110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA | Cigar City Brewing

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by tpd975 on 05-26-2010

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 113 | Ratings: 145
3.61/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-pours an extremely cloudy, hazy, golden orange color with an off white head.

S-big sweetness in the nose, lots of oily resignous pine, notes of subtle orange, citrusy in the back with notes of booze.

T-extremely sweet, tons of caramel, notes of brown sugar, candied sugar. the hops take over in back, citrus, notes of orange, syrupy pine flavors, touch of banana and a light bitterness.

M-very smooth and syrupy, full bodied, low carbonation and a slightly thin finish.

D-this is extremely sweet, a little too sweet. very tasty citrus flavors and a big malt presence. huge beer with tons of flavors. very solid but not something you want a ton of.

3.2/5  rDev -2.4%

Had this on cask at the Brewery on release night. Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a massive off white head that slowly dissipates. Tons of lacing.

S: Tropical juice. Orange, pineapple, tangerine. I really don't get much hops in the nose due to the overwhelming sweetness.

T: Almost the same as the nose. Extremely sweet up front followed by a slight hop bitterness. I do get some booze but again, my palate is walloped by the sweetness of this.

M: Thick and syrupy. Kind of hard to get down. It's on cask so I didn't expect carbonation. My hand was sticky from the residue on the glass and my mouth felt the same.

D: Drinkability for me is low as I don't prefer overly sweet beers. Overall not a bad beer but not what I prefer for the DIPA style. I need to revisit this in the bottle/on tap to see if there is a difference.

4.15/5  rDev +26.5%

Finally broke a bottle out tonight after having it on cask a few times. Poured into a over sized wine glass.

A- Pours a thick,dark, cloudy, golden color. A fingers worth of off white head that sticks around only for a lil bit before it leaves a small ring. Sticky lacing left on my glass.

A- Very sweet with a ton of tropical smelling fruits. Pineapple is very dominant. Not a strong hop profile that one would expect.

T- Sweet, sweet, and sweeter. I was wondering if the sweetness was going to be as strong in the bottle after having it on cask ,and it definitely is as sweet, if not sweeter. The fruits are explosive. The pineapple in the nose is just as prevelant in taste. The malts are very strong and the hops are not as prolific as one would expect from a DIPA. With that being said, it still tastes great.

M- Thick for the style fo sure! It's almost syrupy. The finish is sweet and the carbonation is somewhat low.

D- I split this one with another person. I could have finished it off by myself, but it may have taken me a while to do so. The syrupy feel and the sweetness would def limit the drinkability of this. I wouldn't be able to stick to this all night. I'm sure some people are gonna really knock this brew, but I find it to be an interesting take on the style.

3.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Big Props to Bhalter8 for getting me this bottle. Thanks Ben...

Poured with a very scant head that also faded rather quickly. Much to my surprise based on the head, there was plenty of lacing. The beer was a hazy/cloudy deep amber color.

Aroma was fruity and sweet. Pineapple, grape, orange and some tropical aromas.

Wow, big, sweet fruity IPA. Tons of over ripe fruit flavors including the ones mentioned above and some more. Also some honey flavor. There was this subtle grape that I got.... You do get a sense of the abv here. Bitterness on the citrus side of the spectrum.

The body was so thick, it was a bit off putting at first. Once you became accustomed to it, it was just THICK... Almost syrup like.

This was an interesting beer, and one I am glad I tried, but I'm not sure I would seek it out again.

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

750ml bottle received in a trade with a generous BA thanks MDP!

Appearance: Pours an attractive caramel sunburst with a solid 2 finger dirty butter crown that shows moderate retention and good lace.

Smell: Loads of sweetness (pineapple hop notes and caramel malt notes mainly) with some spicy hops and fresh cut grass.

Taste: Not like any DIPA I've had before. Loads of caramel and kandi sugar sweetness over medium (for a DIPA) hop bitterness. Notes of honey, orange peel, and nectar are apparent. A bit of booze warmth too.

