Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Ratings: 2,176 |  Reviews: 477
3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

A - light IPA in appearance. Looks light and refreshing in glass.

S - Hop city here with a dash of sweaty old gym sock. Funk Town, USA.

T - kind of disappointing. This is a workout. Albeit, I am not a serious hophead, I do appreciate a good IPA. This thing is a workout. Seriously bitter, I don't see that the oak age mellowed this guy out too much. Lots of bite, I can't see doing more than two of these in a day. If bitter hop taste is your thing, go for it.

M - nothing to see here. Not very memorable.

O - picked this up because I am visiting family in the Tampa area and I had heard positive buzz about cigar city and this beer. I'll pass on this one if I see it again.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

3.37/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -17.6%

Thank you jcartamdg for this, along with the wonderful vessel I'm drinking it out of!

A: Small white head rests on a hazy orange pour, but lacks the retention Jai Alai IPA obtains. A nice ring forms along the rims of my brand new Cigar City snifter.

S: Big vanilla smell on this one, lots of oak mixed in. Missing a bit of the piney hops.

T: As with the smell, missing the hops here. Grapefruit, and some maltiness, mix with an oakiness and some vanilla towards the end. Really way more malt forward than I expected.

MF: Finish is dry, carbonation is low.

D: Not on the level of Jai Alai, good experiment, but I'd take the original any day.

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I didn't find this to be drastically different than regular. Dark orange with a much less active head this time around.

Aromas of strong pine sap and light bready malt at first, then it turns lightly dank. This is where the white oak plays a role as I do get some of that dill co-mingling with some pine needles. Not as extreme as a pickle--I've had two other aged IPAs that were just terrible in that regard so I recognize the risk.

Flavors of grapefruit, floral and herbal notes, and maybe orange blossom are rounded out with some oaky vanilla notes that tone down some of the bitterness found in regular.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 14JUL11

A: pours an apricot ale with a full finger of maple foam which falls slowly to a quilt of the same. Sheets of lace. Slightly hazy.

S: So, I've heard there are coconut/pina colada notes in this beer. Never believed it....Turns out, they were right. Nice woody character with pineapple and a slight follow through of dry coconut shavings. Pretty cool.

T: Sweet and dry. Some citrus and more sharp pineapple with a resiny midsection and a dry biscuity malt profile lends itself well to the dominant bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with hi carbonation and a dry finish. Would like a bit of a slick on the palate to work with here.

O: A good beer, but the more I drink this, the more I think I prefer the O.G. in this unit. I like how the oak has added the unusual suspect of coconut and dry woodiness (which I found less so in the original). The mouthfeel is off on this for me: needs lower carb and something to resonate the finish off.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

A-hazy orange with white head that sticks around for awhile.
S-almost smells like white cheddar cheese its. Must be the white oak
T-get a lot of the wood compared to the hops. Wood really over powers it.
M-medium body and very dry
O-OK at best. Oo much wood

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

2012 bottle served in a pint glass.
The aroma is dominated by fruity hops, with notes of tangerine and orange, as well as oak. The oak becomes even more prominent in the flavor. Too much oak IMO. At least the oak aging has the benefit of creating a very smooth feel in this medium-bodied IPA. Moderately bitter but has an overly earthy/woody aftertaste.

O: quite woody IPA. I much prefer the regular Jai Alai.

3.46/5  rDev -16.6%

12 oz bottle, poured into pint glass

Appearance: Orange-like gold, not perfectly clear but just a tiny bit cloudy, good amount of an off-white head.

Smell: Very unique. I get like a coconut somehow. It smells tropical but there is something there that gives it a bit of funk too. Can't tell what it is. Not too much of a traditional hop smell. Maybe a bit of a buttery smell in there? To be honest, it's not very appealing.

Taste: It tastes better than the smell, but you are overwhelmed a bit by the tropical flavors. You get hit with the hops at first but the fade away as the other flavors take over. Honestly, I think this is one of those IPAs where the aging on wood didn't help. The normal IPA couldn't hold up to the additional flavors added from the wood. It's not bad, but it's just not something I would seek out.

Overall: I know some people rave about this. To each his own. It's not for me. I'd rather have a good normal IPA.

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip

A - Strange looking sediment in the bottle - way more than expected or than I've ever seen. Was a really distracting image in the back of my mind while I watched a small amount of sediment settle in my glass even though I poured carefully. The beer is a burning orange color with white head. Quite a bit of lacing, some patches of head retention.

S - Sharp oaky vanilla dominates classic citrusy American hop aromas. Behind that, earthy aroma.

T - Some pale malt mixed with a smoother version of the aroma. The woody oak really dominates, and the IPA allows for this nicely.

M - Crisp and dry. Not harsh, but not a thirst quencher. Puckering.

O - I rinsed out the bottle right after pouring the beer and was really disturbed by the sediment that came out of it. I know that this is not always a sign of deathbeer. I like pouring all the yeast into my weissbiers and witbiers. But. Still, I approached the beer with some trepidation. It was interesting and not bad at all. Not sure it is one that I would go out of my way to have again, but i wouldn't turn it down. It was nice to drink a lighter beer with the oak flavors present. Most of the oak aged beers I've had are DARK. If you have a chance, give it a shot. I'm grateful I was able to try it.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Received this "new to me" bottle from a fantastic trade with ohsaycanyoubeer. Big props Matthew!!

Poured into my HotD goblet.. hazed orange with a nice white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Nose is oak, light toasty malt and lighter caramel, and a big sorta tangerine hoppiness.

Big and oaky.. pithy citrus zest.. a bit of vanilla for sure.. malts come out swinging but get carried away by the other flavors.. finishes with a fermented out toasty maltiness and a dry oak quality.

Body is big for a standard IPA.. but I generally get that from CC IPA's.

Nicely done... I would buy this pretty regularly if I had it available.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.25/3.5

Thanks again Matthew!!

Review from notes.

A: Pours a very hazy orange/peach color with a small white head on top. Decent retention and some lacing, but nothing really special.

S: Slightly hoppy, but not as much as regular jai alai. There is a little bit of apple and a little bit of wood. There is some toffee on the back end.

T: Kind of muted, a decent amount of woody oak, some caramel and toffee. A bit of citrus/orange and vanilla round it out, but the citrus level is relatively low.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Not bad, but I prefer the unoaked version more. The oak seemed to mute some of the hops a bit.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing