Zhukov's Final Push | Cigar City Brewing

4.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.06/5  rDev -11.4%

4.74/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.96/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.43/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oddly enough, I prefer the regular Marshal Zhukov over this variant. Not saying it's bad, far from it, I just think the standard stout stands on its own. But the coffee flavor is very rich, and maybe I just wasn't feeling coffee when I had this.

4.9/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.08/5  rDev -10.9%

4.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First of all, HUGE thank you to @JohnParadee for making it happen and sharing his crowler. If you didn't know the story of how this re-make came about, check out his review/story below.

Secondly, this was THE best straight up black, i.e no maple/milk or other adjuncts, coffee beer I've ever had. If you've ever been to your best local gourmet coffee shop, Ultimo Coffee down in South Philly in my case, and had their best hand pour drip coffee and said "wow, I didn't know coffee could taste this good", this was that times 10! Wish I could describe the coffee smell and flavors and why it's so different and amazing. I'd total drop $300 on a pound of this coffee to try it by itself. MZ is a good stout to begin with, but the coffee drowned it nearly completely out. It was hard to tell if there was beer in it....that's how much coffee that was present.

Keep in mind that I had a full pour of this out of a large Spieglau snifter (full size Huna glass) and enjoyed it over a span of 15 minutes+. Nose, taste, feel, look...all amazing. A perfect beer if you truly know and love coffee.

4.4/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given what I went through to get this beer, I have to rate it a 5. So here's the honest to God true story...

After purchasing my ticket to Hunahpu Day 2016, I e-mailed CCB's marketing director, Geiger Powell, to make sure that CCB would be serving Final Push again this year (the last time it had ever been made and served previously was Hunahpu Day 2015...it was never bottled or distributed otherwise). I explained to Geiger that I really needed to try Final Push, as it was the last brew I needed to complete the BA Top 250 (which I had been working toward for 2.5 years). Imagine the horror when Geiger told me that CCB would NEVER brew this beer again, because they could not find a humane source of civet coffee beans! SH*T!!! So I asked Geiger if CCB would either give me the recipe, so I could make it, or would they make it if I could find a humane source of civet coffee beans. Well, Geiger said, we're not gonna give you the recipe, but if you can find a guaranteed humane source of civet coffee beans, then we'll make one keg of Final Push for Hunahpu Day 2016.

I then spent the next 3 weeks scouring the globe for a humane source of civet coffee beans, and ultimately found a communal preserve in SE Asia which provided a sanctuary for the civet cat, with guaranteed humane collection of the expectorated coffee beans! $300 and 2 weeks later, I had 16 ounces of humanely-gathered civet coffee beans shipped from SE Asia to CCB, and the rest is history!

So that is how & why Zhukov's Final Push came to be served at Hunahpu Day 2016!!!

4.66/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Zhukov's Final Push from Cigar City Brewing