Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel | Cigar City Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy BarrelHunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by Gtreid on 03-13-2010

Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 329
4.4/5  rDev -4.1%

Draft at Capone's Cigar City event. Pours black with no head with some fine legs, later glasses had a rich dark mocha cap. Sweet, mild brandy on the nose, some lightly bitter chocolate, and a really pretty collage of sweet spices focusing on cinnamon. Flavor starts out with some mildly sweet apple brandy, very soft, then blossoms into this amazing array of cinnamon, cardamom, maybe pumpkin. Absolutely awesome. The bitter, charred elements of the regular version were erased by the brandy barrel, but in contrast to some others I found the spices far more prominent in this one, especially the cinnamon. A later pour near the bottom of the keg were a bit chalky and lost some of the glory of the first pour. One of the best beers I've had, not really a classic imperial stout, but just amazingly expressive and the flavor progression was in my mind for the whole day.

4.65/5  rDev +1.3%

A huge thanks to the incredibly generous Bill who went out, picked up a growler, came to TJ's, shared it with anyone who wanted it, and saved a glass for me. He even waited there til I arrived to make sure that I got it! Here's to lots of good beer karma for Bill.

Pours a nearly opaque deep brown that borders on black. Only the edges of the glass betray the black hole of this beer. The beer is flat as anything. Reminds me of BA Speedway. In that case, I am encouraged. The swirl produces only slight bubbles that subside quickly, though it does adorn the walls of the glass with a sticky wall that produces very sexy legs.

I give the glass another quick swirl before burying my nose in it. Not surprisingly, there is a gnarly aroma of brandy right off the bat. As I continue to swirl and smell, tobacco, toffee, oak, and some warm vanilla notes also manifest themselves nicely. The brandy doesn't seem to overshadow the beer at all. Instead, it is like a nice accompaniment to the guitar solo that is the beer.

Finally, it is time to take a sip. I gently tip my glass towards my lips and take some in. The brandy really sits back here and allows the beer to shine in all its glory. A nice light roastiness really brings out warm woody oak and vanilla notes. The tobacco is again a focal point, this time flanked by some light spices. Cinnamon is the main one that I can make out. For a big beer aged in barrels that begot booze, there are no alcohol flavors. The finish brings along dark fruits - dates and raisins, that really round this out. What a top-notch brew!

Incredibly smooth, which is probably obvious from the lack of carbonation. The finish has a nice creamy texture to it. The consistency is thick, almost Dark Lord-esque, but it all works together flawlessly. If not for how utterly unattainable this beer is, I could drink this every day. I really had to force myself not to drink it too quickly, knowing that I might never have another chance to try it.

2012 swing top growlier filled a little over a week ago.

A - Black body, 1/2 finger of dark brown head that forms slowly.

S - Chocolate, dark fruits, a bit of booze.

T - Chocolate, dark fruits, some pepper spice, brandy, hint of apple, cinnamon, wood/oak.

M - Very thick. Low carbonation, very smooth.

This beer is amazing. I've had the bourbon aged version as well, not sure which is better. They're like boozy milkshakes.

4.43/5  rDev -3.5%

Had 2 on tap in a sniffer at the source.

I don't know about anyone else but reviewing A RIS is one of the hardest "beers" to review. at this level these are almost like brandy the name of the beer has because of where its aged.

A: Dark as night, did I say dark yes its black. I have seen motor oil less dark. Blacker than black.Yet up in the sunlight there are hints of orange, caramel etc It had a nice inch of head that has foam clinging to the glass for quite a while, brown lacing. What is funny most good RIS has these characters, and is hard for me to tell a difference, I guess I need a side by side, wait I did 1 here.

S: Well as in the name this beer is aged in apple brandy, so what hit you first is alcohol. as expected. Very nice smell to me. after you get past that, there are no hops detected of course, then you get burnt chocolate, cinnamon sweetness, Apple, vanilla, and molasses. of course it takes on the barrel

T: Well this is where this beer shines. Beautiful mix of alcohol, apple brandy is the main favor of course, but vanilla, and molasses, burnt coffee, chocolate, its very complex. no hops detected and its a ris so that burn is there.

M: not much carbonation, very smooth and not as creamy as some.

D: I struggled with this 1, RIS at 11% are not something even I can just down its a sipper, but I think that fits the style, so I debated the rating but heck its my review, so I give it a 4.
I had 2 of these and i loved it but I had to switch to the other aged one before it was gone.

its of the best I had in this aged barrel style.

cheers

4.05/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

32oz growler courtesy of LoPo87. Thanks! Small 3 oz pour.

A: Thick as motor oil. No head. Legs on the glass like the lamp from A Christmas Story.

N: Intense caramel, cotton candy, brown sugar, coffee, fudge. This is mostly sugar, though, hence the score.

T: Good god. Diabetes. Cinnamon, chocolate, coffee, a little bit of soy sauce. A very slight pepper. Lots of dark fruits. Alcohol is well hidden. Pretty much the epitome of throw everything into the kettle.

M: Heaviest beer I've ever tried. A little bit of carbonation. Expands and contracts all over my palate.

O: There's almost no apple brandy so deducting some points there. Honestly, this is amazing, and then it's way too much. I compared it to the way Nibbler must feel in Futurama as well as making the Mitch Hedberg joke that it's like pancakes: When it starts, it's amazing, by the time you're done, you're sick of 'it.

4.6/5  rDev +0.2%

Review #300!! Had on tap twice in 2 days(4 glasses total) during Philly Beer Week 2010 at both Capones and Hawthornes Cafe. Then had another glass from a growler a couple days after. Reviewing from notes and from on-tap at Hawthornes. Pours an extremely...infact completely pitch black. There is no beer darker in color. Old engine oil consistency. Super thick and super dark, I can't elaborate anymore than that! A very small dark brown head rises late and dissipates pretty quick...leaving only slight fizz laces. Even better than lacing, is the deep coffee like stains on the sides of the glass that form from the drinking and swirling!

Aroma is amazing! While the regular Hunahpu's is a great beer, and a great smelling beer...this one comes as advertized! Once you pick up the chocolate and chillies, maltiness and slight mollasses...the Apple Brandy is definitely present and is an awesome addition! It also compliments the regular Hunahpu's perfectly! At this point, so far...so good!

Could it get any better than this?!? Wow, all I can say over and over is WOW! The chocolates, the chillies, the mollasses and dark sugars, the thickness, the complexity, everything...and then add in the dull sweetness from the apple brandy than somewhat mutes the sharpness. A very warm burn slides down the throat from the booze, but is very much welcomed in my book! Super full body, extremely low carbonation, super complex...overall...a great RIS! A winner in my book!

4.5/5  rDev -2%

On-tap at Capone's for the Cigar City event during Philly Beer Week. Served in a 5.5oz "mini snifter".

Appearance: Pours a very dark brownish/black with a thin layer of mocha head.

Smell: Brandy, espresso, chocolaty malt and a slight hint of pepper in the nose.

Taste: Brandy bite, smoked/roasted malt, dark chocolate, espresso and a peppery bite at the end.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and extremely smooth.

Drinkability: Very good beer. Not my first barrel aged stout, but my first brandy barrel aged stout. I could have easily drank at least 3-4 more of these while I was there, but they were limiting it so that everybody goto to try this amazing beer and I also wanted to try to regular Hunaphu as well as the other CC offerings. Would definitely seek out again.

This is my new favorite beer, hands down.

It came out of a growler and poured sticky and motor oil thick - jet black with a tiny bit of dark brown head. Smells super boozy and brandy heavy. The taste doesn't have any of this heat. Starts out with the chocolate up front with a twinge of brandy, fades into the vanilla and BIGGER chocolate, then wave 3 and 4 come up from the back - HUGE apple brandy followed by just a tiny bit of spicy pepper. as it gets towards room temperature the cinnamon/cayenne comes out, as does the apple note in the brandy.

Thick as hell with just enough carbonation.

Thanks Josh/jbuddle for this trade. ISO: Apple Brandy Huna FT: EVERYTHING

4.38/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to BA Dsgolovin for hooking me up with a growler of this nectar of the gods...

Apperance: Pitch black with a dark, dark, brown head.

Smell: Chocolate, Spices, Barrel, Coffee, Roasted malts.

Taste: Cinnamon, Chili, Chocolate, Brandy, Coffee.

Palate: Supersmooth and perfectly balanced. Medium carbonation. Goes down way to easy considering the abv.

One of the best stouts i've yet to try. World class.

4.07/5  rDev -11.3%

A. Pours black with amber edges with little carbonation.

S. As it warms the barrel really starts to come out.

T. A bit of the brandy with lots of dark chocolate that comes out. Not getting the spice with it warm.

M. Seems a bit thinner than expected, but good.

D. Gets better a it warms.

4.67/5  rDev +1.7%

32oz swingtop bottled 7/16/12 into a snifter. Split with lookitsmp.

A- Pours with the same road-tar consistency that you find in both Marshal Z and "normal" Hunahpu. Minimal dark-brown head, but that's acceptable for a growler. Leaves big film on the snifter.

S- Leads off with waves of sweetness from the brandy barrel (just a hint of apple-like/dark fruit contained within). I pick up some residual cinnamon and spicy notes that are probably a combination of the barrel and chile remnants. Caramel-coated apple, and fudge/brownie round out the nose. Fantastic.

T- Sweet brandy/cognac notes combine with a hit of spicy cinnamon/chile to really open up the palate on the forefront. Followed up with vanilla, more sweet sugary malts, and huge waves of fudge brownie. Finishes with more amazing vanilla, cinnamon, cognac/brandy, and dry roasted notes/bittersweet chocolate.

M- Incredibly thick and viscous with the perfect amount of carbonation that allows the menagerie of flavors to linger just long enough.

O- Wow. This is one of the top-3 best beers I've ever had. Definitely worthy of high praise.

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

A big thanks to supercolter to opening this last night. I had poor luck with getting an intact growler.

A- Pours a deep black with little carbonation.

S- The base beer is present with notes of dark chocolate, chili, cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar and roasted malt. Caramelized apples and notes of brandy also present.

T- Taste follows suite with caramel dipped apples, dark chocolate, spicy chili's, cinnamon, vanilla beans, roasted malt, oak and a bit of heat from the brandy.

M- Practically no carbonation with a thick syrupy body. A small amount of heat from the chili's and abv at the end.

O- Was very impressed how the Apple Brandy barrels complimented the base beer. The best Cigar City offering I've had. Wish there was a bit of carbonation, but overall, a fantastic spiced stout and something I've been looking to try for a long time.

Thanks again, Jeff!

Poured from tap into CCB snifter. Reviewing from notes (not that I'd need them for this one because it was soooo freaking good even better than regular Huanahpu) taken on 3/12/10 at the release at CCB.

A- Just like the regular version, pours used motor oil. Blacker than black. A good inch of head that has nice retention. Leaves nice lacing.

S- Again, just heavenly! Big chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, and molasses. Only this time, a big nose full of brandy to get things going.

T- Simply put....the BEST.... I repeat, the BEST beer I have ever had! Just like the base, the nose isn't far off here. Chocolate, vanilla, and molasses. Then BAM...apple brandy jumps up in the mix and just blows you away. You still get the chilie effect, the brandy doesn't overpower the complex flavours in this beer.

M- SUPERB!! CREAMY as they get. Perfect amount of carbonation. Leaves me looking forward to the next drink.

D- If I had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of eternity....this would be my choice HANDS DOWN!

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at capones; Matt is THE MAN. Poured black with mocha edges to create a smallish head and good albeit surprisingly thin lacing. Nose is brandy, vanilla, chocolate, cocoa. Taste is a wonderful battle of the apple, brandy of the barrel and the chocolate, vanilla, pepper and especially the warming and booziness of the brew. The feel was creamy and almost chewy with a very nice level of carbonation to hold it up. Drinkability is also a battle between my desire and the abv. but price and availability probably push me over the edge. All-in-all a great imperial stout.

On tap out of a snifter, courtesy of the kind dudes at Cigar City who provided a barrel to Falling Rock Tap House during The Great American Beer Festival (10/12/12, to be exact).

A - Very unique. Appears almost as an imperial stout blended with red wine. Swirl it, and you'll see what I mean.

S - Apple. And brandy. Apple. And brandy. There's a stout in here somewhere. This stuff is incredibly unique.

T - So, did I mentioned the word "unique" in the Smell description indicating this was a "unique" beer?? That doesn't do it justice. I've never had anything remotely close to the taste of this brew. It tastes like what it is: a fantastic imperial stout aged in apple brandy barrels. But, you really have to taste this to have a full understanding and appreciation of how good it is. This is the first beer I've ever tried that left me without an explanation for how fantastic and UNIQUE it is. Honestly, if you'd told me a delicious imperial stout would be IMPROVED by aging it in an apple brandy barrel, I'd have been very skeptical (or called you crazy).

M: Thicker than I'd guessed, despite how thick it looked. But, it's not even close to being too thick. It has the "chewiness"of a great red wine. That word "unique" is coming to mind...again.

O - So, I assumed I'd go for many years without the opportunity to try this beer. Thank you, Cigar City guys, for the opportunity to try your most incredible product (it has to be), the opportunity to compliment your dedication to great beer, and the sweet key key chain. I told you I'd follow up with a phenomenal review on BA, so here it is. Anyway, for those of you who love imperial stouts and want to try a variation that will change your possibilities on the style, get this. If you find a way to get some, it's going to be worth it. I might end up going to Tampa solely based on this beer. And, I have no other reason to go there. Again, thanks Cigar City guys!

4.38/5  rDev -4.6%

Loved Hunahpu, liked the bourbon BA version but found it over the top. Expected the same over the top boozy experience with the brandy BA, and was pleasantly surprised that the booze was well balanced. Hunahpu is such a complex beast that any one component out of proportion detracts from the sum of it's parts. In the case of this BA version, the brandy is subtle, leaving one to appreciate the other aspects of the beer. I still prefer the standard Hunahpu, but this wasn't too far off the mark. Well done CCB!

3.46/5  rDev -24.6%

750mL gold wax #56/84 thanks to ygtbsm94. Ink SRM pour with towering, Martian red head. Huge formation. Nice retention. No lace. Sweet vanilla nose, quite subtle, roasted chilies, some green olive. Taste is super tangy and fruity with some unlikely acidity and quenching character. Lighter palate. Palate is very soft, muted booziness, some heavy dark chocolate with lemon acidity. No apple brandy character I can detect, and I just spent 10 days touring the calvados region of France. Palate gets quite chalky and powdery. I like the acidic lemon and very bitter cocoa powder and dark chocolate, but there’s no barrel character at all. 6/4/7/4/13=3.4

4.18/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at Capones during a great Cigar City event made even more special by the opportunity to meet and talk with Joey. Thanks as always to Matt for another great event.

A - had two of these, one during the morning and one later on during the evening. The morning flights were all pre-poured so it was served in small 5.5 oz snifters. Black with a very small film on top of the glass.

S - Significantly muted when compared to the regular Hunahpu. Brandy and vanilla are present with a slight booziness but the rich dark choc and pepper in the regular Hunahpu take a back seat.

T - As others have said, a very different profile than the regular Hunahpu. The brandy and vanilla compliment the cocca and chilli, making this an easy drink. To be honest, I think I prefer the regular Hunahpu a bit more. The brandy has been introduced perfectly and it is smooth as can be, but the incredible flavor build is not as evident here as in the regular version.

M - Slick, oily, and very nice.

D - Really, really good. It is smooth and refined.

Another great effort by CCB. Thanks Joey and Matt for a great day yesterday. For the record, I had the Batch 69, Espresso, Bolita Brown, and both Hunahpu's. They were all really good.

4.33/5  rDev -5.7%

A huge thanks to urwithdave for sending me this extremely limited bottle. Bottle 36/84, opened at Stakem's on 4/2/11.

A: Black with hints of burgundy at the edges. A small one finger head. Very little lacing, but the beer stains the sides of the glass.

S: Apples, cinnamon, chocolate and hints of the chiles.

T: With the addition of the apple flavors that come from the time in the barrels mixed with the strong cinnamon flavors that Hunahpu's already carries. You end up with something like chocolate covered warm apple pie with chiles on top and a side of coffee. The flavors from the apple brandy really complement this beer well.

M: Thick and smooth, fully coating the mouth and throat. Pretty much the same as the regular version.

O: A great beer that I'm very grateful to have had the chance to try. Joey and Co. did a fantastic job with this one. I doubt I'll ever get to taste this one again. But, it was very good. Thanks again Dave.

On tap at cigar city/tbc takeover at coffee district a month or 2 ago.

This was by far the highlight of the nite, seeing that this keg was tapped right before 6 pm and was gone by 7:10 pm.

Poured that wonderful jet black and murky color that a good imperial stout should be. What a nose on this beer, you could smell the apple brandy so much as it permeated the beer. Taste was smooth and fantastic, although you knew u were drinking a 11.5% beer the whole time. I'm just glad i had 2 before the keg blew, next time they make this brew at cigar city i will be driving to tampa to get my hands on some!

4.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this on tap at the Hunahpu release party

A - pours black with a quarter inch burnt cream head

S - definate brandy smell, lots of sweet candy apple, some coffee/chocolate

T - very similar to the noise, slammed with a sweet apple brandy that mixes very well with the base Hunahpu flavors of coffee, vanilla, chocolate, cinnimon and chilies. Suprised that I like this slightly better than the bourban aged version.

M - mouth feel as with all Cigar City beers is thick and full bodied, this one in paticular is quite viscous.

D - the alcohol is present but in a good way this is definitly a sipper

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle #74. Joan Jett pour with a chocolate head. My nose is stuffy and I can’t pick up much. The age on this bottle has really muted the heat from the peppers. The flavors have tightened and seem to have blended very nicely. Chocolate, roasted malt, muted peppers, apple spicewood flavors. Just another world class beer from Joey and Wayne...

4.53/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle thanks to the great badboyrsl. The color from this one is a vivid, tantalizing...lavender brown ring. Hades looms beneath. Even as glassy as Poseidon's quaint. I can't get over how beautiful this is. Nose is sweet and fresh red apples, and milk chocolate. Tongue is great sweet chocolate, apple with a guilded crust. Very viscous and coats the mouth all around. The mouthfeel is relatively heavy but with an initial snap of carbonation. I can say this is one of the best stouts I have had in a very long time. This was such a treat

4.48/5  rDev -2.4%

Had at the Hunahpu release party as a part of RBWG 2010. Pitch black pour with a small brown head that fades fast. The spiciness and the malt sweetness is still there, but there is an additional awesomeness of sweet brandy, wood, and apples... yummy!

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 32oz swing-top growler into a Duvel tulip
Filled: 6/18/12
Poured: 6/19/12

A - Dark black, deep brown 1 finger head with very aggressive pour.
S - Lots of Brandy right off the bat. Lots of chocolate and vanilla.
T - Sweet citrusy brandy! The most chocolate of any Hunahpu, lots of vanilla, and burnt caramel. The chilis and cinnamon are almost hidden behind the Brandy.
M - Super thick sludge! Syrupy, sticky, gets all over your lips and glass! Definitely the thickest Hunahpu of them all. Almost as thick as the freshest of Zhukov's. If you love sludge, this is for you.
O - Amazing! I've had all the Hunahpu treatments, and this is by far the best. Not as spicy, lot's more cocoa, and the brandy really sets it off. Drink at all costs!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel from Cigar City Brewing