Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Ratings: 2,160 |  Reviews: 472
4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

thanks to Maltzilla for the chance to taste this beer -poured chilled into a willybecker.

A deep apricot shade w/ towering rocky ecru cap w/ whipped topography, mildly hazy -yet visibly carbonated with spacious bubbles and spotty lace pattern. The smell is very fruity with a lot of oaky resin odor and the nose has a bit more pine cone hop scent than floral but a slight citrus accent is there. The feel is good, w/ very oaky and astringent accents lives up to the name w/ moderate bitterness and light sweetness w/ a bit of creamy and oaky texture almost. The finish is drying and oily with hop resin and the body is medium with a moderately low amount of carbonation.

The taste is very good with a balance of bitter and spicy hops with the sweetness of the gentle oak taste and malt. The yeast is there w/ no doubt as it blends in well w/ the astringency of the hops. the hops have a nice citrus quality which also seems to add some piney. The oak comes off as an ingredient that is well integrated here - you aren't sure if you are tasting hops or the oak at times. A nice caramel maltiness adds to the mystery -am I getting vanilla from the oak or is the malt what I am tasting? It cushions the acidity of the hops but lends astringency where it is needed with a mild toasted taste from the malt. there is a subtle wood and herbal blend of slightly lemony flavors that linger after the taste. Overall I enjoyed this IPA a lot It is treated very well w/ the oak not dominating like the cedar version I tasted. It adds a layer of complexity and I would certainly not mind having this again.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

A: The pour is orange in color with a dense and creamy white head.

S: Smells quite sugary and oak forward. I get a lot of brown sugar, vanilla, and fruit notes. Seems to be some peach and orange aroma in there. Maybe a bit of oxidation as well.

T: The amount of oak flavor in this beer is surprising. A lot of tannins and vanilla to go with the sugary notes I get. Brown sugar, caramel, and oranges, maybe some of the peaches, too. A pretty mild level of citric hops.

M: The body and the carbonation are both medium.

D: This was interesting. I didn't dislike it as a beer (thought it was pretty decent), but as an IPA, it's not what I would be interested in having.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer!

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to our IPA day party.

A - Pours murky orange with a small one finger tall white head leaving very light lace down the glass.

S - Smells of caramel malt, vanilla, slightly dulled citric hops, oranges, and lots of dry oak tannins. All things considered this is very well done and has good balance.

T - Starts off with some light citric hop bitterness quickly giving way to a mix of dry oak tannins, vanilla, and dulled citric fruit. The finish is a mix of dryness and light hop bitterness, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Mix of dry oak tannins and light hop bitterness that lingers on the pallet for some time.

O - Pretty good. I like the regular version of this beer quite a bit and this one is no different. I thought the addition of the oak might be a bit too overpowering but it really worked.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Giant white head that has finally tapered off as I write this. The top of the beer still has a coat of foam on it. The beer itself is a light amber.

Smell - Not what I expected. With most oaked IPAs, I smell sweetness enhanced by wood. This one has a sharp, fresh oak aroma. A citrusy hop aroma is there, as well.

Taste - Nowhere near as sweet as I expected. It is a very fresh IPA. The oak actually adds to the bitterness instead of softening any flavors. This is far more appealing than other oaked IPAs I've had. The hop flavor takes a backseat to the oak, at least to me. Obviously, there's still a hop flavor, but I'm more interested in the oak.

Mouthfeel - Pretty high in carbonation. Makes the beer feel lighter and fresher. It's not syrupy. Just the right consistency for a standard IPA. I detect no alcohol whatsoever. There is a bite at the end from the woodiness.

Overall - A very interesting oaked IPA. Nothing like any other I've had. Has none of the cloying sweetness of other oaked IPAs, which I really appreciate.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle gifted by Chaney. Thanks Brandon! I split this with Paul earlier this summer. Review from notes.

The beer is a copper orange hue with a thick, white head that displays lasting retention and leaves ample lacing cascading down the pint glass.

The aroma is a huge blast of oak and vanilla, followed by hops and some caramel malt. I can smell the beer from a few feet away. Alrighty then.

The flavor is decent. The beer is done well, but a little bit goes a long way here. Sweet and oaky, this is best enjoyed in small doses. I don't see this brew as an IPA, per se, but more of a wood aged strong ale. Again, lots of oak and vanilla dominate the flavor profile to a large degree. The heavy malt bill works with the beer, but not if you were expecting or hoping for a hop forward IPA. This drinks more along the lines of an American strong ale or barleywine, as the hop profile is being overrun with oak, vanilla, and sweet malt.

An interesting brew. I have yet to truly relish any sort of barrel aged IPA. I am all for exploration and creativity, but it seems, to me at least, that IPAs are better left alone. I am grateful for the opportunity to try this. Not my favorite type of beer, but I would certainly try it again.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Received in trade from Meadme, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a fairly cloudy deep golden orange color with a heck of a frothy white head that leaves lots of lace on the way down. Smells of earthy fresh cut wood, woody hops and a hint of cardboard. There's a malty bready component deep underneath, but its subtle at best. Really it smells like fresh cut wet wood. Taste is spicy and woody with bits of bread and caramel. The hops are faint or maybe my palette has trouble tasting through the wood. Medium to light body with a moderate level of carbonation and a light almost watery mouthfeel. I love the out of the box thinking, but this is not my favorite result of that thinking. The fresh wood flavor and aroma is a bit intense and seems to overpower rather than enhance a great ipa like Jai Alai.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, canned only 6 days ago into a matching CCB snifter. The brew pours a perfectly clear copper color with a finger of tan head. The cap fades to a thin film leaving spotty lace on the glass.

The aroma has lots of fruity and floral hop quality with some citrus like orange zest and strong fresh grapefruit juice. As it is smelled more a little bit of buttery toffee comes out with a very strong woodiness.

The taste is bitter with herbal hops, a little piney and dank with zest, rind and pith like orange/grapefruit juice. However, there is also a brash oaked quality that tastes very woody and neutral that almost has a spice faintly like cedar. The woodiness just doesnt seem to work, it clashes and has a slight buttery flavor into the aftertaste that was unexpected and even more strange.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is about as fresh as I could imagine ever getting shy of being at the brewery when it was released. Sadly, the oak clashes and distracts instead of complimenting. Worth a try but this just didnt do it for me. I'll take normal jai alai every time over this.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%