Zhukov's Final Push | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Kopi Luwak coffee aged Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout

Added by tpd975 on 03-15-2010

Review 700 (cherry-picking from my backlog)

A - Final Push is perfectly sinister in appearance; beyond the shimmering obsidian gleam, it is nothing but sultry legs and black lace. It calls for attention. No one could see you drinking something that looks like this without wondering "What in the fuck is that?"

S - This is the Holy grail of coffee beer, no doubt in my mind (on the nose alone, before I even have a sip). The deliciousness of the aroma supplied by the coffee infusion cannot be adequately quantified because it is simply far more delectable than any actual brewed, roasted or ground coffee aroma I have ever encountered. There is also a big fudge-y chocolate presence and some charred-caramelized sugar, rounding out with soft notes of vanilla.

T - This IS the Holy Grail of coffee beer, no doubt in my mind. It has the flavor of the most fantastic double espresso on ice, with dash of soy milk and a shot of KahlĂșa Especial, except a magnitude or two greater. The roasty notes of the base beer are still there, but they are are indelibly fused with the java at this point. There are also big fudge-vanilla-chocolate-graham cracker impressions that give this beer a very comforting appeal. Booze is well-hidden. It is worth noting that while regular Zhukov is somewhat on the brutal side of the spectrum (in a good way), this variant is about as smooth and easy on the palate as they come.

M - Huge body, like an oil slick in your gullet. Amazing.

D - It is impossible to put the greatness of this beer into words. But I'll try to draw some reference: 1. Best coffee- anything I've ever had. 2. Best CCB Beer (tie). 3. Best Stout (tie). 4. Best use of weasel excrement.

Given what I went through to get this beer, I have to rate it a 5. So here's the honest to God true story...

After purchasing my ticket to Hunahpu Day 2016, I e-mailed CCB's marketing director, Geiger Powell, to make sure that CCB would be serving Final Push again this year (the last time it had ever been made and served previously was Hunahpu Day 2015...it was never bottled or distributed otherwise). I explained to Geiger that I really needed to try Final Push, as it was the last brew I needed to complete the BA Top 250 (which I had been working toward for 2.5 years). Imagine the horror when Geiger told me that CCB would NEVER brew this beer again, because they could not find a humane source of civet coffee beans! SH*T!!! So I asked Geiger if CCB would either give me the recipe, so I could make it, or would they make it if I could find a humane source of civet coffee beans. Well, Geiger said, we're not gonna give you the recipe, but if you can find a guaranteed humane source of civet coffee beans, then we'll make one keg of Final Push for Hunahpu Day 2016.

I then spent the next 3 weeks scouring the globe for a humane source of civet coffee beans, and ultimately found a communal preserve in SE Asia which provided a sanctuary for the civet cat, with guaranteed humane collection of the expectorated coffee beans! $300 and 2 weeks later, I had 16 ounces of humanely-gathered civet coffee beans shipped from SE Asia to CCB, and the rest is history!

So that is how & why Zhukov's Final Push came to be served at Hunahpu Day 2016!!!

Zhukov's Final Push from Cigar City Brewing