Zhukov's Final Push | Cigar City Brewing

Added by tpd975 on 03-15-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 28 | Ratings: 148
4.43/5  rDev -3.3%

On nitro at Redlight Redlight for the RBWG. I didn't even realize this was something different and worth trying until quite late in the afternoon, so my notes were a little sparse.

A - Looks like regular Zhukov, but with significantly better head retention due to the nitro. The usual pitch black body with no hint of color, along with a dark mocha foam and some spotty lace. There's also that golden film that is left behind and leaves me worried about what is going to happen to my innards. Not really sure what else I'd want from a huge RIS.

S - Coffee! I doubt I could identify that this was specifically civet coffee but it smelled like high-quality stuff nonetheless, as opposed to some other brews that are evocative of diners and cigarettes. There's the trademark dark roasted and earthy qualities of Zhukov as well. I thought it could use a touch more sweetness for balance, but it was otherwise quite excellent.

T - Tastes much like it smells. Bitter intense and slightly nutty espresso, dark roastiness, a touch of earthy smoke and char, and bitter dark chocolate. It's very potent, but suffers from the same problem as the other Zhukov variants I've had - too much bitterness and not enough sweetness to balance things out.

M - Typical nitro feel - smooth, creamy, lower carbonation, and perhaps a tiny bit thin for such a high ABV brew. Still, no heat and quite easy to drink.

D - It's excellent, but a bit of palate raper like many coffee/espresso beers. The coffee has amped up a lot of the astringent qualities of Zhukov and put things out of balance a little more than I like. I'll freely admit to not being a huge dark chocolate fan, so I'm probably being a touch harsher in this regard than most other reviewers.

Still, this makes me wonder what could have been if the Hunahpu's batch had turned out - I think the chocolate and vanilla additions would have brought things into a sublime balance. On the other hand, I'm feeling a little burnt out on coffee beers these days...

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%

Off the nitro tap @ Red Light Red light, during RBWG. BOOM! Is this a flavor bomb or an aroma bomb? Can't decide. This thing is, hands-down, one of the best stouts I've ever had. When I poured it into my (large) snifter, the head came up thick, creamy and dense; very dark brown in color, too.
I took a whiff and got some of the richest, most enticing coffee notes I've ever smelled (on coffee or beer). The weasels did a bang-up job on this batch. The appearance was definitely trade-mark zhukov: viscous, heavy, dense and darker than a black steer's tuckus on a moonless prairie night.
The taste is phenomenal: bitter chocolate, COFFEE, some very subtle licorice, light vanilla. You immediately notice the staple dark amber coating on your glass after you take the first sip. Amazing beer! The back palate lingers with some notes of coffee and dark fruit.
Thanks to Joey, cheeseman, GoT and everyone involved in making this happen.

Thanks to Joey and Wayne for the beer, thecheeseman for the $150 coffee, Redlight Redlight for putting it on nitro, and to all the ratebeer folks who descended on Central Florida for the RBWG. It was fun.

A: Pours coal black with a cascading deep dark evil head. The head lasts and lasts. Very puffy and pillow like, the consistency of great espresso.

S: Wow coffee to the max. Very bold, rich, and earthy with notes of vanilla.

T: Awesome. Full of fresh espresso. An insane amount of roast. Light vanilla sweetness, a hint nutty, just pure awesomeness.

M: So big full and rich. It's the nitro that really puts it overthetop though. Despite being huge it is so soft, smooth, creamy, velvet.

D: Awesome. Would love to be able to sit down with a pint of this one early some morning.

Awesome beer. Loved it, Alesmith's "the shit" just became my number one want.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last