Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

Alströms:

Ratings: 2,198 |  Reviews: 482
3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Liter flip-top growler into a tulip glass. Thanks go to Jw347 for this in a recent trade.

Pours a great looking clear copper here, with maybe just the slightest haze to it, topped with about a finger of bright-white foamy head. This retains with a tight ½ finger that throws a heavy cascade of rich and spotty foam all over the sides of the glass. Really nice rich look here. The Jai Alai jumps out immediately, being floral, spicy, and lush with tropical fruit character that it then undercut some more herbal and danker character as well. Stiff smelling grains and warmth sit underneath the hop flavors but it's the wood and vanilla notes that are most prominent here. Maybe a bit too much actually, but it doesn't seem to interfere with the other flavors in the nose much.

The taste is initially pretty sweet with lightly toasted grains and juicy citrus character but is well balanced by a hoppy bite of bitter grapefruit and lingering notes of rind and spice which give this a deep and assertive finish. The vanilla and tannins from the oak add a LOT of extra woody and earthy tanginess to the profile that then lends this some considerable dryness as well. The mouthfeel has a heavier medium bodied feel to it, with a fuller creaminess that fills up the mouth in the front but then gives way to a much slicker feel from all of those hop oils more towards the swallow. There is some warmth here in the body and it about falls into what you would expect for a 7-8% beer.

I haven't had a whole lot of wood-aged IPAs to compare this to but this one seemed a little too heavy on the oak flavors at times. I would have liked to have seen all of that vanilla and wood be a bit more integrated in with the other flavors and that combined with the alcohol heft that is present in the body are what held the drinkibility of this back some for me. I'm definitely glad that I got to try it but this liter growler was more than enough for me.

First had: on tap at Cigar City, Tampa, FL

Hazy copper pour, with a small but solid cap of frothy white head that retained well and left soapy lacing on the glass. Fresh hops in the aroma, juicy citrus, woody, notes of sweet biscuity malts just barely coming through. Citrusy malts were the dominant factor in the taste, a big hit of grapefruit greeted me, lesser notes of biscuity malts, cane sugar, crisp oak and just a hint of vegetal vanilla bean. Medium body, effervescent carbonation, quite good overall.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.99/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Cigar City pint glass. It poured a murky, orange/amber color with a dense and rocky head overflowing from the glass. Fantastic head retention to it, as a thick foam was there throughout drinking it. Very nice lacing as well. Pretty much a perfect looking beer of the style for me.

The aroma has a very nice and juicy hoppiness to it. I get a lot of grapefruit flavor out of it, wit ha little mango and peach as well. The oak is also there and adds some vanilla and moderate woody flavors. The oak is very well done and enhances the flavors instead of overpowering them.

The taste shows more of the oak than the nose did. I get a little vanilla mixed wit ha pretty big earthy, woody flavor. The juicy, grapefruit like hop flavors are also there. The finish mixes some moderate bitterness with some of the sweeter, juicy, and woody flavors. Very nice hoppiness to it and the wood flavors really enhanced the flavors for me without being too overbearing.

The mouthfeel is a bit heavy for an IPA, with carbonation being moderate. The heavy mouthfeel makes it seem even juicier and almost pulpy. It actually fit the beer pretty nicely. Overall, I really liked this beer. I liked it a lot better then the cedar one as well. The oak was very nice in it, but still allowed the hops to shine. I'm not usually one for wood treatments to IPA's so this one surprised me a bit. Very solid beer overall.

4.11/5  rDev -2.4%

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours an effervescent amber with 2 finger of cream colored head. Pretty good head retention & great lacing

S: Mango, pear & vanila

T: Follows the nose, much dryness & some pomelo too up front. Woody bitterness comes through as this warms, nice bready/fruity sweetness to balance it. Finishes with some mango & pomelo & on point white oakyness/dryness

MF: Medium body, firm carbonation, nice balance

Drinks very easy, like as much as the flagship, if not more

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark but dull orange-hued body with a medium-sized, frothy, white head.

Smell: A mild-tempered pale malt base giving rise to bolder notes of fresh, juicy citrus fruits and zestful, raw oak wood.

Taste: Pale malts, very faintly bready and with a flash flash of sweet caramel before the beer becomes dry. Quite dry, in fact, as the tannic qualities from the oak being to take hold. Teensy, tiny hints of peach and apricot. Hops bring in the citrus goodness with a moderate bitterness. Drying, bitterish finish with some lingering fruitiness and late-arriving vanilla hints.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: A enjoyable, well-executed rendition, though I'd still lean towards the cedar variety. That's just me, though!

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a very hazy orange/peach color with a small white head on top. Decent retention and some lacing, but nothing really special.

S: Slightly hoppy, but not as much as regular jai alai. There is a little bit of apple and a little bit of wood. There is some toffee on the back end.

T: Kind of muted, a decent amount of woody oak, some caramel and toffee. A bit of citrus/orange and vanilla round it out, but the citrus level is relatively low.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Not bad, but I prefer the unoaked version more. The oak seemed to mute some of the hops a bit.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer!

4.57/5  rDev +8.6%

Another instant classic from CCB, I was beyond thrilled when this one hit my porch yesterday. Thank you soo much. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 07/10/10.

Pour is immediately cloudy with a thin wispy head of white that caps the top rather nicely I might add. Settles down into a dark amber color that really puts on quite a nice show.

Aroma is soo different then anything else it is hard to put into words. Spicy, lots of oak, hints of pepper, light hops. Really very nicely done. A whole nother world here folks. As you let it warm it really starts to show off. Really such a woody beer as all I can really taste are spicy notes of oak, hints of light peppery hops, some herbal qualities and that wonderful sense of oak. I really cannot describe it any other way. Light hints of booze in the finish with a dry spicy note again to close the show.

Overall one of the best treatments I have seen them do by far Simply amazing.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

thanks to Maltzilla for the chance to taste this beer -poured chilled into a willybecker.

A deep apricot shade w/ towering rocky ecru cap w/ whipped topography, mildly hazy -yet visibly carbonated with spacious bubbles and spotty lace pattern. The smell is very fruity with a lot of oaky resin odor and the nose has a bit more pine cone hop scent than floral but a slight citrus accent is there. The feel is good, w/ very oaky and astringent accents lives up to the name w/ moderate bitterness and light sweetness w/ a bit of creamy and oaky texture almost. The finish is drying and oily with hop resin and the body is medium with a moderately low amount of carbonation.

The taste is very good with a balance of bitter and spicy hops with the sweetness of the gentle oak taste and malt. The yeast is there w/ no doubt as it blends in well w/ the astringency of the hops. the hops have a nice citrus quality which also seems to add some piney. The oak comes off as an ingredient that is well integrated here - you aren't sure if you are tasting hops or the oak at times. A nice caramel maltiness adds to the mystery -am I getting vanilla from the oak or is the malt what I am tasting? It cushions the acidity of the hops but lends astringency where it is needed with a mild toasted taste from the malt. there is a subtle wood and herbal blend of slightly lemony flavors that linger after the taste. Overall I enjoyed this IPA a lot It is treated very well w/ the oak not dominating like the cedar version I tasted. It adds a layer of complexity and I would certainly not mind having this again.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Giant white head that has finally tapered off as I write this. The top of the beer still has a coat of foam on it. The beer itself is a light amber.

Smell - Not what I expected. With most oaked IPAs, I smell sweetness enhanced by wood. This one has a sharp, fresh oak aroma. A citrusy hop aroma is there, as well.

Taste - Nowhere near as sweet as I expected. It is a very fresh IPA. The oak actually adds to the bitterness instead of softening any flavors. This is far more appealing than other oaked IPAs I've had. The hop flavor takes a backseat to the oak, at least to me. Obviously, there's still a hop flavor, but I'm more interested in the oak.

Mouthfeel - Pretty high in carbonation. Makes the beer feel lighter and fresher. It's not syrupy. Just the right consistency for a standard IPA. I detect no alcohol whatsoever. There is a bite at the end from the woodiness.

Overall - A very interesting oaked IPA. Nothing like any other I've had. Has none of the cloying sweetness of other oaked IPAs, which I really appreciate.

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to our IPA day party.

A - Pours murky orange with a small one finger tall white head leaving very light lace down the glass.

S - Smells of caramel malt, vanilla, slightly dulled citric hops, oranges, and lots of dry oak tannins. All things considered this is very well done and has good balance.

T - Starts off with some light citric hop bitterness quickly giving way to a mix of dry oak tannins, vanilla, and dulled citric fruit. The finish is a mix of dryness and light hop bitterness, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Mix of dry oak tannins and light hop bitterness that lingers on the pallet for some time.

O - Pretty good. I like the regular version of this beer quite a bit and this one is no different. I thought the addition of the oak might be a bit too overpowering but it really worked.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing