Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Ratings: 2,204 |  Reviews: 485
4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

This is a quality IPA definitely keeps the great Jai Alai flavor and adds some hints of vanilla.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

the biggest lie on this beer is that it is available year-round. Hard beer to find, when they do release it the couple times a year.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to heatwave33 for the trade.

This one poured a milky golden hue that was a little difficult to see through. It had a slightly creamy mouth feel, reminiscent of a Belgian golden ale, but with a slight hop bite that was refreshing. Overall, I really enjoyed this one and could see myself drinking many more if it were distributed up towards Chicago.

Bravo to Cigar City for brewing such a complex brew that is available year round.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into my over sized Founder's snifter.

Liquid is a cloudy amber with a fingers width of off white head. I let it settle a bit before I sniff. A good amount of lacing helplessly clings to my glass. Pleasant smelling. Tropical foot with a wood kick. A huge whiff of stone fruit that is quickly beaten down by a cedar stick. Quite interesting. Wood dominates my palate. Stone fruit slowly follows. The caramel of the malt is in there but the supporting role is very small. A nice hop bite rounds out the sip. The aftertaste is so damn satisfying I pause long in between sips. The carbonation is dialed right in.

If I had more there would be a pile of bottles next to my kitchen sink. This is a winner.

4.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a bottle into a CCB snifter

A: Hazy amber, very similar to original Jai Alai

S: Oak, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, flowers, basically a tropical forest hop bomb.

T: Glorious taste. The white oak takes the original Jai Alai IPA and injects a burst of tropical paradise and a shot of vanilla. The oak seemingly has brought the fruit flavors to the forefront but in a way that perfectly compliments the other flavors.

M: Once again similar to Jai Alai. Definitely some body to it and not thin.

D: Very drinkable. I wish this were available all year round because this would be my IPA of choice.

Out of all the Jai Alai versions I've had, this is my favorite and is one of the finer IPA's I've had. Goes great with the Florida weather.

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Quite possibly the best aroma of any IPA I have ever had. So insanely fresh and bright, with tons of piney/citrus bursting through. As great as regular Jai Alai is, White Oak is just on another level. I have had this many times, both at the brewery on draft and in bottles/cans. This rating is based on the most recent batch - It was canned 4 days ago.

Love this beer

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Was able to snag some sixers of this one on vacation back in May. Finally getting around to drinking and rating my last one. Was hard to find.

Pours a medium amber, orange color with two things of full, thick head. Cloudy with noticeable specks of material and residue floating around. Not sure what this is, part of the oak possibly? Smells amazing; orange peel, lemon, fresh cut grass, sweet vanilla. Tastes even better. It's hoppy, smooth, malty, sweet, bitter, and all in perfect harmony. The finishing notes of vanilla and oak are perfect and mix well with the hoppy bitterness. The hops are more subdued than in normal Jai Alai as expected. The smoothest, most flavorful IPA I've ever had. Light carbonation, smooth, medium bodied. Perfect consistency. Overall an amazing beer and one that I hope to find every year. I can see why people in FL were buying it up and trying to sell it for 4x the normal price.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Had this on tap at CCB. Definitely my favorite thing I had there... and I was a big fan of the Humidor IPA from a previous tasting, too. Just plain interesting. Where can I get some White Oak? Served in a shaker pint glass.

The beer has a creamy, inviting foamy head that just opens my eyes and waters my mouth. Heck yes. You can tell they put a lot of effort into clean glassware here... and since I'm getting it at the brewery, I feel like I can include that in the beer's score. The body itself is a slightly hazy, standard IPA. However, the head alone merits the 4.5.

The IPA was fruity as all get go... and that's how I love my IPAs. They said it was made with a blend of hops and dry hopped with Simcoe. Every one of them added to the smell and taste. It was a veritable mixture of fruits and succulent flavors. The oak itself provides a different kind of fruit flavor. This stuff is addictive and I keep loving every extra sip. In addition to the wonderful flavor, the mouthfeel is solid, but not mindblowing. This isn't exactly a Live Oak beer or anything... but it will do the job.

CCB's experimentation provides some hits and misses, but this hits all over the place. This may be my favorite standard IPA I've had and I'd jump at the chance to have it on tap again.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Citrus and hoppy goodness...the oak barrel aging really smoothes it out and seems to add some smoky vanilla overtones. Excellent and not easy to find.

Amazing IPA here

Appearance is a nice golden, hazy color, with eggshell colored head, and light carbonation.

The smell of a big ripe fruity burst hits you immediately, with a small alcohol burn, and finishing with a big lasting pine scent. Really enjoyable

Tastes hits the front of the mouth with a ton of fruity, almost pineapple and mango taste - then bitterness hits the back of the tongue , and finally a big juicy bitter finish. Amazing. A little heat from the 7.5 alcohol, but blends perfectly with the sweet tastes - and only gets better while it warms up.

Overall - My favorite IPA by Cigar City.. Their Papaya IPA doesn't even have this immense of a fruity taste. This is right up there with Hopslam. I love it !

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

Appearance - A beautiful golden/amber color. Slightly hazy.

Smell - Wood. Hops. It's in your face and it smells amazing.

Taste - Very apparent notes of oak. There is a subdued note of vanilla from the oak barrel. As with the standard Jai Alai, the hop profile gives a very nice citrusy/floral taste.

Mouthfeel - Slightly creamy. This is likely due to the bottle being in my refrigerator for a few weeks, but nonetheless, it's amazing.

Overall - This beer is in a class of its' own as far as IPA's are concerned (I know, that's subjective). In my humble opinion, this is one of the most delicious IPA's out there if you can get your hands on it!

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +10%

2013 March release batch. I have not been able to get regular Jai Alai for months but Cigar City threw a bone to South Florida and sent some cases of the oaked stuff down.

A- Dark cloudy gold with tons of sediment

S- Floral and oak

T- Delicious soft grapefruit, with wonderful tones of oak and vanilla

M- Nice carbonation for an IPA and has a long finish which is nice and smooth.

At first I thought I had been lucky and received the bottom of the barrel due to the amount of haziness and sediment but however reading the recent posts I have concluded that this batch had more morsels of goodness then in the past. I guess if the trade off is no reg Jai Alai and they send this stuff down every quarter or so, I would not complain.

4.63/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A delicious brew, very complex, blending flavors from a wide variety of sources. Big fruity hop and yeast ester notes, a rich biscuity malt backbone, drying tannic wood character as well as a nice round vanilla note. While to the average passer by this beer may not seem like anything revolutionary, to a fellow beer nerd and brewer, this beer is a game changer and is unique and delicious in a world of copycats and posers. I don't think I have had a beer that has impressed me more than this one.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

wow, this is one of the best beers ive ever had! it pours a deep copper color with good carbonation amounting to a few fingers of lasting white head. the nose is incredible. pine hops in full swing, but with some oaky and bourbon style vanilla essences giving a refined sweetness and earthen profile to an already outstanding ipa. the oak adds a lot of flavor too, with vanilla being the most evident contribution. its there through the whole drink, and really softens up some of the bitterness from the regular jai alai, without depleting the intensity of the hops at all. the malt is sturdy enough to support all this complexity, and the carbonation is mellow but just right. the alcohol is also very well disguised, and I could happily (and drunkenly) consume five or eight of these no problem. this beer is in many ways everything I stand for in beer, its artfully made, its super sessionable, is complex and hoppy, and its entirely unique. one of the more memorable beers out there, and one I would love to acquire more of. not sure ive had a wooded beer that I like more, no kidding. this is an A+

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz into a DFH Signature Glass.

Pours a hazy deep orange. Throws up a giant 3 inch head with nice retention and great lacing. Aroma is sweet citrus hops and lovely wood. Taste follows, with the oak taking center stage. I love what the guys down in Tampa are doing with Jai Alai. This beer is their canvas, and every iteration I have been lucky enough to try is a masterpiece.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bit faded but the date appears to be Aug 15, 2012. 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a hazy dark orange body. Loads of yeast and sediment line the bottom of the glass. A frothy and soapy two finger off white head forms and sticks around for a while. Immense lacing and retention. Looks like the topping of a cappuccino. It certainly doesn't bother me, but I've yet to see a beer have this much sediment.

S - Where to start? This beer is just so unique. Aroma starts off with intense ripe mango and peach juice. Candied peach rings, some floral hops and a touch of the dankness that I found in the standard Jai Alai. Finally on the end there is some wood and warm vanilla.

T - Less tropical than the nose. Grassy and floral hops start off. Some peaches and cream. Then a strong wood presence with some vanilla. Mouth feel is silky, creamy and well carbonated. Really great feel to it.

O - Really unique beer here. I guess the closest thing to compare this to would be Burton Baton. Huge gobs of tropical notes with a fresh white oak finish. Perma-ISO!

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

From the bottom of the can: "CANNED ON 03/20/17 CHEERS 28965"

Appearance: The body is golden orange with a lot of suspended solids and some haze. the head is rocky and white with very good retention and lacing.

Aroma: I get a huge burst of peach mixed with garlic and onion following suit. Subsequent sniffs give notes of tangerine and clementine oranges. It has an intoxicating aroma.

Taste: There is this big peach flavor to the beer that tastes like the area right at the pit. It's absolutely fantastic. It's the kind of flavor that you just drink and drink and don't get tired of. There is this light vanilla flavor that starts to build up on the palate and it kind-of tastes like peaches and cream after a bit.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium-to-light body with a smooth velvety texture that isn't normally present in an IPA. The texture really works for this beer and gives it this added quality or value to the beer that elevates the overall experience.

Overall: I was very satisfied with the beer overall. It's the kind of beer that you taste, wonder if it was really that good or your imagination, taste it again, and repeat the process over and over. This beer adds an extra component to the already delicious Jai Alai that would be very hard to beat. I would urge people to seek out this beer and taste how fantastic it is. I will be buying more of it.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap into a ccb pint glass

A golden, hazy, nice thick white head, light lacing, head dissipates at a medium pace into a nice white crown

S wow! Coconut, vanilla, sweet hops, light citrus. Amazing!

T the best thing ever! Heavy coconut, vanilla beginning and middle, almost tropical hop and citrus ending. The after taste is mellow and smooth coconut milk.

M smooth as silk. light, good carbonation, fun.

O in my top 3 ipas of all time.,, this beer is delicious, if you have the opportunity get it and get a lot of out. Highly recommended by me, not that it matters, but wow, it is great

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled at the Cigar City Brewery less than a week ago, thanks to my great friends in Florida! 12oz bottle poured into a Snifter.

A: Color is amber gold, head recedes quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing.

S: Here is where this beer dominates. Heavy aromas of grapefruit, oak/wood, citrus, and hints of pineapple, peaches, and coconut. Amazing, i can't wait to indulge.

T: Very nice. All that comes through in the smell translates beautifully in the taste. Lots of grapefruit, well balanced, and the oak adds a one-of-a-kind complexity to this beer.

M: Light carbonation, smooth and light, very drinkable.

O: I am pretty wowed by this beer, never had an IPA with all these tropical flavors. So damn good.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing