Zhukov's Final Push

From:
Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 149 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by biggsbowler:
biggsbowler from Florida

4.92/5  rDev +6%

Growler shared by Tony at Coffee District. Holy Crap!!! This beer is so AMAZING!!! The kopi luwak coffee beans add such an aroma and taste to this beer. Even after I empty the glass, I smelled it for another 5mins. When it comes to looks and texture, I think the Doobie Brothers were talking about this beer and not the Mississippi River in "Black Water." This is a great example of how to make a great beer, even greater. There are few beers, I would take over this one.

Oct 07, 2011
JMFP from Delaware

Given what I went through to get this beer, I have to rate it a 5. So here's the honest to God true story...

After purchasing my ticket to Hunahpu Day 2016, I e-mailed CCB's marketing director, Geiger Powell, to make sure that CCB would be serving Final Push again this year (the last time it had ever been made and served previously was Hunahpu Day 2015...it was never bottled or distributed otherwise). I explained to Geiger that I really needed to try Final Push, as it was the last brew I needed to complete the BA Top 250 (which I had been working toward for 2.5 years). Imagine the horror when Geiger told me that CCB would NEVER brew this beer again, because they could not find a humane source of civet coffee beans! SH*T!!! So I asked Geiger if CCB would either give me the recipe, so I could make it, or would they make it if I could find a humane source of civet coffee beans. Well, Geiger said, we're not gonna give you the recipe, but if you can find a guaranteed humane source of civet coffee beans, then we'll make one keg of Final Push for Hunahpu Day 2016.

I then spent the next 3 weeks scouring the globe for a humane source of civet coffee beans, and ultimately found a communal preserve in SE Asia which provided a sanctuary for the civet cat, with guaranteed humane collection of the expectorated coffee beans! $300 and 2 weeks later, I had 16 ounces of humanely-gathered civet coffee beans shipped from SE Asia to CCB, and the rest is history!

So that is how & why Zhukov's Final Push came to be served at Hunahpu Day 2016!!!

Mar 27, 2016
mythaeus from Pennsylvania

First of all, HUGE thank you to @JohnParadee for making it happen and sharing his crowler. If you didn't know the story of how this re-make came about, check out his review/story below.

Secondly, this was THE best straight up black, i.e no maple/milk or other adjuncts, coffee beer I've ever had. If you've ever been to your best local gourmet coffee shop, Ultimo Coffee down in South Philly in my case, and had their best hand pour drip coffee and said "wow, I didn't know coffee could taste this good", this was that times 10! Wish I could describe the coffee smell and flavors and why it's so different and amazing. I'd total drop $300 on a pound of this coffee to try it by itself. MZ is a good stout to begin with, but the coffee drowned it nearly completely out. It was hard to tell if there was beer in it....that's how much coffee that was present.

Keep in mind that I had a full pour of this out of a large Spieglau snifter (full size Huna glass) and enjoyed it over a span of 15 minutes+. Nose, taste, feel, look...all amazing. A perfect beer if you truly know and love coffee.

Apr 06, 2016
weeare138 from Pennsylvania

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

Nov 18, 2013
drabmuh from Maryland

4.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Shared by Brad, this beer is sort of amazing. Beer is thick and black with a tan head of small bubbles, some retention, no real lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is roast, smooth, chocolate, coffee greatness.

Beer is medium in body and really sweet with a nice finish of smooth roastiness, strong coffee without harsh coffee bitterness. A nice sipping beer, easy drinking. I'd have this again.

Jun 19, 2012
wingnutter from Florida

4.4/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mar 29, 2016

4.5/5  rDev -3%

Jun 09, 2012
cjgator3 from Florida

4.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoyed this beer at Cigar City's Hunahpu's Day 2016 in Tampa, FL. This was one of the standout beers at at the event as it was packet with flavors, very tasty and something I would love to see again in the future.

Mar 21, 2016
tpd975 from Florida

Thanks to Joey and Wayne for the beer, thecheeseman for the $150 coffee, Redlight Redlight for putting it on nitro, and to all the ratebeer folks who descended on Central Florida for the RBWG. It was fun.

A: Pours coal black with a cascading deep dark evil head. The head lasts and lasts. Very puffy and pillow like, the consistency of great espresso.

S: Wow coffee to the max. Very bold, rich, and earthy with notes of vanilla.

T: Awesome. Full of fresh espresso. An insane amount of roast. Light vanilla sweetness, a hint nutty, just pure awesomeness.

M: So big full and rich. It's the nitro that really puts it overthetop though. Despite being huge it is so soft, smooth, creamy, velvet.

D: Awesome. Would love to be able to sit down with a pint of this one early some morning.

Awesome beer. Loved it, Alesmith's "the shit" just became my number one want.

Mar 15, 2010
mikesgroove from South Carolina

4.94/5  rDev +6.5%

this may very well be the closest thing to an ris/coffee milkshake as i have ever come across. a huge thanks for getting me this one, as i honest to god thought i would never get a chance to try it. served out of the fridge into a pint glass but allowed to warm over several hours. this one was consumed on 09/25/2010,

pours out with the consistency and viscosity of motor oil. just as thick and dark as humanly imaginable it just sludges into the glass. no head at first but slowly a small, maybe a quarter inch high layer of chocolate tan head forms on top and coats the sides of the glass leaving touches along the side as i sip.

then it was over. i took one whiff of this one and i got scared. ungodly rich and sweet, thick coffee and mocha notes come straight through the air and wake me up at the same time they knock me back down. holy schnikes, wth. i have never had a beer this thick. i have always held dark lord as the gold standard as far as thick beers, but this knocked the snot out of it. literally it was chewy. thick earthy notes permeate through the coffee and chocolate, almost letting you thick your sipping on dirt, but in a very good way. thick fudge, smooth coffee, hints of molasses, just indescribable. warming from the alcohol is more then apparent, but the flavor is too good to stop. long finish here, warm, with hints of coffee and a touch of sweet chocolate and sugar.

overall this was hands down one of the best beers i have ever had in my life. no joking aside i was completely floored.

Sep 26, 2010
HopHead84 from California

4.37/5  rDev -5.8%

4/22/2010

Thanks to wetherel for sharing this rarity. This is Kopi Luwak coffee aged Marshall Zhukov's.

The beer pours jet black out of the small growler with evident viscosity. A swirl of the glass brings the liquid to life and leaves a dark brown stain on the sides of my snifter that never completely fades.

The aroma is of high quality earthy coffee. Compared to Kopi Luwak Speedway, there is a much stronger earth presence here, but it's certainly fantastic in its own right. There's a faint trace of chocolate, and the signature Cigar City burnt malt character is apparent yet somewhat restrained. Burnt earth.

The flavor displays an even stronger earth presence than the aroma. The coffee is of distinguished Kopi Luwak quality, evincing a moderate astringency and an ashen char that seems to augment the earthy coffee character while avoiding the acerbity I've found in other Cigar City stouts. Very nice stuff. The mouthfeel is thick, full, and viscous.

Though supposedly quite expensive, the superior quality of Kopi Luwak coffee is blatant, improving every beer it touches.

Apr 23, 2010
yourefragile from District of Columbia

4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

Jan 18, 2013
MasterSki from Canada (ON)

4.43/5  rDev -4.5%

On nitro at Redlight Redlight for the RBWG. I didn't even realize this was something different and worth trying until quite late in the afternoon, so my notes were a little sparse.

A - Looks like regular Zhukov, but with significantly better head retention due to the nitro. The usual pitch black body with no hint of color, along with a dark mocha foam and some spotty lace. There's also that golden film that is left behind and leaves me worried about what is going to happen to my innards. Not really sure what else I'd want from a huge RIS.

S - Coffee! I doubt I could identify that this was specifically civet coffee but it smelled like high-quality stuff nonetheless, as opposed to some other brews that are evocative of diners and cigarettes. There's the trademark dark roasted and earthy qualities of Zhukov as well. I thought it could use a touch more sweetness for balance, but it was otherwise quite excellent.

T - Tastes much like it smells. Bitter intense and slightly nutty espresso, dark roastiness, a touch of earthy smoke and char, and bitter dark chocolate. It's very potent, but suffers from the same problem as the other Zhukov variants I've had - too much bitterness and not enough sweetness to balance things out.

M - Typical nitro feel - smooth, creamy, lower carbonation, and perhaps a tiny bit thin for such a high ABV brew. Still, no heat and quite easy to drink.

D - It's excellent, but a bit of palate raper like many coffee/espresso beers. The coffee has amped up a lot of the astringent qualities of Zhukov and put things out of balance a little more than I like. I'll freely admit to not being a huge dark chocolate fan, so I'm probably being a touch harsher in this regard than most other reviewers.

Still, this makes me wonder what could have been if the Hunahpu's batch had turned out - I think the chocolate and vanilla additions would have brought things into a sublime balance. On the other hand, I'm feeling a little burnt out on coffee beers these days...

Mar 21, 2010
t0rin0 from California

Sep 15, 2012
wchris21 from Florida

Dec 14, 2011
callmemickey from Pennsylvania

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Dark black-brown body. Thin dark brown collar with a whispy skim. Traces of foam left behind on the glass.

S: Dellicate but assertive coffee notes. Light milk chocolate and hints of vanilla and caramel.

T: Roasted coffee, chocolate, creamy brownies, and caramel. Well disquised booze.

M: Smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation. Fuller bodied, but certainly manageable.

O: I haven't had the regular Zhukov to compare this to, but this is clearly a quality imperial stout. Hard to say whether kopi luwak really did much here -- I didn't get much in the way of that earthy coffee note that I have gotten in other kopi luwak beers. Regardless, I enjoyed it.

Sep 09, 2011
sendsilk from Florida

May 17, 2013
Huhzubendah from District of Columbia

4.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Growler shard by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

The beer is black with a thin beige collar that leaves some oily, filmy lacing on the snifter. The aroma offers a huge coffee presence. Extremely rich, dark, roasty. The Marshal Zhukov's, which is a lovely imperial stout in its own right, serves as a terrific base for the Kopi Luwak coffee. Alcohol is masked extremely well. A superb example of a coffee stout.

Jun 10, 2012
gjoker321 from Florida

4.85/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Apr 20, 2015
G311 from Pennsylvania

4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

A huge thank you goes out to Jeff (Jefe73) on this one...a major surprise in our most recent trade and a more than fitting beer for my first review on BA. Enjoyed with multiple pieces of Lindt Extra Dark 85% Cocoa dark chocolate. A divine pairing.

A: F yo' couch darkness...menacing...almost invitingly so. The lacing was not as massive as on other CCB brew, but the staining of my glass was.

S: Spicy peppery hops...wet, dank coffee grounds, very earthy...a slight smokiness with a touch of dirt.

T: Exceptional...smoke, ash, sweet fruit (cherry?), and a wonderful dark cocoa powder-meets hearty black coffee enveloping everything.

M: Slick, oily velvet...but still relatively light. Like ultra-thick black coffee that melts in your mouth.

O: Easily one of the best beers I've ever had and being the huge coffee lover that I am, I'd have to put this WAY up there. Too bad it is so damn rare and hard to come by. Thank you again, Jeff, for the opportunity to try this gem.

Aug 16, 2011
Jefe73 from Florida

4.87/5  rDev +5%

Mar 13, 2015
jconrick1 from Washington

Feb 04, 2012
paytoplay from California

3.75/5  rDev -19.2%

crude oil coffee with the guts of earthworm. super super dark brown, earth coffee earth and more earth. then on the palate, thick, maybe thickest beer ever. taking coffee beer to not only the next level but another dimension. liked the other 2 kopi beers much more, this was just such an odd ball, again earth and coffee. crazy.

Apr 23, 2010