Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

Added by tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Ratings: 2,130 |  Reviews: 461
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Pours a brillantly clear amber body that tends to be more on the red spectrum. The head is massive with a rocky texture that is very long lasting and leaves behind some lace.

S: This one has a big nose. A great IPA aroma of citrus hops, tropical fruits (pinapple & mango for sure), vanilla (definitely picking up the oak), and a hint of malt. I wish this was a candle I could burn in my house.

T: An explosion of flavor on the palate. A sweet malty upfront followed by a hoppy bitterness- tropical fruit and citrus. Finishes dry, oaky, and bitter, but overall, very well balanced!

M: Creamy (almost oily) texture, medium body, & light carbonation.

D: Another great one from CCB. If you can get your hands on this while it's fresh, do so ASAP. Could drink a ton of these in one sitting. Great beer!

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A dark murkey copper color with little light peaking through sits bellow the finger tall kahki colored head. As it falls into beer it leaves a coat of lacing on the impieral pint glass thick enough to measure.

S: Oak and vanilla with staying power at first impression. A raisin bread and cracker malt aroma and grapefruit, piney hops.

T: On the first sip the woody oak and vanilla flavor is upfront but not overpowering the other flavors. Firm grapefruity bitterness is the next thing grabbing the attention of the pallet and it follows through to the end. The flavors are distinct at cooler temperatures, but as it warms up the oak imparts more flavor and gives the impression of higher bitterness.

M: A moderate amount of body (i get the impression from the oak?) with lower carbonation and a tingly mouth feel from the oak barrel.

O: A very complex and balanced beer. Oak and IPAs have the potential to go really really bad, but this one hit the spot on a HOT day. Cheers to JesseLara for this beer as an extra!

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - pours a cloudy deepish orange copper color with a nice finger of dense tan head, very nice retention, great lacing.

S - lots of oaky aromas, sweet oranges and vanilla are prominent as well. Lots of light, slightly citrusy fruits and honey as well. Relatively tamed hoppy bitterness. Pretty big smell

T- really nice mild but pronounced orange citrusy bitterness initially, honey and oaky vanilla sweep through in a big way, tannin sets in as well. Really complex and well balanced.

M - lightish bodied+, really drinkable, well balanced and smooth despite decent carbonation. Perfect actually.

O - absolutely fantastic, ill have to revisit the regular jai alai, this one knocks it out of the park, largely due to that addition and balance of honey and the white oak. Impressively balanced yet complex

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

At first, I didn't like this as much as regular Jai Alai, but I've really come to appreciate the subtle vanilla notes and added complexity of this beer. Not necessarily better, but definitely different than the original. The beer trades big hop flavor for subtle depth with a slightly creamier mouthfeel.

4.69/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is one of my favorites. The way it smooths out the bitterness and adds the subtle vanilla notes is amazing. A great spin on what was already a great beer. I only wish I could get more of these on a regular basis.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

This is a quality IPA definitely keeps the great Jai Alai flavor and adds some hints of vanilla.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

the biggest lie on this beer is that it is available year-round. Hard beer to find, when they do release it the couple times a year.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to heatwave33 for the trade.

This one poured a milky golden hue that was a little difficult to see through. It had a slightly creamy mouth feel, reminiscent of a Belgian golden ale, but with a slight hop bite that was refreshing. Overall, I really enjoyed this one and could see myself drinking many more if it were distributed up towards Chicago.

Bravo to Cigar City for brewing such a complex brew that is available year round.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into my over sized Founder's snifter.

Liquid is a cloudy amber with a fingers width of off white head. I let it settle a bit before I sniff. A good amount of lacing helplessly clings to my glass. Pleasant smelling. Tropical foot with a wood kick. A huge whiff of stone fruit that is quickly beaten down by a cedar stick. Quite interesting. Wood dominates my palate. Stone fruit slowly follows. The caramel of the malt is in there but the supporting role is very small. A nice hop bite rounds out the sip. The aftertaste is so damn satisfying I pause long in between sips. The carbonation is dialed right in.

If I had more there would be a pile of bottles next to my kitchen sink. This is a winner.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a bottle into a CCB snifter

A: Hazy amber, very similar to original Jai Alai

S: Oak, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, flowers, basically a tropical forest hop bomb.

T: Glorious taste. The white oak takes the original Jai Alai IPA and injects a burst of tropical paradise and a shot of vanilla. The oak seemingly has brought the fruit flavors to the forefront but in a way that perfectly compliments the other flavors.

M: Once again similar to Jai Alai. Definitely some body to it and not thin.

D: Very drinkable. I wish this were available all year round because this would be my IPA of choice.

Out of all the Jai Alai versions I've had, this is my favorite and is one of the finer IPA's I've had. Goes great with the Florida weather.

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Quite possibly the best aroma of any IPA I have ever had. So insanely fresh and bright, with tons of piney/citrus bursting through. As great as regular Jai Alai is, White Oak is just on another level. I have had this many times, both at the brewery on draft and in bottles/cans. This rating is based on the most recent batch - It was canned 4 days ago.

Love this beer

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Was able to snag some sixers of this one on vacation back in May. Finally getting around to drinking and rating my last one. Was hard to find.

Pours a medium amber, orange color with two things of full, thick head. Cloudy with noticeable specks of material and residue floating around. Not sure what this is, part of the oak possibly? Smells amazing; orange peel, lemon, fresh cut grass, sweet vanilla. Tastes even better. It's hoppy, smooth, malty, sweet, bitter, and all in perfect harmony. The finishing notes of vanilla and oak are perfect and mix well with the hoppy bitterness. The hops are more subdued than in normal Jai Alai as expected. The smoothest, most flavorful IPA I've ever had. Light carbonation, smooth, medium bodied. Perfect consistency. Overall an amazing beer and one that I hope to find every year. I can see why people in FL were buying it up and trying to sell it for 4x the normal price.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Had this on tap at CCB. Definitely my favorite thing I had there... and I was a big fan of the Humidor IPA from a previous tasting, too. Just plain interesting. Where can I get some White Oak? Served in a shaker pint glass.

The beer has a creamy, inviting foamy head that just opens my eyes and waters my mouth. Heck yes. You can tell they put a lot of effort into clean glassware here... and since I'm getting it at the brewery, I feel like I can include that in the beer's score. The body itself is a slightly hazy, standard IPA. However, the head alone merits the 4.5.

The IPA was fruity as all get go... and that's how I love my IPAs. They said it was made with a blend of hops and dry hopped with Simcoe. Every one of them added to the smell and taste. It was a veritable mixture of fruits and succulent flavors. The oak itself provides a different kind of fruit flavor. This stuff is addictive and I keep loving every extra sip. In addition to the wonderful flavor, the mouthfeel is solid, but not mindblowing. This isn't exactly a Live Oak beer or anything... but it will do the job.

CCB's experimentation provides some hits and misses, but this hits all over the place. This may be my favorite standard IPA I've had and I'd jump at the chance to have it on tap again.

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Citrus and hoppy goodness...the oak barrel aging really smoothes it out and seems to add some smoky vanilla overtones. Excellent and not easy to find.

Amazing IPA here

Appearance is a nice golden, hazy color, with eggshell colored head, and light carbonation.

The smell of a big ripe fruity burst hits you immediately, with a small alcohol burn, and finishing with a big lasting pine scent. Really enjoyable

Tastes hits the front of the mouth with a ton of fruity, almost pineapple and mango taste - then bitterness hits the back of the tongue , and finally a big juicy bitter finish. Amazing. A little heat from the 7.5 alcohol, but blends perfectly with the sweet tastes - and only gets better while it warms up.

Overall - My favorite IPA by Cigar City.. Their Papaya IPA doesn't even have this immense of a fruity taste. This is right up there with Hopslam. I love it !

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

Appearance - A beautiful golden/amber color. Slightly hazy.

Smell - Wood. Hops. It's in your face and it smells amazing.

Taste - Very apparent notes of oak. There is a subdued note of vanilla from the oak barrel. As with the standard Jai Alai, the hop profile gives a very nice citrusy/floral taste.

Mouthfeel - Slightly creamy. This is likely due to the bottle being in my refrigerator for a few weeks, but nonetheless, it's amazing.

Overall - This beer is in a class of its' own as far as IPA's are concerned (I know, that's subjective). In my humble opinion, this is one of the most delicious IPA's out there if you can get your hands on it!

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

2013 March release batch. I have not been able to get regular Jai Alai for months but Cigar City threw a bone to South Florida and sent some cases of the oaked stuff down.

A- Dark cloudy gold with tons of sediment

S- Floral and oak

T- Delicious soft grapefruit, with wonderful tones of oak and vanilla

M- Nice carbonation for an IPA and has a long finish which is nice and smooth.

At first I thought I had been lucky and received the bottom of the barrel due to the amount of haziness and sediment but however reading the recent posts I have concluded that this batch had more morsels of goodness then in the past. I guess if the trade off is no reg Jai Alai and they send this stuff down every quarter or so, I would not complain.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing