Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Ratings: 2,209 |  Reviews: 485

After a bunch of head to head tastings, I am confident in saying that this is one of my favorite beers that I have ever had. I drink Jai Alai on a regular basis, and it is certainly a go-to for me, but the oak aged variant is pretty much liquid perfection. This beats even Burton Baton in terms of what oak aging can do to a hoppy beer.

The oak aging softens some of the citrus notes of the original, and adds a bit of banana cream, which along with the oak is just incredible.

I cannot recommend this beer highly enough.

ETA: Over a year after my initial review of this beer I am still as fanatical about it. I've had it fresh from the factory, had it cellared for 8 months, and everywhere in between. I have to say that I think this beer holds up very well to cellaring, unlike most hoppy beers. If you have a four or 6-pack and you are feeling adventurous, I recommend sticking it in the back of your fridge with your Bourbon County stouts and giving it 6 months of ageing to experience the sweetness and smoothness that the aging imparts.

Had on tap at the brewery and loved it so I got a 4 pack.

Appearance: Pours a murky orange color with floaties.

Smell: Smells of hops citrus and oak.

Taste - Tastes like the regular Jai Alai with an oaky twang - hard to describe but a very nice flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel.

Overall: Overall, really good. One of the best and most interesting IPAs I've ever had.

EDIT: After my 4th bottle, this is in my top 5 IPAs. Absolutely delicious.

Rating: Just drink it
Price: $$$

This is what I wrote about Jai Alai original and it stands for the white oak version, too. What's the difference? Different taste. Still drinkable and well balanced? You bet.

It's all about whether you'll drink the beer again. This one I'll grab anytime there's a steak on the table. Super drinkable, well balanced. This is not a hop explosion but who needs a hop explosion all the time? Clean, super drinkable. Who would've think Florida could put out such a good beer?

12 oz can