Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

1.75/5  rDev -57.8%

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

2.31/5  rDev -44.3%

A - pours a golden orange with a thin layer of foam. No retention

S - a very oaky and overwhelming odor. Extremely difficult to endure.

T - the oaky flavor completely dominates the whole beer

M - light and sloppy on the finish

O - Not impressed. The oak completely destroys the flavor of the beer. I did not enjoy this one.

2.46/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into bruery snifter.

Pours a finger of white head that thins out. Leaves a bit of lace. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Butter, oak, and cedar flavors. It has some sharp fruits and and some floral hops.

Taste: Again, this beer is very buttery which distracts from anything that may be good here. It has a floral hop profile with a tropical fruit citrus blend and it is all topped off with oak and cedar. Reminds me of their humidor series beers.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but really creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit sticky.

Overall, this beer could have been good if it wasn't so buttery. I did like the flavors, but I couldn't get passed the butter. Not really for me.

2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

2.56/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I like the regular Jai Alai, I would give it a 8 of 10...This version tastes like i poured it into the hamster cage at the pet store and squeezed out the beer from pee soaked bedding layer or whatever its called below into my glass...1-4pk per person at my location, I am thankful for that. I had 3 other seasoned craft beer drinkers that love IPA's try and they agreed. Blah...I'll stick with the regular Jai Alai! Canned on 2-11-15.

2.58/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

2.64/5  rDev -36.4%

I honestly don't understand why breweries feel that barrel aging an IPA is a good idea. Apparently, a lot of of people like it, especially in the case of Jai Alai. To me, the barrel aging on this beer is simply a masking agent whose sole purpose is to hide the bitter, skunky taste of a base beer that has gone bad while sitting in a barrel. In a way, it's somewhat successful, in that it makes an expired beer palatable, by adding different dimensions - a little bit of vanilla and kind of an earthy, mellow tone. At the same time, the aftertaste and baseline skunkiness remind me of that 10 month old IPA bottle that you find in the fridge every once in a while, that you open, take a drink of, then pour it down the drain. I like CCB beers, but I just don't get this one.

2.67/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I am a huge fan of regular Jai Alai. It is one of my two favorites IPAs.

White Oak Jai Alai tastes no where near its original or an IPA. I may have had a shipment of bad bottles from Letspour (not likely, they have good quality control) but all the bottles tasted like cinder butter. They smelled of mild oak aged diacetyl (white oak may have caused this confusion). It had a warm and creamy mouth feel. I wanted to like this beer so much. I will try again in the future to see if my bottles were bad. Stick with normal Jai Alai.

2.71/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clearish amber color with a finger's worth of off-white head. It has a sudsy texture with good retention and many webs of lacing left behind.

Despite only being one and a half months old, stale and muted hops pervade the aroma. I guess twinges of pine, grapefruit, and grass show up. On the other hand, oak and vanilla are prominent - it doesn't quite make up for the assertive caramel malt profile. All in all, it's not a very showy nose.

Taste follows suit. It starts with a moderate piny bitterness, giving way to a sweet caramel middle. The finish is the most interesting aspect: notes of oak, vanilla, and tobacco are offered. However, bitterness becomes uncontrolled on the lingering aftertaste. It has muted flavors, no balance, and too much of a bitter bite. Translation: it doesn't work.

This is a full bodied brew that's semi-creamy and off-dry. To me, it just reinforces the bitterness excessively. Carbonation is moderate and oak tannins are gentle.

To be frank, this isn't my thing. The oak is too weak to compensate for the effects of aging plain ol' Jai Alai. This is highly mediocre, and I will not buy it again.

2.71/5: Wood-aged IPAs are just a flawed style

2.74/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle drank from my Darkness glass, given to me by Mike...Pours a medium copper with an orange tint. An off white head rises about a finger, settles quickly to a decent soapy head with good retention...The aroma is sweet caramel on the front with tons of fresh oak that is also pretty sweet, its lots of wood but I'm liking it, shockingly...The taste sadly doesn't translate as well. Its all wood and in a bad way, might as well be licking a fresh piece of wood, way to similar to cigar series ipa which was all cedar closet...The feel is good, sticky pine and tannic, a very interesting sensation.

Another failed Cigar City wood beer. Skip this.

2.77/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.87/5  rDev -30.8%

I'm trying to figure out if these beers are just so progressive I don't understand them, or if they just taste bad. Based on my review, I guess you see where I went with it.

A - Nice Orange colored beer, opaque, with a great two finger foam head that had amazing retention but dissipated unevenly.

S - An herbal/woodey/almost cedar type smell wraps the malts up and kind of mixes with some citrusy hops. It's a bit fruity smelling, almost some pineapple, not bad.

T - Wow, if there's such a thing as an oak bomb, this is it. Seems a lot more like cedar in some respects, but I feel like I'm straining my beer through a stick or chewing on when when drinking this. There is a nice pineapple fruit precense, and some very citrusy hops, not very bitter, but this weird wood is too much for me, don't like it.

M - It's creamy, medium bodied, decent carbonation.

D - Hard for me to drink due to the taste. I don't like this beer.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing