Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

Added by tpd975 on 06-13-2010

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
Reviews: 405 | Ratings: 1,902
2.67/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I am a huge fan of regular Jai Alai. It is one of my two favorites IPAs.

White Oak Jai Alai tastes no where near its original or an IPA. I may have had a shipment of bad bottles from Letspour (not likely, they have good quality control) but all the bottles tasted like cinder butter. They smelled of mild oak aged diacetyl (white oak may have caused this confusion). It had a warm and creamy mouth feel. I wanted to like this beer so much. I will try again in the future to see if my bottles were bad. Stick with normal Jai Alai.

2.64/5  rDev -36.4%

I honestly don't understand why breweries feel that barrel aging an IPA is a good idea. Apparently, a lot of of people like it, especially in the case of Jai Alai. To me, the barrel aging on this beer is simply a masking agent whose sole purpose is to hide the bitter, skunky taste of a base beer that has gone bad while sitting in a barrel. In a way, it's somewhat successful, in that it makes an expired beer palatable, by adding different dimensions - a little bit of vanilla and kind of an earthy, mellow tone. At the same time, the aftertaste and baseline skunkiness remind me of that 10 month old IPA bottle that you find in the fridge every once in a while, that you open, take a drink of, then pour it down the drain. I like CCB beers, but I just don't get this one.

2.56/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I like the regular Jai Alai, I would give it a 8 of 10...This version tastes like i poured it into the hamster cage at the pet store and squeezed out the beer from pee soaked bedding layer or whatever its called below into my glass...1-4pk per person at my location, I am thankful for that. I had 3 other seasoned craft beer drinkers that love IPA's try and they agreed. Blah...I'll stick with the regular Jai Alai! Canned on 2-11-15.

2.46/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into bruery snifter.

Pours a finger of white head that thins out. Leaves a bit of lace. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Butter, oak, and cedar flavors. It has some sharp fruits and and some floral hops.

Taste: Again, this beer is very buttery which distracts from anything that may be good here. It has a floral hop profile with a tropical fruit citrus blend and it is all topped off with oak and cedar. Reminds me of their humidor series beers.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but really creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit sticky.

Overall, this beer could have been good if it wasn't so buttery. I did like the flavors, but I couldn't get passed the butter. Not really for me.

2.31/5  rDev -44.3%

A - pours a golden orange with a thin layer of foam. No retention

S - a very oaky and overwhelming odor. Extremely difficult to endure.

T - the oaky flavor completely dominates the whole beer

M - light and sloppy on the finish

O - Not impressed. The oak completely destroys the flavor of the beer. I did not enjoy this one.

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last