Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel | Cigar City Brewing

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy BarrelHunahpu's Imperial Stout - Laird's Apple Brandy Barrel

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by Gtreid on 03-13-2010

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 330

2012 swing top growlier filled a little over a week ago.

A - Black body, 1/2 finger of dark brown head that forms slowly.

S - Chocolate, dark fruits, a bit of booze.

T - Chocolate, dark fruits, some pepper spice, brandy, hint of apple, cinnamon, wood/oak.

M - Very thick. Low carbonation, very smooth.

This beer is amazing. I've had the bourbon aged version as well, not sure which is better. They're like boozy milkshakes.

consumed at the cajun cafe beer fest.

P: Just like the regular hunahpu, pitch black and wicked looking, nice amber color head with good lacing.

The nose on this was unbeleivable. Not only do you get the sweetness from the chocolate, vanilla and cocoa, mixed in with the smell of brandy then to smell the slight heat of the peppers it was amazing.

So I really dont know how to sum this up properly I couldnt beleive all the great tastes I had in my mouth at once, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa, sweetness of the brandy followed by the slight bite of the peppers nirvana in my mouth.

The mouthfeel was great, perfectly carbonated just a slice of heaven in your mouth.

Drinkability, I would drink as much of this beer as often as i possibly could.

On tap at cigar city/tbc takeover at coffee district a month or 2 ago.

This was by far the highlight of the nite, seeing that this keg was tapped right before 6 pm and was gone by 7:10 pm.

Poured that wonderful jet black and murky color that a good imperial stout should be. What a nose on this beer, you could smell the apple brandy so much as it permeated the beer. Taste was smooth and fantastic, although you knew u were drinking a 11.5% beer the whole time. I'm just glad i had 2 before the keg blew, next time they make this brew at cigar city i will be driving to tampa to get my hands on some!

On tap out of a snifter, courtesy of the kind dudes at Cigar City who provided a barrel to Falling Rock Tap House during The Great American Beer Festival (10/12/12, to be exact).

A - Very unique. Appears almost as an imperial stout blended with red wine. Swirl it, and you'll see what I mean.

S - Apple. And brandy. Apple. And brandy. There's a stout in here somewhere. This stuff is incredibly unique.

T - So, did I mentioned the word "unique" in the Smell description indicating this was a "unique" beer?? That doesn't do it justice. I've never had anything remotely close to the taste of this brew. It tastes like what it is: a fantastic imperial stout aged in apple brandy barrels. But, you really have to taste this to have a full understanding and appreciation of how good it is. This is the first beer I've ever tried that left me without an explanation for how fantastic and UNIQUE it is. Honestly, if you'd told me a delicious imperial stout would be IMPROVED by aging it in an apple brandy barrel, I'd have been very skeptical (or called you crazy).

M: Thicker than I'd guessed, despite how thick it looked. But, it's not even close to being too thick. It has the "chewiness"of a great red wine. That word "unique" is coming to mind...again.

O - So, I assumed I'd go for many years without the opportunity to try this beer. Thank you, Cigar City guys, for the opportunity to try your most incredible product (it has to be), the opportunity to compliment your dedication to great beer, and the sweet key key chain. I told you I'd follow up with a phenomenal review on BA, so here it is. Anyway, for those of you who love imperial stouts and want to try a variation that will change your possibilities on the style, get this. If you find a way to get some, it's going to be worth it. I might end up going to Tampa solely based on this beer. And, I have no other reason to go there. Again, thanks Cigar City guys!

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last