110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA | Cigar City Brewing

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA
31%

Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

1.5/5  rDev -54.1%

3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Served from bottle into a Bell's stemmed tulip. Poured a murky red-orange with a half finger slightly off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, caramel hop, and subtle alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, caramel hop, brown sugar, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. This one accidently got placed in the back shelf of my cellar and sat for a little while. I know this was not what CCB intended, but it was still a pretty solid brew even after this. Really reminded me of the flavors of a nice barleywine if I am honest. Lots of sweetness with just a hint of alcohol remaining. Pretty nice combination for sure. Worth trying even after this long of a time.

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to Eric for sharing this along with other Cigar City brews.

750mL Bottle poured into a Rodenbach Grand Cru Tulip
Reviewed from Notes

This beer pours an opaque hazy amber hue with 1 finger of off-white head. The aroma is dominated by cedar, oak, and sweet caramel maltiness. The hop notes are very subdued, and the caramel sweetness comes through a lot but is not overpowering. Does not smell like any IPA I have had before. The taste has a lot of oak and caramel. It tastes more like a barleywine than a West Coast IPA to me. This beer is medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation with no alcohol coming through. It goes down easy and I could have enjoyed this beer over many glasses.

Overall I found this beer to be enjoyable, however, it does not taste like any West Coast IPA that I have tried. Much more malty with almost no hop characteristic. Very interesting second beer I’ve tried from Cigar City.

2.22/5  rDev -32.1%

This beer looks like a hazy orange IPA with a moderate sized white head that leaves behind some lace. It smells like burnt sugars with rotting vegetable matter and smelly hops. I don't like the taste much better and it is kind of hard to drink. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer and i don't understand the name at all. Pass.

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

From my old notes on the 110K series beers.

A: The beer pours a somewhat murky/yeasty orange color with a slightly off-white head.

S: Some nice citrus hops to start with, and a little bit of tropical fruitiness, but overall this beer is too sweet for me. Moderately bready with quite a bit of caramel. Hints of brown sugar and booze.

T: There are some good points to the flavor, for instance it has a nice citrus and tropical fruit note. Unfortunately, it's absolutely too sweet and sugary. Minimal pine bitterness can't save that.

M: Medium in body with a definite stickiness and medium carbonation.

O: Too sweet and malty (and yes, this was when it was pretty fresh). Not my kind of IPA.

1.06/5  rDev -67.6%

Ap- cloudy copper, next to no head. No retention. Cloudy.

Ar - sweet, like an old ale. Slightly oxidized? Caramel and bready. Very thick smell. No hops at all.

T - very sweet, cloying even. A little cardboard. No hop flavor at all. Really pretty gross.

M - lightly carbed. Heavyish body. flavor is so bad it's distracting.

O - pretty much awful. Drain pour for sure. There is nothing about this beer that says IPA. It's sweet, cloying, and undrinkable with no hop presence. I don't know what the guys from Cigar City were thinking with this, I usually love their stuff. Avoid this beer.

2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

A: Pours a muddy orange with no head regardless of a hard pour. No lacing.

S: A sweet malty aroma of caramel malts, honey, and vanilla. Very little hops.

T: Loads of sweet caramel malts, bready malts, & candy sugar. Finishes with a twinge of bitter citrus hops.

M: Full body; no carbonation; slick and oily texture.

O: Before I told my spouse what style this was, I asked him what he thought. He said American Barleywine. I totally agree! Although I liked it, I would never thought this was an DIPA. Not very well balanced, very sweet, and wouldn't recommend this for hop heads. Feel bad giving it a bad score, but this is a bad example of the style. Put that aside and I really enjoyed it.

2.23/5  rDev -31.8%

Ah, the backlog of cellphone reviews. I've hit the maximum, so time to start entering. Consumed summer 2010.

shared w/ portia99, fluffymctingle, and mr. jlindros, I do believe.

A- Caramel amber on the pour with a moderate head. Some pretty sticky lacing, but it's spotty.

S- Wow, sugar-coated hops. Sweet caramel and vanilla.

T- Is this a barleywine? Hops are there, but this is a malty malty malty beer. Too sweet- like someone stirred in a spoonful of sugar. Hops take the backseat- I even lose sight of them at some points. Some nice fruit flavors but they're fleeting and replaced with an overall sugar bomb taste.

M- Thick, syrupy, heavy. Lingering sweetness hurts my teeth. OK, maybe not, but this stuff is sweet.

O- Did not finish. This is a pretty bad DIPA- too sweet to enjoy. I really have to have a bad impression to drainpour a DIPA...

3.31/5  rDev +1.2%

Cigar City smokes NYC event at Rattle N Hum. This dark amber and lacey offering was listed incorrectly as a barleywine, which it was corrected by the Florida Cigar City sales rep to this listing. Neutral aroma, this is the batch from six months back, and the hops are present but subdued in taste and aroma. I found it hard to drink.

2.44/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy orange with minimal head and a bit of lacing on the glass. a slight floral nose with a bit of malts, but really not much else for a big IPA. Some bitter hops and way to much of sweet maltiness for me. Almost a syrup bomb that was not very pleasant to my liking. Hard to finish a 6 oz pour.

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-burnt orange with nice lacing that sticks around awhile
S-slight bit of piney hops. Not much else there.
T-hops have faded leaving more of a malty taste. Leaves a really weird taste that I cannot put a finger on it.
M-medium bodied and smooth
D-nice drinkability considering the abv

3.28/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a murky orwngish brown. Minimal head. Not super pretty. Smells really strongly of oak and hops. Lots of pine o the nose. Tastes syrupy and sweet. Tons of hops on the tongue. Mostly pine but some slight citrus. Overall not very drinkable and honestly tastes like they dumped extra hop ext act into it. Kinda meh overall but still finished my glass!

3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

bomber poured into a Dogfish Head snifter

A - cloudy, dark amber, nice head, great lacing

S - some funky citrusy hops action combined with a little sweetness

T - very sweet; very warm from the alcohol; hops are there but are not all that bitter -- realize this beer is about six months old, but is quite similar to what I remember when fresh

M - creamy, light carbonation

D - a little too sweet to have more than one; similar to Southern Tier Gemini for me, although with less hops and more sweetness

3.36/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Cloudy burnt orange with a huge creamy off-white head

S- Floral hops with a lot of sweet caramel, caramel first, then the hops, shoulda written that the other way around...

T- Sweet caramel malts up front, moves into some subdued floral hops, bready toasted malts finish this up. There's not a whole lot of hop presence here especially for a DIPA

M- Full-bodied, good carbonation and a syrupy coating to the mouth

D- With the toasty malt, I really look forward to aging this one and seeing what that brings. The high marks for drinkability are because I do like this beer a lot but the lower-ish marks elsewhere are because it doesn't really fall in line with the style.

1.9/5  rDev -41.9%

A - Pours a cloudy orange-copper with a thin white haze on the surface. Looks a bit thick, syrupy, and under-carbonated.
S - Very sweet smelling with tons of caramel and dark honey malt, along with some pineapple and mandarin orange hop aromas. I don't think I'm gonna like this, not what I want in an IPA at all...
T - Yeah, I hate this. Cloyingly sweet caramel malt with some canned pineapple and orange peel. Slight bitter grapefruit finish, and a whole bunch of alcohol. Messy and sweet.
M - Thick, viscous and syrupy with very low, almost flat, carbonation.
D - Drainpour. I hated this beer, and I'm starting to think I'll never be a fan of Cigar City's IPA offerings.

4.12/5  rDev +26%

750 mL bottle tried 10 Jul 2010. CServed in the 0.3 L Unibroue snifter. Courtesy of ktrillionaire, thanks!

Medium copper tinged off white head. Lightly carbonated. Cloudy deep copper to burnt orange in color. Aromas of mango and papaya. Quite sweet and lots of tropical fruit. Mangos, candied pineapple, papaya. Strong ethanol presence. Becomes bitter towards the finish but the fruitiness lingers with ethanol in the aftertaste. Syrupy body.

Very tropical.