Mouthfeel: Cloying, thick, and borderline repulsive.

Drinkability: A wrestling match.

I don't know about this one. Swing and a miss for me.

2.68/5  rDev -18.3%

Thanks for andrewinski1 for sharing this with me. Poured into the ever ready Portsmouth Brewery tulip. The color is very nice amber honey color, but it's a little cloudy in the beer. The pour gives no head and only the slightest bit of lacing sticks around. The smell reveals citrus aroma, oranges and tangerines come to mind but it is primarily the zest. All evidence of hops is trace at best. The taste is full of citrus and sweet caramel and not much hop flavor that I had expected. This is a thick beer. The mouthfeel doesn't give any carbonation I had expected from the style. It reminds me of cough syrup. At ten percent this is kind of a booze bomb and really lowers the drinkability. I'm kind of having trouble with my glass due to the hotness.

4.5/5  rDev +37.2%

Thrilled to be able to crack this one open. I had been hearing some interesting things about how this turned out, I for one think it is brilliant. Consumed on 06/09/2010.

The pour was thick, dark yellow color with a deep cloudiness and weight to it that could be visually seen. A hefty head of white comes up and caps the top of the glass, settling down only briefly and coating the sides with thick white lacing.

Enormous aroma is very, very sweet. Lots of candied sugar, orange Popsicle, just really sweet hops. Cannot say enough in that regard and it carries over brilliantly into the flavor as well. Super saturated with juicy, sweet and sticky hops, this one is a monster. Rich orange and tangerine notes, creamsicles, honeydew, buttery malts, just wonderful. No bitterness to it at all, in fact just the opposite as it came off really sublime. Thick feel, almost syrup like at times save for the great carbonation that it carried through. Long, long finish was again soaked with sweet notes that turned out beautifully.

Overall I was in love with this beer. Not at all what I was expecting, rather a strikingly different take on the style. I was thrilled to death to have tried this and even more so to have some more bottles. Everyone deserves a taste of this one, really just that good.

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a - pours a deep burnt orange color, one finger white head with little retention and light lacing, quite hazy

s - big aroma of orange marmalade mixed with heavy doses of caramel and sweet malt and booze

t - burst of sweet orange marmalade and caramel up front with a considerable citrusy bitterness on the midpalate, lingering orange and caramel sweetness on the finish along with strong booziness on the finish

m - full-bodied with very minimal carbonation, almost syrupy, good deal of alcohol warming

d - not very drinkable between the sweetness and booziness, not all that interesting or complex either

Not a bad beer, but I just can't get into it. For just being released, there just doesn't seem to be any kind of freshness to it -- tastes more like a DIPA that's been sitting around for too long.

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

A: pours a dark, thick copper orange with a thin, off white head. sticky lacing

S: smells sweet, more like a barley wine than a dipa. lots of caramelized sugar and candied malts. Grapefruits, mango's, pineapple are detectable but the sweetness really dominates anything else going on.

T: sweet, followed by sweet. Overly sweet imo. Lots of fruits come out but the main focus is the sweet malts and caramelized sugar. Again, more like a sweet, malty barley wine. Very little hops to speak of.

M: heavy mouthfeel, thick and chewy. medium carbonation

D: I kind of hate to say this, but this was not easy to drink. the sweetness of it was almost overwhelming. It's high abv was even a bit tame compared to the potent sweetness.

Overall, this was far from any dipa I have ever had. So much more like a very sweet, malty, sugary barley wine. I was happy to try it but wouldn't seek out again. The sweetness was just a bit too much for me.

Had on tap at beer release at the source as they say: Was served at 55-60f on cask. The beer pouring guy poured it very nice with only about 1/2 inch of head in a nice pint sized shaker glass, no sorry ass sniffers here boys. I had 2 of these so this review is from notes in Late May 2010

A: lace lasts for about 10 minutes as I drink this one down, orange and cloudy in color. Looks like a hefe to me, good stuff.

