beer despite the 7.5% ABV. The peaches may be off-putting for those looking for a normal IPA, but I really liked it. Give it a shot if you get the chance. I'd love to see this one in bottles.

4.44/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap at Breuklyn Bier Merchants.

Fantasticly pungent, fresh peachy aroma from my glass. Juicy, ripe peaches. Wow, that's incredible.

Hops are at the forefront here, but the peach accents show up strongly to accent the fresh hops. It's like biting into a freshly-picked peach immediately after sipping a top notch single IPA. And for a style I don't normally enjoy, this is great!

I'd happily buy this bottled (fresh only!), and I might even be back tomorrow for another pint. Delicious!

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer is apricot hued and pretty clear with a quarter inch of white head. A delectable aroma, led by fresh juicy peaches. Pleasant scents of tropical fruit and fresh hops. Delicious beer, with ample peach character throughout. Light bodied and easy drinking, with alcohol hidden quite well. Overall, a great IPA that I really enjoyed.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

From tap to taster glass at ChurchKey DC on 6/7/12
*From notes

A: Cloudy, orange-amber in color. A minimal head tops the glass, and minor lacing clings to the walls. Not much of a collar here.

S: Plenty of sweet, fresh peaches, juicy hops and a big league tropical vibe rocks the nostrils.

T: A bit sweet up front, with some really killer peach juice and tropical hops. It begins rounding on the mid, and bitters up with a bit of pine-like hop oil.

M: All of the beers at ChurchKey this evening were a bit lacking in the feel department, this one is no exception. Having said that, this isn't nearly as thin as most, and though it's undercarbonated, it's still well put together.

O: I love peaches. And I love beer. So it'd stand to reason that when the two are "mashed up", I'm a sucker. Lucky for me, this well done IPA does just what I was hoping: showcasing the fruit while packing plenty of the Jai-Alai base. Very well done. I sincerely hope that CCB bottles this, as I'd find someone to ship me a couple of sixers.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Had on tap at Engine 15 in Jacksonville (poured into a pint glass)
A: Straw yellow with no head (or at least none visible to me).
S: Like peaches and hops a little bit of pine. The smell is quite impressive to say the least.
T: Peaches are shy and fade fairly fast, but there is a strong ipa to back it up. hops and pine are evident, its sweater than most ipas.
M: Same as tatse but doesn't really take away from the beer since it's good.
O: A good beer, I'd keep it on hand it I could. Not a top 100 beer, but something that I like that I could drink a lot of it was available. I wouldn't seek it out again but i'd certainly reorder it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

On tap at the cigar city takeover at WOB-coconut creek.

So far i believe this is my favorite variation of jai alai. The peach taste was not over the top, just subtle enough to mellow out with the massive hops of regular jai aiai. I sure wish this would get bottled or be a draft release all year round, i could drink this every day. As with regular jai alai, wonderful fluffy white lacing is left on your glass as you slowly drink this hoppy goodness. The smell of the peach is actually stronger than the taste is, big plus to that as too much peach could have been overwhelming to the taste buds. Going to the florida tap takeover at my WOB-clematis tonite, hope we have this one on tap again!

Jai Alai IPA - Peach from Cigar City Brewing