S: ah very nice flowery pineapple citrus nose, one can tell its an DIPA, some candy sugar detected, me know I am going to like this as it NOT a hop bomb. so glad they made one I can drink too bad the HOP nuts are NOT going to enjoy this 1 that I can tell, but I have to review the bottle to know for sure. Some said it seemed like a barley wine and it did remind me of SN barley wine.

T: aah well now this is a damn fine beer and I can tell from others that are into Hoppy DIPA they are not going to like this 1.
ME I loved the fruit tart pineapple and citrus malts flavors its very balanced and seemed like a less hoppy version of hop-slam.
DID I say I loved it, ok its strong beer, but easy to drink. Sure the hops are in there and the sugar but its nice. Not much alcohol burn to it but after 1 you know you have some, can you say slight buzz I can.

M: rich, thick, no carbonation, its a cask as I expected it to be.

D: I had 2 and if I did not have to drink the 2 oak aged one next I would have 3! good stuff, I am glad now I have 2 DIPA I like, yea me.

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Bought it, chilled it, and enjoyed it at the brewery during it's release party.

A: Caramelly orange color. The pour left a good nickel size beige head that left some stringy lace.

A: This one is gonna be sweet. I get sweet caramel and candi sugar. I get a good amount of mango, pineapple, and other tropical fruits. But the malty sweetness is definately forward.

T: Wow, this one's sweet. The tropical fruits are there in a big way. Notes of pineapple, mango, orange, and tangerine. Huge caramel malts with ticky sweet candi sugar. Not at all what I was expecting from a big double IPA. It finishes sweet, but not nearly dry enough for me.

M: Full body. Probably a little to heavy on the palate. Medium to low levels of carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side here. The sweetness is really very strong. Overall, I think this could turn out to be a very respectable barleywine, but the sugary sweetness is just a little much for me. This is a very nice sipper, but not one you would want to have too many of in a sitting. Skal.

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to ArthurPendragon for getting a bottle of this brew into my hands before its actual release. Shared at Sean's place, and served in a Sam Adams taster pint glass.

A - Pours a murky brown-orange color with a finger of off-white foam that dissipates to a big-bubbled cap. Some spotty lacing is left behind.

S - This is not what I was expecting - smells more like a hoppy barleywine with tons of burnt sugar, honey, and caramel notes. There is a good amount of sweet citrus and a touch of dank and spice, but this is kind of a boozy sweet mess.

T - The taste verges on cloying, with a ton of candied citrus character and shockingly low bitterness for a 100 IBU beer. This actually tastes a lot like a Triple IPA homebrew I got from NewGeneric. The alcohol is better masked here, but the brew is somewhat mono-dimensional.

M - Syrupy, low carbonation, sticky, with minimal dryness or residual resin character. There is a little heat as well. A bit more carbonation would have helped keep this from getting overly heavy and cloying.

D - This was split four ways, and I think I ended drinking the most (~8oz). It was tough slugging, and the majority gave up and went back to drinking Parking Violation.

I was really excited when I heard Cigar City was doing a hoppy brew for the 100K+OT series, but this was a misfire. I went out of my way to obtain this at its freshest, but it's just not something most hopheads will dig. However, this may turn into a terrific barleywine somewhere down the road.

3.95/5  rDev +20.4%

A: Pours a nice deep shade of orange with a nice off white head. Above average retention with a nice smattering of lace.

S: Holy sweetness. Tons of rock candy, Florida orange juice, honey, flower nectar, and pineapple.

T: Bold sweetness in the taste as well. About as tropical as a beer can be. Loads of pineapple and apricot. Mild peach with flashes of fresh orange juice. Honey sweetness with sweet floral notes. A mild grassiness beneath.

M: Rather full in body, bold, sweet, and smooth. This is a different sort of West Coast DIPA.

D: Not the most drinkable. It is one to sit down with and enjoy though. I had a bottle by the pool and enjoyed it quite a bit.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last